News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Other: New Alttp forum opened  (Read 10704 times)

RHDNBot

Other: New Alttp forum opened
« on: April 10, 2014, 03:26:34 am »

Update By: puzzledude

Today (on the best april fools day ever) a special forum has been opened to public, Zeldix, equal to SMW central (only this time it is A link to the past that's being modified).

Join your primary A link to the past hacking resource.

SePH wrote:
A year and a half ago, in order to finish my hack much faster, I’ve created a secret message board for my hack in development. It was meant at first as a workplace for me, Puzzledude and Euclid as secret hideout for us to concentrate on all the features and aspects of this hack without the need of sending multiple emails between each of us.

Overtime, I’ve invited other people currently making Zelda 3 hacks and eventually it simply became an enormous resource/help for hacking this game! Pretty much everyone contributed something, whether it is documents, asm patches, small hacks… Anything that could help us change other aspects of this game beyond Hyrule Magic. Called ”Zeldix”, it could be almost regarded as the vatican secret archives, only that it’s meant for Zelda 3 modding instead!

People say, that sharing is caring.. so today, it is my great pleasure to make it open to the general public! I’m hoping that by doing so, it’ll give greater hopes to people who think that Zelda 3 hacking in general has been hibernating! Far from that actually, we just have been working in secret ;) If you’re just curious or anything, you can of course just visit us to say hi! We won’t bite!

Regarding the future beta testing phase of Parallel Universes, it’ll be required to register an account there since I’ll create private sub forums when the times comes!
Oh yeah, almost forgot, here’s the address!

http://zeldix.openphpbb.com/login

I’m pretty sure that’s the best April Fools you’ll ever get!
( Maybe because it isn’t a true one ;) )

P.S: If you ever wondered why my hack has advanced so much in so little time, Zeldix is the only reason for that! See you there!

Relevant Link: (http://zeldix.openphpbb.com/login)

GHANMI

• View Profile
Re: Other: New Alttp forum opened
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 08:17:31 am »
Nice. Hopefully the text encryption in the GBA port is figured out someday..

xnamkcor

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 10:01:47 am »
Nice. Hopefully the text encryption in the GBA port is figured out someday..

Why? Is there encrypted text in the GBA version of worth?

GHANMI

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 10:37:17 am »
The GBA version has additional content (moves, dungeons) and a different engine.
Besides a palette hack to make it more darker, it's the definitive version.

xnamkcor

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 01:59:45 pm »
So, my decrypting the text we'll be able to decompile the source for the additional content?

GHANMI

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2014, 10:16:22 pm »
Or just use the GBA version as a basis, for change.
You can pick up fishes and stuff like that, could be useful for adding sidequests. (of course to add/modify dialogues you'll need to edit the text)
And the diving could be exploited more than it was ever in the GBA version.

In fact I'm interested in doing a translation of the GBA one but I'm stumped by the compression used.

PhyChris

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2014, 10:33:13 pm »
The SNES version has superior resolution/potential capabilities  then the GBA version. Everything you said was better about the GBA can be added to the SNES with a little ASM'ing and when I say "potential capabilities" The SNES can make use of expansion chips (Super-FX, SA-1, DSP-1, etc...) There is a guy over at SMW Central that greatly enhanced the Super Mario World game engine by moving some code to the SA-1 chip for example.

what would really be the tits is if someone adds all the GBA stuff to the SNES version :)

Seeeeph

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2014, 11:44:44 pm »
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 09:43:33 pm by Seeeeph »

puzzledude

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2014, 08:40:48 am »
It is to be noted, that we are modifying the SNES VERSION of the game. NOT GBA. The latter has a totaly different engine and console.

The forum is now freely accesible without registering.

http://www.zeldix.net/forum

xnamkcor

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2014, 04:04:56 am »
Or just use the GBA version as a basis, for change.
You can pick up fishes and stuff like that, could be useful for adding sidequests. (of course to add/modify dialogues you'll need to edit the text)
And the diving could be exploited more than it was ever in the GBA version.

In fact I'm interested in doing a translation of the GBA one but I'm stumped by the compression used.

Using the GBA version? Are you high? That's like deciding to make a Doom level editor that edits the SNES ROM.

PS: Zeldix. Most unfortunate name ever, or best name ever?

CUE

• View Profile
    • Nasío pa'jakear
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2014, 05:16:34 am »
Whats wrong with the GBA version? You can use it to extract the script (GBA version is MULTI5) and use it in the SNES version to translate the game. So would the same dialogs in both versions.

puzzledude

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2014, 08:29:04 am »
Using the GBA version? Are you high? That's like deciding to make a Doom level editor that edits the SNES ROM.

Just what I was thinking. A link to the past is a SNES game. Every study of A link to the past was done for the SNES version (obviously). Original authors simply traversed this game onto the GBA, to also make it available there. But essentially the GBA version is a poor copy of the original, with much more complicated engine, less appealing for editing.

Did you know that A link to the past is also available on Wii. So why don't we edit the Wii version?

Maybe we should change the subname of the forum: Your primary SNES A link to the past hacking resource.

