News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: [PS1]Ace Combat 3 Electrosphere: text replacement (next ver. coming soon)  (Read 109685 times)

D.O.Eraven

• View Profile
Re: [PS1]ACE COMBAT 3: text replacement (Jpn.->Eng.) (RELEASED!)
« Reply #320 on: April 20, 2017, 11:33:46 am »
Hello,
I played the game with the last translation and I would ask something about Keith to the translation team.

I noticed that Keith uses an ridiculous amount of slangs while he speaks, in contrast he talks normally in the photosphere booklet, see the image.

Is this your choice to make this character to talk in this way? If yes, why?

Thanks
-AC3 Italian Translation Project-
http://ac3es.infrid.com/doku.php?id=start

OrientalComputer_1

Infrid

• View Profile
    • Ace Combat ITP
« Reply #321 on: May 04, 2017, 08:24:11 am »
I'd like to know the reason too please.

DragonSpikeXIII

• Team NEMO
    • View Profile
    • Project NEMO
« Reply #322 on: May 04, 2017, 09:34:15 am »
A translator could give a better answer than me, but being very familiar with the text and the translation process, I can assure you guys that there's nothing unusual about how we translated Keith's dialogue. The change in register is evident in both the original Japanese text and in the way he speaks. Try listening to the way Keith speaks throughout the game and see how the way the sounds changes depending on the situation or general context.

And even though the Photosphere features an excellent professional translation, it would be a mistake to make him sound like that all the way through. And the lines from the booklet that do have a match in the actual game, those I did not alter except for when they were too long.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 02:59:27 pm by DragonSpikeXIII »

DragonSpikeXIII

• Team NEMO
    • View Profile
    • Project NEMO
« Reply #323 on: June 14, 2017, 10:56:43 pm »
"Not just a cool name, not anymore"
ENEMY DOWN: the International Edition sub-title has now finally been added to the title screen. Huge thanks to Krishty, from the zfx developia forums at zfx.info, for making this possible in the first place, danke schön!

A full report on the progress made and my new goals will all be on the next State of the Project, on my blog USEA Today, coming soon. Auf Wiedersehen!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 08:22:36 am by DragonSpikeXIII »

pmt7ar

• View Profile
    • @MangaHelpers
« Reply #324 on: June 30, 2017, 01:05:38 am »
I'm ashamed I can't recall the translated Keith's dialogs nor have the enviroment to test it now, but from just looking at that booklet there is a clear difference between the english text and its japanese counterpart.

While the japanese text doesn't contains slang "words", it written in a very casual, informal and a bit rude japanese. Certainly no officer, soldier or employee would speak that way in an interview. From a japanese perspective, it's quite slangish.

DragonSpikeXIII

• Team NEMO
    • View Profile
    • Project NEMO
« Reply #325 on: July 18, 2017, 10:24:32 am »
AC3E FAN-TRANSLATION TOOLS ROUND-UP POST

Ok so this thread's a f#@¤|g mess, I can't find anything here anymore. Even links for tools are dead. Not on my watch! This post is going to help people find the latest tools that were created for this project. If you came from my State of the Project post that I'm gonna post weeks from now: hey o/ this is what you want, fam

"All you need" list
And

20170718: Everything crucial is here, but I'll add more links for tools in the future.
20171021: Project NEMO programs submitted to RHDN.
20180123: Added tools used to translate the final credits scroll, courtesy of weissvulf.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 08:47:26 am by DragonSpikeXIII »

Infrid

• View Profile
    • Ace Combat ITP
« Reply #326 on: August 19, 2017, 04:10:57 am »
thanks for sharing your tools, in my spare time I made a real ulz compressor, is still not efficient as the namco's one but we'll get there soon.

https://github.com/Infrid/ac3es-tools

you need at least python 3.2

Bear in mind that even with the most efficient tool you won't get an ulz file that has the same filesize as the original. If you change something the compressor will produce a completely different file.

I tested against my own decompressor, when I have time I'll provide binaries (so you don't have to install python) and optimize the algorithm.

The compressor needs some parameter to compress files, those parameters are the ulz type and the compression level, you can get those information with the "info" command.

You can get information form iso and BPB files too, thanks to orientalcomputer_01 for that :)

DragonSpikeXIII

• Team NEMO
    • View Profile
    • Project NEMO
« Reply #327 on: August 20, 2017, 03:08:50 pm »
Good job Infrid and co., really cool :thumbsup:

Infrid

• View Profile
    • Ace Combat ITP
« Reply #328 on: October 11, 2017, 12:50:34 pm »
thanks, I have another news

In the team nemo's patch the search functionality is broken, when you try to access those parts the game crashes.

For example, if you try to access to the search for the mission scylla and charybdis, using the last public English patch, the game crashes.

We fixed that part for the Italian translation and as you can see from the screenshot the game works. I would like to know if the team nemo already managed to fix those bugs.

There is still some text in Japanese too, did you already translate that by chance?

