News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: Final Fantasy V - Legend of the Crystals v0.4 released!  (Read 22206 times)

RHDNBot

Update By: Spooniest

Almost 15 years ago, RPGe, a loosely-connected team of hackers and translators, decided two things:

- One) That Final Fantasy V was awesome

and

- Two) That they weren't going to sit around while it languished in obscurity.

So they copied the game, and went to work. They hacked in an english alphabet and did the translation as best they could for a group of teenagers just futzing around, and the very first fan-translation of a Final Fantasy game was born.

This release aims to clean up that fan translation a bit, and give you a new excuse to play Final Fantasy V in the process. The punctuation (!!) was toned down, phrasing was altered where deemed necessary, and all in all, the awesomeness level of the entire game was incrementally increased.

Enjoy!

~ Spoons

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link: (http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1788/)

aqualung

• View Profile
Re: ROM Hacks: Final Fantasy V - Legend of the Crystals v0.4 released!
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 05:21:08 pm »
I remember back in 1997-98, becoming aware that this patch existed (I knew nothing of ROM hacking, let alone that there were people with the ability to hack a ROM and translate it completely into another language) and searching the internet for the patch (back in the day, here in Spain few people had internet at home, so I had to go to a Cybercafe and pay a fairly high amount of money for 60 minutes of browsing). When I went back home, applied the patch and saw the text in perfect English, I couldn't believe it, I was amazed. It was the first fan-translated game I'd ever played and I've been a big fan of ROM translations since then.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 06:00:06 pm by aqualung »

mgridgaway

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 09:01:28 pm »
Spooniest, just out of curiosity, do you plan on doing other work on this hack (since it's only at .4), and if so, what?

I've been looking to replay FFV but none of my options are particularly compelling. I don't have the GBA cart and wouldn't want to play that way to begin with (I want a console experience!), but it's generally agreed that it has the best translation. I have Anthology, but the loading times are pretty bad on that. I can't remember the Woolsey translation (haven't played the game since it originally released on PS1) but I've heard it leaves much to be desired. Then there's the RPGe translation (which I've heard can be a bit bland/literal) and your hack of it.

So... in a roundabout way, I guess I'm asking what you endgame is. Do you plan on trying to make this the definitive FF V experience, or are you mostly just looking to tidy things up?

Spooniest

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Ain't got no berf cer-fi-ti-cate on me now
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 10:08:34 pm »
I'm glad you asked that!

I'm looking to tidy things up, yes, but I'd also like to add some new flavor into the mix.

I have a bad habit of hiding subtle references (nothing so jarring as the William Shatner reference in J2e's FF4) in my scripts, and this one is no exception.

The reason it's at 0.4 is that while I did go through the entire game and edit the punctuation, I have not playtested past getting the Steamship, nor have I changed any item/monster/location names with the exception of changing Galura to Garula (like the GBA version) and Worus to Walse (as the GBA version).

My endgame is to make it look as professional as possible, without overhauling it so much that RPGe's work is unrecognizable.

Go ahead and play a bit of it; tell me what you think.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 10:25:57 pm by Spooniest »
I never wanted to work in a pet shop, you know. I wanted to be...a lumberjack.

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 11:43:30 pm »
I'll be playing this one soon. Are the characters changed to the US versions? So far I can see the main character is Bartz, not Butz! (Thank GOD!)

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 01:37:19 am »
I'll be playing this one soon. Are the characters changed to the US versions? So far I can see the main character is Bartz, not Butz! (Thank GOD!)

None of the other characters' names have ever been changed, except Lenna, who was Reina in the PSX version...and Slattery said screw that, so I did too.

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 07:46:43 am »
It would probably be nice to link to RPGe's translation in the description so people unfamiliar with it will know what it is.
TransCorp - Over 20 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 11:11:07 am »
Aye, sir!

Celice

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2014, 04:34:17 pm »
So is this a rephrasing of the RPGe translation patch, or are you actually retranslating aspects of the game? I've come across a few fan rewrites in the past, and almost every one of them have authors who try and conflate rewriting someone else's translation as being in line with a professional translation, and it always kinda irked me when someone would try and put the two side-by-side.

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2014, 07:36:31 pm »
So I really liked J2E's FFIV translation, and thought RPGe's FFV translation was pretty bland (or maybe the script just is pretty bland). Should I still try this?
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2014, 10:32:41 pm »
So I really liked J2E's FFIV translation, and thought RPGe's FFV translation was pretty bland (or maybe the script just is pretty bland). Should I still try this?

