News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Final Fantasy IV: Combat Boost! (A Final Fantasy IV Hack) (88%) v0.19 Available!  (Read 54382 times)

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
Thank you very much Chillyfeez! I'm not sure what I was doing wrong, but your patch worked without flaws!

I have not included the newest User Options yet, I planned on doing so today though, when I do include them should I be aware of any oddities that might appear if i'm patching with the process you mentioned?

Also Chillyfeez, is it just me, or the '???' in Spells and Item tabs which is related to magic damage... do you find that to always switch back to its original state whenever you escape that tab?

Tomato

• View Profile
    • Legends of Localization
I'm having the same problem - when I go to apply the newest patch with Lunar IPS I get "this is not a valid IPS file".

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
Right... probably because it's a .ppf that I made before remembering that I had Lunar .IPS set up beforehand, yet out of habit I still called the file extension '.ips' eh heh... I'll rerelease it then.

This newest release includes descriptions for all Attack Items and a more exact description for the Siren, unfortunately due to space constraints I had to get rid of other description space as well as including more tutorial from Kain at the start of the game in regards to Sprint and ATB, but not the User Options patch yet...

When I try to apply User Options to the game, even though the ROM is now headered and everything, it crashes the emulator outright when loaded. I'm not sure what the issue is there.

I may have noticed an issue with increased power of the Level 1 spells... but we'll see, I wonder if it makes certain early foes too powerful?

In any case here is version 0.05 then.

Final Fantasy IV-Combat Boost! v0.05

December 06, 2014, 03:56:06 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
So there are currently two dragons in the Overworld at the moment and they are fairly tricky foes. One is meant to be an introduction to Kain's way of obtaining magic so he's not that difficult to deal with, but the second one will involve a great amount of strategy.

Long ago I tallied up the amount of dragons in the game, there are 13 Dragons that can teach spells (two are bosses though so actually only 11) but the vast majority are in the Lunar Subterrane.

As for the five main dragons that teach Kain unique spells, I wanted to distribute them evenly. Two in the Overworld, Two in the Underworld and One on the Moon. I accomplished this. I was thinking of making 2 more Dragons in the Overworld section of the game at the 1% and 4% Encounter Rate (which means you should probably be saving up Sirens whenever you get one) as the way the game has the dragons distributed by default...

Green Dragon - 3-Step Penninsula in Underworld, Tower of Babil Revisited (nearly all rooms through being summoned)
Mech Dragon - (Moved in Combat Boost as a rare encounter near Baron) Giant of Babil (meaning if you miss it, you can never find it again in the normal game)
Silver Dragon/Gold Dragon/Blue Dragon/Red Dragon - All in the Lunar Subterrane.
Yellow Dragon - 3-Step Penninsula, Chest in Tower of Babil
Clapper - Land of Summoned Monsters

So as you can see by default the game has the dragons all bunched together basically which is not a good way to balance Kain obtaining spells.

I was thinking of adding two dragons as rare encounters in each of the Overworld, Underworld, and Moon sections...

The Overworld has two dragons on it currently but I could place the Green and Yellow Dragon in an actual area somewhere with hints in dialogue to their locations. (Say Mt. Hobbs could have a dragon as a rare encounter) That would be 4 dragons for the Overworld.

The Underworld has one dragon on it and one inside a dungeon, I like the idea of the Clapper on the way to the Land of Summoned Monsters. I think the ideal solution in this case would be to place another in the Underworld and another in a dungeon. That would be 4 dragons for the Underworld.

Finally the Moon can have its initial supply of dragons which would also offer opportunity to get some spells that may have been missed before.

I'm writing this because I just got finished trying to see if it was possible to subdue the strongest dragon on the overworld, and it is.

Maybe I should even put one in the Mist Cave which might realistically be able to be tackled by Cecil and Kain at a low level? Or should this be purely an extra activity that should require a full party?

« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 03:56:07 pm by Grimoire LD »

Tomato

• View Profile
Quick question - did you happen to move the table that determines how much experience you get from each enemy? I'm working on my on-stream enemy analyzer thing and noticed that Desert Hags have 100 exp each, and FF4kster confirms this, but when I finish a battle it's clear that they give much less experience. I can pull the proper experience from other versions of the game (FFIV, FFII SNES), but for this hack it seems like I'm pulling garbage data

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
Ah haha, seems you forgot about Split Exp? Every character you have alive at the end of battle splits Exp.

This has been a constant in FF since 1, surprisingly and always makes soloing interesting because there is a high risk, high reward game at play. So if you have a full party alive you are going to want to have the exp gain divided by 5 and so on and so forth. So don't worry your setup is fine.

Tomato

• View Profile
Oh crap you're totally right. I'm a big dummy!

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
Hmm, I've spent the last hour or so trying to think of a way to have the player revisit the Tower of Zot without breaking the flow of the game... unfortunately it uses up too many event conditionals to make this work. Here was the plan...

In the B1 Sewer of Baron Castle there was a second door that when opened would prompt you to use the Zot Key (so you couldn't get in earlier) and you would get the Zot Key along with the Magma Key from Kain. The place has a couple of unique enemies and I was even thinking of putting one of the Overworld dragons in there but... while I could use the "Let's Sleep in the King's Bed!" trigger for this and I could easily set up the warp so that it would warp you back to Baron, I couldn't figure out how to shut the door leading to the Command Center since there is no event flags which get rid of Kain and Golbez in that specific event. I guess it's not that big of a deal, I can scatter the enemies in other areas I suppose and there are plenty of places to put another Overworld Dragon.

I can probably put these spare events and conditionals to better use elsewhere, it may be for the best.

chillyfeez

• View Profile
Can't you just add instructions to deactivate Golbez and Kain to the Top of Zot events? Or somewhere else, anywhere before the return to Zot becomes accessible?

Re: the dragons - I like the idea of having one in the mist cave, sort of to allow the player early on to learn that this is a thing that is possible, but you may then cause that player to kill themselves over and over trying to dragon speech D. Mist. Also, are any of the dragon skills uncool enough to give to Kain that early on?

I have not included the newest User Options yet, I planned on doing so today though, when I do include them should I be aware of any oddities that might appear if i'm patching with the process you mentioned?
Sorry it took so long to get back to you. Basically, unless you remake your patch after adding the new User Options, your battle correcting patch may disable the ATB meter, because I think it uses some code in the 1/8000 (3/8000) block.

Also Chillyfeez, is it just me, or the '???' in Spells and Item tabs which is related to magic damage... do you find that to always switch back to its original state whenever you escape that tab?
I, uh... I'm not sure I undersdtand the question.
Ongoing project: "Final Fantasy IV: A Threat From Within"

Latest Demo

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
Can't you just add instructions to deactivate Golbez and Kain to the Top of Zot events? Or somewhere else, anywhere before the return to Zot becomes accessible?

I suppose I could do that, but I'm wondering if its worth the trouble. The only real reason to do that would be if it was where I placed the sidequest dungeon. I could go about the steps, but then I'm worrying that I would miss that crucial event call trigger space or NPC space. I think those purposes would better be served in a new dungeon rather than a revisit to Tower of Zot or the Tower of Babil.

Re: the dragons - I like the idea of having one in the mist cave, sort of to allow the player early on to learn that this is a thing that is possible, but you may then cause that player to kill themselves over and over trying to dragon speech D. Mist. Also, are any of the dragon skills uncool enough to give to Kain that early on?
Sorry it took so long to get back to you. Basically, unless you remake your patch after adding the new User Options, your battle correcting patch may disable the ATB meter, because I think it uses some code in the 1/8000 (3/8000) block.
I, uh... I'm not sure I undersdtand the question.

