News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Final Fantasy IV: Combat Boost! (A Final Fantasy IV Hack) (88%) v0.19 Available!  (Read 44790 times)

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
12/5/2014 -Demo Released, covering up to just before the Underworld. Now with various bug and oversight fixes.

Final Fantasy IV: Combat Boost! v0.19

WARNING: Must Be An Unheadered Rom!

NOTE: All pictures come from earlier test builds and will be updated when that point in testing is pertinent

To those who pay attention to the Rom Hacking Discussion area of the forum will know that I've been releasing patches that are meant to be part of a grand project... well that project is FFIV:Combat Boost! This patch aims to increase the challenge, but also give the player more options as well. All too often a hardtype hack will not do much to level the playing field, but instead just makes the foes or obstacles more difficult to bypass and there is little feeling of reward or achievement, this is especially true in RPG's.

So while I flirted with the idea of making a straight FFIV hardtype I got to thinking that it is a relatively boring idea that has already been done before to pretty good effect so why fix what isn't broken? To those who like the base game hardtype can play that to their heart's desire. What my hack aims to do is give the player more decisions to what to use in battle.

For instance in the normal game, it's pretty much a given that A: Whips are useless, B: Strongest Armor is normally the best to equip. C: Most Commands are Worthless.

My hack takes cues from later and earlier Final Fantasy games to give a unique experience to FFIV's combat system, hence the aforementioned "Combat Boost!" name.

It also uses Vivify93's incredible Project II as a base so all of the text will be using his terminology (which is Great by the way)

A Modified Basic Battle System! - Now certain weapons will randomly use a spell when you attack or may even use a Command!

11 New Commands from Scratch - Including several significant changes to normal battle like Dragon Speech, which enables Kain to learn spells from Wounded Dragons and Hunt which allows Rosa to Hunt wounded Beasts and gain unique items and opens up its own little sidequest (nothing too massive, but one large noticeable change in Troia), and Rydia loses White Magic, but does gain Geomancy, which works as you'd expect it to in an FF game.

The New Commands are as follows...

Dragon Speech - Dragoon Kain speaks to critically wounded dragons to learn wisdom from them, and in thanks let's them go.

Bardsong - Taking a cue from FFIII NES and DS - Bardsong uses a Song dependent on the Harp you have equipped and in addition raises the attack of party members, used by Edward and Paladin Cecil.

Advance - Cid increases his attack in proportion to his Strength stat, but loses defense in the same proportion.

(Picture Eventually)

ItemLord - Looks at the first usable item in your inventory and splits it or makes it a single target attack. A Command for Cid.

Caption: A Couerl Whisker is Split to hit all Foes.

Hunt - Inspired by FFT's Poach System, Rosa will automatically slay critically wounded Beasts (a new enemy type replacing, but including, Reptiles) by using this command, which dependent on the enemy's level can yield up to 24 different items.

Caption: Rosa slays a Basilisk with Hunt and earns an Item in doing so.

Arrow Barrage - Inspired by FFIII, Rosa will use two arrows to attack Twice. Dependent on her Strength she can shoot more.

Caption: Rosa Prepares to Fire.

Elemental Weapon - Tellah draws in the elemental power around him, endowing his weapon with random elements. (Note: Tellah can equip Swords in this hack and is more akin to a Red Mage in his equipment set-up)

Coat Weapon - Looking at the First Inventory Slot, Cid uses his knowledge of Chemistry to reverse the healing powers of herbs and solutions and applies this to his weapon (example: Antidote - Poison Weapon).

(Picture Eventually)

Geomancy - Rydia can call up the powers of the Earth to assist her (with a chance of failure) and dependent on the background of the battle the effect will differ.

Item Seek - A Weapon Only Command. When this Command activates on the enemy it hits, the enemy's drop percentage will jump from 5% to 25%.

(Picture Eventually)

Katana Soul - Inspired by FFT, Edge can call forth the latent powers hidden within his Katanas to use various effects on his friends and foes, there is a chance of the weapon breaking on use.

