News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: [PS1]Ace Combat 3 Electrosphere: text replacement (next ver. coming soon)  (Read 103591 times)

Dashman

• View Profile
Re: ACE COMBAT 3 electrosphere: text replacement (Jp->En) UPDATED
« Reply #60 on: February 20, 2014, 06:57:50 am »
Well, that's really weird... If there was an entry for each of the kana symbols it would make some sort of sense, but only one repeated over and over...? Maybe it's just junk data?

Anyway, if it's not shown in the game, I guess you can ignore it for the time being. Do me a favour and try reinserting the TIM with the corrected header I sent you some posts ago. It doesn't need to replace the original TIM, just one with the same size that you know will show up at a point that you can easily reach in-game (don't forget to make a backup!). If it works I'll see if I can make a little program to fix headers of the edited TIMs.

DrMefistO

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 20, 2014, 07:44:56 am »
If your TIM became bigger size after exproting from Photoshop, it means than you have selected wrong bitmode when did it.

DragonSpikeXIII

• Team NEMO
    • View Profile
    • Project NEMO
« Reply #62 on: February 20, 2014, 08:00:06 am »
Well, that's really weird... If there was an entry for each of the kana symbols it would make some sort of sense, but only one repeated over and over...? Maybe it's just junk data?

Anyway, if it's not shown in the game, I guess you can ignore it for the time being. Do me a favour and try reinserting the TIM with the corrected header I sent you some posts ago. It doesn't need to replace the original TIM, just one with the same size that you know will show up at a point that you can easily reach in-game (don't forget to make a backup!). If it works I'll see if I can make a little program to fix headers of the edited TIMs.

Alright, I found only one image of the same size and replaced it with your test tim. While the original was replaced with an image that belongs somewhere else, this is the first time the game has had something altered and actually showed it on screen. Definitely a sign we have to mind the headers.

If your TIM became bigger size after exproting from Photoshop, it means than you have selected wrong bitmode when did it.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind!

Dashman

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 20, 2014, 08:43:33 am »
Hm... That's not exactly the result I was expecting but it's something, I guess.

Now replace the same texture with this and see what happens:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/144016034/0000-test03.tim

(this one has the exact same header as the original 0000.tim)

DragonSpikeXIII

• Team NEMO
    • View Profile
    • Project NEMO
« Reply #64 on: February 20, 2014, 09:08:54 am »

The text displayed is actually text from this mission itself (!). First few lines are this mission's briefing followed by dialogue from a short cut-scene in the middle of the mission.

Kinda unexpected (for me at least) since the TIM you gave me was an English translation, and none of that appeared during this test.

What do you think, Dashman, is this good or bad for us?

Dashman

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 20, 2014, 09:46:32 am »
Well, it's definitely better than the previous one.

From this result, I take the header contains some sort of pointers that can't be changed. In this case, you replaced a random TIM with another one, so the pointers in it are wrong (they point to another piece of text in the VRAM... I think). If you replaced the original 0000.tim with the edited one, it *should* show the translated text. The other way around should work as well, if you gave the edited 0000-test03.tim the header of whatever tim file you replaced (and then replaced it with the new 0000-test03.tim), the game *should* show its text in that scene.

This is all theory with a bit of wishful thinking, feel free to make some tests. I'll see if I can get you a "header fixer" for today.

EDIT:

And here it is:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/144016034/AC3%20Header%20Replacer%20v1.0.zip

Command line, supports batches and all that stuff. All you need to know in the readme file.

Remember, this is meant to fix the TIM files created after the edited BMP files. The process goes like this:

1) Dump TIM from ISO
2) Extract 4-bit BMP from TIM
3) Edit BMP with the text editor
4) Create TIM from edited BMP (I used TimViewer last time, not sure how you'll make it)
5) Create final TIM with the program using the original TIM and the edited TIM

I hope that was clear enough. Let me know if there's any issues, like the program randomly playing Macarena or something like that.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 07:24:33 pm by Dashman »

DragonSpikeXIII

• Team NEMO
    • View Profile
    • Project NEMO
[PS1]ACE COMBAT 3 electrosphere: text replacement (Jp->En)
« Reply #66 on: March 03, 2014, 05:43:55 pm »
Hello everyone, I'm sorry for the delay but here I am to give a you all a report on the current happenings.

First of all, I gotta say last week was one hell of a busy week working on this game. From blog posts, to video editing, to my first jp->en translation attempt to this game's ongoing effort... there was a lot going on, which ended up in a big headache early on today but I'm better now, thx :)

So what I have is most missions for the first path, which means Keith-Ending A. I say almost all because some missions are optional and my aim was to race to the end so as to have a more-or-less fully playable path. I'll get on the rest this week. Further more, while briefings/debriefings and pre-/post- mission dialogue are all there, I still haven't seen some short sections of text, I'll get on that later but it shouldn't be anything to worry about.

I haven't performed any implementation tests but I have your program and I've read your comprehensive readme. I'll try that some time this week for sure.

