News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: Chaos Seed English Translation Released!  (Read 23329 times)

SargeSmash

• View Profile
Re: Translations: Chaos Seed English Translation Released!
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2014, 01:04:59 pm »
I gave this a shot, and yeah, it is indeed a really weird game.  Lots of different things going on.  It looks really pretty, though.  ;)  I shouldn't have booted up right before bed, though, my eyes were glazing over a bit with all the tutorial stuff.  :P
For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?  -- Mark 8:36

Gi Nattak

• View Profile
    • http://ff6hacking.com/
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2014, 04:52:23 pm »
YES! Felt like Christmas just now seeing this awesome news. Thanks for the hard work to make this possible guys.

TheFireRed

• Restricted Access
  • Fall of Fall
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2014, 05:04:16 pm »
The game is surprisingly fun and I've never quite played anything like it. At first I was a bit reticent about the game mechanics, but... it's damn addictive!

Red Soul

• View Profile
    • Dynamic Designs
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2014, 05:27:46 pm »
The learning curve is quite steep, admittingly, but once everything clicks in your head, you'll see there is plenty to enjoy and many, many different ways to build your enchanted cave towards maximum efficiency (that brainstorming is part of the fun as well).

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2014, 07:44:16 pm »
Congrats DD on another release! Chaos Seed is certainly an interesting title and worthy of a translation. Thanks for keeping the spirit alive!  :beer:

Speaking from experience, it's very, very easy to 1) lose track of issues that need fixing, and 2) forget that you need to do a 1.01, then when you remember that it needs to be done, find yourself unsure of what needs to be fixed. There are several items in my back catalog that need updating, but it's been so long that I've lost track of the various bugs that people find. It doesn't help that different bugs are frequently posted on different message boards. Keep a concise list of issues that are still current and that have been fixed in a place you can find, fix things as they come up regardless of how exhausted you may feel, and don't forget to release.

Absolutely. I highly recommend any hacker with large (in time or scope) project/s think about and seriously consider some type of bug tracking software. As Draken has done, I also record any bugs reported from other sources in a central tracker w/ any associated links, files, images, notes, etc so there is record and it is not forgotten. The older I get, the more I value organization and how truly beneficial it can be. :)

TransCorp - Over 20 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

patuli

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2014, 07:46:30 pm »
This is great news!, another great snes rpg to play, i need some time to try it out, this days im busy with braverly default.
Anyway, thanks for your hard work and dedication to bring more classic games  in english.

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2014, 07:50:05 pm »
Believe it or not, I don't actually have any bug/issue tracking set up. Can anyone recommend some easy-to-set-up software, ideally something that could be hosted on my website so testers could get at it? Right now all I'm doing for "formal" bug tracking is having testers post screenshots and savestates on a hidden section of The Pantheon. I lock threads after I address the issues contained therein.

Draken

• The Lost Son
    • View Profile
    • Dynamic Designs
« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2014, 10:34:02 pm »
I use "Mantis". It was pretty easy to set up. At first it may look like overkill, but it is easily customizable so you can chop it down to something more to your liking.

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2014, 10:48:42 am »
Bugzilla and Mantis are probably the most popular open source ones, but there are a number of others you can look at. I actually use a custom tracker I wrote myself because the aforementioned software was heavy and overkill. I wanted something light and more tailored to ROM hacking.
TransCorp - Over 20 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

KC

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2014, 11:01:51 am »
I found trac to be pretty well suited. It's not that much of an overkill compared to most others, but it needs a few plugins to work well.

pelham123

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 18, 2014, 01:20:42 pm »
Congratulations guys!  :woot!:

Gi Nattak

• View Profile
    • http://ff6hacking.com/
« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2014, 04:01:49 am »
My first impressions are that this game is indeed weird, unique, and totally 'chinpokomon' feeling to me, in a good way, is the best I can describe it - kinda like one of those not-so-serious old-school Kung fu flicks. I must admit I have no idea what the hell to do with all these rooms or really anything for that matter, even after listening to the Master enlighten me, it all kinda went right over my head. It's almost laughable how thick they lay it on ya right off the bat. I too am playing late here, as so maybe I should start over in the morning, because it feels like taking an advanced college class trying to learn everything that is thrown at you right away, like Sentan, Senju, Senjutsu...I'm like, okay lets get back to killing monster spirit rocks, that was fun! The dialog/translation is funny and entertaining and well written though so far, I am enjoying it and will keep playing. :beer:
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 04:16:52 am by Gi Nattak »

Dashman

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 20, 2014, 05:56:08 am »
Amazing work. I had no idea this game even existed and it's truly one of those hidden gems you can't help but love. Thanks a lot! :)

I've spotted a couple of bugs probably unrelated to the translation:

1) When naming the Hero and Heroine, you can press L or R to change the character sets (which would originally be kana symbols and western characters). The routine to cycle through the sets seems to be slightly messed up: if you go to the left of the starting set, you'll be using the last, but if you go left again you'll remain in that set. The game remembers how "far left" you've gone, though, if you press L multiple times, you'll have to press R the same number of times to get back to the normal cycle. This works both ways. It's a trivial bug since 3 of the 4 character sets are the same, but it's there.

2) One of the things you're told by the Senju in the tutorial is that you can summon any Senju you named "by pressing Select". It took me a long while to guess that that's meant for when you're naming a newly summoned Senju. I kept giving names to every new Senju I summoned until I reached a point in which summoning a new one would cause a room to become corrupted: a gate became a wall (it still received Ki but didn't send through it). The game froze after the enemy scene past the recount time. Apparently, giving too many names to one type of Senju is bad (this happened with the Rat btw).

3) Related to the previous bug. I cycled through the given names of the conflictive (Rat) Senju pressing Select. They stopped changing after showing 32 names (it went through the list a couple of times, I probably have 14 - 15 different names for Rat Senjus). If I chose the name that remained, the same corruption happened. There didn't seem to be any problem with the Dragon or the Bird.

I used ZSNES 1.51 for this. Here's a savestate just before summoning the Senju:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/144016034/Chaos%20Seed%20-%20Fengshui%20Chronicles%20%5BNTSC-JAP%5D%28ENG%29.z14

The room that becomes corrupted is a small storage room (Earth element) in the lower part of the map (two rooms below where the Hero is).

Red Soul

• View Profile
    • Dynamic Designs
« Reply #53 on: April 20, 2014, 02:09:01 pm »
Thank you for your detailed report, we will investigate this.
I, however, have a few questions for you:

- Are you using the 1.01 patch? it fixes a specific corruption but the gamut of fixes
it brought may very well be greater.

- Did you try to reproduce this in a different emulator? Chaos Seed is quite quirky and
many things that happen with it aren't related to the patch at all, but Zsnes is far from
a desirable environment for it to run.

If possible, please also post this issue on D-D's Chaos Seed forum, just so we can keep
track of things internally as well as externally.

Dashman

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 20, 2014, 03:07:43 pm »
Yes, I was using the 1.01 patch and no, I've only tested it on Zsnes. I'm aware there's better emus out there but I'm kinda used to this one so... I'll go report it on D-D's forum, although from the posts I'm reading, Bongo` will want to murder me :D

CrocMagnum

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 21, 2014, 10:53:06 am »
You Romhackers know how to put a smile on my face. :laugh:

Many many many thanks for your time and dedication!
Pity the world if you fail Spirit Monk, for you are the last. (Jade Empire)

9volt Kappa

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 07, 2014, 03:44:17 pm »
Thanks guys, this is a game I've been wanting to play for years.