Caption: Only Katanas may be used in this command.

The power of this Katana is a Full Party Psych!

And every command that hasn't been radically changed has a new effect (except for Jump and Cover) and every school of magic has a couple of new spells, with an entirely new school in the Break Skills, inspired from FFT and several Dragoon skills, unique skill that Kain will learn from the Five Dragons should he use Dragon Speech at the right time.

Dark Wave is now Dark Omen - A Spell is cast dependent on Wisdom that Curses all foes and damages them a fair amount but deals 1/8 of Cecil's HP and turns him into a Zombie for the remainder of battle, meaning that HP healing will hurt him. So be ever cautious with its use.

Caption: Dark Omen is effecting all foes.

Focus has lost its defense dividers, and can deal full damage to foes in the Back Row.

Kick now has a special conditional, if you are not wearing any armor while using it it will deal double the damage (as an FFI reference)

Gird works entirely differently. Gird, when used, will change Yang's Level into his Defense and with a rare Master's Headband Speed is also added onto that amount. (Another FFI reference where the Absorb of the Monk was dependent on his Level.)

Twin can target allies or enemies. If allies are the target a Healing spell will be used on the party.

Steal's chance has been increased by 10% and will steal the fourth item in the table, rather than the first, meaning that the Rare Items are 1/32 rather than a 1/64 as they were before.  In addition with the Thief Gauntlets, Steal becomes Mug and using it will give you a free attack!

Regen is now a Spell, rather than a Command, but even there it is changed. The amount of healing done is dependent on the Spirit of the Caster.

The new spells are as follows...
Break Skills - Dark Knight Cecil/Tellah/Paladin Cecil (White Spell Menu)

Seal Break - Reduces an Enemy's Magic Defense by 25%.
Power Break - Reduces an Enemy's Attack by 25%
Speed Break - Reduces an Enemy's Speed by 25%
Armor Break - Reduces an Enemy's Defense by 25%
Mind Break - Reduces an Enemy's Spell Power by 25%

White Magic

Regen - (Explained above)

Piercing Sight - Inspired by FFIV:The After Years, Piercing Sight will get rid of an Enemy's status buffs and will randomly change their weakness, and use Scan at the same time so you can know what it has changed to.

Black Magic

Aura - Inspired by FFII. Aura will, dependent on the Caster's Wisdom, give the Target ability to deal Extra Damage to Enemy's depending on their Type.
Example: Rydia has 40 Wisdom and casts Aura on Cecil. Cecil will then have x4 Damage to Zombie, Mage, Slime, Giant, and Spirit. At 10 Wisdom though, if this spell were to be used, only Zombie would have x4 Damage applied. At 60 Wisdom all enemy types have x4 Damage. (Thanks to Chillyfeez for helping with the routine)

Ninja

Taunt - Edge can taunt a single foe into attacking him.

Dragon Skills (White Spell Menu)

Reis' Wind (Or WindR) - Will restore all Allies HP by 1/3 of their Current HP.

Gale - Can deal good damage against flying enemies. Air Elemental.

Dragon Breath (Breth) - Deals damage to foes dependent on Kain's current HP.

Lancet (Lance) will do a normal attack with Kain that is Absorb Elemental, restoring 1/2 of the damage done.

Sky Rave (SkyRv) - Kain Jumps into the Air and shoots Lightning down, dealing massive damage to all foes. Holy/Air Elemental.

But wait, there's more!

By equipping a certain helmet and ring you can emulate Item Lore and Chemistry from FFIII and FFX.

By equipping the Scholar Helmet you will deal double damage with attack Items (more important in this then they ever were before due to enemy Magic Evasion being fixed... for once in an FFIV release)

By equipping the Chemist Ring all healing you do with Potions will recover x2 their amount.

Finally by equipping Odin's Armor on Paladin Cecil his Cover command will act like Dark Omen!

Normal Cover command, nothing different there.

Yet by equipping Odin's Armor...