Moving on, during my so-called "race to the end-game" I went ahead and tried asking for help to get the game's full credits translated, as U.S./PAL releases are incomplete as people responsible for the material that got cut out obviously were left out of the credits. As the task proved maybe a little too daunting no one really volunteered so I went ahead and did it myself. Thanks to Dashman for the tip and thanks to a few verey handy online resources I was able to get every name in English, only a couple leaving me a little unsure, but hey, I'm ready for anyone knowleadgeable to rip on my attempt! :)

Anyone interested in the game or just curious can see the game's original credits in Japanese AND English right herehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AU9GyWGfss

Last but not least, I've also made a few new AC3-themed videos that are available to my channel here -> https://www.youtube.com/user/DragonSpikeXIII They've been getting a good response from the Japanese fanbase over at nicovideo, so maybe check 'em out, or maybe not, anyway don't worry I'm always working on this game's translation one way or another.

Dashman

• View Profile
Re: [PS1]ACE COMBAT 3: text replacement (Jp->En)
« Reply #67 on: March 03, 2014, 07:27:10 pm »
Good to see everything is going well. Still crossing my fingers for the insertion tests. Don't worry about "delays", this is your project and only you can set your own deadlines! (if any)

DragonSpikeXIII

• Team NEMO
    • View Profile
    • Project NEMO
« Reply #68 on: March 07, 2014, 01:32:28 pm »
New post, new news

I've followed your instructions, Dashman, and your program works perfectly! And was also easy to use.

I've been performing a few tests on the same scene with different files. My latest attempt was to translate the monologue from that very scene but all I got was the briefing, this time as white on black without any kind of graphical corruption other than a split second before it starts, so it "looks" right this time but after a while you notice it's not what the character is saying.

I find this weird, these tests wouldn't be possible without correcting the headers because the file size wouldn't be equal, but even so I still got the same old briefing.

I'll see what else I can try with what I have right away, I'm THIS close to getting this scene in English.

UPDATE: no success, could be because the image I'm testing is an indexed one. There are a few other images I can test, which aren't indexed, maybe I should try those instead.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 08:16:07 pm by DragonSpikeXIII »

Dashman

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 07, 2014, 08:25:25 pm »
It displays translated text but the wrong one...? :huh:

Maybe I messed up and the headers are being copied wrong. After fixing the headers, compare some random originals with their fixed counterparts in hex (used a hex editor for this) and make sure the headers are the same (the first 52 bytes if it has one CLUT, 84 if it has 2). Also check in TimViewer if the edited TIMs contain what they should.

If all of that is correct, well, I have no idea. Perhaps the image content determines the TIM position in memory or something like that (but that would be really weird). Let's hope it's just that I broke something, otherwise you'll need somebody else's help :-\

DragonSpikeXIII

• Team NEMO
    • View Profile
    • Project NEMO
« Reply #70 on: March 07, 2014, 08:50:49 pm »
I've just checked the original and edited TIMs I was testing today and I can tell you the first five lines are identical, that should be the headers. The CLUT was also only one, which is correct.

I can confirm 100% that the text wasn't the one from either the original or the edited images, it was the briefing except this time the colors were the ones used by the TIM that plays during the cut-scene. This means no English text whatsoever, which is really what I'm trying to achieve this time.

I really should find another cut-scene to test, I still have a few files I can choose from (all of which without index), all I need is some time to find the missions where they are displayed.

Put your heart at ease for now, I may have picked a case that is the exception rather than the rule.

UPDATE: just found a perfect one test out, getting on it right now

UPDATE2: looks like I was right, let's forget about that other scene I was testing for now, this one works! First successful replacement! Also good is how there are other 5-6 images readily available just like this one. Your program works, buddy!

« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 10:46:41 pm by DragonSpikeXIII »

Dashman

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 08, 2014, 05:55:30 am »
 :woot!:

Today is a good day indeed! :)

By the way, for that conflictive scene, try replacing the briefing textures as well and see what happens. The graphical glitch you mentioned that happened for a split second at the beginning might mean that the one texture it's trying to access has a problem and somehow skips to the next one (the one with the breafing stuff?). It would be a matter of finding out what went wrong.

What's a "Dision", by the way?

DragonSpikeXIII

• Team NEMO
    • View Profile
    • Project NEMO
« Reply #72 on: March 08, 2014, 10:16:40 am »
[Abyssal] Dision is the name of character in the game. Pretty uncommon name, I know :)

Regarding that other infamous scene, you're probably right about it trying to access the texture as I had inserted an un-indexed image where there should be an image with a 1-2 index. Why they did this for just that scene baffles me, they could have upped the vertical resolution and inserted the 5-6 lines from layer 2 on the first one and be done with it....

By the way, I really hate to sound like a broken record but I still can't replace anything beyond these few examples, including briefings. The reason for this is I just don't have a program that can see/show where the rest of images are (timview+ and jPSXdec can't)

esperknight had coded the decompressor that extracted this material, I think we need something that can do it the other way around now.

Bob Liu

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 08, 2014, 04:13:38 pm »
Glad to see your making progress, eagerly awaiting to see more but take your time.

