News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Final Fantasy IV: Combat Boost! (A Final Fantasy IV Hack) (88%) v0.19 Available!  (Read 54383 times)

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
Giving Rydia more HP from the start and than decreasing it for the next few levels would be a good idea for that. That is a good observation you've made on the amount of HP she needs to survive. I might give her 60 or so and let her go from there.

There should be a graphic when the Break Skills succeed, but it won't work against enemies that have less than a certain percentage of stats (to prevent overflow) or bosses.

To be honest I'm not 100% sure I like the way the skills turned out. Early game they are, unfortunately, nigh useless as far as I can make out. They do later become more useful but I'm wondering if my "non-canon" set of Break Skills would have been better. They do some damage when they hit as well though.

My non-canon set of skills were things like Claw Break (sets their inflict Status Byte to 00), Elemental Break (set their resistance to 00) and Fate Break (random status to inflict in Status Byte 1, (1-40))

As of now the Break Skills take a stat and decrease it by 1/4.

Power - Attack Power
Armor - Defense
Speed - ...Speed
Seal - Magic Defense
Mind - Spell Power

I hope that clear it up a little. a lot of early game enemies don't have high defense so Armor Break likely is not doing much of anything.

November 23, 2014, 06:15:13 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Thank you very much Chillyfeez for the Left-Handed weapon fix, I just tested it out and it works Wonderfully! I was unaware of free space in that area.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 06:15:13 pm by Grimoire LD »

chillyfeez

• View Profile
You're welcome!

Wow, man. This game is hard.
It's weird, because I'm so used to it being so much easier. Octomamm took me three or four tries. Had to go back to Kaipo to load up on potions.
It's good, though. I keep thinking this is no good, it's too hard, but then I get past whatever part is giving me fits and I realize it's not too hard - it's just hard.

Anyway, long story short, so far so good.
Ongoing project: "Final Fantasy IV: A Threat From Within"

Latest Demo

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
Yes, I tried to strike a distinct balance where the player will have the feeling of real accomplishment when they conquer the next big foe, that all of the grinding paid off in more than just Exp, but some rare and useful items as well. The real difficulty of OctoMamm is its Magic Defense. Even in the normal game it is unusually high and with Magic Evasion actually factored in it's a little difficult to get a hit in, but this is where the Staff can come into a decent amount of play as OctoMamm is weak to Holy the use of either a weapon activated HolyBeam (since weapons used from fight ignore Magic Evasion as I recall) or a lucky hit with an Item Use HolyBeam can start to whittle it down.

That said you'll likely find the Antlion silly easy, I couldn't think of anything too creative with that fellow so all that is different with him are a status infliction, upgraded stats all around,  I might revisit that fight down the line.

chillyfeez

• View Profile
Oh, I'd say the big challenge with Octomamm was the paralyzing effect of his hits. Heck, for most of the battle, Rydia and Tellah's job was potions... When they could move at all.
When they did have the chance to attack, I found myself using those bomb parts I had stolen so much of in the waterway... I didn't know he was weak vs. Holy. Guess I should pay more attention to elemental affinities.

Oh, also: the idea to have Dark Omen be the imbued power of the Shadow Sword is questionable. Considering Cecil can use the ability any time he wants, and the attack power is the same as the thief knife, there really is no reason to ever equip the Shadow Sword, except for the one-time novelty of seeing Tellah use Dark Omen. I avoided it, in order to avoid unintentional zombie status (which undermined one of my Octomamm fights).
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 06:15:27 am by chillyfeez »

Latest Demo

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
The Shadow Sword has +3 Vitality which could be newly crucial at certain stages as Defense Multipliers are no longer tied to Shield Bearers(Only) /Level 16 but instead are tied now to Vitality /16.

Ah yes OctoMamm has a paralyzing effect, and that is a bit tricky to deal with but Blink is Very useful in this fight and is probably best to save a fair amount of MP for that.

chillyfeez

• View Profile
Yeah... I don't think I even noticed Tellah had Blink. Again, though, my fault, and a byproduct of my not being used to the challenge.

I still don't know if the Shadow sword is worth the trouble if it makes the character unhealable. I'd use it for sure if it had no special ability at all.

Latest Demo

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
Well only if Dark Omen activates is the character unhealable, not to mention it is Dark elemental which alone has its strengths. For instance, say Tellah has 13 Vitality, you can give it to Tellah to give him a possibly crucial Defense multiplier. Not to mention this weapon is the only weapon for a Long time that will apply the Curse status, you may not see the benefit of it at the moment, but you may come across ways to get by Zombification which can help you (Tellah also came with Regen which will heal a unit regardless if Zombified or not) and may make using the Shadow Sword more worthwhile.

chillyfeez

• View Profile
It's a relatively minor detail. It's certainly not going to change my overall opinion of the hack, but given the context in the game in which the weapon is acquired, I would most likely not ever use it.
But hey, if you like the Shadow Sword, that's cool. I've got other options if I don't want to use it.