DragonSpikeXIII

• Team NEMO
    • View Profile
    • Project NEMO
« Reply #329 on: October 11, 2017, 03:39:18 pm »
Damn, I had no idea that happened... I can confirm that this game-crashing bug occurs on M08 Scylla and Charybdis, M23 Tainted Peace, M28 Dilemma and M43 Utopian Dreams. I advise people to stay away from entering the Search menu during these missions, most entries are not in English anyway. Thank you for bringing this to mine and everyone's attention.

Me and Greenrose, who recently returned to the project, are working on the Search entries that are still untranslated in v2.0. He's currently translating the first four files but said that it's gonna take longer than usual because this kind of text is harder to translate compared to what can be found in story-line script.
I'm also doing my part by working on all the others, both transcribing and translating them, and I'd be inclined to agree. I told him that I have no self-imposed deadlines this time around and that he can take the time he needs in order to get a good translation out of those files. So no pressure at all, which makes for a better working environment. I, too, need time as I'm a rookie at this sort of thing and also working on many other aspect of the game, which I mentioned on my last project report State of the Project 2017 (available on my blog "USEA Today" for those who would like to know more).

EDIT: update on the game-crashing bug. As I suspected, this has to do with the uncompressed Search title translations. I just tried replacing ten Search titles at random with the compressed originals and the menu worked. I'll keep testing to see how many is too much for the game to handle, and consider whether to leave some Search titles untranslated.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 04:22:49 am by DragonSpikeXIII »

DragonSpikeXIII

• Team NEMO
    • View Profile
    • Project NEMO
WANT TO CHANGE MUSIC TRACK FOR MISSION [PSX] [PS1]
« Reply #330 on: November 11, 2017, 07:56:50 am »
There's something I've put off doing for awhile now that some people asked me about in the past and that I'd like to add to this project too: I want to change the BGM that plays during one mission with another track that is already on the disc, but went unused for reasons unknown.

I've read the SPU documentation and a little bit on debugging. I've also searched for previous attempts at PSX music hacking but found nothing that helped me in this endeavor.

What I know:
- the track is already in the disc so I don't need to replace any music

- the ntsc-u version does use the BGM I want to have in the ntsc-j version

What I need to know:
- is this feasible or am I in for a world of hurt?

- how do I locate the BGM pointers, is it possible to do it with debugging emulators?

- if such a thing exists, how do I then find the address for it in HEX so I can modify the values that decide which BGM plays during the mission.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 08:06:14 am by DragonSpikeXIII »

weissvulf

• Good news! An anomaly solved the enigma.
    • View Profile
Re: [PS1]Ace Combat 3 Electrosphere English Fan-Translation (v2.0 out now!)
« Reply #331 on: November 12, 2017, 05:28:51 pm »
The PS1 has a few standard sound formats. I'm guessing that this music is in a separate audio track on the CD, as opposed to the PS1's MIDI-like format?

If so, there are a couple things you could try. First, find the origial music's start LBA (aka the number of the sector where the music starts) and search the game's exe for that value (remember to account for endian-ness). If you're lucky you may it and be able to edit it to the new music's location. The theory being that the exe has a 'play music' routine which uses the music start sector as an argument to prepare the data for the PS1 hardware.

If all else fails, you might try swapping the actual music data between the original and new tracks. The portion of the sector that holds the actual audio data is always the same size and just holds raw sound data. I believe you could swap that sound data between sectors without issue as long as you don't touch any CD sector headers. I have a vague recollection that the audio sectors have error checking though which would be part of the sector header. I'm not sure if that would cause and issue. You could do some research on standard "redbook" audio CD format to find out. PS1 audio is stored in the exact same way. Also, there might be issues with swapping audio data if the original and new tracks are different lengths, but you might be able to get around that by playing with the CDs table of contents.

On a different topic, does anyone know if the AC3E Text Editor only supports AC3E files? It looks well laid out and I'm wondering if it will function on other image formats such as standard PS1 TIMs.   :thumbsup:

DragonSpikeXIII

• Team NEMO
    • View Profile
    • Project NEMO
« Reply #332 on: November 12, 2017, 06:34:49 pm »
The PS1 has a few standard sound formats. I'm guessing that this music is in a separate audio track on the CD, as opposed to the PS1's MIDI-like format?

If so, there are a couple things you could try. First, find the origial music's start LBA (aka the number of the sector where the music starts) and search the game's exe for that value (remember to account for endian-ness). If you're lucky you may it and be able to edit it to the new music's location. The theory being that the exe has a 'play music' routine which uses the music start sector as an argument to prepare the data for the PS1 hardware.

Yea, the game uses music tracks that can be ripped and played on any player.

Another important detail is that I can see where the sectors for each music track begin and end with jPSXdec. However, I can't replace the offending track with the desired one because that other track is used on a number of other missions.

So I know the sectors for both tracks: - the wrong one for this mission is in 167275-188211 and the one I want to use is in 213005-239981 of Disc 1 (this is a Disc 1 problem only)

I just ripped two files from the CD that could be the EXE, one has the SLPS catalog number as its name SLPS_020.20 and the other ACE3. Not sure which is the one that might help since both say PS-X EXE in their first lines when using a hex editor. I looked into both and I'm seeing some CD-related words such as cd_read, write, error and bios too.

