News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Mario's Nightmare Quest (currently in graphics ripping stages)  (Read 42307 times)

CM30

• View Profile
    • Gaming Reinvented (in beta testing)
Re: Mario's Nightmare Quest (currently in graphics ripping stages)
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2014, 03:01:37 pm »
Wow, those metal slug rips...those are amazing.

When i was talking about pc mario engine games, I meant like mushroom kingdom fusion.

As far as examples of my graphics ripping, here's a few:

This one is ripped from Super Princess Peach. I finished it a literal day after I found someone else version on smw central. Youll notice little differences in mine, like the black outline around the trees with definition or that said trees can merge with the foreground.

These are ripped from a Super Mario 3D World tileset on MFGG. It needs palette work but it's ok.

I ripped this background from Super Ghouls n Ghosts.

I ripped this background from Bad Dudes the arcade game for my hack, Super Mario Bros. The Movie: The Game.

I ripped this foreground from Sonic 1.

And this last one, I ripped from Ryu's Stage in Street Fighter II.

Lemme see what I can do with Jazz Jackrabbit 2 and Tiny Toons...

Nice graphics rips!  Pretty amazing if I say so myself, especially the Sonic 1 and Street Fighter graphics.

But yeah, if you want to help (or anyone else wants to help), the halloween and christmas graphics from Jazz Jackrabbit can be found here:

http://jazzjackrabbit.net/DJ/WebJCS/

They're called 'Haunted House' and Holiday Hare (although Holidaus would be a good alternative for the second if it's utterly impossible).

Like Wario?  If so, check out Wario Forums today!

Similarly, want to test a new gaming site?  Check out Gaming Reinvented! Now in beta!

Jonesy47

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2014, 12:45:24 am »
JEEZUS, THESE JACKRABBIT GRAPHICS ARE HUGE!
Got em ripped to bin format but, so far, my colors are way off ( I can fix that easy enough) but yeah...I dont know if this will even START to fit, ha. Not a bad exercise in crazy, though...

CM30

• View Profile
Re: Mario\'s Nightmare Quest (currently in graphics ripping stages)
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2014, 04:28:43 pm »
JEEZUS, THESE JACKRABBIT GRAPHICS ARE HUGE!
Got em ripped to bin format but, so far, my colors are way off ( I can fix that easy enough) but yeah...I dont know if this will even START to fit, ha. Not a bad exercise in crazy, though...

Yep.

That's what is difficult about ripping them... they use a 32 x 32 grid instead of a 16 x 16 one.

They could theoretically be resized to 16 x 16, but that would take forever and be hard as hell given the detail present.

Ah well.  The haunted house ones are at least possible to assemble easily enough (as in, once ripped).  The Holiday Hare ones?  God knows.  Maybe the site I linked didn't do a perfect job of ripping them, but even assembling those tiles is the stuff of nightmares!

September 04, 2014, 04:33:44 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
World 2 castle preview:

Bonus points if you can name the original game!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 04:33:47 pm by CM30 »

Similarly, want to test a new gaming site?  Check out Gaming Reinvented! Now in beta!

CM30

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2014, 03:36:45 pm »
Well, it's been a while.  But oh well, some new stuff:

Experimenting with reverse gravity (in one level) and screen flipping (in another).

Level based on Spring Man's level in Mega Man 7.  Gimmick being that enemies will also be affected by springs.

Early preview of world 4 castle, water themed.

Based on Rice Beach in Wario Land (background from Wario Land 4).

Tiles from Castle of Illusion. Unlike in my previous work, these ones will be animated like in the original game.  I might also try and get the cake graphics from that game as well, along with the Christmas inspired ones from World of Illusion.

Edit: Beta title screen:

« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 06:09:35 pm by CM30 »

CM30

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2014, 05:05:50 pm »
Bump, to show a few miscellaneous things:

Three guesses what the second one is for.

As for other stuff... well, Lunar Magic 2.3 just came out.  So I'm gonna take advantage of its new overworld capabilities (two more gfx files per map!) and its built in support for layer 3 backgrounds/graphics.  Like for heavy rain and snow on top of photo realistic level backgrounds without sacrificing anything...

yoyotheyoshi

• High-tech low-life
    • View Profile
    • Smashcast
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2014, 04:55:01 am »
That all looks pretty amazing, coming along nicely. I can't wait to see more. :)
"The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long."

Backloggery | Smashcast

CM30

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2014, 06:03:43 pm »
That all looks pretty amazing, coming along nicely. I can't wait to see more. :)

Thanks, it's much appreciated.  Some minor updates:

Tiles for first picture from Actraiser 2, used at end of forest castle level.  Second and third picture show semi final part of clocktower level in final world, tiles from Symphony of the Night.

drunkenjesus

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2014, 01:37:48 am »
backgrounds look really varied and impressive, hoping that a demos released soon, backgrounds are cool but gameplay's the most important part of a hack for me.

