News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Akumajou Densetsu Projects: Resurrection of Darkness and Vengeance on Hell 2  (Read 28581 times)

DavidtheIdeaMan

• View Profile
Re: Castlevania 3 Hacks: Vengeance on Hell 2 and Castlevania Legends NES
« Reply #80 on: February 19, 2017, 10:05:00 am »
Well looks like I got another interesting Castlevania rom hack to look forward to,both Cadence of Agony,Vengeance on Hell II AND Legends,geez you guys are just pouring out greatness!  ;D 

Sinis

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 23, 2017, 04:40:58 pm »
Castlevania: Vengeance on Hell II

Since I'm unable to sprite stuff right now figured I'd upload a fresh FamiTracker tune from nesfan as a reference for whoever future programmer gets on board with my projects.  Cross A Fear has landed for VoH II :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19hT_HWe9GI&feature=youtu.be

A coin toss decided on which ROM hack it was going to be in of either VoH II or Legends.  Heads won the outcome lol.

By the way, in the future I won't be uploading/sharing every track made for both VoH II and Legends as you guys and gals will have to play the ROM's to find out what was made and put in.  Only select stuff will be let out of the bag as I don't want everything to be discovered beforehand as that would spoil a lot of it :)
Castlevania 3: Dracula's Curse Community Wiki Thread
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=21344.0

Discord: Sinis#4332

DavidtheIdeaMan

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 23, 2017, 04:48:03 pm »
Unerstood,but do think you think you can bundle NSF music files when either of your two games get done and released in the near future?

TheLuigiLightning

• ROM hacking; it's like rearranging classical music
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 23, 2017, 05:09:26 pm »
I hope you don't feel obligated to make an original melody track for every stage in the hack.  There are some amazing tracks from Castlevania III, and what I think is, if you can't come up with something better, use one of the melodies in the actual game.  If you want to make it sound a little different with Famitracker, that's not a bad idea, but it should sound better than the original in that case.  But back to my point about using tracks that are already in the game, I think that making a slightly darker sounding version of the Mad Forest theme would work just fine with stage 3 in the hack.  Maybe just play around with it, and add some dissonance in the harmonies.  As well as possibly having a drum opening, like you had with the track you just released.  I noticed a much more atmospheric tone in the music that you posted, compared to the original Castlevania 3 soundtrack, which might make you feel like you need completely overlay the entire soundtrack in order to keep with the tone you're going for, but it's absolutely incredible how versatile music is.  I'm picturing a modified version of Mad Forest in my head right now, and it would work so well with the stage.
I am Luigi Lightning.  (You can just call me Luigi, though).
Some say my name is Luigi Lightning.  Others say I am a Lightning Luigi.  Some also say I am Luigi's Lightning.  Some even say I am some prodigy; The Luigi Lightning... guys, it's just a title.  You were correct the first time.

Sinis

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 23, 2017, 05:13:49 pm »
Unerstood,but do think you think you can bundle NSF music files when either of your two games get done and released in the near future?

I still plan on keeping the option in to listen to the music in Castlevania 3 when you hit A + Start buttons together so you'll be able to listen to them that way :)

@TheLuigiLightning

I appreciate the idea but I already have a full track made up for VoH II :)

DavidtheIdeaMan

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 23, 2017, 05:21:37 pm »
Heh heh,alright then :)

TheLuigiLightning

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 24, 2017, 01:41:02 pm »
I still plan on keeping the option in to listen to the music in Castlevania 3 when you hit A + Start buttons together so you'll be able to listen to them that way :)

@TheLuigiLightning

I appreciate the idea but I already have a full track made up for VoH II :)

Will that music option be on a stage by stage basis, or just to be listened to in some sort of settings menu, like "hey, you want to listen to some music?"  Because Anxiety would not fit at ALL with the bridge stage.
Some say my name is Luigi Lightning.  Others say I am a Lightning Luigi.  Some also say I am Luigi's Lightning.  Some even say I am some prodigy; The Luigi Lightning... guys, it's just a title.  You were correct the first time.

Sinis

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 24, 2017, 02:53:24 pm »
@TheLuigiLightning

You know  how you can listen to the music itself in the Castlevania 3 title menu?  Pretty much the same concept as I know it will be tied to the edited soundtracks within the game so you won't hear Anxiety at all :)

I have also decided on the .nsf stuff.  I will release that when VoH II is complete and uploaded to the community's download section, the same for Legends' .nsf file.

