News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Akumajou Densetsu Projects: Resurrection of Darkness and Vengeance on Hell 2  (Read 28214 times)

Sinis

• View Profile
---------------------------

Castlevania: Vengeance on Hell II

First I'd like to thank Ballz for giving me their permission to add onto their story of their Castlevania II hack, Vengeance on Hell, with it's sequel VoH II based on the U.S ROM version of Castlevania 3!

The title screen isn't final as it's just me messing around with fonts and such to see which seems better to use from editing them down to fit in the allotted space given in the game via YY CHR.

Programs Currently Using

In case someone is curious on what programs I'm using in this project, here's a list on what I'm using  8)

-reVamp (Castlevania 3 editor)
-YY CHR
-XVI32 (Hex Editor)
-Adobe Photoshop CS5 for sprite editing by copying the YY CHR sheet
-Patience (self attributed .EXE human factor) ;)

Story Setting

The setting is to take place immediately after the events of VoH with new twists onto the story.  I am taking certain items, objects and enemies from Ballz's hack by giving them a new looks so that way the not only the player can be familiar with certain aspects but also understand that the chaos caused by Apollion is still rampant on the land due to 'unknown' factors.  Reason why Vengeance is still being sought is that Vilheim learns that other factors were in play to take and corrupt his daughter, the same factors that lead to Apollion's release and eventually Satan's release.

Working on a plausible story without screwing anything up since I will be using the same concept that was used in VoH with the historical and theological background so people would understand the world and characters more.

Plotted Changes to the Game

-Change the sprites within the attack animations of both Trevor and Sypha for the new characters' weapons
-Environments set in a mythological era with a few personal twists to make it feel like real environments
-Room environment layouts with editing from reVamp
-Complete enemy and character customization
-A complete edit to the game's music soundtrack (this will be completed when the text and graphic editing is 100% done and when their is a first version release; when I learn how to edit the music properly.)
-Reorganizing bosses with reVamp
-Deleting certain support characters, mainly Alucard and Grant, use their boss forms for something else.  Sypha will be edited into a side support character.
-Will still keep the different routes to take to the final destination of the game, however, would like to place the edited Sypha character in the different paths so the main character can still encounter this person.
-Increase the attack power of the Sypha character so they feel just as usable as the main character

Just a basic of things that I'm doing right now and want to do.  I'll be slowly working on this as real life has me busy from time to time but this is a 100% dedicated project that will see both the start and finish line.  Things such as the music editing and other detailed, in-depth hacking will come out in later versions as I am mainly focusing on editing the sprites, backgrounds and texts within the game.

I will post up more screenshots in time when I progress further with this hack along with character sheets of the new characters and backgrounds used throughout the game so that way if someone wants to use those sprites for their own projects they can!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 11:40:13 am by Sinis »
Castlevania 3: Dracula's Curse Community Wiki Thread
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=21344.0

Discord: Sinis#4332

haxSon

• There is no video game like yesterday's.
    • View Profile
Re: Castlevania 3 Hack: Vengeance on Hell II
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 04:49:27 am »
This sounds awesome :D

I love seeing new hacks, especially Castlevania hacks.

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 05:16:10 pm »
Looks very promising, however I can't refrain to say it looks like the protagonist's sprite is messed up.

Sinis

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 12:07:06 am »
@haxSon  I feel it'll come along awesome or close to it as next week I'll be working on some enemy sprites.  I need to find some sort of free video capturing device to record stuff from the monitor with sound so I can post up progress videos on YouTube lol.

@Begalad  The armor pieces are in need of work as I'm trying to aim for the character to be reaching back to grab a giant sword in swinging it over their head within the whip sprite's allotted area given in YY CHR, gonna fix the animation next week and post a GIF of it so I can get suggestions on what to fix before messing with other color schemes.  Also, I do have a few other giant sword animations jotted down on a piece of paper that I am going to create next week and also post those up to see on what people think.  Now if I do have to scrap the giant sword draw animation (a very last resort effort) due to it not working out too well then I'll work on a few small sword animations for the sword to be drawn from the side...and if that doesn't work out too well then I'll see about some type of medium sword drawn attack animations off of the back of the character from a sword sheath though I do like the process of the character pulling the sword out of thin air like how the Belmonts do with the whip to attack, will have to see if or when I get that far lol  :D

March 16, 2014, 11:22:05 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)

Quick update!