My questions are: are these sector numbers supposed to translate into specific hex values that I can then use to search the EXE? Like, does beginning sector 167275 have its own hex address? If I can find the right hex address in the exe, for the mission I need, then I just need to copy the value from the track I need, right? (sorry if this sounds weird, not my specialty, but I've dealt with hex and big/little endian at least once before)

On a different topic, does anyone know if the AC3E Text Editor only supports AC3E files? It looks well laid out and I'm wondering if it will function on other image formats such as standard PS1 TIMs.   :thumbsup:

Hmm, it's a pity that Dashman isn't here to answer, but if you ask me I'd say try to use it and see if it works. If I'm not mistaken, that tool is one of the more specific that we have. I think he configured it to recognize and use the CLUTs that AC3 uses so that MAY be an issue but I never tried it on other games so I don't know. You can also use it for bitmap images with no CLUT. If image dimensions exceed 256x256 then you won't be able to see it in the preview window. Line spacing is also configured for AC3's two styles, big and small text, so you might need to adjust spacing for your desired game with GIMP or Photoshop. If I were you I'd try and see how much mileage you can get out of it.

STARWIN

• View Profile
« Reply #333 on: November 12, 2017, 09:29:53 pm »
167275 is 28D6B in hex, so you could try searching for 6B 8D 02 00. Check both executables and if it seems to be a rare value, you can even search from the whole cd image.

IIRC audio sectors have no metadata like sector headers or checksums at all, just pure data. edit: *sigh*, at least in some cases, probably not here. it is easy to see anyway, if it ever matters.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 09:43:15 pm by STARWIN »

DragonSpikeXIII

• Team NEMO
    • View Profile
    • Project NEMO
« Reply #334 on: November 13, 2017, 11:45:42 am »
Thank you for the hex value, I looked for it in the exe and image files but found nothing. It seems that my line of thought was wrong and that this isn't about a simple hex value. And to think that the music track is already there in the files, going unused. Real shame.

weissvulf

• View Profile
« Reply #335 on: November 13, 2017, 12:22:37 pm »
Thanks for the info on the text editor. I'll check it out in depth when I get some time to set up Java.

I looked at the Ace3ES disk and they don't use audio in a separate uncompressed 'redbook' track like some PS1 games. Instead it seems they use interleaved XA Mode 2 format. I'm guessing compressed ADPCM since jPSXdec lists overlapping sectors for many tracks. As such, I doubt the method I mentioned earlier will be any help. The game's loader function would probably have to be passed a lot more info than 'music start sector'.

I wish you luck though. If you do figure it out, please share!  :)

DragonSpikeXIII

• Team NEMO
    • View Profile
    • Project NEMO
« Reply #336 on: November 13, 2017, 01:07:16 pm »
Thank you for correcting me. I got a bit ahead of myself but, you know, there USED to be a time when my guesses were right, years ago. :P

I actually did read documentation assembled for the PSX and the SPU so I might be able to do something about it. Of course, if someone who's had experience with this sort of thing wants to help out with the music, then I'm.. huh... all ears (pun not intended, I swear :D). I don't want to give up and I want this to happen but I'm so swamped with translation work that I think the best course of action will be to put the music deal on the back-burner for a while.

Changing subjects, if you want some support on the usage of AC3 fan-translation tools, don't be a stranger and shoot me a PM anytime. I just wish Dashman were here, I think he could have made you a custom version to your specifications real fast.

weissvulf

• View Profile
« Reply #337 on: November 29, 2017, 06:13:26 pm »
DragonSpikeXIII, are you still working on end-game credits in TIM format as stated in the help-wanted ad? If so, can you describe the issue a bit? I have a tool that needs testing and this might be a suitable case.  :)

DragonSpikeXIII

• Team NEMO
    • View Profile
    • Project NEMO
« Reply #338 on: November 29, 2017, 08:52:47 pm »
Yes, I'm still working on it but haven't made any progress on the technical side, just the translation.

There are a few issues, the first of which is I don't have a tool to get an actual file out of the game image. This is because the credits are stored as uncompressed images and we never made any tools for that, just ULZ-compressed files. I know where they are on the disc, I just don't have actual folders or files. That's the first problem to solve.

The second issue is that because they're TIM, they're likely using palettes. If they do, then that too must be decoded in order to edit the images and re-insert them.

This should be it as far as issues go. Is there anything specific that you need to know before trying your tool? I can look around my files to see if there's any more information that might be usable.

weissvulf

• View Profile
« Reply #339 on: November 29, 2017, 09:33:15 pm »
I get it. If they are just standard TIMs, there are several very good (TIMviewer etc) tools for extracting/inserting/converting them.

My tool was specifically designed to extract/insert non-standard PS1 images, that is PS1 image data which doesn't necessarily have a standard TIM header or dimensions. I'm adding a TIM<>BMP converter which is theoretically partly function.

If a regular TIM scanning tool doesn't find your images, it might be worth trying my tool. Can you tell me the location of one such image? I'll check it out if you'd like.