Well, I am now finished all the way up to the End of the Overworld section. That's nearly half the game down! These last few weeks have been spent fine-tuning and testing every foe to make sure they were defeatable and to assure that the challenge was consistent, but fair to the player. The Tower of Zot ups the ante once more, but should be kept level with the levels gained in the Magnetic Cave. Status effects, status guards, proper equipment optimization and knowing the roles you want your characters to play will be essential to win now. (Granted you weren't exactly coasting by in earlier areas)
Cid will become an incredible asset during boss fights now with the ability to split items, especially in those unlucky turn of events where Sleep and Stun may abound. Just toss one Uncurse through Item Lord onto the party and recover. While Tellah may have had the oomph to stand alongside Cecil with a sword, it is quite likely from hereon he will be relegated to magic use. His Strength begins to lag behind and his other roles of Healer and Magic User become paramount to success.
But this is only from the Magnetic Cave to the Tower of Zot (And Eblan, by extension) that these tips apply to.
I think I am in a comfortable enough position to release a demo with "Overworld Complete" as its tag to gauge the reaction of interested players.
Now a couple of hints...
1. Always keep in mind that this is a challenge mod. While your new skills and equipment should keep pace with the game, do not fear to grind, after all, most enemies now have a rare or unique 1/32 drop that may help you on your way whether it be a new accessory or a rare weapon, you can be sure it is likely worth the effort, should you feel up to it.
2. The beginning of the game is brutal for those who don't utilize Dark Omen to its fullest potential. Remember, Dark Omen is a dark elemental spell with a good damage potential instantly killing much of the early game foes without the bat of an eyelash. It will be a lifeline in the early parts of the game.
3. Stock up on all kinds of status healing items, you can't be sure what the next foe will inflict upon you so always come prepared. With Whistles being 10 GP you will no longer have to worry too much about Item Space.
4. Make use of the new abilities. Though you really can't use Kain's Dragon Speech in your first outing with him (unless you grind to a ridiculous amount to stand on equal terms with the 1/64 enemy Mech Dragon outside of Baron...) Rydia's Geo, Edward's Bard Song, and Yang's new Gird (eventually) are helpful tools indeed. Also don't forget Rosa's entirely new skillset. Hunt will be the key to getting many unique and powerful items.
5. Be aware of the new stat bonuses. Many items that were in the original game give stat bonuses and you can be sure the new ones will too. There isn't an Item Description for them (Yet) so make sure to check on your own.
6. Take advantage of enemy types! The Traveler Knife, if you are lucky enough to obtain it deals heavy damage to Beast-type enemies
And that should be all the hints needed! I think... if you have any questions, complaints, bugs (not visual though, I'm aware of many of the in-battle graphical anomalies which may occur with my hacks) please, post them here.
(I would have attached it directly to this post, but it seems I'm unable to do thaat for some reason)Final Fantasy IV-Combat Boost! (Overworld Complete) (Beta0.03)
WARNING: Must Be An Unheadered Rom!