Adjusted the palette colors for the black and dark red colors to a lighter brown and cyan.  If anyone is curious the palette on the character is 0F 08 3C 20 for a reference if you can't see the character too well.  I'll be uploading a sprite sheet in this topic thread later this week after I get a decent looking giant sword attack for the character.

In my opinion I like this current color palette as it was my Option B.  Got quite a few more options to use but want to hear what people think first before going on down the line ;)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 11:22:09 am by Craftvania »

haxSon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 11:07:39 pm »
Hmm, I kinda liked the old palette,  but the new one is okay too... I think personally whichever you plan to go with I can get used to within a minute or so so long as the gameplay is good.

About free video software, have tried CamStudio?

<a href=http://camstudio.org/>http://camstudio.org/</a>

Sinis

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 01:57:50 pm »
I'm actually going with the current palette that I have now since it won't clash with anything else that I have planned for the stage backgrounds lol!  Thanks for the Cam deal there, it'll be helpful!

A video is up on YouTube for those that want to take a gander at it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4r2uFwrOxI

Things need to be worked out as I'm working on both the sword animation and character attack animation right now.  I'll get screenshots posted up when both are finished!

haxSon

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2014, 12:24:02 am »
Very nice! Is it safe to say that you haven't done any hacking beyond that part in video?

Sinis

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2014, 04:41:59 pm »
Very nice! Is it safe to say that you haven't done any hacking beyond that part in video?

For the most part, no level editing yet since real life has me busy.  Was hoping to get the sword animations done this week with a sprite sheet up of my character but, kinda busy right now.  The giant sword weapon is going to work out, just gotta change the sprite on the first frame for attacking.  Once I get that done then I'll be messing around with sub weapons and the side character that I have planned.  Once everything is situated out then I'll start level and enemy sprite editing with text being the finale stuff to change around for a first version release.

Other than that, things are coming alone nicely but slowly.  I want to finish up the sword animation this weekend and then hook up my big PC speakers to see if the poor quality sound was due to only having my headset plugged in.

I know that I can change the palette colors in the beginning animation before the first level but the thing that's really egging me is how to change the sprites around manually.  I know each area has it's own little coding but could be tedious work which will be saved for later  unless the creator of revamp, +daniel+, has figured things out with all that along with adding rooms and such according the reVamp notes I was reading some time back.

One thing I am going to leave at the very last is the castle before the 'movie' title screen since it uses the same sprites at certain areas.  Need to brainstorm up something since I haven't planned anything for that spot yet.  Also going to see if I can switch the palettes around for the sub weapons if reVamp allows it since I'm not fond of those weapons sharing the same palette coding with quite a few objects and enemies lol.

Googie

• eeee!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2014, 03:57:51 pm »
This looks promising, I'll be keepin' an eye out for this one! :D
The ROM Hacking community's cartoonist...

Sinis

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2014, 02:17:01 pm »
This looks promising, I'll be keepin' an eye out for this one! :D

Sounds good then!

A quick update since I haven't lately due to real life :p

I have scrapped the idea for the giant sword since the hilt I put in the character base attacking animation looks quite odd when throwing the sub-weapons.   Gonna go with a small or medium sword animation, mainly want to aim on what you see on Alucard in SotN but due to attack animation frame 2 there's not enough space to utilize it fully so gonna experiment around.

I'll have some screenshots posted up sometime to show the progression of the main character along with the beginning stages of editing Stage 1!

Sinis

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2014, 12:46:19 pm »
Greetings and salutations everyone!

Here's a screen cap from the current character sheet that I was going to post up but forgot all about it.  Been extremely busy with stuff so I'm slowly doing things to the game's sprites at the moment.  I do all the editing first in Photoshop by scale then I put it into the YY CHR game file.  I'll admit that I do copy stuff from other places but then scale it down to size and then modify it for the look I'm going after so it's original but in a NES way.

Don't mind the screen, was too lazy to edit it  :P

Right now I'm currently changing the way things are made out in the attack animation.  Due to the hilt in the original attack animation being out of place, I'm going for a non-hilt base so that way throwing the sub weapons won't look like things are completely off...and yes, I am already changing the first frame of the attack animation (top right) so it doesn't feel like the character isn't reaching out too far with the left arm while swinging the sword.

