News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: Detective Conan: The Mechanical Temple Murder Case for Game Boy Color - IN ENGLISH!  (Read 10852 times)

RHDNBot

Update By: Psyklax

After a lot of laborious work, the first Game Boy Color release of Detective Conan is available in English! This is my first full hack after a few aborted attempts at other games. The game itself is all about text rather than skill, so it took a long time - the hardest part was the translating, as my Japanese isn't all that great and it takes me a while to get the translation right.

The GBC is an ideal system to do, because while it's still relatively primitive, it also has huge carts, way bigger than strictly necessary. So nothing in this game was compressed, making my job a whole lot easier.

It's not the most challenging game out there, but the story is entertaining, especially if you're familiar with Detective Conan. The quality of dialogue will make or break this translation, so efforts were made to get it sounding as natural and interesting as possible.

Enjoy! And hopefully the second game will come eventually, too!

Psyklax

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link: (http://s346165667.websitehome.co.uk/psyktrans/)

KaioShin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

pablitox

• View Profile
Awesome job Psyklax! I'm gonna play it right away!!  :)
Re taking hajimari no ishi!

flyingclimber

• View Profile
Very cool. How about doing a blog post series about how you were able to do it? Seeing the various rom regions in

http://www.romhacking.net/translations/gameboy/patches/2151readme.txt

makes me wonder what it took to make all of this happen.

fireball

• View Profile
yay for Detective Conan ^^

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
How about doing a blog post series about how you were able to do it?

You know, I thought of doing that, but decided a video would be more fun. I'm an English language teacher by trade, so I think I'd be well suited to the task. :)

I'll get on it when I have the time.

Bregalad

• View Profile
Looks like a fun game (despite being licensed), thanks for the translation !!

sauyadav

• View Profile
Thanks a lot  ;D!! As a fan of Detective Conan (manga), a new mystery to solve is always welcome  ;)

Edit: So I have completed the game  :). Thanks again for your effort! Now waiting for the sequel  ;)

PS: Anyone in need for a walkthrough (I got stuck near the end) should check this (open in chrome for auto translation)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 09:04:54 am by sauyadav »

Bregalad

• View Profile
I have trouble getting the game to save. Does it use an atypical SRAM size ?

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
Hmm, I never had problems saving in an emulator, but I don't have the ability to test on a real Game Boy. Assuming that's what your problem is...

If you just want to play in an emulator, you can use save states of course. I don't see why it shouldn't work on the real thing, though: I don't think I've messed it up that much.

ps. sorry for taking 3 months to reply, I forgot about the "Show new replies to your posts" button. :D