Of course we are also prepared to accept topics, that try to modify other Zelda games, and Alttp-GBA-version is such a game. Since the engine is completely changed, this is a different game (but because it looks the same and even has the same name, it can confuse lots of people). But don't be confused: the GBA version is a different game (that needs its subforum or subtopic).

-----------------

I hope this is clear now. We edit something for SNES, and the GBA version is for a different console. Or in other words: completely incompatible.

It even goes further: the SNES EU version of Alttp is coded in a different way, than the SNES US version.

So that's what we are editing: the SNES US version. Everything else is not compatible.

So: if we are talking about Alttp modding, and you bring up the GBA version, you are unfortunately completely off course (unless you want to study a completely different game).
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 08:40:18 am by puzzledude »

PhyChris

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2014, 08:42:44 pm »
@puzzledude

quick note: the wii version is the same as the snes version, Infact you can unpack the .wad and run the rom in any SNES emulator or insert a SNES rom back into the .wad and run it on the wii :)

GHANMI

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2014, 07:13:20 am »
So: if we are talking about Alttp modding, and you bring up the GBA version, you are unfortunately completely off course (unless you want to study a completely different game).

Well, you made your intentions and your opinion clear in your first post, no need for stating it twice.
I perfectly know they both use different engines.
But there's a tiny detail.. Both the SNES and GBA versions are named "A Link to the Past".
You think they are two different games, and that "A Link to the Past" refers only to the SNES version. I said something, an idea of mine. You further clarified your intent (including how mentioning Alttp GBA is a taboo), which I would have no way to know if not for your reply so thanks a lot I guess. I fail to understand why you felt the need of repeating yourself. Did I spam rude replies or mock people or something?

And it's not like there's no one who worked on a GBA port of a SNES game (Final Fantasy 6 GBA, which was hacked extensively, comes to mind). Thus it's not exactly an illegitimate personal path of thought or some sort of blasphemous act, and I think I'm sober enough, thank you very much.

Good luck on your endeavours on the SNES Alttp version. No, the US SNES Alttp version (since the other SNES regional versions got completely reprogrammed when no one was looking).
Apologies for posting off-topic here about an Alttp port. What was I thinking?
Thanks a lot for your moral lesson, I could have slipped to the dark side and *gasp* talked about BS-X Zelda Ancient Stone Tablets.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 07:18:36 am by GHANMI »

CUE

• View Profile
    • Nasío pa'jakear
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2014, 07:46:42 am »
+1 GHANMI

xnamkcor

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2014, 10:39:57 am »
Well, you made your intentions and your opinion clear in your first post, no need for stating it twice.
I perfectly know they both use different engines.
But there's a tiny detail.. Both the SNES and GBA versions are named "A Link to the Past".
You think they are two different games, and that "A Link to the Past" refers only to the SNES version. I said something, an idea of mine. You further clarified your intent (including how mentioning Alttp GBA is a taboo), which I would have no way to know if not for your reply so thanks a lot I guess. I fail to understand why you felt the need of repeating yourself. Did I spam rude replies or mock people or something?

And it's not like there's no one who worked on a GBA port of a SNES game (Final Fantasy 6 GBA, which was hacked extensively, comes to mind). Thus it's not exactly an illegitimate personal path of thought or some sort of blasphemous act, and I think I'm sober enough, thank you very much.

Good luck on your endeavours on the SNES Alttp version. No, the US SNES Alttp version (since the other SNES regional versions got completely reprogrammed when no one was looking).
Apologies for posting off-topic here about an Alttp port. What was I thinking?
Thanks a lot for your moral lesson, I could have slipped to the dark side and *gasp* talked about BS-X Zelda Ancient Stone Tablets.

Final Fantasy 3 and Final Fantasy 3 have the same name.

GHANMI

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2014, 11:39:01 am »
Final Fantasy 3 and Final Fantasy 3 have the same name.

Wrong.
It's
ファイナルファンタジーIII ™ (for the Famicom 2D Japan-exclusive game)... it never had an official western name, after all
and
FINAL FANTASY III ™ (for the Nintendo DS™ / PlayStation Portable™ / iPhone™ / Android™ / Ouyalol 3D remake)

It's understandable though why they would be confused. They are almost identical, they use the same 1990 look, engine, music, sprites*cough*, glitches, typos in the English *cough**cough* text.

Thanks a lot for the valuable intervention though, much appreciated (this is not sarcasm).
I guess the thread has been derailed enough already? You know, talking about FF3 here is off-topic (as is Alttp GBA, or Kamigami no Triforce SFC/Alttp SNES PAL, but that's another thing)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 11:50:07 am by GHANMI »

xnamkcor

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2014, 12:09:18 pm »
Don't worry about it. Not everyone here has to be technically inclined. This is also a consumption site, not just a creative one. It's ok if you're not keen on the technical details of how games work. You're still welcome to browse and help on the non-technical side of projects.

Seeeeph

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2014, 10:55:12 am »
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 09:44:14 pm by Seeeeph »

xnamkcor

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2014, 10:48:59 pm »
There is a difference between porting features, and proposing we use the GBA version as the base ROM for hacks of LttP.

Can we hack in the feature, where, if you beat the game without dying, saving, or quitting, when you reset and start a new game you end up OOB "in" the sanctuary as the bunny?