Paladin Cecil can use Cover as if it were Dark Omen!

And this doesn't even cover the sidequest that is accessed through Hunt!

Nor does it cover the many different new weapons that one can find, or the completely revamped Item Tables.

Stay tuned for further updates! All that is realistically left on my part is maybe a couple more code routines, but the biggest part remaining will be changing enemy's stats and maybe some AI.

EDIT: 2/16/14 - Completed up through the Old Waterway, Octomamm can be a bit tricky now. He sports a new weakness, but he also has a new strength. Also in this battle, Cecil (or Tellah) may be his own worst enemy, use the Shadow Blade judiciously...

Staff now has a new spell called "HolyBeam" which deals a little less damage than the Rod's MageDart, but it has the potential of hitting twice, making it more powerful than MageDart. And true to its name it is Holy Elemental which might make taking out the Zombies (which you might want to do for their unique rare item) a bit of an easier time.

Here is where Dark Omen stops tearing through everything that moves. They have enough magic evasion or magic defense to mitigate the damage. That does mean now that the full power of Curse can be seen however...
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 12:05:21 am by Grimoire LD »

Drakon

• View Profile
    • 16 Bit Gamer
Re: Final Fantasy IV: Combat Boost! (A Final Fantasy IV Hack) 75% Complete
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 07:14:38 pm »
This looks awesome, I wonder if it's doable to write a new story line and add new quests.

Ballz

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • party time excellent
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 11:44:52 am »
That is some amazing work you've put into it. Are there plans to revise or improve the script to go along with the improved gameplay?

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 12:11:36 pm »
Thanks fellows! At your question Drakon it is Very possibly. FF4kster is an incredible tool that would give someone with enough time and motivation the ability to create an entirely new quest (a fellow FFIV hacker by the name of Chillyfeez is doing just that. He's even implemented a Limit Break system in his mod!) Unfortunately I'm a bit strapped for time and when I aim too high I end up falling halfway, so I thought this would be a good incentive to get a base product out and go on from there.

Thank you Ballz for the compliment. The script is already revised by Vivify93 though, this patch uses the fantastic ProjectII as a base, which was Vivify's attempt at bringing the game back to its FFIV (rather than FFII) roots. In it he also rewrote much of the script based on more proper translations and it works wonderfully. So thankfully that part is already done. No more, "It's a surprise." "They obviously didn't understand!" "What a surprise!"

There is one controversial change I may have made though... While testing, despite doubling enemy attack power, I noticed still while in the back row armored characters are pretty nigh immortal. As this is meant to be a balancing/difficulty hack I decided to get rid of the accuracy divisor for the back row. This means that an enemy could deal minimal damage to normal damage to those in the back-row rather than dealing always minimal to half damage with a x2 evasion. Evasion... is frankly broken in FFIV and so I added this to hopefully mitigate some of that. This does apply to players as well. They can attack back row enemies with the same conditions.

Ballz

• party time excellent
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 08:05:22 pm »
Oh, that's cool. I haven't played Project II but I like the idea behind it and it would certainly complement your project. I look forward to playing FFIV for like, the 60th time.  :)

One last question: any thoughts to reworking/expanding the menu windows and names of items and monsters? 

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 10:31:09 pm »
Unfortunately those things are a bit... beyond my knowledge base. I have some things in hacking that I excel in (lists and formula recording) while there are other things I struggle to grasp (text and graphics). Also FFIV doesn't have as much room as it should (for... anything) and finding new space for expanded names is nigh impossible.

However there is an empty space of over 2000 bytes in the Menu coding, that likely does belong to the removed menus you were referring to, that were present in the original version. Those other options are nice but... aren't 100% necessary (except ATB, if there was a way I knew how to let the player switch from Active to Wait, I would set that up) but all in all that is beyond the scope of this particular project, I'm afraid.

