News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: A warning from Pocket Monsters Stadium  (Read 2913 times)

Zoinkity

• View Profile
A warning from Pocket Monsters Stadium
« on: April 01, 2014, 02:46:20 pm »
This funny little warning comes up when you suspend a tournament in Pocket Monsters Stadium. I thought it was warning that you needed to use the same GB cart to continue the game, but obviously that's not right since you can (and don't need one to save anyway).

It's the last blasted line that needs to be done too.  Then it's down to final formatting and getting the letter animations working smoothly.

GBカートリッジを つかっている
ひとは ないようをかえると つづきが
できなくなるので ちゅうい しよう!

Thanks for any help.

pmt7ar

• View Profile
    • @MangaHelpers
Re: A warning from Pocket Monsters Stadium
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 03:19:39 pm »
It says something in the lines of:

You're using a GB cartridge. Be aware that if you change the save file (i suppose it says 一葉内容) you won't be able to continue.

I never played the game, but I understand the same as you, that it saves and you need the same cart to continue the same game :S

POscrub

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 08:57:40 pm »
Can you test:
Have a GB cartridge in, suspend a tournament using the imported team, then actually use that cartridge to play GB pokemon and save to force a data change, and see if you can still continue the tourney. Possibly feed one of your team a rare candy or something to force a data change. See if that breaks it and prevents resuming. I would assume that when the GB saves, it might overwrite something that Stadium placed on the cartridge? Either that or data mismatch forces it to be invalid.

Either way, if you use the cartridge to play and save some GB pokemon, you'll probably lose the suspended tourney. Alternatively, it may be a general warning against any change to save data at all. So try moving Pokemon around with organize, or use the GB option to play pokemon on the n64 and save?

Just a guess though.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 09:11:59 pm by POscrub »

Zoinkity

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 03:31:06 pm »
Thanks a lot!  Glad I'm not crazy.

Funny thing is the game will pop up the message regardless if a GB cart is present.

So far I've tried:
  • Suspending a tournament, cycling power, and selecting a different GB cart.  Different cart allows you to restart the original tournament.
  • Changing data in the item/box section, party section.
  • Saving in the GB emu after changing data.
  • Running a tournament with a GB cart, cycling power, then restarting without a cart.  Still asks to resume.
  • Running a tournament without a cart (which still displays this message), cycling power, then restarting with a cart.  Still asks to resume.

Haven't tried deleting a saved party that was used in the tournament.  Pretty sure it saves a copy though.

The only absolute is starting a new tourney does kill the old one, and they dont' give you any warning messages about that at all ;*) 

It is worthy to note that the thing does register the first 4-5 carts that save either Pokémon or items to N64 boxes.  After that, you have to eliminate somebody's saved data before a new cart can save to the N64.  It was probably intended that you could suspend tournaments in the same manner, and they'd be linked to the GB carts.  That it isn't would mean they let yet another bug and/or incomplete feature in.

Short of tracing this nonsense probably won't know.  Could always be a holdover from the Nintendo Cup tournament they used this at.  They actually have a line or two of unused text warning about disqualification if you freeze two Pokémon in the same round.  That's rule-enforced to never happen, but it was possible at the tournament.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 04:17:00 pm »
Indeed I believe Nintendo added a rule at their contests you were only allowed to use freeze or sleep on one Pokemon at a time.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Zoinkity

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 12:48:23 pm »
Just a follow-up, I did trace this nonsense and it turns out that it does record the GB trainer ID.  It will only read the ID for the surfing pikachu test, but the irony there is they throw away the original result and just test the GB type in the end anyway.  So, in other words, it only matters what cart you have in the end.

So, in the end it might be better to just completely rewrite this message and change the conditions for it appearing.  In fact, it ony applies at all to one competition type.