News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Castlevania 3j Long Version with SRAM Support  (Read 26506 times)

Drakon

• View Profile
    • 16 Bit Gamer
Re: Castlevania 3j Long Version with SRAM Support
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2014, 04:23:01 pm »
That's not what your comment said pre-edit...

"Not unless" doesn't mean "I expect".  I don't expect people to pay money for this sort of thing.

What would be really cool, if you hacked Rondo on PC-Engine to have all the levels and boss from CV3. Surprised no one has attempted hacking that game. It's not like 6280 is much different than 6502, and a lot of romhackers have cut their teeth on 65x.

I think the game is too perfect as is.

Skips

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2014, 04:59:14 pm »
"Not unless" doesn't mean "I expect".  I don't expect people to pay money for this sort of thing.

I think the game is too perfect as is.

It does not change the fact that you want money for it before you are willing to release it. Like I said, keeping it to yourself is fine but don't spout this bullshit off about not releasing it without compensation for your "time". Basically what you have said is you won't release it unless you are paid money. That is bullshit.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2014, 06:08:59 pm »
I don't see the problem with wanting money. In fact I give him props for standing up to the this doctrine that everything on the internet has to be free for it to be acceptable.

beelzebub06660

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2014, 06:47:19 pm »
I don't see the problem with wanting money. In fact I give him props for standing up to the this doctrine that everything on the internet has to be free for it to be acceptable.

The fact remains that he'd be making money off of copyrighted material.  :police: It would be different if he was making an NES homebrew totally from scratch using characters of his own design. I couldn't care less if he releases his romhack for free, or at all. 

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2014, 06:56:55 pm »
The fact remains that he'd be making money off of copyrighted material.  :police: It would be different if he was making an NES homebrew totally from scratch using characters of his own design. I couldn't care less if he releases his romhack for free, or at all. 

Sure, if he distributed it as a ROM. He's not selling the ROM, he's selling the work he put into the game; SRAM, some kind of useful gamplay changes etc. It's his work, no one elses.

tomaitheous

• View Profile
    • PC Engine Dev
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2014, 07:00:22 pm »

Not if he's selling the patch itself. If the patch contains nothing but his original work, regardless of how it's applied to the application, it's still his work. He can't sell the rom, but he could sell the patch. Or go about it a different way; release it to the public once enough people have 'donated' or the amount donated meets his goal/whatever. Not so much different when people hold beta carts and such - private, until enough people 'purchase' his decision to make it public (dump the game).

I don't personally do this, but I also don't attempt to dictate what other people do with their time/work. Just because I, and other people, give away their hard work - doesn't mean everyone else should have to as well. To each their own.

Drakon

• View Profile
    • 16 Bit Gamer
« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2014, 07:05:02 pm »
Sure, if he distributed it as a ROM. He's not selling the ROM, he's selling the work he put into the game; SRAM, some kind of useful gamplay changes etc. It's his work, no one elses.

Thank you, it's nice to see some people understand.

Not if he's selling the patch itself. If the patch contains nothing but his original work, regardless of how it's applied to the application, it's still his work. He can't sell the rom, but he could sell the patch. Or go about it a different way; release it to the public once enough people have 'donated' or the amount donated meets his goal/whatever. Not so much different when people hold beta carts and such - private, until enough people 'purchase' his decision to make it public (dump the game).

I don't personally do this, but I also don't attempt to dictate what other people do with their time/work. Just because I, and other people, give away their hard work - doesn't mean everyone else should have to as well. To each their own.

My plan was basically your donation idea.  But really that's not what I wanted this thread to be about.  How about we discuss moralities about asking for money in another thread?

Skips

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2014, 07:16:21 pm »

Drakon is not standing up to any doctrine, I recommend reading http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?246222-Messy-Mod-Work-Thread at least until you get to the part when Phonedork speaks up about him. Drakon is just searching for a new venue to squeeze money from as his reputation among the console modding communities has plummeted severely due to his shady behavior (that and Viletim's release of the RGB NES PCB has made "his" flagship "product" obsolete). Normally I would agree with what has been said here but in this case its just the norm for Drakon. 

