News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Zelda's Eternal Youth (ZEY) - 2018 [Continued]  (Read 54932 times)

Airikita

• Running through my mind is hell...
    • View Profile
Zelda's Eternal Youth (ZEY) - 2018 [Continued]
« on: April 08, 2014, 07:42:29 am »
This project is still alive, and will post it here for more updates and future progress!

Zelda's Eternal Youth - Airikita

Estimated project progress:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current Update - 2017:

Three New Warp Songs Added!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Credit / Special Thanks

Credit:
~** CloudMax for ASM notes (HUD and Pause Screen hacks) **~

~** Jason777 (for his Warp Portal hack) **~

~** Killgore52 and /Zel/ for custom Maps (ALTTP) (Currently WIP) **~

~** Title Screen Logo - by Errorjack created the old logo (no longer used) **~

[[[[[[ TEXTURES ]]]]]]

~** Aeroblast43o9 for a new custom bow icon design (later customized for magic arrows too) **~

~** MelonSpeedruns for some textures **~

~** FGUG2021 for item icon concepts (for magic arrows) **~

~** Medallion textures by Shockman25 **~

Special Thanks to:

~** Sakura (for some ASM knowledge) **~

~** SoulofDeity (for some information and useful tools) **~

~** xDaniel and Nova for Sharp Ocarina and tools for modeling **~

~** CloudMax for some notes **~
- Menu Color HUD -
- Free Equipment selection movement (with changes made after) -

~** Sanguinetti for some ideas **~

~** Xu_Yuan (Three_Pendants) for his ideas **~

~** HeavyZ for suggestions and ideas **~

~** Flotonic for Hylian Toolbox assistance **~

~** Cassius for Dialogue and Cameo **~

~** Petrie911’s Ocarina notes on song note composition **~

« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 10:01:44 pm by Airikita »

keithisgood

• [DANGER ! ! ! ! ! ! ] [TERROR HORROR]
    • View Profile
    • keithisgood
Re: Zelda's Eternal Youth (ZEY) - Zelda Ocarina of Time Hack
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 08:58:34 am »
Videos look impressive. Looking forward to updates as this progresses.

However, what is that replacing Navi? It looks... peculiar. Reminds me of the Nyan Cat.

Airikita

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 10:10:01 am »
Videos look impressive. Looking forward to updates as this progresses.

However, what is that replacing Navi? It looks... peculiar. Reminds me of the Nyan Cat.

That is Unicat, she holds a special purpose to the storyline. Link has a dream where he meets Unicat.

Also, I have screenshots of other things... I'll post them as I go along, but here's one of an HUD hack I did for Rupees and Hearts:

There is some conflicts with some other things I did, such as arrows for kid Link. The Slingshot is rendered useless as it doesn't use ammo, but numerous ideas on how to change that come to mind.

A lot of the customizations are a bit unflexible, but can still be altered in some ways.

I also have a gender selection option implemented, but creating the file to do this is proving to be a hassle because of the model.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 02:51:59 pm by Airikita »

xander

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 07:52:10 pm »
That's a lot of hearts. lol. I cant tell if that boomerang is redesigned or not but it looks very cool  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 05:07:59 pm by xander »
xander

Airikita

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2014, 08:55:28 am »
'fraid I didn't modify the boomerang or icon textures, except a few... Though I did switch A+B icons with position values. I intend on re-coloring them when I have more time.

Category

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2014, 12:37:53 pm »
This looks like it could be great! I'll be monitoring this thread...

Does it run on hardware?

Airikita

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2014, 05:14:55 pm »
Yes it does, I have been testing with an N64 flash cart. I'm glad I have it, because some unexpected errors had to be fixed to work on hardware.

Seeeeph

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2014, 11:50:11 pm »
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 09:49:52 pm by Seeeeph »

Airikita

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2014, 11:43:54 pm »
Just an update, currently will be working on making the Fishing Rod a useable item:

The fun parts:
- Switching Slingshot texture to Rod
- Text to match Fishing Rod information
- Replacing Slingshot GI model with a Fishing Rod item
- Making the Rod usable everywhere (this means likely adding the group to every map... just like Epona, no big deal, but still a lot of work.
- And... allowing Link to "Put Away" the Rod (wish me luck on this one... though might be easier than I anticipate hopefully...)

Some ideas:

Giving Rupees for Fish caught, or just put the fish in a bottle? Might fix being able to use bottle to catch fish, and force Link to use the Fishing Rod. Last size caught will mark the selling price. Should be interesting. I'm not expecting to follow through on this, but I might even make the fish useful another way? Maybe Fish could be used as special dungeon keys.

