News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Is there a list of untranslated Japanese Sega Saturn games?  (Read 1424 times)

John Enigma

• View Profile
Is there a list of untranslated Japanese Sega Saturn games?
« on: October 06, 2018, 10:11:39 pm »
So far, I've seen on this site several lists about Japanese games that have yet to be translated. From Psyklax's list in which the plans is to translate the earliest Famicom games, another list from Psyklax in which the plan is to translate every known Japanese (and to a lesser extent, Brazilian & other non-Japanese languages) SMS game, Goldenband's list of untranslated SG-1000 games, and of course, most recently, Filler's list of untranslated Japanese Sega Game Games.

There are also other people's lists of games that they want to translate.

However, I don't see a list of untranslated Sega Saturn games. And it's kinda sad, 'cause yeah, everybody knows that in the US the Sega Saturn wasn't that popular during the time (it had a PS Vita moment), it was more expensive than the PlayStation, the emulation of the console is shoddy to this day, and there's little to absolutely no documentation whatsoever of the console.

But guess what? More than 20 years have passed, and suddenly Saturn emulation is slowly starting to pick up traction, documentation is somehow still there, and a guy managed to bypass the CD DRM of the Saturn games. The Saturn Emulation Era is almost here, or is here and we didn't even notice it.

Again, as I said before, there isn't a list of untranslated Saturn games in here, or anywhere else for that matter. (I don't even know if there are any Saturn hacking scenes on the Internet.)

It would be nice to have one, considering that Sega Saturn had their fair share of PS1 ports: Grandia I, Lunar: Silver Star Complete, Lunar: Eternal Blue Complete, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, between others.

People might be reminding everybody, "but those are already on PS1", and I'd say "Yes, I know.", but what if those ports are updated than the PS1 ports? What if those ports are more definitive than the others? Think about it.

As far as I know, Romhacking.net's list of translated Sega Saturn games, two are still unfinished: Langrisser III, and Ninpen Manmaru (one of Sega Saturn's few 3D platform games). It would be nice if they got finished someday.

In fact, it would be great to see a list of Saturn games that need to be translated. God knows who's willing to translate Shining Force III's Scenario II & Scenario III.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 11:27:41 pm by John Enigma »

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
Re: Is there a list of untranslated Japanese Sega Saturn games?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2018, 02:11:57 am »
You know who compiled Psyklax's list of early Famicom and Master System games? I did! :) So if you want a list of untranslated Saturn games, go right ahead!

Go to Redump.org, get the list of Saturn games, eliminate the non-Japanese ones, then tick off the ones that have translations. My guess is that you can count them on one hand, though, which might explain why nobody's gone this route. Anything beyond 16-bit has very few translations.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2018, 02:42:09 am »
Saturn probably the most Japanese-exclusives of the Sega consoles (well, I'd imagine there's a number of Dreamcast games as well), but I think it was the Sega console with the worldwide popularity distribution most tipped towards Japanese.

But the reason there's probably only a few translations is that there's comparatively few on post 16-bit consoles (well, maybe more on DS I suppose if it were easy enough to hack stuff with tool usage.
But when it comes to needing to rip game content the hard way, 8/16 bit seems to be the generations most people have skills at.)
That especially goes for such an uncharted console as the Saturn.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2018, 02:56:30 am »
The whole ordeal is :banghead:. Too many games got official translations on other systems, that Saturn missed out.
A few of which even left in the programming to do so. (Soukyugurentai has a mangled English mode)

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2018, 10:23:19 am »
"snip"
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 12:32:16 pm by Kallisto »