Satoshi_Matrix

• Retro & Contemporary Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Retro & Contemporary Gaming Archives
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2014, 01:58:18 am »
I've had Drakon do some work for me before too.

I agree his mods aren't the neatest around. He sure loves to use excessive amounts of hot glue, but that's hardly a capital offense. Hot glue is useful to secure solder connections. I use hot glue on my mods as well.

Skips

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2014, 09:27:08 am »
I've had Drakon do some work for me before too.

I agree his mods aren't the neatest around. He sure loves to use excessive amounts of hot glue, but that's hardly a capital offense. Hot glue is useful to secure solder connections. I use hot glue on my mods as well.

You completely missed the point of my post. I am not referring to his modding skills. Read the phonedork post and beyond. How he fleeced him for every nickel and dime he could, this is typical behavior for him. His modding skills are not what are being challenged here.

P.S. Sorry but if you are hot-gluing solder connections you are doing it wrong as well. If you are trimming wires to length, tinning both the item you are soldering to and the wire, and using rosin core solder correctly you will not need to use hot glue on your solder joints. Using hot glue to secure solder joints is something inexperienced or insecure modders do. If hot glue must be used it is used to tack down the wires BEFORE solder joints and only in a drop. If you need good examples of what clean, reliable modwork looks like please take a look at this thread below and stop telling people it is proper modwork. It is comments like these that allow bad modwork to spread like a plague through the modding communities. However this is WAY off topic (more so than whats been said already) so if you would like to further discuss proper modding practices feel free to drop me a PM on here or Neo-Geo.com. I would be happy to discuss it with you as well as give you helpful tips and tricks.

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?248165-Clean-Mod-Work-Thread!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 12:23:43 pm by Skips »

Satoshi_Matrix

• Retro & Contemporary Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Retro & Contemporary Gaming Archives
« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2014, 12:47:52 pm »
Oh. I guess I did miss your point.

Then yes, I agree - Drakon is a nickel and dimer. Most definitely. I haven't been spared that either, and I'm his friend.

But again I would say....so what? We live in a nickle and dime world. If you can offer a service, you charge, and it's not like he's getting rich offering his modding services. I agree his prices are too high which is why I haven't commissioned him to do a whole lot. I've told him many times in the past that he should lower his prices so to get more interest. But if he wants to charge more and have fewer customers, that's up to him.

As for adding glue over soldering connections as something inexperienced/insecure modders do, I think that's a matter of opinion. For years adding glue was something I didn't do at all, and I discovered its a useful aid when building arcade sticks especially. Obviously you make sure your solder connection is good first, the glue only acts as an additional wall of protection.

I don't use half the glue Drakon does, but no, I cannot agree that the practice of using hot glue is wrong. 

If you choose not to that's great for you, but I've personally seen the benefits and nothing's going to stop me from using glue in the future. 

Skips

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2014, 01:47:02 pm »
Oh. I guess I did miss your point.

Then yes, I agree - Drakon is a nickel and dimer. Most definitely. I haven't been spared that either, and I'm his friend.

But again I would say....so what? We live in a nickle and dime world. If you can offer a service, you charge, and it's not like he's getting rich offering his modding services. I agree his prices are too high which is why I haven't commissioned him to do a whole lot. I've told him many times in the past that he should lower his prices so to get more interest. But if he wants to charge more and have fewer customers, that's up to him.

As for adding glue over soldering connections as something inexperienced/insecure modders do, I think that's a matter of opinion. For years adding glue was something I didn't do at all, and I discovered its a useful aid when building arcade sticks especially. Obviously you make sure your solder connection is good first, the glue only acts as an additional wall of protection.

I don't use half the glue Drakon does, but no, I cannot agree that the practice of using hot glue is wrong. 

If you choose not to that's great for you, but I've personally seen the benefits and nothing's going to stop me from using glue in the future. 