I was considering a full fledged tutorial to go with the first "Go back..." trigger in the Mist Cave where you would run into an Egg that when struck would reveal itself to be a dragon and Kain would say something like: "Show restraint Cecil!" He uses a Bestiary item (more like the Dragon's AI running a Scan on itself)  "Once we have weakened it, let me speak with it." Then if you successfully get it, you would get a normal White spell (all of the dragons outside of the five special designated ones give normal White Magic). probably Blink or Regen. But... then if you kill it you wouldn't get another chance to get that so... I'm wondering if I should just make it a rare encounter and go from there, but yes... the Mist Dragon, I suppose I could say somehow that "This is not a Dragon!" but I'm basically out of battle speech space at this point (a much later Zeromus battle speech plan has taken up the vast majority of it)

Hmm, the method to apply the newest User Options seems a bit complicated, I would be fine if it just disabled the meter, I could work around that, what I can't work around is the immediate system crash at start up.

Oh, on that '???' matter, PinkPuff included the ability to (ostensibly) edit a previously unknown bitflag in magic and items but when you make a change to it, (Yes/No) it reverts back to its default state when you leave that part of the menu. This is a little bit annoying because that flag is actually what makes some moves deal bizarre damage as you can see it is placed where a spell wasn't originally set to be a damaging move (also Cure spells).

chillyfeez

• View Profile
Oh, I see. I've had problems with FF4kster not correctly adjusting single-bit data, but not specifically that one. Initial visibility of NPCs is the one it keeps getting wrong for me. My theory is it might be calculating wrong and actually changing an entirely different bit...

Does the new User Options cause CB to crash at startup? That's a problem...

December 07, 2014, 03:40:14 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Slick is back up, BTW. Yay!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 03:40:14 pm by chillyfeez »

Latest Demo

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
Yeah, it kills it at Start up and I... oh... oh you're kidding me!

Alright, so I have maybe 20-30 backup files of Combat Boost and some with very similar names to Combat Boost, the one I opened up in Hex to check the header was the wrong rom.

Yeah... it works fine when you Use Your Brain! Instead of sleepily just opening up the hex editor and clicking on a similar rom, haha!

Looks like everything works great from my end, Chillyfeez! New User Options have been successfully implemented into FFIV-Combat Boost!

Indeed! Slick is back! But this may not have been such a bad thing, after all we may have encouraged others to look into FFIV hacking?

December 08, 2014, 01:37:08 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Alright! After setting up two new dragons for the Overworld, I think they're ready to go.

The first can be encountered and defeated with just the party of Cecil and Kain in Misty Cave (Hint: It's not the Mist Dragon). Though like the rest of the hack this isn't an easy task. It is necessary you use what tools are available to you this early on if you want to stand a chance at victory. As you can go back anytime you like later and grab this it's worth little more than bragging rights at the start, besides Kain won't be able to use the spell until Level 14. No grinding necessary either, I subdued  this enemy with two fresh level 10 Cecil and Kain.

The second can be encountered at Mt Hobbs and if you do encounter it, RUN!! This enemy is set to a slightly lesser degree of difficulty than the MecDrake, but it Will kill the unprepared and it will make mince meat of your measly Level 15-25 Party that you would first ascend Mt Hobbs with.

All of these enemies are rare spawns and there is only a 7% chance of running into them in these certain areas. But you can guarantee a fight with them by using a Siren.

In addition many areas (that don't have deadly dragons) now have rare encounters, nothing too special though, mainly it's just a formation from the next story area (e.g. In the Waterway Cave you might run into a battle with Antlion Cave enemies rarely), if you feel you're outmatched you can freely run from them, but generally they offer a chance at different rewards than can be obtained currently.

This update also includes Chillyfeez's User Options and as such Kain now has some new expository text in the Castle about this.

The Next large update planned is a challenge dungeon by Chillyfeez's request, but I might need his help in placing it, though I know exactly what I want now.

