News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: One Man's Misfortune is Another's Gain  (Read 34180 times)

Fredde

• View Profile
Re: Translations: One Man's Misfortune is Another's Gain
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2014, 05:00:36 am »
Yeah, I've also been waiting with anticipation for this translation for a whooole lot of time, and at this point, I guess I shouldn't be surprised by something else coming up that adds to the wait. It's part of tradtion, it seems, and I guess I can see the funny side of it. In fact, it reminds me a bit of this...

Still, I'm not sure which is more annoying, not knowing when or if the translation is finished at all, or knowing that it is finished but that I'll have to wait seven months to play it.

By the way, the release of the original book that the games are based on was in March, couldn't you use that anniversary instead...?

fireball

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2014, 06:54:41 am »
Wow, you guys are still alive? That's friggin awesome!   :beer:

cj iwakura

• The Rhythm Rogue
    • View Profile
    • iwakura.productions
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2014, 10:51:09 am »
Apologies to Gideon's efforts on the SFC version, but yeah, this is definitely worth playing. The NES music is amazing. Namcot(lol) were some wizards on that NES sound chip.

I'll play both, of course.

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2014, 11:54:37 am »
Wow wasn't expecting to see this when I checked the news! Congratulations guys... and I CAN wait to play it because the game is simply pure evil, as I discovered when I did some brief playtesting for EK a few years ago. =) I was always a big MT2 fan and the SNES remakes also, they have easily been my most anticipated fan translations to play for as long as I can remember. So its lovely to see this get checked off :D

Speaking of playtesting: Pennywise, I'm sorry I said I'd beta test your Bionic Commando project and then just bailing without following up or saying anything. My QuakeLive addiction must've got in the way as it tends to do (I often think I've quit being a competitive gamer for good only to be pulled back in by some tournament or friends and it sucks up huge chunks of my time) but it was not very mature of me to not let you know, sorry bud =/
It looks like you got the patch out in a timely manner anyway, so that's great!

Anyway.. awesome and reassuring to see EK and Pennywise still at it in 2014! =) Thanks for the shout out too, its pretty insane that even a couple people still remember this low level hacker from 1999/2000. Peace guys!

It's all good. I managed in the end.

Anyhow, I'll say I was never particularly impressed with this game. I think the mazes are confusing as hell given their limited graphical nature. And also the encounter rate is retarded. MT2 on the other hand, looked like it was a hell of a lot better than this game.

Midarian

« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2014, 01:30:07 pm »
I'm not sure SGST has a reputation to ruin anymore...

You mean that Sniggih (what up, gangsta?) and I didn't already do that years ago? :)  Awesome to see you're still at it.  Definitely looking forward to this one!

esperknight

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2014, 02:00:46 pm »
You mean that Sniggih (what up, gangsta?) and I didn't already do that years ago? :)  Awesome to see you're still at it.  Definitely looking forward to this one!

I tried to get y'all to do it so I could sit back and reap the rewards but no!  Y'all instead translated that other great game Valkyrie no Bouken ;)

Wow wasn't expecting to see this when I checked the news! Congratulations guys... and I CAN wait to play it because the game is simply pure evil, as I discovered when I did some brief playtesting for EK a few years ago. =) I was always a big MT2 fan and the SNES remakes also, they have easily been my most anticipated fan translations to play for as long as I can remember. So its lovely to see this get checked off :D

I appreciate you're testing it :D  I need to hop on IRC more as it's been a while.  Have you test more games that'll destroy your soul like this one does ;)

And now we just need TheFreak to post here as well and then all of SGST will have come back for one last time :D

Personally, I think it *is* funny.

While the "It's done now, so I want it now" response is entirely predictable and understandable... And the announcement was apparently intended to stir up memories of the old days rather than dangle a carrot... I almost feel like dangling a carrot is an old days kind of thing. Also, artificially adding more time to a project that's been ongoing for more than a decade already... That's funny in its own right.

I may be finding humor in the wrong places, but hey, free humor.
 :thumbsup:

;)

I'm trapped in a timewarp and can only post in threads pertaining to projects that were around when I actually did something rom hacking-related.

You missed your chance with Lunar Magic School (or Walking School depending on you want to call it...) for GG then as that was a joint between SGST and Ghideon.  Now you can only post in this awesome thread :)

Higgs

• View Profile
Re: Translations: One Man\'s Misfortune is Another\'s Gain
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2014, 02:02:46 pm »

Sup dawg =) Its good to see you are alive still lol, been around 12 years maybe?? O_o
And yea between our untested/incomplete Adventure of Valkyrie translation and the fact Lunar: Walking School was taking us an eternity (even though we had everything figured out with it!) only for Gideon Zhi to take over finally and actually do the work needed to get the shit released at last I think we did a real nice job of ruining any rep we may or may not have held haha! At least EK and DDS went on to be super productive members of the scene :D cheers man.

