News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Other: BS Zelda no Densetsu English Dub  (Read 7271 times)

RHDNBot

Other: BS Zelda no Densetsu English Dub
« on: July 14, 2016, 05:17:07 pm »

Update By: FCandChill

BS Zelda no Densetsu is an interesting curiosity from Nintendo's Japan-only add-on for the Satellaview. The ability to download games from a satelite was mind blowing for it's time. While playing the downloaded game, BS Zelda no Densetsu, Japanese gamers experienced broadcasted Japanese commentary from voice actors in real time. This experience was only temporary and only available to Japanese speakers ... until now!

Some very dedicated fans managed to fully dub their already existing restoration project of the game (that's hosted on this site). Now players can get the full experience of being a Japanese gamer back in the 90s! All the files needed to play the game are available on the developers' website.

Relevant Link

Shiryu

• No Surrender, No Retreat.
    • View Profile
    • Shiryu Music
Re: Other: BS Zelda no Densetsu English Dub
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2016, 06:53:13 pm »
This is a stellar effort. You can watch some gameplay footage of the English dubs on my channel:
[ Map 1  | Map 2 ]

I picked the news tip from Retro Collect and ran an article on Nintendo Life. Went to bed at 2AM that night but it was completely worth it.

...anyone else thinks the narrator sounds a lot like Worf from Star Trek: The Next Generation?

xnamkcor

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2016, 07:04:46 pm »
MSU is a good idea for cart compatability, but could there be a version that works with a plugin-based player, like that one Sonic jukebox one did with Winamp?

Josephine Lithius

• :)
    • View Profile
    • JosephineLithius @ Tumblr
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2016, 10:18:34 pm »
As absolutely neat as this is, I'd really love to see someone come up with a "live broadcast" version of this game like the original Japanese broadcast that people can log in and play four seperate weeks, rather than just a "replayed" version like this.  ... unless it was never actually live to begin with.  Boy, that would be disheartening.
I'm not that hard to find... if you know where to look.
-=( http://josephinelithius.tumblr.com )=-

SmashManiac

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2016, 11:23:25 pm »
Thanks FCandChill for the news and Shiryu for the article on Nintendo Life! I'm really happy to see how our project is spreading even though we did no promotion at all.

We're working a BS Zelda Ancient Stone Tablets dub too, so if you enjoy this one you have something to look forward to!

@xnamkcor: It's not just about cart compatibility, but also about syncing gameplay and audio perfectly, and you need an accurate emulator do achieve that. Right now, only higan and its derivatives are able to do so. Otherwise, you could literally just start the dub in a normal audio player at the same time you start the game and achieve the same effect.

@Doc Lithius: The game was played live, but not through the Internet. It was actually broadcast through satellite radio. Considering this, emulating the original Satellaview infrastructure would make no difference in terms of gameplay except enforce the start and end time of each episode, which is not very convenient for most people.

xnamkcor

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2016, 11:56:31 pm »
@xnamkcor: It's not just about cart compatibility, but also about syncing gameplay and audio perfectly, and you need an accurate emulator do achieve that. Right now, only higan and its derivatives are able to do so. Otherwise, you could literally just start the dub in a normal audio player at the same time you start the game and achieve the same effect.

We're talking about something that was broadcast over telecom with no interaction right? There was never a need for the voice acting to happen "exactly" at any time in relation to the game. So, if the music player takes a second to start playing, it should be fine.

Did you guys completely dub all the dialogue in the game? Did you guys do sound effects that need to sync up with action on screen?

Fredde

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2016, 03:20:14 am »
This is one of those things that I've thought "wouldn't it be neat if...? But nobody's ever going to do it." So I'm glad someone did actually do it!

It does make me wonder if it would be possible to create some kind of "subtitle" feature in a BS emulator, so you could play the game with the original japanese voices, with an english subtitle at the bottom.

StreetTrash

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2016, 02:48:57 pm »
What an amazing project. I would have honestly never thought anyone would take on the challenge of going over to dub all the audio. Always wondered what it would have been like to be able to play this the way it was intended. Thanks so much!
vive le zopharsdomaindonutparodiusthewhirlpoolrhdn~!

SmashManiac

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2016, 08:29:46 pm »
Thanks Fredde and StreetTrash! I hope you like it!

We're talking about something that was broadcast over telecom with no interaction right? There was never a need for the voice acting to happen "exactly" at any time in relation to the game. So, if the music player takes a second to start playing, it should be fine.
The issue is not the initial sync, but the game's framerate. An error as low as 0.1 FPS causes a desync of about 5 seconds, which is way too much to be enjoyable.

Did you guys completely dub all the dialogue in the game?
Yes, except for the written dialog which was not dubbed in the original version to begin with, and an announcement at the end of the game to record the result password and send it to Nintendo for prizes.

Did you guys do sound effects that need to sync up with action on screen?
Yes, for example when the old man casts a spell. Even the music had to be synced to match in-game events.