I could make Fishing the only way to earn Rupees... except for one-way dungeons.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 02:52:21 pm by Airikita »

Airikita

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2014, 11:47:18 am »
ZEY now has a new item to the family, Grenades:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIn7WHo1kuE
Note: Bomb actor has been modified to explode, this will replace bombs entirely.

With more changes to come... though currently trying to fix a misaligned action icon text due to an A+B swap.

Also, I managed to get Majora's Clock to appear on console.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 06:55:02 pm by Airikita »

ChronoMoogle

• Super Famicom all the way.
    • View Profile
    • SNESfreaks
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2014, 05:14:25 pm »
You could use the fishing rod for Puzzles in dungeons (magical fishes turn into keys, you have to feed an monster to open the door for you or put one fish into each water hole of the room to make a chest appear) , for an extra income (being the only way to earn rupees would make the game frustrating though), and for an extra quest (NPC wants special kind of fishes from you which you obviously can't find everywhere and gives you good rewards like heart pieces, a special melodie required to enter a special dungeon or a bottle).
Maybe you can even add the possibility to turn switches underwater with the rod or something (just let some sign say "I connected my pet to this long thing down there, please don't chain it off. It likes to bite! - Zora Merchant" :D) simply connecting a catched fish with a cutscene of a switched lever. Lotsa possibilities, just felt like giving some input since you asked^^

Airikita

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2014, 06:06:09 pm »
Part of the idea is to give the fish to an NPC, and they give a Boss Key or a Dungeon Key. For now the Fishing Rod isn't functional, and glitchy.

MrBing

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2014, 01:55:49 am »
Good luck in avoiding a C&D! Sometimes it's better to just spring stuff on the world out of nowhere...

Airikita

• View Profile
Re: Zelda\'s Eternal Youth (ZEY) - Zelda Ocarina of Time Hack
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2014, 09:30:32 pm »
Good luck in avoiding a C&D! Sometimes it's better to just spring stuff on the world out of nowhere...
I doubt it, other then when it's released it's possible... the URA Project never got a word from Nintendo, and the news of that spread everywhere. It got cancelled, but that was never a C&D call. In fact, I'm well-known on Youtube as a hacker/modder, and never received warnings or copyright notices from Nintendo (except content ID automated claims by Youtube for music).

Also, if a C&D happens on me, I won't be the only one to back down.

You can claim it hurts video game sales, but I lack money (too poor) to buy games, and also ROM hack players either don't have money to buy more games, or already buy plenty of their favorite games. ROM hack gamers usually prefer to look up games that give them nostalgia, but want a refreshing jump on that nostalgia.

Just because I mod, too, doesn't prevent me from buying new games. It's something I do when I'm bored of other things. That's the misconception of modding, and copyright issues. I am very careful about making sure the original content is preserved other ways.

I also mod for the inspiration, and mainly do this to give ideas for Nintendo. If they take offense to it, I still have fun creating new concepts by re-inventing the wheel.

This project is never firmed.

C&Ds usually happen on fan created games rather than ROMs, such as recreating OoT in GameMaker as a 2D game, or a custom game.

In the end, I doubt Nintendo will really care considering the original game still exists.

June 09, 2014, 12:20:52 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Fishing Rod and Pond test in Zora's Domain (modified to work):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-xbwX8XQFc

Using an existing function in the game, I managed to get the Fishing Pond to use the waterbox according to Link's position. Not the "best" idea, however it does the job. It is still malfunctioning in Lake Hylia, but changes can be made for it to work in a custom map.

This custom modification prevents the pond from putting its water surface at the ceiling, causing some odd bugs.

The modifications use a custom function to store the waterbox's RAM address to an unused instance variable slot in Link's instance, and all the fish will read this instance variable in order to position according to the actual waterbox instead of the pond's "fixed" waterbox boundaries.

The only downside to this is if there is no waterbox read, and the Fishing Pond actor attempts to use ABABABAB as an address, but it doesn't seem to affect anything. More changes will have to be made to make sure that that is not used, and other spots in the AI have not yet been changed to read from the proper variable yet. There could be hardware issues if it is not resolved.

This is also incomplete until I am able to relocate the pond to anywhere in a map, hopefully resolving any other weird issues. That, or I'll use a work-around if that fails. This doesn't mean I can't just place the fish where I want to, however this does cause issues for the rod and the fish to work properly, which also includes making the custom procedure work for the fish and lure.

