News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Castlevania 3j Long Version with SRAM Support  (Read 27550 times)

Drakon

• View Profile
    • 16 Bit Gamer
Re: Castlevania 3j Long Version with SRAM Support
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2014, 06:10:48 am »
...really now?  I wonder if the translation hack that I have doesn't work in it then.  All this time I never bothered to try the original Japanese one as I was just editing bits and pieces in the English hack that I found by accident.  I can't believe I didn't go that route...gonna put a bag over my head and sit in the corner for the time being on this one :banghead:

Heh, I did a lot of editing with the program it works fine with my hacked rom.  Right now I'm having fun playing with the palettes to make the game palettes look more realistic and less like a cartoon.  I'm actually hacking the palettes quite extensively including most in game background as well as sprite palettes.  I even edited a palette that reVamp didn't let me have access to (boss palette).  The only palette data I didn't change so far was stuff that didn't look like a cartoon originally.  I'll make a demo of how the first couple of stages look when that's all done being tested.

Also playing around with revamp makes me realize I could have used it to change the music tracks instead of doing it manually...whoopsies...
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 06:20:05 am by Drakon »

Sinis

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2014, 10:43:00 am »
Ah, aight then!  Yeah...the look about the 'blocks' always made it look more like a cartoon along with a few other tidbits in the background tile sprites.

I did get a copy of the Japanese ROM last night and ran it through reVamp.  I copied the sprites that I did edit in the English hack over to the normal ROM, might make it a project once I make up my mind on what to tackle first lol!  Just wish I can somehow get a hold of RedRum to see if he was okay with me on continuing a certain hack title of his.

Though anyway, I might ask you later on to see if I could edit your hack of the 'Long Version' as I'd like to do a few versions of it once I get more experience on editing the hex stuff and all that.  Currently trying to focus on teaching myself to locate the music data via FCEUX since a person once told me that I don't need to know hex editing to change it all so...gonna give it a try next week with an NSF file once I located the actual music data on both the U.S and Japan versions :P

Drakon

• View Profile
    • 16 Bit Gamer
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2014, 04:18:33 pm »
My understanding from reading the nsf document is the nsf file contains the dumped music hex data it's not decoded at all.  So theoretically you could open the nsf in a hex editor, copy a small random string of hex in the middle, open the rom in an editor, and search for the string and you'll most likely find it.  That should be part of your music data.  Then you just need to read about how the nsf format determines where data for a song begins and ends to know where your data for each track starts and finishes.

Sinis

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2014, 08:21:11 pm »
My understanding from reading the nsf document is the nsf file contains the dumped music hex data it's not decoded at all.  So theoretically you could open the nsf in a hex editor, copy a small random string of hex in the middle, open the rom in an editor, and search for the string and you'll most likely find it.  That should be part of your music data.  Then you just need to read about how the nsf format determines where data for a song begins and ends to know where your data for each track starts and finishes.

Okay, that is extremely wonderful to know as it will save me loads of time then when I get far enough to installing it!

Too bad it can't work the same way like that to add music tracks towards the game via the NSF file but have to tinker with the ROM itself for all the directories and such, whatever is needed to add such extras.  I'm literally thinking about doing that Super Castlevania idea to your Long Version later on down the road :P

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2014, 12:18:10 am »
From what I understand, an NSF is pretty much a ROM with all the non-sound code/data stripped out.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Drakon

• View Profile
    • 16 Bit Gamer
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2014, 03:01:11 pm »
From what I understand, an NSF is pretty much a ROM with all the non-sound code/data stripped out.

Yeah that's the message I got from reading that document.  From my memory it's the music initialization code, the music play code, the music data, and some sort of system of pointers that tell it where each song's data is.

Dr. Mario

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2014, 11:12:43 am »
This is a crazy idea here, and I'm sure you're probably done with this hack, but hear me out. What if you made the game skip the team up cutscenes all together, and made it so you had all four characters right from the start. You might have to implement a menu, but it's totally possible. I know optomon was able to do something like that when we were working on CV3. To take it a step further, I bet there could be a way that you can make the game pick which ending it shows based off of who you are playing as when you beat the game. Just throwing it out there.
What is a man? Baby don't hurt me, don't hurt me, no more.

