News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Zelda's Eternal Youth (ZEY) - 2018 [Continued]  (Read 64608 times)

Airikita

• Running through my mind is hell...
    • View Profile
Re: Zelda's Eternal Youth (ZEY) - Zelda Ocarina of Time Mod [Incomplete]
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2015, 06:31:34 pm »
I wonder if you have the new design of the equipment screen done or if that's just a tease on the left side. :P

I just have two things to say. One, the bow looks a little plain compared to the rest of the items. Is the bow just temporary design or is that its final? Two, I wanted to ask why you switched the A and B buttons on the HUD. That seems like unnecessary work to me.
1) the equipment design is done, it's shown in the video.
2) yeah, the bow design is temporary. I don't like it, but I have a big to-do list still.
3) I switched the A+B for restoration reasons, and it adds an extra twist when you play it on console (yes, it works on console), so it has that added challenge.

TheZunar123

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2015, 09:13:07 pm »
Welp, maybe I should actually look at everything before asking questions. :P Love that equipment screen design, can't wait for the rest to be done.

By "restoration reasons", do you mean like changing it to be like the original Zelda?
Speedrunner and Let's Player.
www.youtube.com/ZunarSR

Airikita

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2015, 09:52:15 pm »
Welp, maybe I should actually look at everything before asking questions. :P Love that equipment screen design, can't wait for the rest to be done.

By "restoration reasons", do you mean like changing it to be like the original Zelda?
Yeah, just for the sake of doing it. I've restored quite a few beta things, yet it's always a long haul when making them work out.

TheZunar123

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2015, 09:58:16 pm »
Speaking of the original Zelda, personally it's always irritated me that A is the sword. In almost every other game (Mario Bros, Zelda 2, Contra, Metroid, Mega Man...), B is attack and A is jump. I mean I know you can't jump in Zelda 1, but A should've been items instead of B. It makes no sense and annoys me when games swap those two, especially if A and B are swapped in menus. B = Back, A = Accept, get it right devs.
www.youtube.com/ZunarSR

Airikita

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2015, 10:19:05 pm »
Speaking of the original Zelda, personally it's always irritated me that A is the sword. In almost every other game (Mario Bros, Zelda 2, Contra, Metroid, Mega Man...), B is attack and A is jump. I mean I know you can't jump in Zelda 1, but A should've been items instead of B. It makes no sense and annoys me when games swap those two, especially if A and B are swapped in menus. B = Back, A = Accept, get it right devs.
I guess if I switched the actual controls, it would be more challenging in that sense... because your usual OoT gamers would be used to it being the way it is. I get the annoyance though, but do you think it would work for OoT if I did that? If I can swap the inputs somehow, I could try.

TheZunar123

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2015, 01:24:13 pm »
It's your hack so your choice, but personally that would be an annoyance for me. Probably not enough to completely ignore the game though (heck, worst case I just swap the buttons on my emulator).
www.youtube.com/ZunarSR

Airikita

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2015, 05:14:36 pm »
It's your hack so your choice, but personally that would be an annoyance for me. Probably not enough to completely ignore the game though (heck, worst case I just swap the buttons on my emulator).
lol yeah, I realized that when I switch the sword to A. I was like "lol, this seems pointless on emulator". At least for console it would be a switch. I'll put it under the "maybe" list.

TheZunar123

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2015, 05:21:16 pm »
If you do swap the buttons, you might want to switch the colors of the buttons on the HUD to stay true to the actual controller's colors. Also you'll have to change Navi's text to reflect that, unless you're leaving out that text altogether.
www.youtube.com/ZunarSR

Airikita

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2015, 06:20:24 pm »
If you do swap the buttons, you might want to switch the colors of the buttons on the HUD to stay true to the actual controller's colors. Also you'll have to change Navi's text to reflect that, unless you're leaving out that text altogether.
Well yeah, I have notes on how to change the button colors from the swap. I had to make them green/blue because they were red/something because it's the debug version. I also had to make the start button icon red too.

TheZunar123

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2015, 06:47:47 pm »
I believe the debug version's colors are the same as the GC port: red/green/grey instead of green/blue/red.