After that I can proceed in earnest with the normal storyline progression.

Also, shock to me, I made a ReadMe (which I apparently made all the way back in August!). The ReadMe may need some fleshing out though, (ironically Chillyfeez the hint for the Dark Knight battle is in the ReadMe, haha!) so I'll release that in a short while, as of now the updated patch is ready to go, at least as far as I'm aware.

Final Fantasy IV-Combat Boost!v.0.06

EDIT: Here is the Readme, it should expand greatly upon what is in the Training Hall as well as include lesser known information about the mod that might help people out.

Final Fantasy IV-Combat Boost! Readme

December 09, 2014, 06:53:36 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)

Alright, the problems with 0.05-.06 have been fixed and this release is 0.07 it is generally the previous patches except playable! (How did I miss those broken maps!?)

Now onto 0.08 to fix another oversight on my part and this patch also increases the damage of Cid's Hammers so he can better fight alongside the other melee members.

Final Fantasy IV Combat Boostv0.08

« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 09:25:45 pm by Grimoire LD »

chillyfeez

• View Profile
So I'm grinding up for the Eblan treasure chest battles by fighting outside Toroia, and I won a "Carved" Sword. So my question is: What does (boomerang)Taunt do?

Latest Demo

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
So I'm grinding up for the Eblan treasure chest battles by fighting outside Toroia, and I won a "Carved" Sword. So my question is: What does (boomerang)Taunt do?

Ah, that's a rare item and Taunt is a new Ninja skill that Edge can eventually learn. Taunt draws that particular foe's next attack towards the Taunter. A reverse (literally in terms of data) of the enemy's Target spell.

What happens when you go to fight the Eblan Treasure Chest? I have a distinct way I go about it, but I'm curious to see the approaches you may have tried.

chillyfeez

• View Profile
Well there are two Eblan treasure battles. The mad ogres, I just wasn't powerful enough. I think I managed to kill one before I got pummeled to death (and they are basically magic-proof).
The other battle... Forget it. "Not strong enough" doesn't accurately describe the situation. The couerl (or whatever - clearly that's what I call all FF cat-monsters)'s Blaster attack was obviously the thing that needs to be neutralized in order for me to survive, but nothing seems to stop it, and I can't kill it before it kills me. And the fact that there are two other monsters there doesn't help. So, after I level up a bit, I'll fill you in on the strategies I try.
BTW - I'm not frustrated about this like I was about the serpent road, because these battles are optional, and they were always above the level I reasonably expect to be when I first get to this point in the game. So it's good that they're even harder now.

That's what I thought Taunt must do, a la Auron's technique in FFX. I'm not sure it's useful for Edge, though, unless you've plans to increase his defense capability (or give him great long-range weaponry).

Latest Demo

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
Well there are two Eblan treasure battles. The mad ogres, I just wasn't powerful enough. I think I managed to kill one before I got pummeled to death (and they are basically magic-proof).
The other battle... Forget it. "Not strong enough" doesn't accurately describe the situation. The couerl (or whatever - clearly that's what I call all FF cat-monsters)'s Blaster attack was obviously the thing that needs to be neutralized in order for me to survive, but nothing seems to stop it, and I can't kill it before it kills me. And the fact that there are two other monsters there doesn't help. So, after I level up a bit, I'll fill you in on the strategies I try.
BTW - I'm not frustrated about this like I was about the serpent road, because these battles are optional, and they were always above the level I reasonably expect to be when I first get to this point in the game. So it's good that they're even harder now.

That's what I thought Taunt must do, a la Auron's technique in FFX. I'm not sure it's useful for Edge, though, unless you've plans to increase his defense capability (or give him great long-range weaponry).

Ah, hmm as I recall there are certain status ailments you can take advantage of. A lot of times it comes down to experimenting until you find the right "answer". Once you find those you should have am much easier time... in some cases. There's a treasure encounter there you haven't gotten into yet (I suppose) which can be considered extraordinarily difficult.

