News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Mega Man 2: The Mystery of Dr. Wily - Version 1.1 Released  (Read 5056 times)

RetroRain

• View Profile
Mega Man 2: The Mystery of Dr. Wily - Version 1.1 Released
« on: February 28, 2014, 08:39:17 pm »
This is a hack of Mega Man 2, which has the following changes:

- Text edits (as seen in screenshots)
- Slightly modified title screen
- Replacement of the password system with a save system

This is my first NES SRAM hack!  What it does is fix the text (which I felt was needed), and replaces the password system with a save system.  The game will save your completed stages, lives, and E-Tanks at the end of a completed stage.

I should have it released in a couple of days. :)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 12:11:45 pm by Rockman »

Chpexo

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 05:40:24 pm »
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 10:21:40 am by Chpexo »

M-Tee

• One pixel at a timeā€¦
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
Re: Mega Man 2: The Mystery of Dr. Wily - Coming Soon...
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 11:23:07 pm »
I'd give that subtitle some room to breath. It looks pretty awkward and cramped in that space since it's touching the graphics for the building. Maybe in a single row above the II? Maybe with a little design work overlapping the logo?

Save hacks are always rad, though.

Zynk

• WIP Roll-chan: The Wily Wars
    • View Profile
Re: Mega Man 2: The Mystery of Dr. Wily - Coming Soon...
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 11:56:25 pm »
I'd give that subtitle some room to breath. It looks pretty awkward and cramped in that space since it's touching the graphics for the building. Maybe in a single row above the II? Maybe with a little design work overlapping the logo?
I know that there are extra spaces above the title logo and  that you can move it up a few tiles. The TS logo of MM2 is not compressed.

Drakon

• View Profile
    • 16 Bit Gamer
Re: Mega Man 2: The Mystery of Dr. Wily - Released
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 11:04:12 pm »
Killer idea for a hack.  I took it a little further and made it so the menus default to "difficult" and "continue".  I also removed the subtitle from the title screen and made the post stage menu default to "stage select" instead of sending you back to the title screen.

https://www.mediafire.com/?f4thn5yoxqktnap

I've been playing through this.  This hack is quality.  There's no bugs or issues whatsoever from what I've seen.

I removed the subtitle because the title graphics of megaman 2 are so epic anything that distracts you from it ruins the effect.

March 06, 2014, 07:40:59 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
I found a glitch.  I cleared all 8 robot masters and saved.  Loaded and it sent me to the wily cutscene as it should.  I saved again, loaded again , and suddenly 4 robot masters came back.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 07:40:59 pm by Drakon »

RetroRain

• View Profile
Re: Mega Man 2: The Mystery of Dr. Wily - Version 1.1 Released
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2014, 12:12:30 pm »
Version 1.1 Released

There was a bug in the game.  If you were starting the game for the first time, and selected Continue from the game start screen, it loaded what was stored in SRAM (which was #$00) to your lives.  This meant that you started the game with 0 lives, but if you died, it would decrement your lives to #$FF, which would mean you had 255 lives.  I noticed this when I saw a sprite glitch of the lives in the inventory screen during gameplay.  In order for the game to take you to the Game Over screen, you have to have 1 life in RAM.  The game checks for this.  Since it was already 0, it skipped the Game Over routine.  This bug has now been fixed.

People have mentioned that the subtitle "The Mystery of Dr. Wily" seemed out of place on the title screen.  I have fixed this also.

You can download this latest version 1.1 here:

http://acmlm.kafuka.org/uploader/get.php?id=4595

Satoshi_Matrix

• Retro & Contemporary Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Retro & Contemporary Gaming Archives
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2014, 01:44:52 pm »
One change I'd definitely like to see is to at least double the maximum number of Crash Bombers you can fire. In the original, you could only fire off 7 before completly depleting your entire stock. Compared to the Metal Blade which could be fired 56 times in total, it means you can never use Crash Bombers as an offensive weapon and must conserve your energy for that damn wall boss in Wily 3.