I'm open to suggestions on what you may have, especially for the helmet as it still feels a little off for me so any input I welcome it! :)

Sinis

• View Profile
Re: Hack Projects
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2014, 12:37:57 pm »
Long time no chat everyone!  I need to address something that has a bit of bad news involved in my absence in my projects...and no, the projects themselves are not cancelled.  Things need to be redone.

Due to computer issues on an older PC that I was using, I lost everything that was being worked on.  Sadly I did not back up anything since I thought my old PC would be fine after so many years of having it, especially from it's recent rebuild that was done on it back in May.  Long story short, the old 250gb hard drive that I had went out and I lost all my documents and ROM projects last month.

I've been hesitant in posting this info but felt it was high time in doing so.  I know this is something that no one wants to read in someone's thread as it shows no progress being done but again, had to let everyone know on what was up.

On that note, please take notice I have changed the name of this thread from the original title 'Castlevania 3 hack Project: Vengeance on Hell II' to 'Hack Projects.'  Reason for this is to post my NES, SNES and Genesis projects within this thread so I wouldn't cluster up the Personal Projects section with stuff of mine and to also abide by the website/forum rules.

I hope that everyone understands this information that I have put out.  No apology of mine is deep enough to say onto those that were looking forward to seeing more of the stuff that I was doing and learning.

I will now start back at the 0 mark for every project that I had going and planned.

August 17, 2014, 02:50:03 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Vengeance on Hell II
*Update*

Redid this from memory the best I could.  Not sure if I got every pixel exact but it feels right.

I decided to replace the knight character with a female protagonist.  Things still need to be ironed out.  The character was originally based on my Shanoa and Richter 8-bit characters that I made but was sadly lost on my other PC's hard drive when it crashed and burned.

Name of this character is Aleysia, the second daughter of Vilheim.  More info will be released later ;)

« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 07:04:00 pm by Craftvania »

Sinis

• View Profile
Re: Castlevania 3 Hack: Vengeance on Hell 2
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2015, 11:17:17 pm »
Had to dig deep for this thread.  Been so long since I last worked on this (about 3 months ago) as real life has me tied up with working and the likes.  Haven't even been able to sit down and study 6502 Assembly Coding more though I am learning slowly.

Today's post is just a small update.  The top left one is a work in progress as that will be shown in full when that's complete along with others.  I haven't gotten to the bosses yet as I'm focusing on the lessers so they can be out of the way when that next step happens. 

Its not much right now as I'm busy redoing the enemy sprites I currently have including the beginning area sprites to make them more plausible.

I have to address an issue about my YouTube page.  Some time back I was hit by a copyright claim on my only video for some odd reason which lead to me taking it down.  I'm not worried about it so I just shrugged it off and moved onward.  Whatever future videos that I do make about my progress on projects and future learning of things will most likely be put up onto my Photobucket.

That about sums up things for now.  I'll see about picking up the pace more to get this project moving faster but with patience added into the mix.

TheLuigiLightning

• ROM hacking; it's like rearranging classical music
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2015, 12:24:20 am »
Oh my god!!!

This project is alive!  You're still working on it, I'm so relieved!  You have no idea how long I've been waiting for a Castlevania III hack!  Dude, you have my full support!
I am Luigi Lightning.  (You can just call me Luigi, though).
Some say my name is Luigi Lightning.  Others say I am a Lightning Luigi.  Some also say I am Luigi's Lightning.  Some even say I am some prodigy; The Luigi Lightning... guys, it's just a title.  You were correct the first time.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2015, 02:32:17 am »
Looks cool.

Seems like a good enough place to ask:
Does reVamp have anything that makes editing the graphics any easier or is it just a level editor?
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

Sinis

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2015, 10:44:16 am »
@TheLuigiLightning

Yeah, I dropped under the radar when work and other things got in the way so I pushed this project to the side off and on.  I actually have 3 other Castlevania 3 hacks planned when I learn more about 6502 coding (so I don't have to rely on others but my own fingertips) but unfortunately I cannot get a hold of RedRum for the life of me to ask for permission to do an Opposing Bloodlines 3 just for fun so its just 2 others for the time being...along other planned stuff lol.