The problem with the custom procedure is that is does not work without the full fishing pond added, but things can still be altered to just isolate the fish and the rod.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT:

Fishing Rod now equips when needed, rather than having it constantly active (also to have it usable whenever needed rather than having it only when you pay the fishing pond man):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYZANrye6kY
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 11:37:56 am by Airikita »

Airikita

• View Profile
Re: Zelda\'s Eternal Youth (ZEY) - Zelda Ocarina of Time Hack
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2014, 11:35:59 pm »
Fishing is on the rise anywhere in OoT:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-2tAcyQdIo

It's a bit hacky, but it's 75% there (maybe 80%). Fishing rod is functional as seen, including a item description for the rod:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/airikita/FishingRodItem_zps5a7ac803.png

Fish are also available for sale to the fishing pond man, as the rupee earning is fully functional through him.
Some problems include:
- Fish flying off of land when out of pond's bonds when the fish is "reeled in" towards Link on solid ground
- Fish are currently not targetable (by fishing pond bounds again!)

There are other checks to do, and the Fisherman is in need of a make-over. Also other notable changes have been made. The Fishing Pond has taken about a week to get functioning to this point, but will be worthwhile.

June 21, 2014, 11:12:00 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
EDIT:
I'm still working at the fishing pond. I custom-coded the weight this time, so that it wasn't limited to 2 digits:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4s3ZsK3iOcw
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/airikita/UnlimitedWeightFish_zpsdecc6b6c.png

(keep in mind this was a test fish, I doubt I'll put in a fish that size, but it might happen)

Before this, Nintendo only hardcoded 2 digits:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/airikita/HugeT9Fish_zps7d472ded.png

The code I designed is more extensive, but I managed to fit it in using extra room in my mod. Glad I did, because the last digit appended properly. The downside is that something with one digit, like 7 pounds, will show up like "07 Pounds", but that's the only cost to a hardy custom code.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 11:12:00 pm by Airikita »

Airikita

• View Profile
Re: Zelda's Eternal Youth (ZEY) - Zelda Ocarina of Time Mod
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2014, 09:36:13 pm »
Currently made a major finding in OoT, and restored a beta gem hidden within the ROM:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ImrojQT7K0

All 6 arrows are fully functional, and the additional magic arrows were customized to work. The beta arrows do exist, but also the charge colors and data does show that there are 3 unused arrows with their own damage effects to enemies. Though not all enemies do receive damage, but do get hit/hurt by the arrows in some way (I'm guessing Stalchildren heal from Wind and Dark, but I'm unsure).

The arrows are usable, and currently have their own effects and the Magic Arrows have the texts "Wind Arrow", "Spirit Arrow", and "Shadow Arrow" added in.

All arrows use magic also, though it is a fixed amount of magic. I can change it later, though I found that the magic amount for Light Arrows seems balanced enough, considering a new arrow I added to the set.

I also created a new bow for Young Link by mainly editing his slingshot, with exporting Adult Link's bow for a slight redesign.

Some opinions on the redesign can help. I don't want to add more decoration since I'm trying to keep the bow limited so that the display list doesn't get too big.

Currently the bow is an extra 0xC08 sized amount of binary data, which isn't too bad considering the extensions I gave it.

I have also touched up various unedited things, such as obtained items... some text is due for a change, but I haven't worried about text editing since most of the changes are not going to be finalized until the development of locations and storyline starts to plan out itself.

The new items have given the plot/story a new twist, and could add an extra ending. I don't expect too many alternate endings, possibly just 2.

Going back to other ideas, the gender selection option is still being considered deeply, but my female character design is a bit sucky. Might just dump kid Link's model, or port an existing OoT character over to Link so that I can work with something.

I am also waiting on a custom map someone was helping me out with, but I don't expect it too soon. I'm still tinkering with the code to work the way I want it to over small steps every day every spare time I get for the summer.

I am working, so things are a bit slower than I'd like to work at this mod for.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 06:57:03 pm by Airikita »

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2014, 09:37:20 pm »
Currently made a major finding in OoT, and restored a beta gem hidden within the ROM:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ImrojQT7K0

"This video is private."

Airikita

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2014, 09:40:42 pm »
"This video is private."
My apologies, it is open for viewing now. I must have put it on private when an unknown user was passing it around like a hot potato.

Mirby

• The Power's in the Pins
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2014, 05:09:23 pm »
Every new update makes me more and more excited for this :D

Jonesy47

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2014, 09:40:50 pm »
Any and all Zelda 64 hacks are interesting. Let's hope the running curse is overcome with this project. ;)