News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Final Fantasy IV: Combat Boost! (A Final Fantasy IV Hack) (88%) v0.19 Available!  (Read 51874 times)

chillyfeez

• View Profile
... Cure potions? It's the only thing I can think of. She very realistically could have gotten some from Fabul's supply, so as not to deplete the actual player's supply.
Alternately, since a stop at the inn is mandatory, maybe she doesn't heal the party at all... Maybe somebody just says, "let's rest up (or whatever)."

I did die once in the first battle at Fabul. But I had a StopTrap and used that the second time around. Oddly enough, the second battle against General and Soldiers didn't give me as much trouble. On the whole, I'd say the difficulty there is just right. By the time Kain shows up, Edward had just died in the last battle, but I knew I wouldn't need him anymore so I left him dead (besides, it's his fault you have to fight that battle, stumbling and making you go back to fight. For all his dexterity, he sure is a klutz).
Ongoing project: "Final Fantasy IV: A Threat From Within"

Latest Demo

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
Ah, I'm glad to see things are moving pretty smoothly then.

If I can ask, what rare items have you picked up so far from enemies?  I made a record of all of the rare equipment and items one can attain before the party split and it was over 15 items.

Yes, I think no one using any kind of healing would work bes,t as they are going to the inn, as you mentioned.

chillyfeez

• View Profile
Let's see...
Imp, Cockatrice and Bomb orbs, thief knife, item seeker knife (still not sure what it does, but great attack power), silver shield (not rare per se, but an early grab, and I'm looking forward to having it after The Great Metamorphocecil). That may be it. No whips, and of course a bunch of attack items like bomb parts and vamp fangs (holy moly, >1000 damage plus draining?). I didn't get a lot of good use out of Rosa's Hunt ability, largely due to how much time was devoted to keeping everyone alive. I imagine I'll use it more later in the game.

Latest Demo

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
I *think* I added a little thing about the Item Seeker Knife in the Training House. What it does when it activates is moves an enemy's drop rate to +40. Giving an enemy a 25% chance to drop their item rather than the default 5%.

What are your general levels currently?

chillyfeez

• View Profile
All they say in the training room is that item seeker (and thief knife) can activate skills.

Well, I am up to becoming a Paladin.
Cecil 28
Tellah 28
Palom 25
Porom 24

Undead Milon was a great challenging battle... The only thing I would say there is, I assume (because of what he says) that he's only supposed to use that uber-powerful counter attack if you use fire magic on him, but I got it from some (or at least one of) Cecil's sword skills. Having two characters with blink was definitely the key to winning that one for me.

I have no clue how to beat the dark knight. I thought maybe it was telling me to use an uncurse, but that doesn't seem to help. He attacks so quickly I can't get much in before I die. I do the most damage by using a potion on him after he uses dark omen, but it's still pretty hopeless. I went back to Mysidia to talk to all the people like you said, but I don't think I got any info I can use.
So, yeah... The puzzle is kinda vague, like you said.

Latest Demo

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
Those seem reasonable levels, yeah.

Ah... maybe I do need to change it. It was meant to be used in a classic FF sense "what immediately kills a Zombie"? Since that is what the Dark Knight becomes from in-game data. That probably gave it away, hehe.

Here is the normal hint...

"When Darkness holds sway over your heart what must be done to rid the evil from your body?"

Any thoughts on how to make that clearer without giving it away?

The hints in Mysidia were about using Dark Arms moving into Mt. Ordeals with the vast majority of all foes being Undead, hence Dark Elemental and in Combat Boost the Dark Armor resists Holy hence making Cecil weak to Dark, at first this didn't make too much of an impression since elemental weakness is only  x1 1/2 of damage, in Combat Boost it is x2 Damage. Which makes Dark elemental foes extremely effective against Cecil. Also something that could be done to effectively use the Death Sword in Mt. Ordeals would be to pair it with Tellah's Elemental Sword ability to overwrite the Darkness Elemental and since Fire is 01 there's a very good chance of it attaching to the sword and being very effective against enemies in Mt. Ordeals.

