News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Stuck on the nuance...again!  (Read 2529 times)

weissvulf

• Good news! An anomaly solved the enigma.
    • View Profile
Stuck on the nuance...again!
« on: April 13, 2014, 06:56:01 pm »
This is a 'battle event' from the game Brigandine. The two knights are on opposite sides and they're "talking smack" to each other before the battle begins. What's confusing me is the significance of Ulster reply to being accused of being a 'pervert'.

Ulster's character is supposed to be the only straight man in a "in a court of royal loonies" so I'm thinking he has so much built up frustration over having to work with crazy knight's that he kind of has a melt down when he's accused of being a pervert.

Any help or opinions on good phrasing would be welcomed thanks!

Merriot (Young Princess)
出たわね、イスカリオ軍!
気をつけなくちゃ、どーせまたこいつもヘンタイなんだわ。
ほんとにイスカリオってまともなヤツがいないんだから!
ヤんなっちゃう。

Ulster (Only sane guy in a court of loonies)
へ、変態‥‥私が!?
く‥‥な、なぜ私がこのようなことを言われねばならないのだ!
カーレオンのメリオット!
あなたのようにまともな宮廷しか知らぬ姫君に、私の‥‥
私の苦労がわかってたまるものかあああっ!!

Merriot
あら、キレてる。
やっぱりアブないかんじね‥‥

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
Re: Stuck on the nuance...again!
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 07:18:18 pm »
It doesn’t sound like he was singled out, but rather included in a blanket statement. So at that point, he’s probably entitled to take it personally and say you have no. idea.
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

weissvulf

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 07:45:59 pm »
 Thanks BRPXQZME  :) That's part of what I find a little confusing. She's making a blanket statement which it seems like Ulster would agree with. So I could almost picture that he's mostly upset because of what he has to put up with all the time rather than what Meriott says. I'm not sure it would make a difference in the final translation, but I like to fully understand what's going on before deciding the final working.

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 10:51:53 pm »
I guess I’m not understanding what’s confusing.

Not knowing the context and characters, he might be having a case of betrayed expectations. He’s used to everyone in his kingdom crapping on his life, but a princess of all people? Hence an ineffective but safe retort/rationalization that she’s from a more decent court (as a less guarded person might say, sheltered), but phrased as an angry question.

Anyway, the キレてる line makes me think she was trying to provoke him. And so I guess it worked.

weissvulf

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 11:45:24 pm »
That basically answers what I was wondering!

In Brigandine, these 'battle quips' are used to reinforce the characters main traits. Unless you're playing as Ulster's country, the above text is the only dialog you see to flesh out his character other than his unit description. So it's important for me to get right.

I get that he's upset, but since Ulster doesn't blurt out something definitive like "You will die for insulting my honor," when he says 'a princess from a decent court like yours couldn't understand what I've been through' I could almost picture it being him asking for sympathy. As in 'yeah the nut jobs I work for are bad I wish I worked someplace like you do princess"
Or, I could picture it meaning he's irate as in 'how dare you call me bad when the people I work with are worse". 

Maybe I'm just obsessing on this and splitting hairs, but I try to 'flavor' my word translation choices  to support such distinctions.

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 02:22:10 am »
Sure, I’d like to think subtext is important in a translation. Extremely important in English, at any rate. The diction does resemble a dogged courtier, but you don’t get backstory out of that alone.

Spoiler:
Translation-ruining thought of the day: Well, excUUUuuuUUuse me, Princess!

weissvulf

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 11:52:15 am »
As always, thank you very much BRPXQZME  ;)  I'm still learning this Japanese stuff so your input is quite helpful. :cookie: