News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Akumajou Densetsu Projects: Resurrection of Darkness and Vengeance on Hell 2  (Read 33724 times)

Zynk

• Submission Reviewer
  • WIP Roll-chan: The Wily Wars
    • View Profile
Towards the project right now, some stuff I came up with on the fly.  A new jump and death animation I'd like to have and replace those currently in the game.

Sorry... but I can't "read" the death sprite. Maybe give her lesser shading and give more emphasis on where her head and limbs are. Or you could base some poses on the GB game, esp. the idle pose (chest front, not back front).

Sinis

• View Profile
Remake the walk from the GameBoy eh?  I could give it a try and see where it goes as I never remotely even thought about doing that and I did redo the death sprite as you can tell where things are as I'll post that up with other things sometime next week for more feedback.  Thank you though :)
Castlevania 3: Dracula's Curse Community Wiki Thread
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=21344.0

Discord: Sinis#4332

DavidtheIdeaMan

• View Profile
Hmmmm sounds interesting :)

Sinis

• View Profile
Hmmmm sounds interesting :)

Indeed :)

Though the idle stuff, wonder if any extra programming will screw anything up for that.  Been thinking about that type of thing off and on for some time since I don't plan on having a timer for the game.  I could work on something and fling up a mock thing to see on what people think of it :)

DavidtheIdeaMan

• View Profile
Sounds like a good idea Sinis,hope you keep that in mind? :)

PachaWillWatchYa

• View Profile
Honestly, at first I thought the second sprite was a backflip, due to her pose.
But the jumping one is nice.
And I'm all in for idle sprite.

I'm just wondering where you'll fit them in, considering that 2 character gfx can't be loaded at the same time(as far as I know, NES can use 4 chuncks of gfx(for the lack of a better name) for sprites and 4 for background), unless you sacrifice space in one of 2 chunks of gfx that are used for enemies or the one used for HUD.
You did say something about only using ropes, but then later you said that you might actualy use both stairs and ropes, so you'll probably have to reuse some sprites for different animations.

Sinis

• View Profile
I don't plan on having any side characters in the game so I'd like to utilize their areas in some way possible especially since I'm still debating on having Sypha's elemental attacks in the game as either rare sub weapon drops or switch between them in a collection thing to give the normal sub weapons a boost while hitting enemies.  May be a too far fetched idea but that's on the side table.

Ropes and stairs idea I've recently decided to actually toss out and just keep the ropes.  I went against my original words and lost focus so definitely want to keep the ropes in as an only means  to get around besides the doors. 

There's a lot of other ideas I want to swing around and get feedback from the community as I'm now finding the time today to physically sit down and work on the game stuff so I will see about posting stuff up maybe later today and if not tomorrow for sure.  If I'm not too damn busy next week I want to pitch some custom lessers around and see of what people think.  I'm also wanting to get feedback on what people think about voice simulation in a game.  Not greatly used but see about something for the death animation and maybe getting hit then that's about all.  I need to talk to nesfan about it again but I have a lot of things going for him right now with making the reference tracks for only Legends NES.  Don't need to overburden him on the matter let alone I want to get all of the music done first then talk about other things :)

PachaWillWatchYa

• View Profile
Ok, if you won't use stairs then there should be enough space.
If you still lack space for sprites there might be some in the HUD "portion", though I don't remember what gfx are where in Cv3 ROM anymore.
I suppose you could use other character's space for enemies/bosses.

Sinis

• View Profile
Whoever I get for a programmer (start the drinking game for every time I say the word) I'll ask them about expanding stuff so things can fit in.  I'm not putting this on a cart so not worried about space issues or how big this will be.

Time will tell and when that rolls around things will be adjusted accordingly :)

By the way.  Does anyone know on how to get in contact with Vice Translations besides their website?  Their original profile on here has not been active in quite some time (since 2010) and haven't heard back from them so beginning to wonder if I should start asking around for English translators for the project.  I'm not fond of Twitter so not making an account to just go on there and ask them about it.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 01:39:59 pm by Sinis »

DavidtheIdeaMan

• View Profile
Cool.

You know,Im surprised that Sephrious is helping with this project,but I hope he help you even more on it after he finally finishes everything for CoA.

Sinis

• View Profile
You know,Im surprised that Sephrious is helping with this project,but I hope he help you even more on it after he finally finishes everything for CoA.

Once he's all done with CoA I'll have him work on certain stuff while in return (and hoping this weekend isn't a cluster and a half) to finally start working on the boss sprites for Metroidvania  :)

DavidtheIdeaMan

• View Profile
Heh heh alright,sounds good :)

But also about Vengeance on Hell,since you are working one the sequel,it's ashame that the first didn't get the red carpet treatment like the second one?

Plus I wonder on what date Sephrious will plan to release CoA,when he get's it done. XD
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 07:19:33 pm by DavidtheIdeaMan »

Sinis

• View Profile
Heh heh alright,sounds good :)

But also about Vengeance on Hell,since you are working one the sequel,it's ashame that the first didn't get the red carpet treatment like the second one?

Plus I wonder on what date Sephrious will plan to release CoA,when he get's it done. XD

Eh, it is of what it is.  In time I hope to draw more attention to it.

He's got real life stuff right now so when he updates is when he updates :P

On a side note, redid Sonia and those sprites a little.  Been messing with stage 2 off and on all day so didn't do too much to her stature.

The death animation will fit into the original death sprite area along with the new jump for the kneeling position but I'm saving that back for a new spot somewhere on the ROM itself because I still want to utilize that.  I'd like to piece them up like how the game already has it especially for the rope climbing sprites...which I should work on sometime tomorrow.  Dunno to either go with two animations or three in how the walk cycle is.  Definitely going to have a three frame animation for the whip attack while on the rope, which sub weapons will also use the same on the rope.  Going to try my best to have it animated in a way to share the same whip animations on foot to cut back on room  :P

There was a question that was shot to me that I want to share on here since I never got to address one thing...can't remember if I did but going to state it anyway lol.  I'm not going to add the crawl animation that was in the GameBoy version.  Of how Castlevania 3/Akumajou Densetsu is that would cause more unwanted work let alone possible bugs as when  you do get stuck in a wall you can keep jumping up until the point you get permanently stuck and have to reset the game.  I'd rather not have that  :P

DavidtheIdeaMan

• View Profile
Oh,your right.

Also nice work on the sprites :)

Sinis

• View Profile
Thanks.

An update about the email I sent out.  Got an error back saying that the email could not be reached.  Double checked to what was up and it was typed correct so don't know why I would get it back this late after a couple of days.  I'm not making a farking Twitter account to ask the person so now I'm kind of in a pickle right now.  Guess I'll go ahead and finish the game as planned then look around for a transcriber.  Such is life  :P

DavidtheIdeaMan

• View Profile
Anytime

Sephirous

• View Profile
Cool.

I can do pretty much anything when it comes to graphics and thinking outside the box. I have just been quite busy lately and haven't had much time to get on the computer.
I'll try my best to make some time over the weekend.  :thumbsup:
Hacking Nes Roms Is Like Making Sweet Passionate Love, Hacking Snes Roms Is Like Having Your Bitchy Mother In Law Scream At You.

DavidtheIdeaMan

• View Profile
Heh hehawesome,I mean you are THIS close to finishing it,I bet you are excited huh? :)

Sinis

• View Profile
We'll see in time for CoA :)

For Legends NES, I'm not jiving with the new sprite walk that I made so going to redo it so she looks normal and more back to her original look.  I'll post this stuff up later next week as I'm getting off track again  :P

DavidtheIdeaMan

• View Profile
Well alright,but you know,I want to see Castlevania III get a fan romhack remake sometime in the near future and maybe use the engine to remake the first one but you know,Im surprised no one has made a romhack of Super Castlevania IV yet?