News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Link's Awakening hack: New Awakening  (Read 9302 times)

katage

• View Profile
Re: Link's Awakening hack: New Awakening
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2015, 01:55:56 am »
A midair jump in Turtle Rock is no longer required (a previous version of the hack required it). Now, you can use a wall jump or wall bounce instead like in Key Cavern. Both of the Turtle Rock ice rooms with tricky jumps can be done by bouncing off of the wall, as well as hopping in midair.

There is one screen among the ice rooms where you can't go both ways without the Wand. But you won't get stuck if you cross over, since it deposits you someplace where you can make your way back to the start of the dungeon.

I'm not sure which part of the triple chest room is causing problems. There are two sticky block situations and a bombable wall--you'll have to deal with all three if you want to get the treasure and also escape.

Systematician

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2015, 01:45:39 pm »
Thank you. Finally, I have mastered the wall jump/bounce well enough to finish Turtle Rock (my finishing the three chest room of course depended on the wall bounce).

I am currently in level 5 and 6, and I manage fine on my own, appart from one point where I probably not find the principal way to make progress (i.e. without being damaged), but the likelihood of this being due to a glitch is very low.

What I guess is a glitch, however, is the apparent inability to escape from the water to the east of Canalet Castle, after jumping off the left side of the bridge in the far east there. It also seems that in the raft area (http://zeldawiki.org/File:Link%27s_Awakening_-_Rapids_Ride.png), at one place, the stream goes upwards instead of downwards as in the above image, which means one becomes trapped at that point. Another place one can become trapped is to the right of the right-most switch in the room north-east of of the boss room in level 5.

Edit: It seems that I haven't mastered the wall jump/bounce quite yet. In the "cellar" room north-east of the boss room on the map, I always am at least one pixel (?) short, it seems, to reach the ladder.

Edit 2: And there I made it, but I would probably never be able to do it consistently. Perhaps this challenge should be moved to an optional area.

One question: I am not sure what the bow one can get at the start at level 5 is for. Nothing happens with my Start screen; there is no extra room, but the image of my initial bow is not changed.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 12:43:06 pm by Systematician »

katage

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2015, 08:30:45 pm »
I'm sorry; I only just noticed the last message.

-I added a ladder to help the player escape should they jump left off the bridge near Kanalet Castle. I've checked the raft area and I use a different dropdown tile for the waterfall, which I had used to fix an old bug. I'll double-check to make sure everything works.

-I added a hole to prevent the player from getting trapped in the Catfish's Maw area.

-I increased the length of the ledge in the cellar room you mentioned, so it will be a little easier to reach.

-The level 5 Bow is optional. All it does is let you avoid having to buy the Bow normally. I figured it was a worthwhile prize for the shenanigans you have to do to get to the chest.

Let me know anything else you find odd.

Thanatos-Zero

• NES Graphic Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2015, 05:17:15 pm »
I cannot solve Turtle Rock, Angler's Tunnel or even get all the treasures in the Eagle Tower...

I dunno, where the way is...
Also where is the Fire Wand?

Swifticuffs

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2016, 01:01:21 pm »
Face shrine two rooms east of entrance. I cannot maneuver the bomb to blow the brick. I've been at it so long.... what am I doing wrong?