News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: New Translations Added to the Database  (Read 7049 times)

RHDNBot

Translations: New Translations Added to the Database
« on: March 29, 2014, 12:50:40 pm »
Update By: RHDNBot

This is an automated message generated by ROMhacking.net's RHDNBot.

The following Translations have been submitted and approved to the database (in submitted order oldest to newest):

Relevant Link: (http://www.romhacking.net/translations/)

Guyver

• =<O_O>=
    • View Profile
    • Chief-Net.ru
Re: Translations: New Translations Added to the Database
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 11:06:00 pm »
Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon: Another Story (English)(Addendum)(SNES) - I long ago waited this! Yahoo! :crazy:
I not the wizard, I only study...

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 06:05:22 am »
We've had it for a while, actually, but it was put as a hack rather than a translation.

I do wish someone would go in and clean up the text. The game's text isn't consistent at all(Calls the super special crystal Sailor Moon always carries around by two or three different names, amongst other things). Puts a stain on one of the few non-grindy as fuck SNES rpgs that were not made by Square.
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

Azkadellia

• Forum Moderator
  • 提交向你的情妇!
    • View Profile
    • Princess Translations
Current Projects: On hold indefinitely.
I do the Twitter thing now: https://twitter.com/MistressSaeko (expect lots of game streaming announcements)
Mistress of the RHDN Discord server.

Jeville

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2014, 07:21:32 am »
I enjoyed the Sailor Moon RPG enough to not care about some story details I'm not sure of. The grinding doesn't take long.

mziab

• View Profile
    • mteam
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2014, 07:35:18 am »
We've had it for a while, actually, but it was put as a hack rather than a translation.

I do wish someone would go in and clean up the text. The game's text isn't consistent at all(Calls the super special crystal Sailor Moon always carries around by two or three different names, amongst other things). Puts a stain on one of the few non-grindy as fuck SNES rpgs that were not made by Square.

That's beyond the scope of what I set out to do with this patch, but I'm not entirely opposed to the idea. I do agree that the amount of inconsistencies and gratuitous Japanese is atrocious. I didn't bother me when I played this way back when, but now it's irksome, to say the least. However, I think this script needs more than a simple search-and-replace. A fair scrubbing is in order.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 07:48:39 am by mziab »

arromdee

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2014, 12:58:59 pm »
This review sums up the translation nicely.

As I pointed out in a reply to that review, based on a rough estimate from searching fanfiction.net, the Japanese names that that review complains about are in fact used by around 90% of the fanbase.  There is a reason why the alternate names from the DIC dub were not put in--hardly anyone uses them!  And even the names for objects are used by a sizable portion of the fanbase and an even larger portion recognizes them.

This is *not* the equivalent of, oh. the .hack games failing to translate "rengeki".

DaMarsMan

• Bring DQV
    • View Profile
    • DQ Translations!
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2014, 03:26:33 pm »
I may be wrong but the Dragon Quest 1 + 2 is not a translation. It's a patch for a bug in RPGOne's translation and should go in the hacks section not the translation section.

mziab

• View Profile
    • mteam
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2014, 03:33:32 pm »
I may be wrong but the Dragon Quest 1 + 2 is not a translation. It's a patch for a bug in RPGOne's translation and should go in the hacks section not the translation section.

Actually, that's originally where I submitted those fixes. But then I was asked to resubmit them as Translation Addendums. Relevant linkage.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 04:31:22 pm by mziab »

Kiyoshi Aman

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Browncoat Captain
    • View Profile
    • Aerdan's Blog
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2014, 04:49:48 pm »

Quote from: RHDN translation submission guidelines
Addendum: This is for cases where new person/s improve or fix old patches released from other people while promoting good community ethics. Archives should contain a patch that patches an originally patched work.

DaMarsMan

• Bring DQV
    • View Profile
    • DQ Translations!
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2014, 05:15:56 pm »
Okay I didn't keep up with that. I see it's changed.

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2014, 10:34:09 am »
That's beyond the scope of what I set out to do with this patch, but I'm not entirely opposed to the idea. I do agree that the amount of inconsistencies and gratuitous Japanese is atrocious. I didn't bother me when I played this way back when, but now it's irksome, to say the least. However, I think this script needs more than a simple search-and-replace. A fair scrubbing is in order.

Sorry, I didn't see this topic got any replies until just now.

Really, just a find and search would work well enough for me. Yeah, a scrubbing would definitely be best, but a find and replace for all of the inconsistencies and random Japanese suffixes is enough effort for a game that wasn't really all that well written, anyway. All IMO of course.
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

mziab

• View Profile
    • mteam
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2014, 11:24:42 am »
Sorry, I didn't see this topic got any replies until just now.

Really, just a find and search would work well enough for me. Yeah, a scrubbing would definitely be best, but a find and replace for all of the inconsistencies and random Japanese suffixes is enough effort for a game that wasn't really all that well written, anyway. All IMO of course.

To be fair, most of the needed fixes are pretty straightforward and amount to a simple search-and-replace and translating the Japanese that should've been translated in the first place (Ginzuishou and the like). Suffixes can be dropped or localized depending on the usage, also mostly straightforward stuff.

What is a bit more of a head-scratcher is the question of what to do with the names. Personally, I think using the manga names and their official romanizations is the way to go. But I imagine that, as usual, not everyone would be in board with that, not to mention that with romanizations some choices are somewhat disputable.

Then there's the whole thing with the omnipresent phrase "Sailor Senshi", which the dialogue is littered with. Several official materials use the term "Sailor Soldiers" (my personal favorite), the newer manga release calls them "Sailor Guardians", and then there's DiC's "Sailor Scouts". But there are also some related names to bear in my mind, such as: Inner Senshi ("Inner Soldiers" and the like just sound wrong, but maybe that's just me) and Oppositio Senshi (same problem).
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 02:19:49 pm by mziab »

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2014, 03:00:35 pm »
I thought it's been said before, but I heard that for whatever reason FuSoYa encrypted his work (beyond necessary).
So a script replacement might not be so easy to do.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

mziab

• View Profile
    • mteam
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2014, 03:29:30 pm »
I thought it's been said before, but I heard that for whatever reason FuSoYa encrypted his work (beyond necessary).
So a script replacement might not be so easy to do.

I've actually done a Polish translation of the game and still have all the tools, so that wouldn't be a problem.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2014, 05:33:14 pm »
If this game is gonna get a text revision, it might be a good idea to at least include one other patch for different naming conventions like a DiC patch etc.