Anyone who has ever played through Megaman 2 knows what I'm talking about already, but just to restate, this boss is protected by Crash Bomber walls, and the sensors themselves can only be destroyed by the Crash Bomb. The bare minimum number of shots it takes to defeat the boss is 6 Crash Bombers, and that's getting both the two walls in the bottom right corner with one Crash Bomber in the middle of both. If you run out of ammo, you're screwed. You need to die, be sent back, and then farm enemies for more Crash Bomber ammo.

This sucks and is the kind of game mechanic that would be considered unexceptionable even in the 16-bit era, let alone today.

Ideally I'd like the ammo for the Crash Bomber to be increased to 21 shots, but even doubled to 14 would be a big improvement.

Speaking of weapons, another slight change that would make the experience better would be if the Flash Stopper could be disabled manually by pressing B. In the original, once engaged, you have to wait until it depletes all of its energy which limits its usefulness to only a few sections of the entire game. This alternation isn't as important as the need for a larger supply of Crash Bombers, but it still would be a nice improvement if you're going for an improved Megaman 2 experience in the first place.

Drakon

• View Profile
    • 16 Bit Gamer
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2014, 02:13:49 pm »
Needs more of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwZd1JmsKso&feature=youtu.be

I made one myself that works all the way up to the final stage and it saves how much ammo your weapons have.

I completely disagree with satoshi matrix.  Having exactly enough crash bombers is what makes that boss fun.  I like having a boss where I have to plan my ammo and strategy.  I think that crash bomber boss is part of what makes megaman 2 great and more games today should have more elements like this.

I do agree with that flash attack idea, that's brilliant, I'll give that shot.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 02:20:21 pm by Drakon »

Satoshi_Matrix

• Retro & Contemporary Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Retro & Contemporary Gaming Archives
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2014, 02:41:22 pm »
As you often say, we'll agree to disagree on that.

Challenge is fine. Frustration isn't. It's a careful balance between the two that make some games great, and others flawed. As far as I'm concerned, the limited ammo barely being able to make it through wall sensor boss is bad design and leads to unnecessary frustration that isn't seen again in any other Megaman game.

The other reason I'd like to see more Crash Bomber ammo is so it can be used as a standard offensive weapon against normal enemies. In the original, since ammo was so limited, you hoard Crash Bombers and only use them a couple of times throughout the game. I think 21-28 uses would adequately serve this purpose.

Drakon

• View Profile
    • 16 Bit Gamer
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2014, 04:09:56 pm »
Man I really wish you'd sit down and learn how to do this stuff.  I've love to see what your version of megaman 2 is like.  Anyway about the ability to stop the freeze attack, I sat down and got it working:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjHvjDPZUu0&feature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_A8uhI0bHhk&feature=youtu.be

It's a thing of beauty.  I've wanted to be able to do this since I first played megaman 2 as a kid.

I could do the crash bomber thing but I have zero interest in that.  Perhaps you can use that as motivation to learn how to rom hack yourself.  That would be a fairly good beginnerish hack.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 05:26:04 pm by Drakon »

RetroRain

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2014, 12:22:32 am »
The romhacking.net download link for my hack still lets people download Version 1.0, even though in the description, I am still linking to the Version 1.1 which is being hosted on acmlm.kafuka.org.

I don't have any hosting space.  I was wondering if someone could download the Version 1.1, and replace it with the Version 1.0 that is currently there.  I want people to download the bug-free updated verison, not the outdated version.

Can other people modify my hack page other than myself, so that they can do this for me?

Or if someone could temporarily host the zip file so I can update the link, that would be awesome too.

Thanks.

Zynk

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2014, 12:33:48 am »
You could use Zebucket anytime.

RetroRain

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2014, 12:37:34 am »
Thanks!  I didn't know about it.  Does it allow you to delete your own files also?

Zynk

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2014, 12:39:25 am »
If you mean delete files on Ze bucket, not that I know of. But I think you can't.  :P

RetroRain

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2014, 01:46:41 am »
Thank you Zynk Oxhyde.  I was able to update the entry and put in the latest version. :)