I'm sorry but its really not a matter of opinion and I hope to god you don't do commission work. People with your mentality are what is wrong with the modding communities. I am not arguing that you should not use hot glue at all but the application that you are using it for is wrong. If you need that extra "wall of protection" for your solder joints you are doing the work incorrectly. Like I have said a billion times already, Hot glue should be used ONLY to hold wires down in longer wire runs (like when building a CMVS) and should NEVER be used to reinforce shit mod work. There is ZERO reason to glue a solder joint, unless you are completely incompetent that is. All the hot gluing of joints does is make it more of a pain in the ass for experienced modders to repair when clients bring them their systems. Most of the work I have done for others in the past was repair work for other people's half assed and glue infested mod work.

I strongly recommend you read the messy mod work thread in its entirety, you might actually learn something and improve your modding skills. If you want to keep doing it how you do it and look inexperienced to those that do know what they are doing by all means full steam ahead! Just do the communities a favor and don't try to pass it off as proper mod work, there are enough lackluster modders out there that charge money for unprofessional bullshit. Like I said though, if you want to learn something send me a PM. I would be more than happy to show you how to do things correctly and unlike Drakon I wont charge you for it.

**Edited one of the lines as I had misread one of the sentences in your post**
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 02:25:22 pm by Skips »

tomaitheous

• View Profile
    • PC Engine Dev
« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2014, 02:22:57 pm »
Skips: Did you come here/sign up, ~just~ for this thread???

Skips

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2014, 02:24:18 pm »
Skips: Did you come here/sign up, ~just~ for this thread???

YUP, sometimes you gotta pull some weeds to keep a clean garden.

tomaitheous

• View Profile
    • PC Engine Dev
« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2014, 02:52:31 pm »
I dunno, comes off as a little stalkish/trollish...

Drakon

• View Profile
    • 16 Bit Gamer
« Reply #55 on: February 20, 2014, 03:47:41 pm »

Everyone has a hobby I guess.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2014, 03:56:36 pm »
I don't think it's stalker/trollish.  It's more like he's telling the community about how Drakon works, which apparently he has an incredibly bad rep on MANY places in the modding community.

Though, I can't really pertain in this argument much as I would never, ever do any sort of modding like that to a cartridge, system or anything.

I still say though, if you do work and WON'T release it via IPS patch, at least do what you said you'd do and release your notes (Preferably legible and not a broken mess) you did so someone CAN create it if they do so in their time, otherwise, it'd appear you're coming off as very condescending.
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

Skips

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2014, 04:04:16 pm »

Pointing out bullshit or past history is not trolling. I love how people automatically think any harsh criticism or negative comments are trolling in today's online society. Trolling would have been me posting something along the lines of "This hack is shit" then saying nothing else just to get a rise out of all of you. I actually have no problem with the hack and thought it actually looked kinda cool. This thread was linked to me by friends that do frequent this site as a sort of "BTW did you see this?" sort of thing. I replied to simply point out what I thought was bullshit and to show there was a past history of it. I did not have to go looking for this, it came to me.

It's great to ignore all the satisfied customers I've worked for and just focus on one or two who didn't like the service.

No Drakon, how you do things is just complete ass. That is why so many people find your work a laughing fucking stock and is the prime reason you can't walk two feet anywhere without getting bashed for it. When someone criticizes you you simply withdraw to your online buddies and bitch and moan how the internet is out to get you. They ass pat you until you feel you are in the right then you go back to doing the same shitty things over and over. There are several modders I talk with that do things in a way I don't agree with but we get along just fine. You know why that is? Because they don't do shit completely wrong, take criticism, share ideas, and don't try to pass shit they find on the internet as their own discoveries/work.

You also did not answer my question earlier, you ever pay Razoola for the Unibios you pirated? 

I don't think it's stalker/trollish.  It's more like he's telling the community about how Drakon works, which apparently he has an incredibly bad rep on MANY places in the modding community.

Exactly.

February 20, 2014, 04:10:29 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Oh cool drakon is back to editing his original messages. That is why my quote from him is so fucked up sounding. He originally had something along the lines of "Anyone that disagrees with him must be wrong".