A bit of an update though I have tested through the Kaipo Guard battle and I think I've actually made the battle *gasp!* strategic. For the most part enemy's HP/Exp/Gil/Level all look as they do in FFIV:DS because I felt that was the closest FFIV ever got to truly balancing itself and most enemy stats are doubled or... +1/2 of what they originally were to assure that Cecil isn't just treating everything like a glancing blow. 

Drakon

• View Profile
    • 16 Bit Gamer
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2014, 08:22:11 am »
Would it be possible to expand ff4 to a larger rom?  I don't know how difficult or easy it is expanding snes games.  I've expanded gameboy roms for projects before.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2014, 11:25:17 am »
I can tell you that the Battle Menu in FFIV is a BITCH. I was trying to help someone with it before but I had so many issues trying to get everything and I couldn't even find a good chunk of what was needed to expand them.

I'm sure it's possible and could be easier written though
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2014, 09:26:45 pm »
I have no idea honestly. I've heard that there is some issue with expanding the rom, but I can't recall any specifics. I know there's a specific tool to expand FFVI, but nothing like that for FFIV. I think there might be some worth in it. FFIV has a fair amount of "dummied" maps which are maps that have an index, dta, but no actual sprite data to them. There are... 19 of those sorts of maps, three of those belonging to the old Programmer's Rooms. In the Lunar Subterrane there's also a reference to an unused map index and where this trigger would have been located...

Starting at CFCF9 there is a decent amount of unused space continuing until CFE5F. That leaves room for maybe... two decent sized maps. 166 (358) bytes left to use.

I think since it is just an index that you might be able to append more maps to the end of rom and use some of these unused indexes that the game already has.

Drakon

• View Profile
    • 16 Bit Gamer
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2014, 09:30:56 pm »
That's strange, ff6 is one of the larger snes games ff4 is one of the smaller ones.  I guess the main engine would have to be reprogrammed to support extra bankswitching?

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2014, 09:38:27 pm »
That is quite likely. In my experience from within the game, there are only four programmed banks. 00 - Map Events, 01 - Main Menu - 02 Battle Menus (possibly other things in battle as well), 03 - Battle Routines. I wouldn't know how to make the game read extra banks on my own meager knowledge.
EDIT: 2/16/14 - Completed up through the Old Waterway, Octomamm can be a bit tricky now. He sports a new weakness, but he also has a new strength. Also in this battle, Cecil (or Tellah) may be his own worst enemy, use the Shadow Blade judiciously...

Staff now has a new spell called "HolyBeam" which deals a little less damage than the Rod's MageDart, but it has the potential of hitting twice, making it more powerful than MageDart. And true to its name it is Holy Elemental which might make taking out the Zombies (which you might want to do for their unique rare item) a bit of an easier time.

Here is where Dark Omen stops tearing through everything that moves. They have enough magic evasion or magic defense to mitigate the damage. That does mean now that the full power of Curse can be seen however...
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 01:34:33 am by Grimoire LD »

Drakon

• View Profile
    • 16 Bit Gamer
Re: Final Fantasy IV: Combat Boost! (A Final Fantasy IV Hack) 78% Complete
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2014, 11:45:02 pm »
Yeah you'd probably have to change the engine to support extra space which would most likely be a fairly serious rewrite.

Mauron

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2014, 12:54:13 am »
You should be able to JSL into a new bank and RTL back.
Mauron wuz here.

STARWIN

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2014, 08:02:42 am »
reprogrammed to support extra bankswitching?

Most SNES games do not have bankswitching because PC is 24 bit instead of the 16 bit that NES had. For programming side you probably have to only take care of PB and DB registers (when necessary), and what Mauron said already takes care of PB.

I'm not so sure how to change the actual memory mapping though (just change the rom size byte in the header from 0A to 0B and pad the ROM image to double size perhaps?), and whether such changes break compatibility on real console or not (if that matters to the author). If an alternate mapping keeps all stuff in their original places (or just moves them around in a simple manner), I see no reprogramming of the game engine in such case.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 08:11:49 am by STARWIN »

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2014, 09:53:57 am »
You really shouldn't have any issues with any kind of 'mapping' with the SNES, especially Final Fantasy IV.  Pretty sure that was a decently small game so you'd have really no space constraints for whatevers needed.