And yes... the way the Break Skills work is the formula looks at the skill's elemental and applies the rest from there. The Power Break in particular is Fire Elemental.

chillyfeez

• View Profile
Yeah, so I probably would have spent a very long time on that one if you didn't kind of give it away.
To tell the truth, I didn't even know life potions (or spells) killed zombies in FFIV. I really thought that was something that started with FFVI (which was notorious for its not-so-secret super easy ways to kill stuff).
But, assuming people know this trick (maybe somebody in the training room should address it?), there's still the problem of how to hint at it... I like the sound of "When Darkness holds sway over your heart what must be done to rid the evil from your body?" but I'm not sure it properly hints at the solution.
... Actually, if you want to have the answer available without slapping the player in the face with it, simply making the "revive kills zombies" and "Dark Omen makes you a zombie" information available in the training room would suffice. Then, where you currently have "When Darkness holds sway over your heart what must be done to rid the evil from your body?" you could put in some hint about using the dark knight's weaknesses against him instead.

So I guess I'm on to the Serpent Road next, huh? A legitimately new area should be fun. I hope it's not fully modeled after TAY's version, though. I wasn't a huge fan of that. Or maybe it was just that TAY made you go through it roughly 5000 times. Give or take a thousand.

November 29, 2014, 12:32:17 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Oh, I keep forgetting to bring this up - while it's a clever use of how yes/no works in FFIV event structure, I question the choice of "Shop 1 - Yes; Shop 2 - No." Unless you really needed to free up an event (I'd be surprised), it seems like it would be a better choice to just have two merchants.
Or if you changed the verbiage of the Yes/No choice, but that would have implications in many other preexisting events...
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 12:32:17 am by chillyfeez »

Latest Demo

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
It's kind of bizarre. FFIV does have that work... for a single undead enemy. All but the VampLady in the Sealed Cave have immunity to KO, but the Life formula has "If Undead - set KO status on enemy".

I think you're right that I should hint at it... but the problem with making Undead being killed by Life Potions and Life spells is that they would need to have them not being KO immune, which would make them weak to the Death Sword. I could change the effect of the Death Sword, but that is one of Dark Knight Cecil's legacy weapons, and it may be wrong to change it. I think making it clear that it is Zombification might help... I can't think of a good way to phrase it though.

The Serpent Road is an experiment, it is based on hidden passages which may be too vague and annoying to deal with. I originally planned on Treasure Chests there, but we didn't know how at the time.

The problem with two merchants is the necessary for another NPC in all of those maps which would make me remove several other NPC's from other areas and my luck with adding NPC's has never been good.

I can make it cleaner at least, like...

"Would you like to shop at the First Item Shop?" Yes/No

No -

"Would you like to shop at the Second Item Shop?"

chillyfeez

• View Profile
Here's a thought: your two item shops are selling exactly eight status healing items. So you could rearrange what's in each shop and ask, "would you like to buy healing potions?" (Yes/No), then "Would you like to buy other sundries?" (Yes/No).

The monsters in the serpent trench are tough! I figured out that I can mini the mad mage, and the grudgers have a lot of HP at least I can deal decent damage. Those serpents, though...
This is another one of those situations where I think you may want to consider having the monsters drop a bit more GP... or make the inn (at Mysidia) cheaper. I feel like if I can't go more than two battles without having to run back to heal, I'm OK with that as long as those two battles yield enough money to heal. But maybe I'm just being a whiny brat about it.

What about something like, "to defeat your dark side, you must bring to life the light inside." I donno, maybe that's more obvious than what you want.

Latest Demo

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
That's a good idea. I'll probably end up going with that.

The enemies in the Serpent Road are legitimately tough due to this being the point where the player should learn how to take advantage of all of their new spells.

Serpent's can be Blinded and Muted, thereby cutting their effectiveness pretty severely, but their heavy weakness is their Low HP. You seem to be leveled enough where you have Quake with Palom who can take them out pretty effectively.