CM30

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2014, 06:21:00 pm »
backgrounds look really varied and impressive, hoping that a demos released soon, backgrounds are cool but gameplay's the most important part of a hack for me.

Don't worry, the gameplay's always being kept as the main priority.  It's one of the reasons the game/hack is taking a while, because I'm trying to make the level design fun and the graphics look nice at the same time.

Thanks for your feedback.

CM30

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2014, 09:23:33 pm »
Unfortunately, unless I can get help with some ASM for a few sprites/bosses, this game likely won't be finished.

It'll still be released in some form (likely a demo with all normal levels and about 50% of the bosses included), but... my last two ASM coders have left the hobby altogether and I now need to find a replacement or something.

Sorry about that.

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2014, 02:56:11 pm »
Unfortunately, unless I can get help with some ASM for a few sprites/bosses, this game likely won't be finished.

It'll still be released in some form (likely a demo with all normal levels and about 50% of the bosses included), but... my last two ASM coders have left the hobby altogether and I now need to find a replacement or something.

Sorry about that.
Aw, I'm sorry to hear that  :(
I hope things work out.
If they don't though, you should indeed be sure to still make a release of it, even if it's incomplete.

CM30

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2014, 03:47:16 pm »
Aw, I'm sorry to hear that  :(
I hope things work out.
If they don't though, you should indeed be sure to still make a release of it, even if it's incomplete.

Don't worry, there will be a release of this game, even if it has to be in demo form.  I'm not going to disappoint people by not releasing an actual game.

CM30

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2014, 06:20:25 pm »
Some very minor updates:

Lost Vikings themed puzzle level (background is from Meteos on DS):

Starting a level based on Drill Dozer:

Other updates coming soon will be the first castle (with a new tileset from an unexpected arcade game) and redone ice cavern and 'dark' cavern levels.

drunkenjesus

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2014, 09:24:52 pm »

Sorry about that.

Your project would be way more appealing to people with the skills to help if it was mostly done so that way they knew their effort would be put to good use, so releasing a demo like you mentioned asking for help would probably work out well

CM30

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2014, 03:26:10 pm »
There are two reasons this project hasn't had a demo yet:

1. The levels made are not in any logical order.  The status is basically most of world 1, most of world 2, some of world 3, much of world 4, much of world 5, etc.  I like to have demos feel like they could be 'complete' rather than skipping over a bunch of stages.

2. Not polished enough yet.

There's also another one (trying to keep attention low until the release date), but there's a really good reason for that.

CM30

• View Profile
Re: Mario\'s Nightmare Quest (currently in graphics ripping stages)
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2014, 06:29:42 pm »
And hey, a few updates:

Demo should be available by Christmas, with up to seven worlds of content.

November 27, 2014, 06:04:00 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
It's not over yet.  Some new updates:

New 'dark' sprite graphics, for evil levels and ghost houses.  Skulls are from Castlevania, clowns from a Castlevania DS game and ground skull things from Guardian Legend.

The ghost skulls are obviously Boos, the ground skulls are obvious Goombas and the clown is a custom sprite.

Big Chomps.

Bigger Chomps

Incoming Chomps

Early part of Hands On Hall level, with Japanese aesthetics.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 06:04:48 pm by CM30 »

CM30

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2014, 06:12:48 pm »
Oh look, minor gfx updates:

Yay for Wario Land 4 tiles on SNES!

CM30

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2014, 01:58:48 pm »
Bump for some pre Christmas level and graphics updates:

And a more Christmas themed update:

Yes, a Christmas themed level with content from Jazz Jackrabbit and Daze Before Christmas.

90s Retro Gamer

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2014, 11:36:47 pm »
Looks good. I like it when people mod the graphics in SMW. Haha that would be awesome if you got ahold of Jazz Jackrabbit graphics.

CM30

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2014, 07:04:18 am »
Looks good. I like it when people mod the graphics in SMW. Haha that would be awesome if you got ahold of Jazz Jackrabbit graphics.

I did get Jazz Jackrabbit tiles.  The Christmas ones are from the first Holiday Hare expansion, the graphics for 'hell' are from a hell themed level in one of the games (or maybe mods) and the tiles for Aftermath are from a Jazz Jackrabbit custom graphics resource site.

I also plan to use the haunted house tiles for the halloween level:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbqqWn7NEjM

Either way, you've not seen nothing yet.  The screens in this topic only show a tiny sample of the levels and their themes...