February 09, 2014, 02:06:23 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
I need to hop on IRC more as it's been a while.  Have you test more games that'll destroy your soul like this one does ;)

I literally haven't left IRC since the 90s.. the networks just change over time heh. I'm back idling in #romhacking.net since thinking about this stuff again but I'm always on Quakenet in #nxclan with my nerdy fps playing bros too if you're looking for me :D
-higgs

dan_el

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2014, 02:14:01 pm »
Hello dear all,

I am new here. First of all, thanks for your great work, there´s a lot of great games that never were released at the US. What you all are doing here is awesome.
Regarding the release date to September 11, well... I must agree with pennywise, beggars can't be choosers.  :'( There is only 8 months left, I am pretty sure we can wait until there playing another excellent games.  :thumbsup:

Just one simple petition: You are working on Megami Tense II, aren´t you? I understood that the language code is similar to the first game..  :huh:

Second petition: Directed to our friends at aeon genesis: Please do not forget: Majin Tensei 1 & 2, Shin Megami Tensei: if... and the awesome remake of Megami Tensei I & II: Kyuuyaku Megami Tensei for the SNES. Gideon: I hope you feel motivated by this announcement...   ;D

I know all of you have lives, but do not desist please...  :beer:

Thanks again  :woot!:

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2014, 02:54:27 pm »
MT2, well yes, but not actively. I'm not exactly chomping at the bit to do work on another Megaten game. Don't get me wrong, the first game wasn't exactly a nightmare for me, but it was a major hassle and pain in the ass. I can definitively say the translation is 1% complete though as I've hacked the iconic and awesome intro. I've also extracted most, if not all, of the text from the game, but several of the blocks use a somewhat complex scripting system that needs to be cleaned up. I'm also considering doing the title screen, but that's all the work that will be done in the foreseeable future. Also, I have another project with Tom that I would like to finish before working on another one with him. He will be translating of course.

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2014, 03:43:36 pm »
Don't get me wrong, the first game wasn't exactly a nightmare for me, but it was a major hassle and pain in the ass.

This and the whole "the game really isn't all that great to begin with" are big motivating factors for my migration to the SNES version. The mazes are simpler and you have automapping abilities right out of the gate. It doesn't nerf the game by any stretch; I'd argue that it's just an overall improvement. Though yeah, the NES version's music is nice.

Next Gen Cowboy

• "People are like dice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2014, 03:50:51 pm »
If you're happier doing the SNES version, then I'm happy for you. It always sucks to see someone set down something they put effort into, but I'm wishing all the best of luck with the SNES version, you deserve it.
"Remember when we were in Japan? You said you were my gun, if you're the gun then that means I'm the bullet."

"All my life I've been waiting for the gunpowder to go off, you know what you need to ignite gunpowder? You need a gun."

dan_el

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2014, 03:52:08 pm »
This and the whole "the game really isn't all that great to begin with" are big motivating factors for my migration to the SNES version. The mazes are simpler and you have automapping abilities right out of the gate. It doesn't nerf the game by any stretch; I'd argue that it's just an overall improvement. Though yeah, the NES version's music is nice.

Gideon Zhi, this means that you are working on Kyuuyaku Megami Tensei for the SNES?

This surely will be great news indeed!!!  :o

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2014, 03:55:53 pm »
If you're happier doing the SNES version, then I'm happy for you. It always sucks to see someone set down something they put effort into, but I'm wishing all the best of luck with the SNES version, you deserve it.

That's just it - I don't really like the NES version. I wasn't able to give it the treatment I felt it deserved from a technical perspective, and I didn't care enough to invest any extra effort into it. You'll see a much more highly refined product out of me with the SNES version.

Gideon Zhi, this means that you are working on Kyuuyaku Megami Tensei for the SNES?

This surely will be gratly news indeed!!!  :o

You haven't been watching my twitter feed and haven't looked at the screenshots thread, have you?

dan_el

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2014, 03:57:33 pm »
You haven't been watching my twitter feed and haven't looked at the screenshots thread, have you?

No, I didn't, but I will. Promise  ;D

Ballz

• party time excellent
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2014, 06:52:31 pm »
Good lord, I feel sorry for everyone who took the time to go and finish that Dirty Pair translation and actually play through the game to make sure it was OK.  That's some serious pain you inflicted upon yourselves.

Am I allowed to post in the Castlevania 2 retranslation thread? That project is what got me to start lurking here after like, a decade's absence.

Ballz Ballz Ballz Ballz Ballz Ballz Ballz Ballz Ballz Ballz Ballz Ballz Ballz Ballz Ballz Ballz Ballz Ballz...

Whoa. Now here's another blast from the past.  Glad to see you're still around, buddy.

Anyways, not trying to hijack this topic, so I'll add that I'm pretty stoked about the pending MT release.  I'll probably give it a whirl when it comes out, although I admit I'm much less patient with my video games than I once was. 
Ballzysoft Industries: Making rom hacks about once every 20 years. This decade's release: EarthBound MSU-1 Hip Hop Journey

stahl

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2014, 09:55:48 pm »
Love how the relevant link goes to a page that hasn't had a news post since 2011.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2014, 10:39:09 pm »
As far as I know, I'm the only one who has a website. To be honest, my site is in need of a redesign, that's why there haven't been any posts in forever. Technically Esper has a site filler made for their projects together, but I don't think that counts.

Although thinking about it, Esper had a blog for when he did Last Bible 2 on the GBC. I don't think that's been updated since like 2008! ;D
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 10:49:03 pm by Pennywise »

Fredde

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2014, 04:16:39 am »
I hope everyone in the translation group has this thing safely backed up. I imagine a lot can happen in seven artificially added months of wait, and it'd truly be a shame if the patch  got lost on the way.

glown

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2014, 12:16:43 pm »
yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes

thanks for this!

esperknight

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2014, 05:08:21 pm »
I hope everyone in the translation group has this thing safely backed up. I imagine a lot can happen in seven artificially added months of wait, and it'd truly be a shame if the patch  got lost on the way.

That'll be the next announcement ;)

Actually for this project I believe I only lost stuff twice... (back in the days of hand me down hard drives and what not...).  So yeah.... repository a go!  Actually most of my stuff is in a subversion repo and quite a bit of it is also public (if anyone cares :) ).