Another thing you can take advantage of dealing with them is that they are not vulnerable to any element at first, but they do innately have x4 weakness, so if you use Piercing Sight their weakness will always be a "very weak" setting.

Also if you ever obtain a weapon called Traveler's Knife it is a powerful weapon against Beasts (among other enemy types) which make the Serpents a fair amount easier to deal with.

Alternatively the Flayers and Mad Mages are... Mage Types hence Palom and Tellah can use Aura on Cecil (or Tellah could use Aura on himself) to let him deal Tons of damage to the mage types.

But yes... there's no reason for the Inn to be that expensive. I'll cut it down to 50 GP. I suppose they put it as that expensive still to show the dislike the Mages had for Cecil.

chillyfeez

• View Profile
Huh... I thought I tried status spells on the Serpents and they failed. I'll try it again. I do have the traveler knife. Right now Tellah's got it, and I think I did find that it deals heavy damage to them, but I didn't understand why till now. Re: piercing sight - I tried that too, but I'm not sure it worked properly (yikes... Is that code I helped clean up?). It was supposed to make them vulnerable to fire, but Palom's Fire2 still did 1 damage... Quake did work for me, but with the 200 GP inn, I thought you had intended for me to be frugal with my MP.
I'll re-test that other stuff and let you know for sure what works and what doesn't.

November 30, 2014, 11:38:54 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
I think the Serpent Road might be a little to hard for where it is in the game.
I understand you want the player to make use of all the new spells now available, but there isn't really time in the course of a battle to figure out what is going to work. I can beat the two serpents (which is good, considering they're a "can't run" battle - was that intentional?), though I basically accomplish that by hitting them with the strongest nonelemental spells in my arsenal, which leaves me with 0 MP. The other battles I already mentioned are fine enough, though it's pretty much all I can do to get through one. The Flayer, same story. The wood bot/mage/[couerl type, whatever it's called - I forget] battle is just about impossible. The Couerl type dies quickly with a quake (even virus might do it). I can mostly neutralize the mage with mute, but it doesn't matter. The wood bot gets me no matter what I do. Status attacksdon't seem to work. I can slow it, but part of its routine involves fast, so that helps little. If I kill the mage first, the wood bot uses fury and I'm dead. If I try to kill the wood bot first, it uses Fire3 on itself when its HP gets low ans reverses all the damage I've done. By the way, I tried Prcn, and it said it made the wood bot weak against fire, but it wasn't. So it got to me running every time that battle comes around. Then I got into a battle with three ogre types. I didn't even try. The first one hit one of my characters for over 1000 and I ran. I also "fought" a great drake. All it did was cast slow on me over and over, but I might as well have been using weapons made of aluminum foil, and it's seemingly impervious to all my magic. I could have sat there and used physical attacks to slowly but surely deplete it, but my guess is that once it gets down to a certain level of HP, then the "real battle" begins, and I seriously doubt I would have survived that.

So anyway, my suggestion is this:maybe try lowering the agility of the monsters in the serpent road. At least give the player a chance to figure out which spells will work to get them through because where it stands now, the options are 1) throw out the heavy artillery and deplete all MP so you have to go back and rest, or 2) try a couple of support spells and if/when they don't work, run, then go back and rest anyway because you're almost dead.

As for me, I'm going back to Ordeals to grind up to lv 35 or so. I think it's my only option. The humor of that situation is that it's less than what I usually do in a normal game of FFIV. I like to get Meteo for Palom before Tellah gets it so I can chuckle when he's so amazed that Tellah learned Meteo.
(True FFIV nerds, represent.)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 11:38:54 am by chillyfeez »

Latest Demo

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
This was a highly amusing post, but also displays my carelessness. The WoodBot is supposed to be an enemy that Yang is supposed to be great against. It is there because the place uses some formations from the Magnus Cave and when I added the WoodBot to Magnus Cave I forgot that one of those formations were also used in Serpent Road. My mistake.

