After having played all the missions in Disc 1 and achieved both the Electrosphere (A) and Geopelia (B) endings, I can confirm that the International Edition Disc 1 1.0 patch works properly. First and foremost, I would like to express sincere appreciation and gratitude to DragonSpikeXIII and the rest of Project Nemo team for all the works they did the past years (been following you guys from the start back in 2009). Secondly, having spent an adequate amount of time testing both the patching process and its result after, I am going to list all that I have found so far in hope of offering a workable solution to anyone that is still stuck with some bug or exception preventing them from enjoying this translation.
1. About Ripping SLPS 02020/1:
- To ensure smooth caching and streaming between the motherboard's northbridge to your IDE/SATA controller to which your optical drive is connected to, make sure you have the most up-to-date chipset drivers of your respective motherboard chipset. By having the most up-to date drivers for this case, it will ensure your ripping process to be as smooth as possible.
Note: This is especially important to Intel chipset boards, which started implementing independent IDE/SATA controllers since late 2008, necessitating the use of the respective Intel Rapid Storage Technology (RST) driver for them to function the way they should. Depending on when your chipset was manufactured, the controllers will only be compatible with a certain driver major version that is compatible for that chipset. For example: Intel 5 series (P55, H55, H57, etc.), circa 2009, is compatible with version 10 or below; Intel 6 series is v11, Intel 7 and 8 are v12 and Intel 9 is v13.
- Due to the way PlayStation CD format works, it is recommended to rip your SLPS 02020/1 game discs first into the CloneCD format (.img/.ccd/.sub) as the original disc image to ensure your ripped image has the most redundant CRC and data integrity as possible, suitable to be the original version for storage and working on. Afterward, you can then convert them into bin/cue as required.
2. About Patching:
- Open a Command Prompt/Windows PowerShell at the location of your patch folder and run the batch process from there to ensure you are able to monitor each step of the patching process and know when something goes wrong to take action. This is especially important in anticipating whether your ripped image was created properly, as the tools will refuse to patch your image if they encounter mismatched checksum with the image file (the error and status messages of the tools are in Italian since the tools being used are from ROMhacking.net, and it would be nice to have them in English to facilitate smoother communication for debugging).
3. About Playing:
- For the most part, having played it through various emulators (with most game time and completion on ePSXe 1.9.1), I can confirm that the patched game functions normally as it should throughout. However, I did encounter emulator crash after the Namco logo through one particular setting: texture scaling. It seems that if high texture scaling is used, it will overflow the emulated cache right when the game starts loading after the Namco logo, crashing the emulator (this might be because the game was made late in the PlayStation life-cycle and used all of its capacity). As such, if your emulator's graphic plug-in supports texture scaling, runs it as low as possible or disable it entirely (this of course comes at the cost of not having high-resolution texture for nowadays' displays, making graphics less-than-ideal).
I will keep looking out for any additional exception related to this patch. Hopefully the above information can be of help to everyone!