News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Mario's Nightmare Quest (currently in graphics ripping stages)  (Read 44761 times)

CM30

• View Profile
    • Gaming Reinvented (in beta testing)
Re: Mario's Nightmare Quest (currently in graphics ripping stages)
« Reply #60 on: March 05, 2015, 03:15:05 pm »
Mario in Castle Of Illusion ???

Yep. The graphics are going to be animated too.

Maybe I might use some of the enemies from that game's Toy Land level too, and the gravity flipping.

Really great graphics. Keep up the good work.

Thanks.  The screenshots are still only about 40% of what's in the game though.  The more interesting stuff is yet to come.

My first complain, lol  :PIt would look much better if it were a real pixel art sprite.  :'(

Good luck with that.  I'm nowhere near good enough to try and convert K Rool's boss sprites into pixel art equivalents, and you're probably not gonna find too many people willing to go that fair either (especially as this is a really complex boss with a lot of graphics frames).

Still, I plan to at least make it look fancy; the boss can apparently animate the background at about the halfway point in the battle.  So I'll try and use that trigger for thunder/lightning and missile style explosions in the background.
Like Wario?  If so, check out Wario Forums today!

Similarly, want to test a new gaming site?  Check out Gaming Reinvented! Now in beta!

Jonesy47

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 05, 2015, 05:27:03 pm »
K. Rool looks fine.
The whole hack is a mish mash of pixel art styles so it works.
Can't wait for the finished product!

CM30

• View Profile
Re: Mario\'s Nightmare Quest (currently in graphics ripping stages)
« Reply #62 on: March 09, 2015, 06:55:19 pm »
Thanks!  On another note, someone released a really cool music port recently, and its being used here.  Guess what it is?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7UC_qAXNQg&feature=youtu.be

Yeah, Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon music on a SNES. Thank you music porter on SMW Central!  I've also requested the theme for Treacherous Mansion, hopefully that gets ported as well.  That's this one, if you've forgotten:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cG_J9rcefw

But yeah, other stuff is more important.  Next up, fixing the graphics in a few levels and working on some others.

March 13, 2015, 11:06:37 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Starting on a Zelda level:

It's not 2D platformer style Zelda either.  Oh no, this level will basically be a full scale traditional Zelda dungeon starring Mario/Luigi.

There'll be keys to find, blocks to push, items to use, spike traps to dodge, Wizrobes firing magic, Darknuts and Link to the Past style soldiers to fight and a big boss battle at the end vs some Zelda character or another, maybe Ganon/Ganondorf or Vaati.

All while this music blares out the speakers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uR7doemZD0

It's quite the cool finale to a world in which Mario explores Hyrule, conquers the darkest crypt using the Lens of Truth, climbs Stone Tower Temple and buys items from Ravio in the shop.  With a few references to Link's Awakening, the Oracle games, Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword and The Wind Waker in there for good measure.  Yes, it's completely against Zelda canon, but it's a dream, okay?  Like Hyrule Warriors?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 11:06:42 pm by CM30 »

Similarly, want to test a new gaming site?  Check out Gaming Reinvented! Now in beta!

SC

• View Profile
Re: Mario\'s Nightmare Quest (currently in graphics ripping stages)
« Reply #63 on: March 16, 2015, 09:59:19 pm »
Starting on a Zelda level:

It's not 2D platformer style Zelda either.  Oh no, this level will basically be a full scale traditional Zelda dungeon starring Mario/Luigi.

There'll be keys to find, blocks to push, items to use, spike traps to dodge, Wizrobes firing magic, Darknuts and Link to the Past style soldiers to fight and a big boss battle at the end vs some Zelda character or another, maybe Ganon/Ganondorf or Vaati.

All while this music blares out the speakers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uR7doemZD0

It's quite the cool finale to a world in which Mario explores Hyrule, conquers the darkest crypt using the Lens of Truth, climbs Stone Tower Temple and buys items from Ravio in the shop.  With a few references to Link's Awakening, the Oracle games, Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword and The Wind Waker in there for good measure.  Yes, it's completely against Zelda canon, but it's a dream, okay?  Like Hyrule Warriors?

What the Hell, man?! How have you achieved that? Who coded all that awesome stuff into SMW?!  :o
Somehow, there's a romhacking hero involved?  ::)

You gotta be trolling me...

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 16, 2015, 10:09:43 pm »
It is definitely an odd choice to make, especially since SMW's engine is not optimized for this... at all, but if you feel you can make it work without it feeling clunky or bizarre than I would love to see this part of the project finished.

CM30

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 17, 2015, 06:44:49 pm »
It is definitely an odd choice to make, especially since SMW's engine is not optimized for this... at all, but if you feel you can make it work without it feeling clunky or bizarre than I would love to see this part of the project finished.

It shouldn't feel that clunky or bizarre.  Although trying to implement some bosses that work in this style could be challenging.  Anyone know a really good ASM coder?