Sinis

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2014, 01:06:56 pm »
This is a crazy idea here, and I'm sure you're probably done with this hack, but hear me out. What if you made the game skip the team up cutscenes all together, and made it so you had all four characters right from the start. You might have to implement a menu, but it's totally possible. I know optomon was able to do something like that when we were working on CV3. To take it a step further, I bet there could be a way that you can make the game pick which ending it shows based off of who you are playing as when you beat the game. Just throwing it out there.

Would it free up space to get rid of the encounter scenario's?  If so then it could make room for whatever else that needs to be ironed out or add, depending on what's desired to be added.

Hmm...if it's possible, one could 'extend' the area in the end just enough for all 4 characters to stand there on the cliff to show the team effort.  I dunno how well that would go over as it could clash with certain stuff that's used in the ending scenario.  Can't remember if they all have the same amount of animation frames or not on the cliff to pull it off properly.

Drakon

• View Profile
    • 16 Bit Gamer
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2014, 01:48:26 pm »

Yes the game could pick the ending based on who you end up with.  Also it would be easy to program it that every time you hit select it cycles to the next guy in the list of guys you can be.  I'm not don with this hack, I've been hacking the palette data for most of the game.  I'll be uploading a demo video of that progress shortly.

Would it free up space to get rid of the encounter scenario's?  If so then it could make room for whatever else that needs to be ironed out or add, depending on what's desired to be added.

Hmm...if it's possible, one could 'extend' the area in the end just enough for all 4 characters to stand there on the cliff to show the team effort.  I dunno how well that would go over as it could clash with certain stuff that's used in the ending scenario.  Can't remember if they all have the same amount of animation frames or not on the cliff to pull it off properly.

Getting rid of anything frees up space, but you'll have to find where it is to get rid of it.  Also don't forget the nes has a limited amount of sprite palettes it can draw (up to 3 banks in this game from what I've seen).  Therefore if you have too many sprites with different palette data it probably won't work having all four characters unless you make some of them share the same palette data.

Sinis

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2014, 02:29:34 pm »
Getting rid of anything frees up space, but you'll have to find where it is to get rid of it.  Also don't forget the nes has a limited amount of sprite palettes it can draw (up to 3 banks in this game from what I've seen).  Therefore if you have too many sprites with different palette data it probably won't work having all four characters unless you make some of them share the same palette data.

Oh yeah...forgot that the ending sprites use different palettes compared to their gameplay sprites (I know Trevor uses a different palette at the ending scenario but not sure about the others as I never fully looked at them for that particular moment.)

Wonder if there's a way to utilize it in without ruining stuff at the ending scenario, maybe kinda like how the title screen functions where certain areas use/feed off of certain palettes in different areas.

Drakon

• View Profile
    • 16 Bit Gamer
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2014, 02:32:53 pm »
Here's a video of a really early version of the re-colourized rom.  Since recording this video I've already updated / fixed a lot of palette data including the palette changing when lighting strikes with the one boss.  This just shows a general idea of how I'm changing the game colours to look more realistic and less like a cartoon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31pQaLUoTdE

A lot of sprites share the same palette data which is why some sprites aren't much different looking.

Sinis

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2014, 03:59:36 pm »
A lot of sprites share the same palette data which is why some sprites aren't much different looking.

I remember learning this the hard way with a practice hack that I lost on my old PC.  Was going through areas while noticing that palettes were shared from this enemy to that enemy.  Had to re-plan a lot of stuff to make sure stuff wasn't out of place with everything else.  Was gonna look into seeing how difficult it was for certain enemies and areas to rely on a whole new color palette along with making such new color palette but never got that far.  When I look back on that idea I wonder if it would cause stress on the game as it might go over that certain limit that's allowed on the screen.

I see on what you mean on trying to make it more realistic.  I've thought about looking to see how to adapt a customized Batman (NES) atmosphere to Castlevania 3 without screwing anything up entirely on making it too dark so that way things can still give the player that feeling of a new fresh game play.