For other talk.  There is also another thing I'd like to do.  I would like to try and put a small community together of people that know on what they are doing and literally tear apart Castlevania 3 from top to bottom and document everything.  Why I want to do this is because there is literally little to no information out there.  I did start that info thread last year about it and will update it more once other things are done with Sephirous's project, CoA.  A person that I know, LevelEngine, sought out the person who made a particular well of information about Castlevania 3 and turns out that's for Akumajou Densetsu so Castlevania 3 documentation is highly needed.  I know a lot of people frown down upon stuff like this sometimes but I would love to ask around see if people are willing to do this as a side thing from every day life and whatever other stuff they are working on as we all have the time in the world to upload and share this information.  There's stuff out there for Castlevania and Castlevania II: Simon's Quest so figured can go ahead and do Castlevania 3.  My contribution would be pretty much sprites and color palettes as that's all I can literally handle as I'm an average joe.  I want to work with other people on this and want to encourage it :)

Sephirous

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 24, 2017, 03:29:09 pm »
It's funny,
The thing that I look forward to doing in COA above all else is editing the Track Names in the Sound Test Option. (A+B+Start)
It's going to be neat seeing the new names. I have no idea why that excites me but it does.  :crazy:
Hacking Nes Roms Is Like Making Sweet Passionate Love, Hacking Snes Roms Is Like Having Your Bitchy Mother In Law Scream At You.

TheLuigiLightning

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 24, 2017, 11:17:13 pm »
Do you plan on implementing any newfound advanced knowledge to Vengeance on Hell?  A while ago, you said that it wasn't going to be a high end hack, but you might be able to after learning all of the ins and outs of Castlevania III.  I still stand by my statement of there being uses for enemies that can only be placed on certain screens with the knowledge you currently possess.  Wouldn't it be great if you could find a way to place enemies at will?

Sinis

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 25, 2017, 08:14:15 am »
Do you plan on implementing any newfound advanced knowledge to Vengeance on Hell?  A while ago, you said that it wasn't going to be a high end hack, but you might be able to after learning all of the ins and outs of Castlevania III.  I still stand by my statement of there being uses for enemies that can only be placed on certain screens with the knowledge you currently possess.  Wouldn't it be great if you could find a way to place enemies at will?

I thought it wasn't going to be either but changed my mind as I figured to go that one extra mile plus getting a little more experience under my belt.  Music was the plan at first but want a few other little details redone like harder bosses because with Sypha/Vilheim's flame attack eats them up so I want that challenge factor in place.  I also want to look into changing Vilheim's attack stance while also giving them the same power as the main weapon of Trevor/Aleysia but short range.  Another factor is to start out with both characters in normal mode and eliminate the other two from the game altogether however I would like to make Alucard's 3 way attack a sub weapon for Aleysia and Vilheim and if it can't then something else will replace it.  It all depends on who I can find that is dedicated in helping to make these changes though I want to change all the levels first with some text tweaking then pass it on.  I do have Sephirous on board to help with other changes as he knows how to hex edit in-depth sprites, nesfan with putting things together for music references and now I just need that programmer, or two, to help with stuff.

As for enemies, I'm not sure if that is possible as from what I noticed within reVamp that each enemy has a certain bank to rely upon with a certain set.  Place something else down the sprite will become bugged and glitched as they won't work properly.  It will also cause the ROM itself to crash on certain occasions within certain areas if you place Enemy Q with Enemy X.  If there is a workaround for that then its well beyond and over my head.

Since I'm talking about game changes, my plans for Castlevania Legends.

The milestone that I want to do is to actually add ropes to the game instead of stairs.  This I know is possible as I saw this almost 10 years ago on YouTube from some Russian hacker doing that to Castlevania 3.  His English was extremely poor as all I remember him saying "Stairs remain but unusable.  Don't know to sprite well can't put rope pictures in."  I tried to find the video but its no longer there and sadly I do not remember on what name he was going under as I was too mesmerized by what he was doing lol.  Back to the point, I want to change some boss functions and add new bosses so there is no double bosses while also eliminating others to be replaced with new ones found within Legends and a few other GameBoy Castlevania games.  I know this won't be an easy thing to do but as there will be extra stages compared to the GameBoy version I want to go all out with that.  For levels, I want them tied back to back with no routes.  The only stage I want to eliminate is the first Clock Tower's second stage where you traverse back down as there will be no point in it since the world map will be remade to resemble an outer castle grounds feeling as the stages where it shows the walk cut scene will be placed more towards the ending levels to the castle itself so it gives the player that feeling you are finally coming close to the end levels but the end levels will be more challenging than the rest.  For movement and weapons, pretty much the same though dunno how it will go down with the elemental stuff that was within Legends.  I might keep those on the side as an idea though can also use some kind of utilization from Sypha's sub weapon attacks to fill that gap and make them drop within the world.  The fireball attack from a powered up whip may be there but I can see it being exploited and also make the dagger sub weapon somewhat useless so still debating to keep it in the idea pool or toss it.  Crouching I'd like to see it be attempted to program in.  Different animation for throwing the sub weapons and magic stuff as it can be something similar to that of Sypha.  Hell, at this rate I wonder if Sypha can just be turned into Sonia and reprogram her base attack to that of 3 animations instead of 2 for the staff to wield the whip.  Be an idea to throw out there to see if things work.  Maybe tie the whip animations that from Trevor and put it in on Sypha's base.  I'd have to leave that up to the programmer and see if they can do that to their own personal discretion on how they want to approach it.   Transition from stage to stage, I still want the doors in as they too are in Legends plus some areas solely rely on them.  The door transitions will be eliminated entirely like the area within Mad Forest for example on where it goes from the door to the route selection.  Those will be eliminated and a boss will be there instead.  Some stages will be very short I know but will look into making them longer or hopefully longer.