You know, I just had a thought. Is it feasible move Navi and the first-person view to somewhere else like the D-Pad and open up C-Up to be another item slot? That'd probably require a lot of hacking, actually... Might be cool to have that though. Depends on how much work it would be. Or, heck, open the D-Pad up to item slots, that might be cooler, though probably loads more difficult.
www.youtube.com/ZunarSR

Airikita

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2015, 08:12:40 pm »
I believe the debug version's colors are the same as the GC port: red/green/grey instead of green/blue/red.

You know, I just had a thought. Is it feasible move Navi and the first-person view to somewhere else like the D-Pad and open up C-Up to be another item slot? That'd probably require a lot of hacking, actually... Might be cool to have that though. Depends on how much work it would be. Or, heck, open the D-Pad up to item slots, that might be cooler, though probably loads more difficult.
That... hm... would require more space for extra spots... I'm sure there could be the option to swap items without the D-pad being used. I can make it so that you just hit the L-button to switch between item sets, or hold the L-button to use the secondary items. In fact, it would be loads easier to have the player hold the L-button, otherwise I have to account for the player letting the button go requiring more variables to be used.

I'm sure the D-pad can be used another way. Of course, now there's the obvious issue of finding space in RAM for the read-outs. But yeah, it's possible to have a 2nd set of items, just not as easy with the D-pad.

It would be fun to do so.

Anyways, might be a few weeks... the current hassle of the bow is giving me a headache over my changes. Apparently equipping magic arrows makes the game assume that the bow is being set in the 2nd inventory... which now looks strange. I have coded up a way to keep the selection boxes independent, however the magic arrows are now a new hassle.

TheZunar123

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2015, 10:22:19 pm »
If you did code some kind of L Button secondary item set, perhaps you could make it an upgrade similar to how Link Between Worlds had the Pouch item that opened up the X Button? Might be a cool idea, especially since you won't have many items in the beginning of the game. Could be useful about halfway through when your inventory is starting to fill up, particularly since it seems like you're adding another inventory screen.
www.youtube.com/ZunarSR

Airikita

• View Profile
Re: Zelda\'s Eternal Youth (ZEY) - Zelda Ocarina of Time Mod [Incomplete]
« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2015, 10:31:49 pm »
If you did code some kind of L Button secondary item set, perhaps you could make it an upgrade similar to how Link Between Worlds had the Pouch item that opened up the X Button? Might be a cool idea, especially since you won't have many items in the beginning of the game. Could be useful about halfway through when your inventory is starting to fill up, particularly since it seems like you're adding another inventory screen.
Yeah, I'll have to ponder about it... I'm starting to think of an idea for that for it to work. One method requires creating a way to prevent input spamming, and the other requires a lot of re-coding and hooks. Might go with the first concept and make it work with an upgrade later. There is an item I can use in place of such an upgrade that already acts as an upgrade item.

January 27, 2015, 12:09:53 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)

Both inventories will now equip both panels.

Before the fix, there was an issue where, if the same row was equipped to the c-buttons, the game assumed it was the same item being equipped, and would remove the other item. This happened with the Bunny Hood and the Bow because both of them were in slot 4. I changed it to check for the item IDs instead.

There was also an issue when equipping magic arrows, my custom search for the selection would fail to find it in each panel (doing a looped item search for both), so that was fixed to set the flag for the 1st inventory selection as to not have that conflict.

This does result in two minor inconveniences:
  • You can't equip multiple bottles of the same type
    (meaning if you have a row of fairies in 4 bottles, you can only equip one only, you can't put 3 on different C-buttons)
  • You can equip multiple types of bows (such as the different magic arrows)

That being said, these are minor inconveniences, and doesn't affect the result. The good thing, for now, is that the separate item panels don't have that conflict with items. I mean, who doesn't enjoy wearing bunny ears while shooting a bow? Geeze... I sure do!  :3

Also: credit to Aeroblast43o9 for the new bow icon.
It was due for a change which I probably wouldn't gotten around to for a while until my to-do list got to that point.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 12:19:35 am by Airikita »

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2015, 03:49:20 pm »
That is an epic new bow. :D And I'm diggin the layout of the pause screen!
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

TheZunar123

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2015, 08:41:59 pm »
I approve of the new bow look. :thumbsup:

