Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ドクロべえ  (Read 2530 times)

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
ドクロべえ
« on: February 27, 2014, 06:33:38 pm »
ドクロべえ is an enemy that uses another enemy as a disguise before it reveals itself. Oddly enough the ninja cat Kurobei from Ganbare Goemon uses a disguise when you first meet it. It can't be a coincidence given the similarities, but I don't know what the hell is going on. Anyone got any ideas/theories on this one?

Just to be clear, I think there's a good possibility that this name might possibly be a pun. If that is the case, I would not want to translate it as Dokurobei and would rather translate the spirit of it instead, so the player can understand the joke, if there is one.

This appears to be a Yatterman reference and/or a lazy joke. Googling the name gave me this instead.

ドクロベエ

Apparently they swapped the Katakana with a Hiragana, which I guess is the equivalent of using Caps in English.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 08:49:08 pm by Pennywise »

Cargodin

• View Profile
    • Doushiuh☆oh翻訳
Re: ドクロべえ
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 02:05:42 am »
ドクロ = skull (as Dokurobei wears), but I think they're going with a reference to Dokurobei, like you said.

Mew seeker

• What are you doing there!?
    • View Profile
Re: ドクロべえ
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 06:25:54 pm »
It's just a suggestion but assuming you have not figurired it out yet,
perhaps watching a Let's Play (if possible) on Niconico.com could help you learn the reference.
Sometime in the comments, people will react about a joke and be especially obvious. Good luck. ^^