Dashman

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 08, 2014, 06:55:48 pm »
... I had inserted an un-indexed image where there should be an image with a 1-2 index.
Oh wait, that's right, there are TIM files that have text written in several layers... How does that even work? Can you edit the second layer in any of the other programs to put a BMP file on that? Please, post the original of the one TIM giving trouble, I'd like to see how it looks like inside.

DragonSpikeXIII

• Team NEMO
    • View Profile
    • Project NEMO
« Reply #75 on: March 08, 2014, 07:14:25 pm »
Oh wait, that's right, there are TIM files that have text written in several layers... How does that even work? Can you edit the second layer in any of the other programs to put a BMP file on that? Please, post the original of the one TIM giving trouble, I'd like to see how it looks like inside.

You got it, here's the little bastard in untouched 4-bit BMP form:

From what I've seen with timview+ all the BPB text images, meaning 99% of the raw text material, has two layers but the second is BLANK, background color only. Just thought it was worth throwing out there, just in case.

Both layers are editable without hassles, I'll see what I can do about putting them together again.

EDIT: dammit, I forgot to load the TIM, sorry about that, here it is: http://www.mediafire.com/download/eqomfrfzfyxmndi/ACE3ES1.bin_15_G_4c.tim
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 10:05:32 pm by DragonSpikeXIII »

Dashman

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 09, 2014, 07:05:58 am »
Well, this is interesting. The indexes you mentioned are actually the CLUTs. When you choose to use index 1, you're using the first CLUT / pallete, if you choose 2, the second. Check the CLUT tab and you'll see the colours are arranged in a different way.

This makes for a rather funny trick: both sets of text are contained in the same image, the difference being that each one uses a different pallete. The first one will most probably use the first 4 colours (which show as black in the second palette) and the second one will use colours 1, 5, 9 and 13 (those are black in the first palette). If you check the "random" next to "generate pallete", you'll be able to see all the text at the same time (in garbled colours).

The problem now is... how do we reproduce that trick?

DragonSpikeXIII

• Team NEMO
    • View Profile
    • Project NEMO
« Reply #77 on: March 09, 2014, 11:58:42 am »
So the plot thickens...

I've checked the other text images, and they work pretty much the same way. I've also found a lot of text images that actually had text on the second palette as well, so not all have a blank second palette as I initially thought.

I'm working on the other images that have no second palette, one of them is the game's first intro scene and a couple are endings d and e, all of which I've already translated though I'll have to test the endings tonight.

So I guess we're gonna have to treat these images as one, I'm not sure if this is technically sound but maybe if we had the ac3 text editor write with one set of colors/CLUT and then on the second pass for the second palette write over the previous text with the same colors for text/background except with different CLUT data.

Maybe we would need to edit the CLUT afterwards with another program for this to happen, but this is just a guess.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 12:09:46 pm by DragonSpikeXIII »

Dashman

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 09, 2014, 12:43:39 pm »
I think I could add a check button to the UI that would make the program use what should be the secondary palette. This way you could produce a BMP with the first image using the first CLUT and another image using the second one.

I'm guessing that it's possible to pull off the trick by simply merging the image data with an AND operation, but that still needs to be tested.

The process would go like:

1) Create the two BMP files, each one with a different palette.
2) Convert those two BMP files into TIM files with a single CLUT each.
3) Use a new tool to merge those two TIM files into one that has all the image data and the two CLUTs.
4) Fix the header of that TIM file with the other program (the size would be ok, but there would be some wrong data in the header).

Then the TIM would be ready for reinsertion.

I have a little doubt though, do all files you've encountered with text on the second CLUT use the same palettes? That is, all of those are white text on black or there are other colours as well?

DragonSpikeXIII

• Team NEMO
    • View Profile
    • Project NEMO
« Reply #79 on: March 09, 2014, 12:59:54 pm »
There are about a handful of cases. Here's a list of the ones I've confirmed:

1) Briefing, black on white(cream) with a second BLANK (meaning background only) palette

2) Debrefing, black on blue(teal) with a second BLANK palette that is black(don't know why iit's not blue)only.

3)  Dialogue portions, meaning black on white like Briefings, but most of the ones I've checked have different text on palette 2.

4) Black on white in BIG font just like the ones above, some of these have a second palette that would overlap with palette 1 (like the TIM I just gave you), but some have just one line that wouldn't overlap at all with palette 1, just an additional line of dialogue.

I've checked the CLUTs for these and they have different configurations than what we've seen until now: some are slightly different, one color in place of another, some are more like that TIM, with fewer colors. I'll give you more details as I investigate, shouldn't take long.

EDIT: here's a RAR with some images showing four types of CLUT configurations. Only 3 pairs beause I've cheked and the dialogue images are identical to the briefing ones, both clut 1 and clut 2. http://www.mediafire.com/download/9qh5smk9g0qh390/CLUT_types.rar

Images are organized as follows: 01 palette 1, 02 palette 2, 03 CLUT 1, 04 CLUT 2, and so on. Three pairs, 01, 001 and 0001.

Hope this is comprehensive enough, if you need anything else just ask.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 07:01:30 pm by DragonSpikeXIII »