News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: [PS1]Ace Combat 3 Electrosphere: text replacement (next ver. coming soon)  (Read 109029 times)

Sirius-R

• View Profile
Re: [PS1]ACE COMBAT 3: text replacement (Jpn.->Eng.)
« Reply #180 on: February 27, 2015, 12:32:55 am »
I wish I could include proper TIMs from U.S. version but we don't have access to that version's files. I took a screenshot of it, I don't know if it'll help but it's all I can do: http://tinyurl.com/nbj65qs
I've found a less blurry screenshot, so don't worry.
Just as I expected, those textures are twice narrower than they are displayed in the game. Now I only have to cut the US circle in same pieces and save them as TIMs.
Also, disregard what I said regarding alpha channel in my previous post - white/cream white areas, after a closer look at the screenshot, turned out to be 100% opaque, and the only transparent color in the palette turned out to be the #000000 (the black border on the screenshot is separate from the circle textures).

upd: Done!
http://www.filedropper.com/armorystatstranslated
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 01:32:16 am by Sirius-R »

DragonSpikeXIII

• Team NEMO
    • View Profile
    • Project NEMO
« Reply #181 on: February 27, 2015, 02:10:11 am »
Wow Sirius-R, your edit blows mine out of the water, great job! Here is a screenshot with your edits in-game:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Sbyqhfr6jmJvt5-IyGTthsr0_mR_53pil6p8p70inBg?feat=directlink

There's only one thing that I forgot to mention. Due to limited room, I had to borrow"Armor" to replace "Damage Tolerance" at the left side of the screen and as a result I had to use Defense for the pentagon. The two don't always match (i.e. first two planes) so using different terms for them would be best. Could you make a Defense version of TIMs 0139 and 0140?

Here's a screen at full resolution: https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-sokl0YDjHTY/VPAVhbp3jkI/AAAAAAAAGVg/aZsG374q2Oc/s1280/PAL.jpg

Thanks again, this part was pretty time-consuming for me and I was never going to get this kind of result  :thumbsup:

Sirius-R

• View Profile
« Reply #182 on: February 27, 2015, 05:43:07 am »
http://www.filedropper.com/defense

Next time you make me a screenshot, please, turn off the blur.

DragonSpikeXIII

• Team NEMO
    • View Profile
    • Project NEMO
« Reply #183 on: February 27, 2015, 06:11:00 am »
Thanks man, I took a little longer to test it but here's how it looks in-game: https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-P9HlhA-cdEQ/VPBPGu1RuEI/AAAAAAAAGWA/wMxtmmtnL7M/s1280/final_test_by_sirius-r.jpg

I checked my video settings and I noticed I turned the filtering off so that must be the reason for the blurriness. I got so used to it so I didn't think it could be a problem. I turned it on now and I'll keep this in mind in the future.

By the way, good luck on your NFS4 project, a full edition sounds pretty cool, I'll be following your progress!

Sirius-R

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: February 27, 2015, 07:17:57 am »
Can you make tha screenshot of PAL version again, without blur? I don't really like how these two textures turned out (being a perfectionist is PITA) and, besides that, 1039 seems to be somehow damaged - the text wasn't supposed to look like that, so I'd like to try again.

P.S.: Wish me luck on TNFS and TD2 researching - that's what I'm actually doing right now, but not announcing due to null actual progress.

DragonSpikeXIII

• Team NEMO
    • View Profile
    • Project NEMO
« Reply #185 on: February 27, 2015, 03:23:17 pm »
Just woke up, here's two screenshots of the PAL version, one taken with XEBRA with filtering on and the other with ePSXe. You'll notice a few differences, in aliasing and colors so feel free to use the one you consider the best.

XEBRA (filt. on): https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-nFROHJqw3P0/VPDQwPRblRI/AAAAAAAAGWQ/Nda38jCjI3w/s1280/PAL.png

ePSXe: https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-iMIfd2c0ojY/VPDQxl2xkPI/AAAAAAAAGWY/00KEpji3068/s1280/PSOGL2_001.png

Sirius-R

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: March 01, 2015, 11:02:10 am »
By the way, has anybody found the way to unpack the game's SPB file? I'd really like to take a direct look at game's textures' and meshes' files. Besides, I'm desperately looking for the way to rip the R-101 Delphinus's mesh out of the game...

DragonSpikeXIII

• Team NEMO
    • View Profile
    • Project NEMO
« Reply #187 on: March 01, 2015, 04:28:37 pm »
By the way, has anybody found the way to unpack the game's SPB file? I'd really like to take a direct look at game's textures' and meshes' files. Besides, I'm desperately looking for the way to rip the R-101 Delphinus's mesh out of the game...

We never tried unpacking the SPB, which if I had to guess has all the 3D assets, since the files we need to translate were all in the BPB but I'd be all for it if someone were to give it a try. Maybe the information and data left by esperknight here could be of help with the SPB, shooting in the dark here.

But in regards to the aircraft textures, since they're all 2D files, they're in the BPB and thanks to esperknight's unpacking and decompression they're all accessible, or at least most of them I haven't checked every single one. Here's a link to the R101 texture file, viewable with TimViewer+ or Tim2View made by Lab313: http://www.mediafire.com/download/88cu6ywltykpt02/0002.bin

Sirius-R

• View Profile
« Reply #188 on: March 01, 2015, 11:12:24 pm »
Thanks.
Still, I think you'll have to unpack the SPB, as I failed to copy the file from the disc due to "incorrect MS-DOS function" - a sure sign that video files are in there. You're going to translate the videos sooner or later, right?
I'd also say that SPB only contains videos, but then why the hell the export versions' SPBs are as large as Japanese's?..