The Alucard fights and character cut scenes won't be in as I said somewhere up top as I want to place this setting sometime after Christopher Belmont's time.  Someplace between him and Richter but not where it interferes with Juste's era.  Gotta look at the timeline sometime and see where I can properly put it in.  It won't be canon of course but just want to go that extra mile and adjust it accordingly lol.

Password and such I want to toss and see if someone is willing to implement a save feature.  Something somewhat similar to that found in Castlevania Chronicles but without the level select.  Can have the option to save upon the game over screen.

Last but not least (broken record time) is music.  First track is listed above in a different post.  I do want to insert others from Legends in but not the entire thing.  Just the stage music and the intro/story as to make it longer to fit in the beginning story reel.  Other stuff will be selected from the GameBoy games and around the Castlevania Library.

I think that about covers things for now :)

February 25, 2017, 12:34:17 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
It's funny,
The thing that I look forward to doing in COA above all else is editing the Track Names in the Sound Test Option. (A+B+Start)
It's going to be neat seeing the new names. I have no idea why that excites me but it does.  :crazy:

I need to get that done in my stuff still.  I found something sometime back on how to edit the text though I won't mess with that later on until my stuff is done with you first :)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 12:34:17 pm by Sinis »

DavidtheIdeaMan

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 25, 2017, 12:43:15 pm »
Welp when CoA gets finished,I'll be playing that game like crazy and I think it'll keep me busy while waiting for these two games,I am finally glad to see that Castlevania rom hacks are finally getting the full treatment they deserve,keep up the good work Sinis.  :thumbsup:

TheLuigiLightning

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 25, 2017, 01:56:20 pm »
Welp when CoA gets finished,I'll be playing that game like crazy and I think it'll keep me busy while waiting for these two games,I am finally glad to see that Castlevania rom hacks are finally getting the full treatment they deserve,keep up the good work Sinis.  :thumbsup:

Indeed, I've waited a long time to see Castlevania 3 hacks, and they're looking pretty good.  Much better than all of the mediocre-terrible CV1 hacks that have been made over the years.  In all honesty, I'm looking forward to CoA the least out of all of them.

DavidtheIdeaMan

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 25, 2017, 02:12:43 pm »
Why thank you and Im glad you agree,also I dream of creating a full blown special edition of Dracula's Curse or use it's Engine to create a remake of Castlevania,however I don't have the skills to do such a thing,as my user name suggests,Im more of an idea person.   

TheLuigiLightning

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 26, 2017, 11:07:29 am »
It's never too late to learn, but yes, it's true that hacking requires a certain amount of knowledge and blind persistence.  It's not for everyone.  My father is a computer programmer, and he's tried to get me to learn, but it takes a lot of dedication and focus, which I've just never had enough of to learn.

DavidtheIdeaMan

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 01, 2017, 03:23:27 pm »
Yeah that's true but for now I'll just think up ideas for the game.

Sinis

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 08, 2017, 02:01:09 pm »
An update to Legends NES and VoH 2.

People were wanting to see the Sonia Belmont sprite in full action so posted up a video about it.  Its really just showboating of how it looks right now.  Some Cadence of Agony reboot stuff is in there as well :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNjZMp2hPG8&lc=z13tidszfrnty3ftf23iz1kwquiyj1jai04

For my level statement on having this and/or that short, I'm going back on it and will look into making certain stages long and hopefully make others longer.  I also want to utilize the extra character spaces for new animations for Sonia since it will only be  her.  Really not sure if I want to put an Alucard fight into it as this is going to be set in a different time frame unless someone knows on what they are doing and programs it in then it will be in but right now its on the shelf until further notice.

For VoH 2, just a music track that was silently uploaded a month back.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6_cJc-kcMg

Meant for a mansion area  :P

That's about the gist of things right now :)

DavidtheIdeaMan

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 08, 2017, 07:36:58 pm »
As I said before,excellent job Sinis,hope to see more down the road!

Sinis

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 14, 2017, 02:50:25 am »
A very late night update for music tracks.  Praying Hands makes it way onto the NES and the next track for Castlevania Legends NES :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3a7cE70FNi4

Not much to say as I'm extremely tired.  Hope you ladies and gents enjoy :)

April 15, 2017, 03:52:17 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Figured I'd share this before I disappear for the weekend to work on other stuff.  Track #3 out of 5 for Castlevania Legends NES that I will be sharing to the public has been uploaded.  Dance of the Holy Man finds its way onto the NES :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qhuzeGm2Mc

There is a reason as to why its going to be in the hack as I'll give that info out later :)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 03:52:17 pm by Sinis »

Googie

• eeee!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
« Reply #99 on: May 09, 2017, 04:54:53 pm »
Cool music, I really dig ém.  ;D
The ROM Hacking community's cartoonist...