@SunGodPortal

reVamp is mainly a level editor.  It can somewhat edit the graphics but only the layout, palette colors and whatever else is within the 8x8 boxes.  To explain on how it functions, it takes small areas from what you edit in YYCHR (or whatever editor you are comfortable with) and able to manipulate it around in either a complex or simple manner.  An example, take one of the boxes that contains the floor for the characters and enemies to walk on.  If you edit the big block that they trek on it will then become something different and they will fall through that spot because reVamp is telling the ROM "Okay, I just edited this so this will function differently" and the ROM will acknowledge this and go from there to change other boxes within that stage that shares the same mechanic box that contains the platform.

There are some areas within the game that you cannot edit in reVamp, like the opening scene before Stage 1, unless you have full knowledge with the game's code and reprogram it with whatever method suits you best like hex editing and the likes.  There are also different areas across the game that use the same sprites and same mechanics as compared to this room and/or that room as it has to rely on a certain law mechanic within the game and reVamp itself to abide by (as somewhat explained above).  You can break it by somewhat going out of the boundaries without any problems if you are careful enough but things could eventually result in the ROM either crashing, bugging out with either obvious or hidden bugs and/or glitching.  Tons and tons of testing has to be done to see what the limit is and of what you use to dodge this sort of outcome.  I suggest if you do such a thing write down the passwords to each stage so you can jump around and test them yourself along with making a backup ROM by copy and pasting so to save your progress in case a major screw up happens.  Going back to previous stages to see if things work is recommended because of what you change before it could also possibly change things behind it as that how reVamp works.  The debug menu approach can be good to test such things out but for my personal reference for myself is I'd rather go from stage to stage, area to area, to test everything so it can be tied to each other naturally along with catching on whatever I missed beforehand.

Again and I can't express this enough, everything relies on a rope tied to each other to function along with what areas that they are limited to.  I haven't yet tested every area to see which would take what with whatever boundaries can be pressed but sometime in the future I'm going to make detailed notes that relate to reVamp on full editing process and how to change the corrupt sprites to normal for each area though that is if reVamp will acknowledge the ROM afterwards because whatever full detail editing that  you do outside of reVamp will not make it read a Castlevania 3 ROM as it will think its something else.  Some outside editing won't bother reVamp but in-depth changes will.  On what these are will vary on what editing is done to the ROM itself.  These laws within reVamp goes with the Japanese ROM as well as they function in the same manner.

In the end, you just gotta sit down and just physically mess around with reVamp.  Your experience may differ from mine.

TheLuigiLightning

• ROM hacking; it's like rearranging classical music
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2015, 11:26:33 am »
Hey man.  I just wanted to give my personal opinion on one matter; I know that you want keep the different path system intact, but to be perfectly honest, as you play the game over the years, that goes from being one of the coolest aspects of the game, to one of the most frustrating.  Why not just make the player play through all 15 stages?  That would be really cool!  It would actually make more sense, considering you need to put Syfa in 2 places at once.  Think about it.

One more thing I would recommend doing, if you can figure out how to do it, is expand the ROM to make the stages longer than the original.  Trax did this in Revenge of the Red Falcon, and I think it was a very cool idea!  I honestly wonder why I've never seen anyone else do that.  It's a ROM hack, so you might as well make the game/stages bigger.  I would also recommend making it harder than the original.  When I play a ROM hack, it's generally because I've mastered the game.  Just a few things to think about.
I am Luigi Lightning.  (You can just call me Luigi, though).
Some say my name is Luigi Lightning.  Others say I am a Lightning Luigi.  Some also say I am Luigi's Lightning.  Some even say I am some prodigy; The Luigi Lightning... guys, it's just a title.  You were correct the first time.

Sinis

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2015, 12:18:45 pm »
Hey man.  I just wanted to give my personal opinion on one matter; I know that you want keep the different path system intact, but to be perfectly honest, as you play the game over the years, that goes from being one of the coolest aspects of the game, to one of the most frustrating.  Why not just make the player play through all 15 stages?  That would be really cool!  It would actually make more sense, considering you need to put Syfa in 2 places at once.  Think about it.

One more thing I would recommend doing, if you can figure out how to do it, is expand the ROM to make the stages longer than the original.  Trax did this in Revenge of the Red Falcon, and I think it was a very cool idea!  I honestly wonder why I've never seen anyone else do that.  It's a ROM hack, so you might as well make the game/stages bigger.  I would also recommend making it harder than the original.  When I play a ROM hack, it's generally because I've mastered the game.  Just a few things to think about.

