News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Akumajou Densetsu Projects: Resurrection of Darkness and Vengeance on Hell 2  (Read 28591 times)

Sinis

• View Profile
Re: Castlevania 3 Hack: Vengeance on Hell 2
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2016, 03:05:40 pm »
Another tiny update and its more sprite work.  I've been busy with real life and friends that I haven't done much work on things but have found time recently to touch up on stuff.  Some of the enemy edits below are going to have their palettes changed except for the bat as I feel that I've nailed it to my liking compared to the earlier version that I had.  The undead guard and ghoul I'm still working on so consider those a work in progress.  I've included an attack animation for my main character that I feel comfortable with on having for a final sprite work.

I've also began to work on boss sprites now though I'll show those later on down the road once I get the rest of the lesser enemy sprites finished along with some stages edited.

By the way, something that isn't quite VoH II related (hope this isn't breaking the thread rules since I don't know where to properly post up custom sprite sheets on here.)  Some time back someone asked me in a PM to make some character custom sprites so here are my versions of the vampire hunters.

When I get done with these I'll post them up somewhere.  I'll have them edited and be able to fit into Castlevania I, II and III's main character sprite area along with how they will look while fitting them into YYCHR.  I've used a custom character sheet I made to make the characters so however people use them when I get the sprite sheets done is how they will use them.  I know they may look odd but its something for someone to give them a base to work with and edit at their leisure.  So far I have a Sonia, Richter (both Dracula X and SotN), Hanz, Castlevania II Simon and Trevor that I'm working on.  Others that I will be working on in the future will be Leon, Castlevania I Simon, Chronicles Simon, Castlevania IV Simon, Juste, Julius and Reinhardt.  I'll most likely work on those when I have more of VoH II done along with another project I'm gonna look into picking up and since I'll have the next two months to myself.  In that time I hope to get a big chunk done on VoH II so I can get some screenshots posted up of that instead of just sprite work.

Toodles for now!
Castlevania 3: Dracula's Curse Community Wiki Thread
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=21344.0

Discord: Sinis#4332

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2016, 06:12:47 pm »
Are you making any control changes? Screenshots look nice.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 07:52:58 am by PresidentLeever »
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

Sinis

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2016, 06:37:54 pm »
Are you making any control changes? Screenshots look nice.

For control changes like character wise, I'm not sure.  I have no knowledge on how to do such things yet as I'm just barely breaking the surface on how to program things as is with a 25+ year old book.  Mainly sprite editing right now.  I'm going to look into getting an ASM programming book in the future to learn about this stuff instead of making an ass of myself begging for people on how to do this or that.  I do want to edit the music on this ROM hack before anything else like something major.  I sat down in front of the computer yesterday watching the memory stuff flicker about in an emulator that I'm using and I think I'm getting a slight idea on where the music data is for Castlevania 3.  Once I know where its at I'll be looking at one of those NSF things (can't remember on what they are called) to compare on what to expect from the ROM and music data then I'll start fiddling around with the music data on a separate ROM.

By the way, I do have some update screenshots.  Its not much to show but this is how much progression that has been made these past couple of days.  Level 1 is darn near complete though I need to tinker around with stuff to make it to how I like it.  I did use some sprites that I found online for one background piece though I'm not sure if I will to keep them for one particular spot unless if the feedback is positive about it then they'll stay but if its mixed then they'll be tossed out.  I can make my own but just wanted to see on how they will look.

The part where I used another individuals sprites from some sort of free section on an open forum.  Wish I knew the person's name to reference them properly hence why I'm unsure on keeping them.

The cauldron is a rehash from existing sprites from another game and sprite deal that I found.  I might change the sprites on this one as well.

The first level is meant to be dark.  The story that I have made up and to be edited into the beginning scrolling sequence will explain stuff on how things are unfolding.  I won't edit that until I'm done with the rest of the enemy and level sprites.  I'll also begin editing some enemy sprites and their palettes either Thursday or Sunday, depending if I become busy in real life or not.  Some stuff I'm planning out as certain enemy sprites 'feed' off of the same color palette values and quite a few of them do.

TheLuigiLightning

• ROM hacking; it's like rearranging classical music
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2016, 07:11:03 pm »
Okay, you mentioned music.  I just want to state my personal opinion very clearly about changing music:

Music is a very big part of my life, and I'm always going to get very fussy about the soundtrack.  A lot of people who change the soundtrack end up with sub-quality music.  If you're going to change the soundtrack, make sure that it's comparable to the original, or, please just don't change it.  There's nothing wrong occasionally just remixing a track that's already in the game, or even leaving a track as is if it was perfect to begin with.  That's my personal stance.  Take it as you will.
I am Luigi Lightning.  (You can just call me Luigi, though).
Some say my name is Luigi Lightning.  Others say I am a Lightning Luigi.  Some also say I am Luigi's Lightning.  Some even say I am some prodigy; The Luigi Lightning... guys, it's just a title.  You were correct the first time.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2016, 07:20:52 pm »
Okay, you mentioned music.  I just want to state my personal opinion very clearly about changing music:

Music is a very big part of my life, and I'm always going to get very fussy about the soundtrack.  A lot of people who change the soundtrack end up with sub-quality music.  If you're going to change the soundtrack, make sure that it's comparable to the original, or, please just don't change it.  There's nothing wrong occasionally just remixing a track that's already in the game, or even leaving a track as is if it was perfect to begin with.  That's my personal stance.  Take it as you will.

I'm fixing to start on a CVIII hack and the music is probably what I'm most excited about. If the author is like me he's been waiting his whole life to compose music for a Castlevania game. I'm sure it will be fine.
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

TheLuigiLightning

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2016, 08:05:32 pm »
Yeah... I want to agree, and say I'm confident in your words, but unfortunately, some counter examples come to mind... like Chorus of Mysteries.  I'm not even joking, in the soundtrack of that hack, there is absolutely no drumming whatsoever.  I think that guy was biting off way more than he could chew.
Some say my name is Luigi Lightning.  Others say I am a Lightning Luigi.  Some also say I am Luigi's Lightning.  Some even say I am some prodigy; The Luigi Lightning... guys, it's just a title.  You were correct the first time.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2016, 11:31:00 pm »
Yeah... I want to agree, and say I'm confident in your words, but unfortunately, some counter examples come to mind... like Chorus of Mysteries.  I'm not even joking, in the soundtrack of that hack, there is absolutely no drumming whatsoever.  I think that guy was biting off way more than he could chew.

LOL

optomon

• Rite of Spring
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2016, 12:01:15 am »
To be fair that was one of my first music hacks done back in 2006, and done in the span of about two months. Had to start somewhere.

Learning to hack music is tough. Writing original music is also tough. I could probably help with CV3 music. Even though Cadence of Agony was years ago, that stuff hasn't quite left my mind yet. (Now THAT hack was me biting off more than I could chew).

Anyway like the graphics I'm seeing here, liking the details on those background columns.

dACE

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2016, 04:29:03 am »
Unless you are certain that you yourself could do something better, you should be careful when criticizing others. If you do have the SKILLS - you could even offer to help out.

/dACE

Grimlock

• Graphics Artist, Level Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2016, 09:18:12 am »

I'd personally hate to be judged solely by some of my earlier works, you should have a look at some of Optomons more recent Castlevania tracks:

Optomons YouTube Channel:

https://m.youtube.com/?#/user/Optomon

Rogue Dawn official release date set: Saturday 1/14/2017

Sinis

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2016, 01:16:18 am »
Okay, a small update.  First off I want to say that this hack is starting to have some of the difficulty and frustration from what the first Castlevania game has but in fairness.  I know that info  may scare people off but I'm keeping it down to the wire of being fair and justified.

Bug Found

-Found a bug with the Doppelganger boss upon testing the first stage today.  Instead of death matching the boss I decided to run to the left and due to the room layout (one block higher than the floor instead of two of where the doppelganger's room originally is) it literally spazed out while walking over the ledge while attacking faster.  Don't know how to fix this bug so I'm undecided to either keep in the death match, change the room layout (not feeling great about that idea as it will go against my initial plans for the first stage boss room), or put in another boss with the help of reVamp.

Slight improvements to Level 1's sprites though just the final corridor.  I'm looking into changing some stuff around while I'm putting sprites into the Clock Tower level and I am going to put some of those animated sprite sections to use.  I'm beginning to find myself going from the second to first level a lot to see on what I can add in to make it more dark-ish to my original idea without ruining it or hoping that I am not adding too much to it already lol.