As for the "GrtDrake", I forgot to actually program them, (1/64 chance by the way!) so literally they have "If No Condition Fight" - "If Only Monster Left - Use Slow". Eh heh... a bit silly of me.

I actually forgot I included them already.

I know that Piercing Sight works correctly... considering that I have several pictures of it in action in this topic, hehe. Here is my two cents on what likely happened... the Serpents use Shell as part of their attack patterns and that can quickly get out of control to where even matters they may be weak to could result in 1 Damage and with 30% Magic Defense there's a possibility that several of the multipliers that Palom had fizzled.

I may have to completely rethink my plans for the Serpent road. The idea behind it was to give a Mage-Heavy focus since Palom and Porom have so little utility and are quickly joined by Yang in Baron, I'm now not so sure I actually succeeded.

I think I will lower their agility a bit as you suggest.

chillyfeez

• View Profile
So, umm... Any hints about how to reach the second floor of the Serpent Road?
I've leveled up enough (P/P 31, T 30, C 25) that I can survive traversing the whole first level, but I have no idea how to get to that warp point. I can get about five spaces away from it using the false wall at the top, but then I'm stuck. I've also looked for ways to hit it from the left right and bottom to no avail. :banghead:

I may have to cheat and open the ROM in FF4kster to view the map...

December 04, 2014, 01:48:10 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
OK, I cheated. I see it now. How did I miss that?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 01:48:10 pm by chillyfeez »

Latest Demo

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
Those seem like decent levels, not too high, but not the average either. Good work figuring out how to get through most of the Serpent Road. Do you think the place could do with treasures to make the alternate dead ends serve more purpose or do you think the single path that has to be followed through is the best way to go about it?

chillyfeez

• View Profile
I do think treasures would be nice... A tincture or two could serve as its own reward in making the journey a bit more survivable, and maybe the big payoff could be some kind of magic rod that either can can cast a worthwhile spell or gives a good wisdom boost... Well, that's just a thought, but yes, it could do with a couple of chests I think.

Latest Demo

vivify93

• White Wizard
    • View Profile
Tomato is playing Combat Boost, or was tonight. Not sure if you guys stepped in. Hope he continues.
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
Yikes! It is rather rough around the edges and I never expected anyone to stream it. He is aware of how difficult it is, right? I mean I've made the Serpent Road nearly impossible in its current incarnation due to an oversight.

How far did he happen to get?

If he needs any more assistance I'll be happy to help where I can, I'll have to check out the streams after I wake up tomorrow morning. It's now 3:00 AM, hehe.

vivify93

• White Wizard
    • View Profile
Not sure how far he got. I felt sad that I missed it because he's also playing Project II due to playing Combat Boost. One of my idols streamed me, and I missed it! :banghead:
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

Tomato

• View Profile
    • Legends of Localization
I'm on my way to Octomamm! But here's a quicker summary:

I've been watching this project for a long time so I know it's not meant to be easy :P My experience so far is pretty much exactly the same as chillyfeez's. It's a really neat spin on the original game, so I look forward to playing (and dying) more soon!

EDIT: I haven't put it on YouTube yet, but you can see my first 2 hours here if you're interested: http://www.twitch.tv/clydemandelin/b/595806173
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 09:50:35 am by Tomato »

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
I am glad to see you and Chillyfeez have been enjoying yourselves. This semester is nearly finished and all that's left to attend to is finals but I Finally have two days to myself without classes or work so I will work on fixing some of the more egregious glitches (I'm looking at you CalmWind, WoodBot in the Serpent Road, Only-Slow casting GrtDrake as well in the Serpent Road!). I will also add in Chillyfeez's newest User Options patch and I might touch up the Shadow Blade if I can think of something to use that with because quite likely by the time you get the Shadow Blade you likely have something else and Dark Elemental isn't exactly That beneficial in this game.

I may also need to touch up the Antlion, I was thinking of using Bardsong as a possible requirement? I'll have to brood on that one for a bit. Thanks for the link! I'll watch it now.