When I gain more knowledge of such things I will take that into consideration for expanding the levels and I did have a planned project similar to the likes making things back to back.  There was a similar hack to this that I got that idea from but the individual who made it wanted money for its release so I put it on my bucket list to learn in the future.  If someone else beats me to it then they beat me to it so no worries there.  Least I know now there is no limits while expanding a ROM and since I have no plans of putting my projects onto cartridges this suits me just fine on making things bigger and longer.  Just have to see on what happens and how fast I learn things.

Speaking of such things, I remember reading the notes to reVamp that the programmer wanted to do something similar on how to learn to add rooms and a few other things but seems there were certain hiccups involved.  I have no idea if the creator of reVamp is still working on the program to find ways around these problems or not so I should look to see if there is any updated info about this progress or even an updated version of reVamp floating around.  I'm going to already assume that they might be doing other adventures or projects so I'm not gonna ask them in case they are busy so I will just browse around for info instead lol.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2015, 03:05:00 pm »
Playing every level would be awesome. I wish someone would make such a hack for Legacy of Darkness. I'd love the oppurtunity to play every level as Carrie or Henry.

EDIT: And with the graphics question I was mainly wondering if it had anything to make editing the main character sprite any easy. The way the tiles are stored in the ROM is just weird.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 03:22:43 pm by SunGodPortal »
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

Sinis

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2016, 06:06:48 pm »
Its me, Craftvania, on a new account.  Gonna let that account sit since it doesn't suit me anymore.

Playing every level would be awesome. I wish someone would make such a hack for Legacy of Darkness. I'd love the oppurtunity to play every level as Carrie or Henry.

EDIT: And with the graphics question I was mainly wondering if it had anything to make editing the main character sprite any easy. The way the tiles are stored in the ROM is just weird.

From what reVamp has to offer, it doesn't make things easy to edit the stuff around exactly what you want it to do for editing the actual sprites or at least from what I discovered with it.  Most stuff on it arranges things around on the side sprite windows to change whatever 'blocks' to another thing.  Of how the author of it has it programmed you can get extremely detailed in editing Dracula's Curse's backgrounds but character and enemy sprites I didn't find much luck with so went with YYCHR.  Now speaking of YYCHR...

Of how I find the stored stuff by using YY's utilities they have submitted onto this website http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/119/ or http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/958/.

These two programs I find very useful for the projects I'm currently working on.  The first one is old as its stated as such on the page and the second link is the newer version.  For my personal preference I use the old one to do the editing for Dracula's Curse mixed with reVamp for background stuff and platform placing.

Of how to edit the sprites properly, open up whatever current project you are working on and see if it shows up properly in YYCHR.  From there find whatever pattern it uses or close to it.  If its like Genesis or SNES things may take a bit to locate, depending on how its tiled out.  Since I'm focusing on NES ROMs right now I use the pattern FC/NESx16 layout to see the sprites used in the animations.  When using this layout you'll have to use the 3rd up and down arrow that light up blue (for me they do) to navigate around to see things properly.  Some have smaller sizes than others so you'll have to watch out for that as we'll take Trevor's whip for example.  When its on the second and fully upgraded buff it will rely on two sets of sprites that are back to back on YYCHR.  One that has the end of the whip and another that makes up for the other sections when cast out in front.  The boundaries can be tricky to identify as it first threw me off entirely when I first looked at it but quickly found out it is split up into sections.  Now for other stuff they are 'cut' in half which shows only one side as this tells you "Hey, I rely on a single sprite that makes up both sides."  Kinda like how one animation of the cross boomerang and giant fire sprites rely on.  You'll have to pay close attention to some stuff especially the background sprites as its kind of tricky since certain areas rely on the same sprites from either this section or a small one from another section.

When editing in YYCHR luckily the palette set on the right allows you to adjust the colors close enough to what they resemble in the ROM so you can identify on what is what especially on what your character and backgrounds will look like though the palette section doesn't adjust and edit the actual colors in the ROM itself as you'll need to hex edit, use reVamp or whatever method that you use yourself to adjust the colors.

I hope this has answered your question or was clear enough to understand.  If you have any further questions about sprite editing stuff don't hesitate to send me a PM.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 03:06:27 pm by Sinis »