It does make me wonder if it would be possible to create some kind of "subtitle" feature in a BS emulator, so you could play the game with the original japanese voices, with an english subtitle at the bottom.
Yes, but not with the original Japanese audio, since it's either lost or sealed in a Nintendo vault somewhere. The only version that survived is a VHS playthrough recording that got dumped on NicoNicoDouga, and it's polluted by in-game SFX. We were able to recover almost all of the music tracks because they were repeated several times during the playthrough, but subtracting SFX from a low-quality audio track hundreds of times is a whole different beast. Even then, I don't think it's a good idea in the first place unfortunately, since it would be very hard to play the game and read the subtitles simultaneously.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 08:37:56 pm by SmashManiac »

xnamkcor

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2016, 12:03:19 am »
Thanks Fredde and StreetTrash! I hope you like it!
The issue is not the initial sync, but the game's framerate. An error as low as 0.1 FPS causes a desync of about 5 seconds, which is way too much to be enjoyable.
Yes, except for the written dialog which was not dubbed in the original version to begin with, and an announcement at the end of the game to record the result password and send it to Nintendo for prizes.
Yes, for example when the old man casts a spell. Even the music had to be synced to match in-game events.
Yes, but not with the original Japanese audio, since it's either lost or sealed in a Nintendo vault somewhere. The only version that survived is a VHS playthrough recording that got dumped on NicoNicoDouga, and it's polluted by in-game SFX. We were able to recover almost all of the music tracks because they were repeated several times during the playthrough, but subtracting SFX from a low-quality audio track hundreds of times is a whole different beast. Even then, I don't think it's a good idea in the first place unfortunately, since it would be very hard to play the game and read the subtitles simultaneously.

I wonder if a rudimentary WAV playback could be put into an lesser accurate emulator. Much like how pre-decrypted graphics packs used to be used for certain ROMs. It would allow people to point to WAV filesets of the voice acting, instead of relying on accurate emulation of MSU, which their computer may not be able to handle.

SmashManiac

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2016, 10:19:15 am »
I wonder if a rudimentary WAV playback could be put into an lesser accurate emulator.
Yes it's possible. In fact, that was our initial plan years ago. We dropped that plan for several reasons however:
  • The difficulty of handling the major desync issue mentioned earlier at an acceptable level, considering it would get better or worse depending on the player's actions.
  • MSU-1 supports FMVs. We used that to restore the game's lengthy introduction.
  • MSU-1 is supported by the popular sd2snes, allowing compatibility on real hardware without manufacturing custom cartridges.
  • The trouble of developing and popularize a very custom emulator for a handful of games when there's already a popular general solution available.
  • For people stuck with low-end PCs, we had already developed a hack with the most important parts of the dialog embedded in the game. It's not the full experience, but it's a good substitute.
I'm not saying that there isn't value in developing a solution for low-end PCs, just that we couldn't think of a good solution and that it's not something we wanted to invest in.

By the way, another alternative considered was to reverse-engineer the BS-X architecture and emulate it, but that would have made real hardware support practically impossible.

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2016, 12:32:17 pm »
I dont' suppose someone could make a lets play of this could they? My computer ain't powerful enough to run this and I wanna see the new intro and the new dub too.

July 16, 2016, 12:48:05 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
This is a stellar effort. You can watch some gameplay footage of the English dubs on my channel:
[ Map 1  | Map 2 ]

I picked the news tip from Retro Collect and ran an article on Nintendo Life. Went to bed at 2AM that night but it was completely worth it.

...anyone else thinks the narrator sounds a lot like Worf from Star Trek: The Next Generation?

LOL, Map 1 links to map 2 and map 2 links to map 1.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 12:48:05 pm by MathUser2929 »

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2016, 02:07:17 pm »
We're working a BS Zelda Ancient Stone Tablets dub too, so if you enjoy this one you have something to look forward to!
I thought I read once that someone was working on BS Super Mario USA?  Or is that someone else?

I wonder if a rudimentary WAV playback could be put into an lesser accurate emulator. Much like how pre-decrypted graphics packs used to be used for certain ROMs.
Something like that was done in ZSNES once (I think it was to use the "Chrono Tied" soundtrack with Chrono Trigger), and there was much outrage and gnashing of teeth that someone would dare to make something so crude as an emulator hack when something like MSU1 already exists.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

SmashManiac

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2016, 07:46:11 pm »
I thought I read once that someone was working on BS Super Mario USA?  Or is that someone else?
Pretty sure nobody. First, only episodes 1 and 4 have a dumped recorded playthrough as far as I know, so a full dub is impossible. Second, the only effort I've seen so far was a credits translation.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2016, 06:02:19 pm »
We're talking about something that was broadcast over telecom with no interaction right?
From what I understand, it was effectively a live radio broadcast.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2016, 06:08:07 pm »
I bet the Japanese wish for a Japanese version of this hack.