Taunt is supposed to be paired with Image so you give yourself a bit of breathing room if you can train the foe on Edge who is under Blink. Using Taunt without a strategy will end poorly, yeah. But you got the rare Carved Sword! (Keep the "Carved" name in mind, it might help you in a place you may not expect it to. Also keep in mind the enemy type you received it from.) so you can give any sword wielder Taunt. As I recall it works as a used item (I could be wrong though).

chillyfeez

• View Profile
Speaking of image...
Do you recall seeing in your research any indication of how the game determines the length of time Image/Blink/Decoy will last? I never used them much in regular FFIIUS, but they are wicked useful in Combat Boost, and when I had Tellah and Porom, I saw a great deal of (what seemed like) inconsistency with how long the effects would last.

Latest Demo

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
Speaking of image...
Do you recall seeing in your research any indication of how the game determines the length of time Image/Blink/Decoy will last? I never used them much in regular FFIIUS, but they are wicked useful in Combat Boost, and when I had Tellah and Porom, I saw a great deal of (what seemed like) inconsistency with how long the effects would last.

I think there's a misunderstanding here; it's not based on times, but strikes.

You'll notice that when the first "miss" happens the second image fades and then there's only one. You have two strikes of physical invincibility when you use Blink. Here is the disassembly research from the Fight command.

$03/C593   AD 06 27   LDA $2706  [$7E:2706]   A:0000   X:0900   Y:0000   P:envMxdiZc - Load Target's Status Anomalies (Byte 4) into A from Data Copy.
$03/C596   29 0C   AND #$0C   A:0000   X:0900   Y:0000   P:envMxdiZc - Does it have Image 1 or 2?
$03/C598   F0 15   BEQ $15    [$C5AF]   A:0000   X:0900   Y:0000   P:envMxdiZc - If not Branch to 03C5AF.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
$03/C59A   4A    LSR A   A:000C   X:0000   Y:0000   P:envMxdizc - Divide the value in A by 2.
$03/C59B   29 04   AND #$04   A:0006   X:0000   Y:0000   P:envMxdizc - Load 04 into A?
$03/C59D   85 A9   STA $A9    [$00:00A9]   A:0004   X:0000   Y:0000   P:envMxdizc - Store A in A9
$03/C59F   A6 A6   LDX $A6    [$00:00A6]   A:0004   X:0000   Y:0000   P:envMxdizc - Load X from A6.
$03/C5A1   BD 06 20   LDA $2006,x[$7E:2006]   A:0004   X:0000   Y:0000   P:envMxdiZc - Load A into Character/Monster Status Byte 3 (thereby decrementing Image)
[/quote[

chillyfeez

• View Profile
Huh... Wow, good to know.

Latest Demo

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
I have a bit of a preview of a brand new area, inspired by Chillyfeez's suggestion to make a sidequest area "Challenge Dungeon" for when the Airship can first be accessed, there is now a hidden place somewhere on the world map that if found will give the player access to the Everwhite (Everwhite on the map only, in battle and world map it is still green, bah) Woods, likely inspired by the season of the year, but also this type of area is missing from default FFIV. There are no forest dungeons nor ice dungeons. So I thought to kill two birds with one stone. With three new foes and a powerful boss based on Russian Folklore who grants a unique gift and along with the more powerful enemies of the Tower of Zot this area will be a test of your will. (And the Fire Element)

Also, before anyone mentions the palette I should note that FFIV has no palette changer and I only chose the most decent one as far as the game has by default. The first white palette I found displayed many other objects in a bizarre color, thankfully the second one I found looked whiter and showed a decent palette for other tiles.

Gedankenschild

• View Profile
An interesting idea... I took a look at a spritesheet of The After Years' enemies and there's A LOT of new palette swaps with a bluish color scheme. Those seem very fitting to an area like that.