Btw, noticing that you have English alphabet characters in your 3j hack just how hard would it be to do a translation hack without it not being recognizable in reVamp?  Kinda hate the fact that the English hack that I found can't be used in reVamp.  I deeply am considering about doing that Super Castlevania hack on the Japanese version since it already has the VRC6 in it.

Drakon

• View Profile
    • 16 Bit Gamer
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2014, 04:45:21 pm »
I'm not going to bother fanslating the game the story stuff really doesn't make a difference to me, you should ask the people who did the fanslation to make it revamp compatible.  Or even better look at the programming they did and fix it to work with revamp yourself.  Again, you can do this by learning how to use all the features of fceux debug build.

The fact the english fanslation isn't programmed to use english tiles is silly, it should be as easy and finding the existing text hex and changing it to hex that represents the english characters.  Theoretically you can open a virgin unedited rom build two table files for it (one japanese another english) and wherever you find japanese text turn it into english characters and all should be good.  I edited the ending credit and main screen text very easily by building simple english table files.

Sinis

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2014, 09:00:01 pm »
Sad thing is I don't know who made it as I found it on one of those ROM websites back in 2012.  Looked up in the listings on here and found a translation patch of it in the Translations section.  Thing that makes me happy is that reVamp accepts this one so looks like I'll be moving my old C3 projects onto Akumajou Densetsu once I find all the values for the letters to change them properly.  I'm also going to try and fiddle around with it's NSF file tomorrow so I can try to understand of how the sound engine ticks and where everything is at especially of how to make the beats of the song faster or slower along with how to make it repeat from either the beginning or from a certain area within the track itself. 

Guess now is the time to see about finding out how to hook the levels together like your 3j Long Version while also deleting the talk/encounter scenarios along with the side characters in hex.

Drakon

• View Profile
    • 16 Bit Gamer
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2014, 01:57:06 pm »

Video from start to finish:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wErLSJX4kbo&feature=youtu.be

Game plays flawlessly.  Sram saving works fine.  All tile glitches during secondary character change cutscenes are fixed by doing quick workarounds.  Most of the palette changes were done using reVamp but there were still palette changes I did manually for certain in game special effects (lightning striking, water freezing / unfreezing, bricks dropping, certain boss / cutscene palette data).

I think I did pretty good for this being the second nes game I've ever romhacked.  Everything except for most of the palette changes I did manually via asm hacking in a hex editor.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 02:06:08 pm by Drakon »

beelzebub06660

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2014, 09:34:52 pm »
Nice vid, so how much money are you requiring for this to be released? Because you said in your video's comments that you won't be releasing this unless you're paid. How much of that is going to go to +daniel+ for using his utility reVamp?

Drakon

• View Profile
    • 16 Bit Gamer
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2014, 10:09:18 pm »
Nice vid, so how much money are you requiring for this to be released? Because you said in your video's comments that you won't be releasing this unless you're paid. How much of that is going to go to +daniel+ for using his utility reVamp?

I don't expect people to pay.  So why's it important?  If daniel wanted money for his utility then perhaps he shouldn't have released it for free.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 10:36:39 pm by Drakon »

beelzebub06660

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2014, 11:02:23 pm »
I don't expect people to pay.  So why's it important?  If daniel wanted money for his utility then perhaps he shouldn't have released it for free.

That's not what your comment said pre-edit...

Spoiler:

Skips

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2014, 09:33:30 am »
That's not what your comment said pre-edit...

Spoiler:

**Edit**

It is obvious you are wanting monetary gain for this project before giving it to others. Here is a screenshot directly taken from your forums. Not releasing it is your choice but don't bullshit people by saying you were not trying to get money for it.

BTW speaking of files, you ever pay Razoola for that pirated Universe BIOS your buddy Grambo let you dump off his official one?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 09:52:37 am by Skips »

tomaitheous

• View Profile
    • PC Engine Dev
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2014, 01:32:19 pm »
What would be really cool, if you hacked Rondo on PC-Engine to have all the levels and boss from CV3. Surprised no one has attempted hacking that game. It's not like 6280 is much different than 6502, and a lot of romhackers have cut their teeth on 65x.