News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: Pokémon Throwback - Evolve Your Pokémon Experience!  (Read 8686 times)

RHDNBot

Update By: RichterSnipes

Yes, Pokémon FireRed hacks are a dime a dozen. However, Pokémon Throwback doesn't seek to be like the rest. This hack's goal is NOT to rewrite the story, grant access to many full generations of Pokémon uncomfortably cramped into a single game, or increase the difficulty of the game. Wait...what?

Instead, the goal of Pokémon Throwback is simple: To make the most complete, featured, version-transcending, official-feeling version of the original 1st Gen adventure. Simply put, this hack, started two years ago, strives to be the quintessential version of Pokémon Red/Green/Blue/FireRed/LeafGreen.

With this hack, you'll get access to all the Kanto Pokémon, with the Johto Pokémon as a post-game bonus. You will be able to listen to the original, 8-bit music and switch between the retro and advanced soundtracks at any time. Dress the main characters in their original outfits to heighten the sense of nostalgia. But that's not all. Want decapitalized text? Throwback's got you covered. Want reusable TMs and move tutors? You got it. What about trees you only ever have to cut once, running indoors, a more aesthetically-pleasing Mt. Moon, access to extra items, and more? Come right in. Along with a host of error fixes for the base game, Throwback tries to accomodate to every desire of the gamer who wants only the best for his or her games.

Check out a test of the new GB Player item below. The next time you want to play vanilla Pokémon FireRed or LeafGreen, do it with Throwback! You'll never be able to go back to the base game again.

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link: (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1xogBhGcd0)

Chpexo

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 07:32:44 pm »
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 10:21:21 am by Chpexo »

vince94

• View Profile
Re: ROM Hacks: Pokémon Throwback - Evolve Your Pokémon Experience!
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 11:04:22 pm »
A note to other people trying this out for the first time - you have to pick up the GB Player from Red's desk, next to his computer, or it won't be in his Key Items.
I love the combination of classic music and modern graphics. :D

RichterSnipes

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 03:00:35 pm »
    Wow nice hack :thumbsup: . I'm glad to see some do this. It doesn't act like the GB player in the G/S remake. I don't think I've ever seen any Gameboy Advanced utilize the 8-bit sound channels to this extent before.
Thanks! I actually surprised myself how accurate I've been able to get the tracks to sound thus far. There'll probably always be some combination of very slight inaccuracies, but I'm not sure which boil down to my lack of proper implementation, lack of proper GB Synth emulation, or the GBA's overall lack of 100% accuracy in replicating the 8-bit GB sounds. I'm still always learning things with it!

One thing's for sure, though: After making the hack, to me the GB tracks in HG/SS now scream laziness or last-second addition.  :D

Pingouin7

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 09:45:03 am »
Sounds neat.

Now I just have to modify Pokémon Emerald so that I can obtain every Gen. III Pokémon without trading (except trade-evolve stuff and such) and I'll be set.

Edit: I'm reading the readme, what does the "Time-based evolutions ASM" hack imply? How does it work?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 09:50:52 am by Pingouin7 »

RichterSnipes

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 04:53:41 pm »
Sounds neat.

Now I just have to modify Pokémon Emerald so that I can obtain every Gen. III Pokémon without trading (except trade-evolve stuff and such) and I'll be set.

Edit: I'm reading the readme, what does the "Time-based evolutions ASM" hack imply? How does it work?
Enjoy that! I sincerely mean it. I don't want Throwback to undermine the primary 3rd Gen games (R/S/E), so encouraging people to check out the Hoenn region for what it's worth is, in my opinion, the best course of action.

I only included the most base version of the real-time clock in the hack. Since I don't have any time-based events in it, including day/night transitions would serve no practical purpose. The extent of the RTC's inclusion is to allow Eevee to evolve into Espeon or Umbreon based on the time of day. I believe it evolves into Espeon from 6 AM to 6 PM, and Umbreon from 6 PM to 6 AM.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2014, 11:12:44 am »
Sounds neat.

FYI there's a few Pokemon that still aren't in Emerald: Lunatone, Zangoose, Meditite, Surskit, and Roselia.  But you can add them with your standard map edits.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 11:19:40 am by Chronosplit »

RichterSnipes

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2014, 02:42:06 pm »
I've released an update to the hack that improves the GB Player functionality. It includes a few added jingles, accuracy improvements, and a major bug fix, among other things.

If anyone's interested in the improvements, check it out!