And the patch for this type of level has actually been around a few years now.  It's just that no one's ever really done anything interesting with it before.  I mean, this was its debut back in 2009:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iH9pZI1-UM

Since then... nothing.  No one even considered a Zelda or Secret of Mana or Pokemon style level based on this engine before.

CM30

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 30, 2015, 06:36:45 pm »
A few updates.  Progress is a bit slow, but still:

Toy Land level preview:

The picture does not do it justice to be honest.  Cause about half the tileset animates.

Some of Stone Tower Temple:

Gonna try and edit some of the Zelda GFX to be more 2D like.

Next up?  A level based on this, probably:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7cNkNsLQAY

CM30

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 16, 2015, 05:00:31 pm »
Minor proof it's not entirely dead:

SC

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 16, 2015, 05:36:40 pm »
Is that a boss?
Have you used all the entire palette on it? If there was a way to better blend those shades of colour...
But I guess it would require an incredible amount of work for an HDMA effect on it or using another type
of Super Famicom graphic with more available palette colours, like BG? Not feasible, it seems.
Looks too cartoonish, though maybe I am worrying for nothing and it looks good when playing.

Anyway, that Wario sprite seems suspicious, too. :thumbsup:

CM30

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 16, 2015, 05:42:49 pm »
Is that a boss?
Have you used all the entire palette on it? If there was a way to better blend those shades of colour...
But I guess it would require an incredible amount of work for an HDMA effect on it or using another type
of Super Famicom graphic with more available palette colours, like BG? Not feasible, it seems.
Looks too cartoonish, though maybe I am worrying for nothing and it looks good when playing.

Anyway, that Wario sprite seems suspicious, too. :thumbsup:

I'm trying to set up the Wario graphics as we speak, although I'll probably have to exanimate it as well, cause no SNES sprite on the planet can have as many frames as Wario did in Wario Land 4 with only about 2 ExGFX files.

As for the Kingfin boss sprites... keep in mind that:

1. That's a test room, so it doesn't look as menacing as the actual environment.

2. It's one of those sprites which wasn't really drawn for a SNES game, so trying to make it's colours work exactly right is pretty difficult. It's also the only sprite of said boss I could find, so hey, I'm going with what's available.

Grimlock

• Graphics Artist, Level Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 18, 2015, 01:14:32 pm »
I just wanted to say your project is looking pretty awesome  :thumbsup:.  I've always liked crossover themed graphics hacks.  I'll be watching this one & looking forward to its completion!
Rogue Dawn official release date set: Saturday 1/14/2017

CM30

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 21, 2015, 07:00:28 pm »
I just wanted to say your project is looking pretty awesome  :thumbsup:.  I've always liked crossover themed graphics hacks.  I'll be watching this one & looking forward to its completion!

Thanks!

A demo will hopefully be made available in about two months.

SC

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 21, 2015, 10:14:15 pm »
Excellent news! I was hoping for that since I saw this awesome project! :crazy:

CM30

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 25, 2015, 06:57:14 pm »
A few minor ExGFX showcases:

Zombified enemies, as from here:

http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=5566

Creepy eh?  Also, I may have carol, the maker of Brutal Mario, helping with some programming for this project. Which is quite cool given that Brutal Mario is one of the most well known mods out there:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INa41RSwiCc

Tenkarider

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 26, 2015, 03:38:02 pm »
Wait a second... Carol might help you?!?
I thought he left SMW hacking scenario and for that reason never finished Brutal Mario World...

CM30

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 26, 2015, 04:33:57 pm »
Wait a second... Carol might help you?!?
I thought he left SMW hacking scenario and for that reason never finished Brutal Mario World...

He has definitely not left SMW hacking.  I've been in talks with him for a few months now.  Heck, he released a new demo of Brutal Mario complete with a new level 1-1 about a week ago:

http://brutalmario.wikia.com/wiki/1-1_Demo

I've been working to supply some ExGFX for Luigi's World levels, and just discussing the future of Brutal Mario in general.

Tenkarider

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 26, 2015, 09:28:15 pm »
Wow, that's even recent! will be finally the time to see finished his masterpiece?

Even your work sounds nice, anyway.
Except custom map, did you also worked on custom sprites/bosses/etc. until now?

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 27, 2015, 05:56:35 pm »
Hey, I am Thirteen1355, from the Brutal Mario Wiki. I was curious about your hack, so I went to look for it here.

CM30

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 27, 2015, 06:28:05 pm »
Wow, that's even recent! will be finally the time to see finished his masterpiece?

Even your work sounds nice, anyway.
Except custom map, did you also worked on custom sprites/bosses/etc. until now?

I'm not the programmer for the game.  That job used to go to dahnamics, and is now split between a few other people on SMW Central.  But yes, lots of exclusive sprites and bosses and resources are being coded right now, and quite a few equally impressive ones have already been added.

Hey, I am Thirteen1355, from the Brutal Mario Wiki. I was curious about your hack, so I went to look for it here.

Hey, nice to see you here!  What do you think about the hack/game from the pictures provided?

Tenkarider

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 28, 2015, 09:33:55 am »
is there some screenshot that shows some sprite/boss?