Likely so, as I thought the same thing.

I'm open to suggestions for what still needs changing...since it's v0.4, I'm still working on it.

mgridgaway

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2014, 02:19:21 am »
Well, since you're asking...  ::)

Ideally, the FFV I want to play is one that's localized and not just translated. Something that combines accuracy in order to tell the story the developers wanted to tell but is decidedly English in style and form.

Basically, do to FFV what you did with FFVI: Stand Guard.  :)

Again, just my opinion! I still have massive respect for the work J2E put into this translation.

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2014, 02:44:51 am »
Well, since you're asking...  ::)

Ideally, the FFV I want to play is one that's localized and not just translated. Something that combines accuracy in order to tell the story the developers wanted to tell but is decidedly English in style and form.

Basically, do to FFV what you did with FFVI: Stand Guard.  :)

That is the intention behind it (and thank you for the kind words), however, it is much more difficult when hex editing the way I am to change the structure of the characters in the rom. With Stand Guard, I had FF3usME, which just involved typing what I wanted the characters to say. This is a bit more involved...

Again, just my opinion! I still have massive respect for the work J2E put into this translation.

:/ This is RPGe, not J2e. But enough talk! Have at you!

So is this a rephrasing of the RPGe translation patch, or are you actually retranslating aspects of the game? I've come across a few fan rewrites in the past, and almost every one of them have authors who try and conflate rewriting someone else's translation as being in line with a professional translation, and it always kinda irked me when someone would try and put the two side-by-side.

I'm not retranslating anything, just picking up the cues Tom Slattery's cohort gives me. By comparing it to the GBA version, I'm able to compromise and come up with something that suggests the GBA, without being a direct copy. No doubt, someone with better hacking skills will come along and have the GBA version's script completely ported in, making my hack obsolete...

But I enjoy the work. Sue me.

Wait. No, please don't sue me.  :beer:

UPDATE: I've made it nearly to the end of World 1, but I'm sick and tired, so no more until I have some sleep...

One thing I don't think I've mentioned is that I'm taking the swearing out of the game altogether. Japanese doesn't have the same rules or systemry for swearing that English does at all, and to be honest, it always bounces me right out of the game.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 03:28:58 am by Spooniest »

mgridgaway

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2014, 03:48:18 pm »
Whoops! You're right. I get them mixed up often. To be honest, I've never played either translation (FFIV J2e and V RPGe, that is). SE has been pretty good about giving FFIV a proper translation, and I've been holding off on playing FFV (again) until I could find the best of both worlds.

At any rate, I look forward to your work! The good thing about this still being a work in progress is that my backlog is so large, I'll probably catch up right around the time you finish!  :P

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2014, 08:20:51 pm »
Did you remove the gray shadow for the 8x8 font? And did you fix the consistency for the Twelve Legendary Weapon names? If I'm remembering right, some weapons are called one thing when you pick them up from the pillars, and then another thing entirely in the menu.
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2014, 08:28:15 pm »
Did you remove the gray shadow for the 8x8 font? And did you fix the consistency for the Twelve Legendary Weapon names? If I'm remembering right, some weapons are called one thing when you pick them up from the pillars, and then another thing entirely in the menu.

Nope, but as soon as I happen upon them, I'll get that taken care of.

What's this about the grey shadow for the 8x8? I wanted to add shadows to the dialogue font (the bigger one) but it didn't happen.

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2014, 09:11:20 pm »
The gray shadow looks almost kind of nice on HD and computer screens, but on a CRT TV, the white and gray blend together. I personally don't think the gray shadow looks nice at all, and thus I removed it for the quick test I did. I could share screenshots and you could see if you like it?

And the exact problem was that Sasuke's Katana is called "Sasuke's Katana" in the dialogue, and "Hardened" in the menu.

EDIT - And Legend of the Crystals is for an unheadered ROM. Thought I should share that.

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2014, 09:39:35 pm »
Thanks for the info.

Let me know if you think any lines should be changed.

I see what you mean about the menu font. Do you think I should remove the shadows altogether? Cuz I can change them to black if you want.

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2014, 01:01:33 am »
You could make it black if you truly wanted, but I personally would just have it removed. It'd be more consistent with the dialogue font that way.

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2014, 03:16:58 am »
Like this?

I do agree that this is more consistent with the dialogue font.