News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: A Couple of Atlas Questions  (Read 1493 times)

RType88

• View Profile
A Couple of Atlas Questions
« on: January 28, 2020, 01:55:18 am »
Hi all!

I recently restarted a project after taking the time to figure out Atlas, and it has MASSIVELY streamlined my workflow. Huge thanks to the people that helped me out with it!

A couple of questions though - these may have simple answers but I did search both and couldn't find anyone else mentioning them!

First, is there a way to have Atlas reuse pointer values where text strings are identical? This might be a bit of a specific case for the game I'm translating, but some pointers have identical values that point them both to the same text - however, when you dump these with Cartographer and reinsert them with Atlas, Atlas will create new text strings for both entries and assign each pointer individually. Other than removing the pointers from the script and doing this manually, is there a way to have Atlas recognise duplicate text strings and reuse pointers? For example, where the original may read

A1A1, A1A1
(Text A1A1 points to) HELLO

Reinserting with Atlas will give you
A1A1, B1B1
Text B1B1 points to) HELLO

Secondly, the debug files that Atlas dumps are very useful...except for some reason, mine always duplicate the first text entry I've inserted. They will insert correctly into the game, but the debug file makes it look like it's reinserted the same string over and over, like such:

22 W16       ScriptPos $DC38 PointerPos $D989 PointerValue $9C27
IT'S RINA'S<LINE>TURN![textheart]<END>
    30 W16       ScriptPos $DC48 PointerPos $D98B PointerValue $9C37
    38 W16       ScriptPos $DC59 PointerPos $D98D PointerValue $9C48

Any ideas on how I can get the debug files to correctly display the text that's been inserted?

Thank you very much for your help!

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
Re: A Couple of Atlas Questions
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2020, 11:27:07 am »
Other than removing the pointers from the script and doing this manually, is there a way to have Atlas recognise duplicate text strings and reuse pointers? For example, where the original may read

A1A1, A1A1

Reinserting with Atlas will give you
A1A1, B1B1
Text B1B1 points to) HELLO

You'll have to tweak the text file, but it should be something as simple as changing
//[$1268D9]
#EMBWRITE($0000D6)
//Gクルーザー<end>
G-Cruiser<end>

//[$1268E0]
#EMBWRITE($0000DC)
//Gクルーザー<end>
G-Cruiser<end>

to

//[$1268D9]
#EMBWRITE($0000D6)
#EMBWRITE($0000DC)
//Gクルーザー<end>
G-Cruiser<end>

Secondly, the debug files that Atlas dumps are very useful...except for some reason, mine always duplicate the first text entry I've inserted. They will insert correctly into the game, but the debug file makes it look like it's reinserted the same string over and over, like such:

22 W16       ScriptPos $DC38 PointerPos $D989 PointerValue $9C27
    30 W16       ScriptPos $DC48 PointerPos $D98B PointerValue $9C37
    38 W16       ScriptPos $DC59 PointerPos $D98D PointerValue $9C48

Any ideas on how I can get the debug files to correctly display the text that's been inserted?

Thank you very much for your help!

Not sure about this; it does look like you're inserting the same thing three times? The script pos, pointer pos, pointer value are all changing consistently.

RType88

• View Profile
Re: A Couple of Atlas Questions
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2020, 07:54:42 am »
You'll have to tweak the text file, but it should be something as simple as changing
//[$1268D9]
#EMBWRITE($0000D6)
//%uFF27%u30AF%u30EB%u30FC%u30B6%u30FC<end>
G-Cruiser<end>

//[$1268E0]
#EMBWRITE($0000DC)
G-Cruiser<end>

to

//[$1268D9]
#EMBWRITE($0000D6)
#EMBWRITE($0000DC)
G-Cruiser<end>

Ugh, this is such an elegantly simple solution, I'm annoyed at myself for not thinking of it. Thank you very much for your help!

As for the debug log, no idea why it outputs that way. It's definitely writing different strings as instructed, so it's just the debug log itself that is out of whack!