As for your "satisfied customers" There were more than one or two. I currently have another system of yours coming to me with an RGB NES I will be modding for a client. I have also fixed a couple others which I never posted. Most of your clients simply choose not to make a big deal out of it but I can guarantee its not one or two. Don't worry though, I will post pictures of this next one I am getting once it hits my hands.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 04:10:29 pm by Skips »

tomaitheous

• View Profile
    • PC Engine Dev
« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2014, 04:29:33 pm »
Pointing out bullshit or past history is not trolling. I love how people automatically think any harsh criticism or negative comments are trolling in today's online society. Trolling would have been me posting something along the lines of "This hack is shit" then saying nothing else just to get a rise out of all of you. I actually have no problem with the hack and thought it actually looked kinda cool. This thread was linked to me by friends that do frequent this site as a sort of "BTW did you see this?" sort of thing. I replied to simply point out what I thought was bullshit and to show there was a past history of it. I did not have to go looking for this, it came to me.

Well, for one - this isn't a console modding site. So I don't see how any of that is relevant. Two, it didn't come 'to' you. You came here. What he posted here, has no relevance to your modding scene. You basically came here to attack his character. Him personally, and in public fashion. So yes, while you didn't 'troll' us - you are trolling him. If this was another console mod themed site, then you might have a more valid point. But this isn't, and this thread isn't about whatever beef you two have (or you have with him). And that the fact you followed him here,... ~is~ stalkish. Because you have no other interest here other than to confront him personally, and make him look bad in front of others on an unrelated subject. Yeah, that's not stalking or trolling..

I'm not defending anything Drakon has done, nor did I know what he's supposedly done (or care). But I am pointing out your behavior. There's no 'hot glueing' in rom hacking (well, maybe in the metaphysical sense), and he's not reselling someone else's work or stealing credit for it (that I'm aware of). So... if that's all you came here for, and you don't plan on to contribute to anything on this site/forum, then well.. don't let the door hit your ass on the way out.

Skips

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2014, 04:41:53 pm »
Well, for one - this isn't a console modding site. So I don't see how any of that is relevant. Two, it didn't come 'to' you. You came here. What he posted here, has no relevance to your modding scene. You basically came here to attack his character. Him personally, and in public fashion. So yes, while you didn't 'troll' us - you are trolling him. If this was another console mod themed site, then you might have a more valid point. But this isn't, and this thread isn't about whatever beef you two have (or you have with him). And that the fact you followed him here,... ~is~ stalkish. Because you have no other interest here other than to confront him personally, and make him look bad in front of others on an unrelated subject. Yeah, that's not stalking or trolling..

I'm not defending anything Drakon has done, nor did I know what he's supposedly done (or care). But I am pointing out your behavior. There's no 'hot glueing' in rom hacking (well, maybe in the metaphysical sense), and he's not reselling someone else's work or stealing credit for it (that I'm aware of). So... if that's all you came here for, and you don't plan on to contribute to anything on this site/forum, then well.. don't let the door hit your ass on the way out.

HHMMMMM last time I checked I am not the one that brought up the modding shit, I simply replied to what was said by Satoshi_Matrix, he was the one that brought it up. The link I posted was posted because it has information pertaining to his past shady dealings, which is why I said read until you get to the Phonedork post. If you had at least read that far in you would have seen that in the past he was just out to squeeze people for money so yes it is fucking relevant since the original post I replied to was regarding him wanting money for his ROM hack. The point of the original posts was to bring this past to light so hopefully it would not happen here if it went down that road. But then again I guess no one here actually read it on the grounds of not caring so of course you wont see it's relevance the messy mod work thread had to the post I replied to.

**edit** At this time I have made my point clear to those that actually want to take the time to read it. I will let you dudes get back to your ROM hacking fun. If you would like to argue/state your opinions with me feel free to shoot me a PM on Neo-Geo.com. I would be more than happy to talk to you :D. BTW Satoshi that was a serious offer, if you would like to talk about mod related material shoot me a message.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 04:50:56 pm by Skips »