Latest Demo

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
It's a relatively minor detail. It's certainly not going to change my overall opinion of the hack, but given the context in the game in which the weapon is acquired, I would most likely not ever use it.
But hey, if you like the Shadow Sword, that's cool. I've got other options if I don't want to use it.

Very true, it is fairly minor. I believe its use is more "long term" than anything immediately apparent. It's an immediate option for those who didn't get Thief Knives (or the other two weapons that Dark Knight Cecil can equip at this point either) though, with all of the downfalls that come with excessive use of it.

chillyfeez

• View Profile
I'm digging the bardsong ability so far.
Question... I know you developed an improved Item Lore ability. Did that not make the cut, or does somebody besides Edward use it?
He seems a bit light on skills, but then again he's also probably the shortest-used playable character, so I think I support your decision there.

Latest Demo

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
I'm digging the bardsong ability so far.
Question... I know you developed an improved Item Lore ability. Did that not make the cut, or does somebody besides Edward use it?
He seems a bit light on skills, but then again he's also probably the shortest-used playable character, so I think I support your decision there.

Indeed, characters that don't have long staying power (Edward, Twins, and FuSoYa) have lost their unique abilities (How will the world live without Cry?!) and other central characters now have them.

I should mention that Cid is newly "central" with an item you get very late at the start of the Giant of Babil which can switch Edge out for Cid and vice-versa. In this case Cid got Salve, now known as ItemLord and because of this he has a lot of versatile use when you get him. When you do get to that point perhaps you can help me with a couple of modifications to ItemLord as it's working well, just not 100% to my original design or liking.

If you were referring to classic Chemistry in FF (x2 healing from Potions), there is a special accessory which can drop from various enemies throughout the game which will give the one equipped with it x2 healing from Potions and there is a special Hat that you need to make use of your new abilities to attain (you might recall what I'm referring to) which will give Battle Items x2 Damage.

Bardsong is rather wonderful, it can make any battle go from unwinnable to a rallying hope, if you can survive long enough to continue getting the boosts.

How has your item space been so far? Is the Whistles being 10 Gil from shops helping out at all?

chillyfeez

• View Profile
Oh, yes, I forgot to mention the whistles. I've been using them quite a bit, and it's a good, simple fix for a rather obnoxious problem with the original game.

As I recall, Item Lord splits any item instead of single targeting, but the catch is it automatically works on the first item, which means it fails if the first item can't be used, right?

I think I got the potion x2 accessory and Rydia has it equipped right now. I meant to try it out but I don't think I've needed to yet (I've been grinding outside Damcyan for Edward, where the toughest monsters are sand worms, and damage is healed for free in the castle).

I think you're referring to a poach ability, right? Yes, I talk a lot, but I was paying attention! I'm kind of excited for that one - I loved poaching in FFT (but oddly was never into the Ragnarok esper in FFVI).

Latest Demo

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
Oh, yes, I forgot to mention the whistles. I've been using them quite a bit, and it's a good, simple fix for a rather obnoxious problem with the original game.

As I recall, Item Lord splits any item instead of single targeting, but the catch is it automatically works on the first item, which means it fails if the first item can't be used, right?

I think I got the potion x2 accessory and Rydia has it equipped right now. I meant to try it out but I don't think I've needed to yet (I've been grinding outside Damcyan for Edward, where the toughest monsters are sand worms, and damage is healed for free in the castle).

I think you're referring to a poach ability, right? Yes, I talk a lot, but I was paying attention! I'm kind of excited for that one - I loved poaching in FFT (but oddly was never into the Ragnarok esper in FFVI).

I'm glad to hear the Whistles are working out, since status recovery is So important in this mod (since there is no Esuna/Heal) I didn't want to have people's very limited inventory filled with status recovery items.

You are correct about Item Lord, but somewhere along the lines some odd things happened...

Well No. 1 isn't that odd. It's how its programmed. Part of the idea behind Item Lord was to take a multi-hit Item as well and turn it into a Single Target, so a concentrated Bomb Arm to deal massive damage to a single enemy, for instance. Unfortunately that's not the way the game has that working. It can Single Target, but it will still only do damage as if it had been split, which makes that particular functionality worthless in many cases.

No. 2 is somewhere along the way it lost the ability to Revive en masse, which was supposed to be one of its highest appeals. Now it acts... well like those old pictures you showed of trying to revive multiple characters.