The real problem would come up if all the spells were specifically made for one bank, IE: The bank is hard-set to say.. '$C2' or something.  If so, you'd have to write your own code to break off for other spells OR make it so it's NOT hard-coded for everything.  Doing that, you just need to JSL and you're able to throw anything anywhere in the ROM and you're set.

As for RAM, 7E:0000-7F:FFFF I think are the max you can have there.  It's just a matter of working with the code and moving what needs to be moved.

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2014, 06:16:21 pm »
As mentioned it should not be a difficult matter. There's several parts of the code that looks at some obscure place in ROM like 15XXXX to draw some actual routines from. However I can say that spells are initially hardcoded to bank 03. When a spell is used it goes through deciding what spell is used, draws up a list of pointers in response and adds a 03 to that to make it jump to somewhere in Bank 03. That part might not be difficult to change, but then getting it to look at a variable bank that is not set particularly may be a difficult matter.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2014, 07:28:29 pm »
The simplest way to go about that (I THINK) is to have a table on where it sets the bank.

So it gets whatever spell it is, preferably the number, transfers to X and then does an LDA,x based on a table somewhere else that picks up the bank.  That way, you can set where EACH spell is in-game.  So if you ever created NEW spells, you could just tell the table to use bank whatever and you'd have the freedom to do it.  Though, you may have to do a few other things for it to return to it's original routine correctly.

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2014, 09:20:34 pm »
That's a possibility, let me check my spell notes on that regard... Yeah, if there are multiple parts devoted to magic there shouldn't be any real issue. Since the default game only holds 52 spell formulas in the first place.

EDIT: While play-testing I found it a little difficult to justify using any of the Break Skills for a chance that they might miss and waste Cecil's turn who is ordinarily your power at the start of the game. So I changed the Break Skills to deal a decent amount of damage each attack, however, and this is a little important, it is based on Physical Attack Power but it is also a Magical Attack so the enemy would guard against it with Magical Defense and Evasion.

After relatively breezing through Mt. Hobbs I realized that the speed of the enemy was significantly lower than the speed of my party, so I more than doubled their potential speed and now they seem to stand on more even footing.

I am also glad to see the Staff's new ability of HolyBeam working out great. It does Rod-like damage on normal foes but to enemies that are very weak against Holy it does roughly 200 damage, which is nearly enough to kill a foe (or kill some outright. Great against Skeletons) and if you happened to farm a little for a FlameRod from the MiniMages you can make quick work of the Skeleton group all together.

I still have to do something with the MomBomb boss fight, but that will come in time. For now everything looks to be going quite smoothly. Hunt is working great, Dark Omen is useful, as is Blind (which replaced the Sleep spell) actually mitigating enemy attacks that might have dealt significantly more damage to the party and Edward is a staple of healing with the Dreamer Harp healing 1/10 of an Ally's HP (and raising their attack to boot) each song. I also got to test out Aura and saw that it was working perfectly as well.

All in all I am pleased with this progress. I do worry though that I will have a hard time of keeping the constant "challenging, but fair" aspects of the game moving forward and fear it will become too easy. I also need to incorporate one of the new foes in Mt. Hobbs to allow the player a drop of the Master's Headband...

I think I'm also going to increase Dark Knight Cecil's Will to a default 20, making it so he can actually use his Break Skills efficiently. Because even at 127% hit percentage the enemies can still block it, and do so relatively frequently. While this will double the chance of it hitting.

EDIT 2: Here's an update you might enjoy! I made a method to switch Edge for Cid and Cid for Edge during the Endgame! It requires no messy hubs or anything like that. You simply use an Item and you're off to the races!

Here it is in pictures...