A sprite statue that I found from some time back so I edited and changed it around heavily to this personal version.  The green columns are my version of that 'chaos' column you see in Order of Ecclesia where Dracula's capsule is at (spoiler, sorry).  Had to dust off my DS to take a peek at it to get an idea of how to create it with my own twist on it...no pun intended.

Just added a few stuff to the boss room.

Sometime next week I'll showboat the Clock Tower stage of how that's progressing along.

@TheLuigiLightning:  I actually enjoyed Chorus of Mysteries and how it was themed from stage to stage especially the music.  I always felt there needed to be a part 2 to it with an extremely heavily hacked Castlevania 3 to where every stage was put back to back instead of stuck to chose the paths.  I have a similar hack in mind like that with the stages back to back that I'd love to tackle some day but that won't be a couple of years from now unless someone with tons of programming knowledge wants to do a joint effort to help out as I'd sprite and palette edit (all I can do right now) but that isn't a priority of mine as I'm heavily focused on this project right now.  I will say that one project that I'd like to do is to get with Ballzysoft, the original creator of the first Vengeance on Hell, and give that a rework on stuff.  I know its a 15 year old hack but thought I'd ask him once this is done to see if he's up to letting me edit stuff in it and remake a lot of it but if not that's cool.

For the music in VoH II, I deeply want to change it to fit around the areas.  The thing that I am kind of dreading is to add extra music tracks since a few areas within Dracula's Curse shares the same music from area to area so no clue if its going to be a complete nightmare or what to edit in extra themes.  With that being said this hack won't be coming out for some time until I can learn this even if its just the current music within it which will be just fine with me no matter what the outcome will be.

@SunGodPortal: You'll have to let me know when you begin working on it!

@Optomon, I appreciate the comment sir.  I may try different columns to see on how they are though right now I'm focusing more on enemy sprites and Clock Tower editing.  Hoping to get that level done by the end of next week unless something comes up.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2016, 01:54:08 am »
@SunGodPortal: You'll have to let me know when you begin working on it!

I'm just starting to lay the ground work now. Been working with another game for about a year but needed a good break. Have had a pretty good idea of what I've wanted to do for a while so it's really just a matter of doing it. Always wanted to do a Castlevania hack since it is pretty much my favorite series. Being that it's pretty much dead now it seems like a good time to make a tribute. Never did any ASM hacking before so that's gonna be one of my main goals with this one. Music too.

I'll be working with the US version. Any notes you've accumulated and wouldn't mind sharing would be nice (I'll do the same once I get rolling). I plan on working on a little bit of everything so anything would be relevant.

Sinis

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2016, 09:46:57 am »
Any notes you've accumulated and wouldn't mind sharing would be nice (I'll do the same once I get rolling). I plan on working on a little bit of everything so anything would be relevant.

Sounds good.  I can get some notes put together on Monday from what I've discovered so far.  Do you want them posted on this thread, in a PM or in a document like notepad or Microsoft Word?

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2016, 10:11:43 am »
Thanks for the reply. If it comes to it, what would be your ideas for control changes?

What I would like to see as general changes that, aside from convenience could allow for more aggressive enemies and bosses in some ways:
-Being able to jump onto and off of stairs
-Being able to turn around in mid-air
-Being able to control your jump height
-Less clunky sub weapon use near and on stairs
-A rondo of blood style sub weapon switch or weapon inventory
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

TheLuigiLightning

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2016, 10:58:32 am »
I'd personally hate to be judged solely by some of my earlier works, you should have a look at some of Optomons more recent Castlevania tracks:

Optomons YouTube Channel:

https://m.youtube.com/?#/user/Optomon

I didn't mean to sound like dick about it.  I'm glad to know that he's gotten better since then in terms of music.  I checked out Optomon's newer music, and it's actually pretty good.

February 20, 2016, 11:18:38 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Thanks for the reply. If it comes to it, what would be your ideas for control changes?