I think the minor inconveniences are just that: minor. It's not often someone will equip multiples of the same items into their slots, especially considering how few slots there are. Also having multiple arrows actually might be useful, so I don't even see that as an inconvenience really.
www.youtube.com/ZunarSR

kuja killer

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2015, 12:23:17 am »
So question - about this whole extra inventory thing, does that mean you got rid of the dungeon map screen for dungeon's/temples ?? :(

Or will that stay ? (i hope) --- if you've figured out in the past or something how to edit the dungeon maps (to reflect the new places you make out of them)

Airikita

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2015, 12:28:26 am »
So question - about this whole extra inventory thing, does that mean you got rid of the dungeon map screen for dungeon's/temples ?? :(

Or will that stay ? (i hope) --- if you've figured out in the past or something how to edit the dungeon maps (to reflect the new places you make out of them)
No, maps will be gone to make room for more dungeons I will be placing in the game. The dungeon maps are limited. If I want, say... 10 or 20 floors, dungeon maps only show maybe 3 to 5 floors... and there's not many options for rooms with the existing dungeons.

Also consider that the dungeon maps images, the file itself, is not necessarily extendable... meaning I may not be able to add anything to it for this to work.

I am still limited to the number of dungeons, for now... but I can still implement more. I could likely extend the maps to have more, but the work required to format everything to be called correctly is a mess that would take up more time than needed for just aesthetics.

I could add dungeon maps, but then what will cut into having a 2nd part to ZEY. It would be easier to extend the save data, and even that requires a shitload of re-coding for all the AI in the game if I do... which I may not end up doing. There should be plenty of room, though, for a lot more dungeons than what exists already. However the dungeon maps are not important.

If I DO show maps, it will be there... and I can fix it in the later points of my mod... where I can basically allow a 2nd subscreen to display maps with. This still means re-working a ton of data... and the issues with this start to conflict with the console because of where the data is. Anything already above code.zdata is ran on hardware without locating the new files created. This means the console will not load my new dungeons if it does this, creating a classy issue that the hardware has shown to me with swapping Navi.

The frustration with that can be endless.

Maps are not used much anyway, and are removed to make room for new features I will be adding into the mod.

-------------------------------

Also, consider this: ZEY will have new areas and dungeons... it will not be in Hyrule at a certain point. The overworld map is even more limited, and it will not be relevant after the changes.

Again, this can be modified, but not until WAY later (like until the end) of the project.

-------------------------------

ZEY will also have a LOT more content in it. I'm not showing everything in ZEY... there's a ton I have done already without revealing all secrets of ZEY, only the technical wonders.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 12:39:58 am by Airikita »

Jeville

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 28, 2015, 02:05:53 am »
You can watch it in video:
Ocarina of Time: E3 1998 - Rare gameplay

From the above video it looks like rolling didn't exist, and is maybe the reason for the change when it's implemented. So, because this hack has rolling, it's up to her if she want to keep the button swap or not. I really don't mind either way.

Anyway, if you google Zelda 64 beta, you can find screenshots of the game in varying stages. All of them have sword on A, except for some that shows it could be changed to a different item.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 04:57:04 am by Jeville »

Airikita

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 29, 2015, 12:16:56 am »
Say hello to a brand new heart meter:

The recent change was due to the fact that 52 hearts covers up quite a bit of the screen, which covers a good part of the inventory menu.

Also, making the hearts smaller did no good... it looked worse! So I decided on a new meter.

The challenging part of this was switching out the 16x16 texture for a 32x32 replacement, because the previous test didn't look as great without the changes:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/airikita/ModdedShrinkingHeart_zpsvdiczfae.png

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 29, 2015, 04:41:52 pm »
Hello, new heart meter. You look nice today. ;D

But seriously, it looks good. Does the middle heart represent your current max health, while the bigger heart represents  the highest possible max health? Or does it get larger as you obtain more heart containers?

In any case, reading "52 hearts" makes me wonder about the different kind epic fights that are going to taking place.

One thing I always wished I could do in OoT: Hide/unhide the HUD by hitting the D-Pad.  It would be great when I'm just running around and not fighting anything, and would look amazing when playing it widescreen off an emulator.

And  dungeon maps? We don't need no stinkin' dunegeon maps! Well, I never really needed to use them back in the day, I had more fun getting lost. :D  Plus more dungeons? The more the merrier I say!

Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!