(NOTE: The picture is taken from a test build and does not reflect the actual product. There will not be a party arrangement of Tellah and Edge, nor will there be a palette changed Baron Town)

I was rather torn on who to choose... there is always Yang, Edward, even have it be a way for Cecil to switch back and forth between Dark Knight Commands and Paladin Commands (granted I've already done that in a much more efficient manner), but I gave too many cool abilities to Cid for him to just languish like that. So here's everybody's favorite Chief Engineer who can switch freely with everyone's favorite snarky Ninja!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 06:13:03 pm by Grimoire LD »

Drakon

• View Profile
    • 16 Bit Gamer
Re: Final Fantasy IV: Combat Boost! (A Final Fantasy IV Hack) 80% Complete
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2014, 06:04:00 pm »
Looks great.  How far do you plan on taking this?  Going to work towards a new final fantasy completely or still not sure?

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy IV: Combat Boost! (A Final Fantasy IV Hack) 80% Complete
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2014, 10:22:23 pm »
Oh no, it's exactly what it says on the tin. Combat Boost. It moves a couple of treasures around, adds in several new enemies, some new events (The Daughters of Artemis" sidequest", and the Switch item for instance) changes most commands, equipment, and armor, giving some of them special effects based on new coding and makes the game more difficult by removing many of the benefits of being in the backrow, adding an entirely different element and feel to the game, and all enemies have had their stats increased and several enemies have some changes to their AI Scripts.

I'm afraid I don't have time at the moment for any Grand project like "what-if" scenarios or anything of that sort. When I aim too high I often fall halfway. So I thought to limit myself here and so far it's going great.

Also an update. I am right before Mt. Ordeals and everything looks to be working great. I may need to do something about Cecil's high defense though... I'm likely going to have several enemies that you can encounter Strike with the Dark Element and make Cecil's Dark Armor resistant to Holy (therefore by FFIV rules, Weak to Dark). This will fix the problem I have seen most recently of Cecil absorbing too much damage for my liking, but lowering the defense of armor wouldn't feel right, but I didn't want to increase enemy's attack too high or else they would one-hit-kill the leveled lighter armored character in one or two hits. That's not good game design...

EDIT: 2/21/14 - So I did end up lowering the powers of Armors because they are fairly insane as high as those defenses get. I also made it so Elemental Weakness on a weapon deals x2 damage rather than x1.5 x1.5 doesn't really show much of a difference. x2 makes a big difference though. Cecil is now a liability as you proceed up Mt. Ordeals rather than someone who can take hits. It is up to the Twins and Tellah to support him up the mountain.

I made Milon into a fairly challenging boss that could make the player pay for several careless mistakes. Tellah can equip Cecil's Dark Swords and with his Elemental Weapon ability he can exchange the Dark Element for a random assortment of elements. So you could use that as a possible strategy. Because of Tellah's more militant role, I decided to get rid of his stat decreases as he levels. This Tellah is a little more Red Mage like than an Aging Sage type. I am right before now where Cecil becomes a Paladin and progress is moving smoothly.

Without purposeful farming I had gotten a number of rather rare treasure. So far I have acquired the Thief Knife (which is the only other weapon Dark Knight Cecil can equip aside from the Dark Swords), the Item Seeker Knife, Dead Man's Clothes (served me extremely well on Mt. Ordeals), Flame Rod, Black Robe, Headband, (Since I altered all drop tables, I made a number of 1 time equipment or equipment that can eventually be bought, into acquirable battle spoils). I did not find the Scholar's Hat, the Chemist Ring, or the Master's Headband, as of yet though. This is good proof that the 1/32 drop works well as an actual acquirable item rather than the stupidly rare 1/64 drop where you're lucky to get anything useful the entire game if you're lucky enough to get a 1/64 drop in the first place.

EDIT 2/23/14 And I am back down the mountain! I changed the Dark Knight battle considerably. If you've been paying attention to the changes though, the battle shouldn't throw you too off-guard. I trained Paladin Cecil to Level 20 and along the way gained a Traveler's Knife which will be useful for a very long time, but not always the preferred weapon.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 08:52:12 pm by Grimoire LD »