News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translation of a small number of Kanji tiles to characters  (Read 1971 times)

megatron-uk

• View Profile
    • My videogame database
Translation of a small number of Kanji tiles to characters
« on: March 14, 2014, 08:14:24 am »
I have a small number of Kanji tiles used within the game I'm currently translating (Cyber Knight for the PC-Engine).

There are a total of 6 rows of Kanji, with 8 symbols per row (excluding a few double height ASCII characters), stored as 4 tiles per symbol, which looks something like this:

I'm not sure the first 4-5 tiles of row 0 are correct - they don't look right to me, but others in that row are correct (from a visual correlation with text displayed in the game).

I'm not currently asking for a translation of the symbols, but would anyone be so kind as to be able to paste the actual Kanji symbols that these images represent so that I can enter the symbol into my translation table? I'm finding it very hard going to search for the exact match to those ideograms from either a text editor or the web.

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
Re: Translation of a small number of Kanji tiles to characters
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 09:50:27 am »
The tiles you suspect to be fubar are, second kanji looks like 前 got sliced, next one is most likely the bottom half of 入,

then 力能設定体
知修理治療性別武
器肩腕脚保存表示
攻撃防御装備調査
着陸移動分析出甲
値回避格兵離
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

megatron-uk

• View Profile
    • My videogame database
Re: Translation of a small number of Kanji tiles to characters
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 10:06:58 am »
That's excellent and will have saved me countless hours trying to match them in jwpce!

Thinking about it, row 0, col 0 is probably not used because 0x00 would likely be a bad hex code to use. I haven't found a definite answer yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if the first 5 tiles are shifted one place right to work around that.

Many thanks!

March 19, 2014, 01:31:19 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Just to answer my own question - 0x00 is used in Kanji sequences (I've started calling them 'double height strings' as they also contain Katakana and ASCII) to represent a blank top or bottom tile. This is the reason the first four tiles are shifted right by one place.

The Kanji lookup table is now at: https://github.com/megatron-uk/cyberknight-pce/blob/master/CyberKnightKanjiTranslation.csv

I have a slightly newer version ready to commit that has 90+% of the non-Kanji double height characters as well (represented by 1 byte, rather than the 2 of the Kanji tiles, but still prefixed by a control code to indicate 'use the double height lookup table' rather than the normal kana/hira/roman table).
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 01:31:19 pm by megatron-uk »