Also, I'd like to know if a properly functioning ULZ unpacker is done - I think the planes' models may be in BPB as well, but thrown off by you as "not textures, thus irrelevant". I've got esperknight's cs files, but one unpacker only unpacks ULZs since folder 0112 (which is a bit away from the target 0080 folder), the other one crashes.

DragonSpikeXIII

• Team NEMO
    • View Profile
    • Project NEMO
« Reply #189 on: March 01, 2015, 11:40:02 pm »
I can't say for sure what is in the SPB but thanks to jPSXdec I actually saw a lot of videos outside of both the BPB and SPB and even a few select TIM files.

The guys at jPSXdec have been improving their program for AC3 since last year so now it reads and shows a boatload of audio and video files. This helped identify whether the videos in the game were soft or hard-subbed and thankfully the cut-scenes are soft-subbed.  You can see some already translated cut-scenes here, all real in-game footage, not proof-of-concept.

I can't really help with the technical details of the unpacking or decompressing since I'm mostly doing the editing for this fan-translation. That particular unpacker may be outdated since I remember esperknight adjusting his settings more than once in order to extract the files we needed. It wasn't easy but we have what we need to go forward so we're good for now.

Did you have any luck with those TIMs for the armory?

Sirius-R

• View Profile
« Reply #190 on: March 01, 2015, 11:51:36 pm »
I was going to resume my work on armory stats text once I get the Delphinus's mesh and its Neucom and UPEO textures, but it seems that I'm pretty far from getting the mesh, so I'll send you the 0139 and 0140 TIMs within an hour. I'd also like R-101U's texture as well, as, um, a reward for the "circle"...

DragonSpikeXIII

• Team NEMO
    • View Profile
    • Project NEMO
« Reply #191 on: March 02, 2015, 12:05:36 am »
Hehe no problem, I just sent you the link via PM so check your inbox.

Now for a general update on the project, here's screenshots of the first Search files translated, thanks to Seihen for his translation!

Rena's Biography 01: https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-jxICGIZySEo/VPFSQPwDMxI/AAAAAAAAGW8/bJ6fDuLr4qA/s1280/search_rena01.png

Rena's Biography 02: https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-2UEqtrVCRIU/VPFSQ5PCMpI/AAAAAAAAGXA/4NpvScvbzzU/s1280/search_rena02.png

Sirius-R

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: March 02, 2015, 12:22:14 am »
Looks good so far.

I'd also like to know  if there's any way to expand the range of letters from 26 (English alphabet) to 33 (Russian alphabet) - I may do the Russian translation once the main translation's over.

DragonSpikeXIII

• Team NEMO
    • View Profile
    • Project NEMO
« Reply #193 on: March 02, 2015, 01:09:50 am »
Since they game stores text as images we never looked into this matter. I know there are two images with text on them, which I think is where the game gets the letters from when starting the game. Whether this table is expandable or not remains to be seen.

Other than that, the remaining 99% of the game uses images instead of looking for its own internal font so there's no such issue there.

Sirius-R

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: March 02, 2015, 01:22:17 am »
That's great. That's gonna make the translation much easier. Here, only PAL version was translated "properly" (y'know, you don't expect a good translation of PS1 game if you live in Russian - there, the job's done by pirates, for whom quality doesn't matter); the only Japanese version translated to Russian lacked 2nd disc (sic!), making the game playable only by half.

DragonSpikeXIII

• Team NEMO
    • View Profile
    • Project NEMO
« Reply #195 on: March 02, 2015, 01:37:36 am »
Ah good to know that was the answer you were looking for. Those devs at Namco really did a great job.

Here's a screenshot of how the main Armory screen looks like:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-frLsN7WnaCs/VPQCnOQE30I/AAAAAAAAGf4/UzGnFMXNZ18/s1280/final_test_by_sirius-r.jpg

I forgot to take pictures of the second screen but I had no problems with it so the Armory is now done!

In other news, I tried to edit the blue menu that comes up after the title screen but no luck, it appears the TIM with all the blue menu text is just a dummy or something else.

Now I'm beginning to think THAT and the TIM for the title screen may be outside of the BPB altogether. This because I noticed that whenever I did something really wrong with the BPB the game would be fine until I started or loaded a game but then it would  always lock up during the "inset company name here" loading screen. I'm almost completely sure of this but I have no way to know 100% right now. This means that all those interface phrases in blue are off-limits for the time being. It's a shame but I hope to get back to these later on.

Sirius-R

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: March 02, 2015, 10:47:58 pm »
I can't say for sure what is in the SPB but thanks to jPSXdec I actually saw a lot of videos outside of both the BPB and SPB and even a few select TIM files.

Just checked the game with the latest jPSXdec (as they claim on their site, it's the freshiest version), haven't found anything outside the SPB except the textures. Same for export versions.

Funnily, US and EU version have some voiceless cutscenes from Jap version (two "demo" cutscenes, one of them lists all the characters from Jap version of the game - it's not present in EU version though, and the scene with Night Raven blowing up a city)

DragonSpikeXIII

• Team NEMO
    • View Profile
    • Project NEMO
« Reply #197 on: March 02, 2015, 11:13:44 pm »
It's been a while since the last time I took a peek inside but yea, my bad, the audio and video files are actually INSIDE the SPB.

Sirius-R

• View Profile
« Reply #198 on: March 03, 2015, 01:51:52 am »
Honestly, I think there's nothing inside the SPB file aside of videos and music. Back then in 90s, they took the most of games' space; thus, unpacking of SPB can be delayed until we can start dubbing the cutscenes.

DragonSpikeXIII

• Team NEMO
    • View Profile
    • Project NEMO
« Reply #199 on: April 01, 2015, 06:05:48 pm »
An update on the current status of our AC3E fan-translation project has just been published here.