Ah, good work. Yes the "Chemist Ring" is the item. I should note that the Memento protects against Instant Death and can only be equipped by Rydia. It also gives 3 Strength which has its uses down the line (depending on how you build her)

Well the entire setup is based on "Poach" but I always found that to be an odd name. It's not as if those ravenous monsters were in a preserve or anything, so it was changed to Hunt.

Ragnarok was a bit... eh... Too late in the game, and not that much interesting that could be morphed and your morph chances were fairly abysmal in the first place. Very neat idea, not a great application.

chillyfeez

• View Profile
Little thing(s):
The Exit and Siren items have "D" as their item description.

Latest Demo

vivify93

• White Wizard
    • View Profile
Project II's descriptions of these items are:
ExitDoor - "Leave dungeons fast"
Siren - "Alerts rare enemies"

If it helps!
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
Indeed, I never actually changed their description yet, mainly because I'm not sure whether the Emergency Exit will be staying in the game.

chillyfeez

• View Profile
Another very minor thing... I think that either the Tonic (item) cures too many HP, or Cure1 (spell) is too weak.
By the time I get Rosa (first character with Cure1), I already have a billion Tonics, which are far more potent than her only cure spell. I mean, it's fine, she has some fun other abilities to play with, but it renders Cure1 another element of the game I'll never use because of its context.

Latest Demo

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
...Yeah, it is probably too weak. I can change that. Especially when you compare it to the Dreamer Harp and how powerful that can get. I might want to raise the MP cost to compensate its new power then.

chillyfeez

• View Profile
Regarding the Dreamer Harp... Why is it that, when it casts vitalize in conjunction with its attack, sometimes the result is massive (>1000 at level 15 or so) damage? I can see this happening against undead foes, but in fact it happens against water hags, turtles... Very unexpected enemies...

Also, I think I found a legitimate bug. Problem is I'm not 100% sure of its cause. I had just gotten out of Mt Hobbs and was walking to Fabul (luckily I had just saved) I got into a battle that was taking a while because there were six monsters. All of a sudden, mid battle, my characters started doing their "get hit" animations, but not taking damage. And furthermore, nobody was hitting them. After this happened (at least) once with every character, the game just froze. I reset and tried again. It happened again. I THINK the cause is Rydia's Calm Wind Geomancy skill, because that was a skill I used both times, and it didn't happen when I used geomancy in caves or forest (which I did quite a bit because ColdMist and Air Blade kick ass). Also, when I stopped using Geomancy, the glitching didn't occur anymore.

I do like the animation for Calm Wind, by the way. Is that from a normally existing spell, or did you find an unused animation somehow?

Ah! Continuity check: After Golbez and Kain take Rosa and the Crystal in Fabul, Rydia "heals the party with a Cure Spell," despite the fact that she can't use White magic in this version of the game...
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 03:03:40 am by chillyfeez »

Latest Demo

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
Vitalize can be a very powerful weapon for the patient. when it is used in its normal attack it can deal 1/10 of any enemy's HP. Which can be very useful for boss fights. It comes from the odd side effect of when a healing magic is used from an attack never setting the "cure" flag for some reason.

CalmWind is still broken? I had thought I fixed that, let me look...

Hmm, I wonder if it might be because it is set to Damage, status to living creatures formula rather than Damage, immobilizing status? I would suggest you go into FF4kster and change that (it's right underneath W. Meteo) and change it to Damage, immobilizing status (Mage's Formula basically) and go ahead and max out the Hit Rate and see if any other oddity shows up, but... modern FF4kster (basically anything after the 3/5/2014 version) will break several of my hack's commands (it is the irony that I provided the information that would end up making the tool more or less useless for me, eh heh...)

I'm glad to see Geomancy getting some use! Yes, Rydia is a rather powerful character despite losing White Magic she's still rather useful, any luck with getting any of the Whips yet? (Hint: Child Rydia can get two of the Whips)

Despite how broken CalmWind may be at the moment I have always been proud of CalmWind's animation.

It uses Flood's sound, Palette 018, Magnet's Sequence (that may not actually do anything) but what it really is, is Shiva's Ice Storm, recolored through the palette.

Wow, you're already through the Fabul Battle? Whenever I tested my game I had to be very careful at that portion and sometimes ended up losing multiple times before I made it through. Any comments or complaints about the sequence?

I guess you're heading onto the end of the Dark Knight's portion. Here is where the difficulty really picks up. You will want to talk to people in Mysidia to get a glimpse of what you may have to do in Mt. Ordeals, also the "puzzle" at the top may be a bit vague so please let me know.

Continuity... hmm... any suggestions? Rydia has no healing abilities any longer so she can't heal them with her magic and there's no guarantee that the player picked up the Dreamer Harp for Vitalize or I would have Edward heal the party.