News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Dragon Warrior Monsters 2-New hacking wiki  (Read 2375 times)

bcrobert

• View Profile
Dragon Warrior Monsters 2-New hacking wiki
« on: February 26, 2014, 01:56:06 am »
Dragon Warrior Monsters 2 (both versions) was an amazing set of games, but never got much attention from the hacking community. On that note, there is now a new wiki at http://dragon-warrior-monsters-2-modding.wikia.com/wiki/Dragon_Warrior_Monsters_2_Modding_Wiki devoted entirely to studying it with a "what could be improved" mindset.

Having studied the ROM, built a quick experimental hack with the breeding data, and studied every FAQ I could find, I quickly realized that the fastest way to get past my limits would be to get connected. So with the help of an ASM wizard from one site and a DWM2 veteran from another, I've learned new ways to change the game. I'm hoping any other hackers/researchers who share an interest in the game will stop by the wiki and try contributing.

Or just go to the wiki's forum and let us know that there ARE people who would still play this game in 2014. Hope to see some of you soon, thanks for reading.

tryphon

• View Profile
Re: Dragon Warrior Monsters 2-New hacking wiki
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 04:45:50 am »
Just a note to say there's already a wiki dedicated on hacking on this site : http://www.romhacking.net/wiki/

It may be safer to avoid dispersing ressources (or not, I don't really know). Or at least make an entry on the site wiki to yours.

bcrobert

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 12:16:37 pm »
I'm not trying to "compete" with datacrystal, if that's what you're worried about. I plan on updating datacrystal after we've had some more time with preliminary research. As it is we're still compiling our notes and using the DWM2 wiki as a sort of rough draft and pseudo-community.

Do not want to spam RHDN with the rough draft phase, so we're trying something new. :/

tryphon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 01:19:08 pm »
I don't see it as competition, I'm in no way related to datacrystal staff :)

That's just that, personnally, when I'm looking for something about a specific game, I first go to datacrystal, see there's nothing, then google and spend some hours to gather information, grumping that it should have been put in datacrystal  :laugh:

That's why I took some time (and will take more) to upload on datacrystal what I found about the games I'm working on.

bcrobert

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 05:48:47 pm »
Ah, sorry I just misunderstood then.

I usually check datacrystal first too, but the plan here is to organize all the data, do some testing, peer edit to ensure accuracy, and THEN post findings on datacrystal. I like to assume that all of the information on datacrystal is tested and accurate. I don't want to screw anyone over if it turns out I was completely wrong about a few bytes somewhere. :P