What I would like to see as general changes that, aside from convenience could allow for more aggressive enemies and bosses in some ways:

Dude, not being able to control yourself in midair is the entire point of the NES Castlevania series.  If you want a change like that, look for a Super Castlevania IV hacker.  I know personally that if that sort of change was made to this hack, I would most likely lose interest.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 11:18:38 am by TheLuigiLightning »

Sinis

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2016, 01:31:08 pm »

I have no plans on changing any of the controls for the character and the item inventory.  The functionality of how the character is, Trevor in this case, is meant to be clunky and with horizontal attacks as it brings a certain challenge factor into the game and this is what I want to mimic with the new level layouts.  The only helpful thing to attack in an angle is the axe and that's about it and that item alone is powerful as its equal to a single attack from a powered up whip or darn near close to it.  Also with item talk, I don't want to change the values of their attacks nor am I going to change of how many heart usage that they have upon use.  I want to keep the challenge factor within the ROM so that way people can still play something they are familiar to but with new stuff to it.  If this does help I already silently raged at my own ROM hack and its that type of silent rage a person gets when playing the first Castlevania game lol.

The only thing that may effect game play is the boss changes I want to do.  No extra attacks but due to how reVamp likes to say "Oh yeah, the boss is there so have at it" but when you get to the boss room you may see them one second but then they may disappear or bug out.  An example was that I wanted to move the Medusa boss to be the stage 1 boss but when I walked to the boss room you could see the snakes on the ground before it formed but when you got close to trigger the fight the snakes would disappear.  You could walk back out of the room then it would show up again then one would think it probably bugged out but when you go back to check it out it does the same thing over and over.  I figured that there is some sort of room value to be had in all of this since each room is set upon its own rules to work under.

To throw this out there as an FYI.  Before I do any program changes to this hack in the far off future (including music editing) I want to sprite edit everything along with level layout before anything happens because any big changes to the ROM itself reVamp won't recognize it.  Some stuff I'm sure you could get away with but it all depends on what it is and how it falls under the rules for reVamp to allow.

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2016, 03:13:17 pm »
To be clear, I never mentioned anything about diagonal attacks.

"Also with item talk, I don't want to change the values of their attacks nor am I going to change of how many heart usage that they have upon use."

Didn't mention this either.. I'm a big question mark right now.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2016, 03:31:12 pm »
Sounds good.  I can get some notes put together on Monday from what I've discovered so far.  Do you want them posted on this thread, in a PM or in a document like notepad or Microsoft Word?

It would be cool if they were public so others could take advantage too. Or if you don't want this thread clogged up we could start a separate thread like the one that exists as a catch-all for Persona 3/4 research. I'm surprised by how few notes I have found for this game considering how important it is.

Sinis

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2016, 04:23:17 pm »
To be clear, I never mentioned anything about diagonal attacks.

"Also with item talk, I don't want to change the values of their attacks nor am I going to change of how many heart usage that they have upon use."

Didn't mention this either.. I'm a big question mark right now.

Aight, I'll make a strait forward answer then sir.  No changes will be done to the movement of the character.  I probably should have cut to the chase to type that in the first place so pardon the first response relating to your question.

It would be cool if they were public so others could take advantage too. Or if you don't want this thread clogged up we could start a separate thread like the one that exists as a catch-all for Persona 3/4 research. I'm surprised by how few notes I have found for this game considering how important it is.

I have absolutely no problems in making my notes public.  I had planned on making a detailed log on what went to what since there's hardly anything to Dracula's Curse out there.  Could start another thread for Dracula's Curse notes only.  Would also give a chance for other people to dish in as well if they wanted to.  No matter what happens I don't mind people offering help or supplying notes openly on this thread and if that's the case when the time comes I could add their names to the document when its all said and done or whoever beats me to it if this route is taken.  I'm chill with any outcome really.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2016, 05:45:00 pm »
I have absolutely no problems in making my notes public.  I had planned on making a detailed log on what went to what since there's hardly anything to Dracula's Curse out there.  Could start another thread for Dracula's Curse notes only.  Would also give a chance for other people to dish in as well if they wanted to.  No matter what happens I don't mind people offering help or supplying notes openly on this thread and if that's the case when the time comes I could add their names to the document when its all said and done or whoever beats me to it if this route is taken.  I'm chill with any outcome really.

Cool. Can't wait to contribute. This game needs more documentation.