logo
 drop

Main

Community

Submissions

Help

86470525 visitors

Author Topic: KALE (Kirby's Adventure Level Editor) version 0.91  (Read 2542 times)

Revenant

• View Profile
KALE (Kirby's Adventure Level Editor) version 0.91
« on: January 30, 2014, 01:23:47 pm »

Download KALE v0.91 (15 MB)
Download KALE v0.91 (update only) (257 KB)

Something I've been working on very slowly since the beginning of the year is starting to shape up. (And now it's actually usable!) Can you guess what it does?  :D

v0.90 is here now, with tileset and palette editing (and more)!

Please post feedback, suggestions, bug reports, etc. I've been slowly testing this over time, but of course the more eyes, the better.

I've already been pushing source updates to github here, for whoever has Qt 5 (or possibly also Qt 4, but I haven't tried it) and wants to build whatever exists so far (or just keep up with the status of the project :P)

KALE FAQs

Which versions of the ROM does this thing support?
All of them! Isn't that nice?

Is this program named after food?
I have it on good authority that Kirby loves leafy greens. Just doing a favor for a friend here, people.

Enjoy guys~
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 02:12:58 am by Revenant »

Drakon

• View Profile
    • 16 Bit Gamer
Re: KALE (Kirby's Adventure Level Editor)
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 10:56:16 pm »
This is awesome, thank you very much for making this.

bradzx

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 04:29:09 pm »
This will work for USA version?

Revenant

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 06:22:54 pm »
This will work for USA version?

Which versions of the ROM does this thing support?
All of them! Isn't that nice?

Drakon

• View Profile
    • 16 Bit Gamer
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 06:22:13 pm »
Zing

Revenant

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 12:17:02 pm »
Just a "checking in" post - I know I was hoping to get a beta release out earlier this month, though I ended up having a lot of real-life stuff happening earlier than I was expecting it to, so progress has been pretty slow. It's fairly close to being releasable now, and I'm still working on it a little bit at a time when I can, but I'm sorry that it's not going quite as quickly as I was hoping. I promise I'm not dead or anything :P

Googie

• Conjuring a hostile cartoon takeover...
    • View Profile
    • Googie Toons
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 04:03:49 pm »
I'll definitely play with this when it's done! I always wanted to hack that Evil Kirby hack, real smooth... :D

Revenant

• View Profile
Re: KALE (Kirby\'s Adventure Level Editor) version 0.80
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2014, 12:20:03 am »
Version 0.80 is up (finally). Check it out and lay that sweet sweet feedback on me (because I probably left something broken without realizing it!!!)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 12:32:24 am by Revenant »

Revenant

• View Profile
Re: KALE (Kirby's Adventure Level Editor) version 0.81
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2014, 12:32:34 am »
Version 0.81 is out. It fixes a couple of stupid sprite bugs, one of which was caused by HAL apparently not being able to make up their minds about coordinate systems...

Code: [Select]
v0.81 [2014-03-26]
- fixed saved sprite data occasionally being incorrect
- fixed some sprite positions being wrong when a level was more than one screen tall
  (due to the game treating sprite position data as if screens were 16 tiles tall,
   instead of the usual 12)
  (thanks to Reimu for pointing out both of the above)
- destroyable block translucency now affects more types when enabled

Mega-Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2014, 09:56:39 pm »
Nice, I thought the game was compressed though, that is why I never did it.

Revenant

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2014, 11:36:26 pm »
Kirby's Adventure uses the same compression as a bunch of other HAL games from the same period; early last year before I started working on my Kirby's Dream Course editor I had written some compression/decompression code for it (and decided to make a list of all of the NES/SNES/GB games that used it, including Kirby's Adventure :P)

Mega-Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2014, 07:02:01 am »
Kirby's Adventure uses the same compression as a bunch of other HAL games from the same period; early last year before I started working on my Kirby's Dream Course editor I had written some compression/decompression code for it (and decided to make a list of all of the NES/SNES/GB games that used it, including Kirby's Adventure :P)

I was thinking of building an editor for some of their games also.  This may be useful.

Revenant

• View Profile
Re: KALE (Kirby's Adventure Level Editor) version 0.82
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2014, 02:39:43 am »
Another minor update this time, just to fix a stupid bug with the double sized view that I thought I had taken care of a while ago (I'm a great software tester, aren't I...)

v0.82 [2014-03-29]
- fixed double size mode leaving sprites/exits in the wrong place
  (thanks Darkdata)

I uploaded both the full release as well as the update by itself, for people who already downloaded it and didn't feel like downloading all the dependencies again.

Barring any other stupid oversights on my part, the next major update will probably introduce some other stuff like tileset/palette editing. I've also been experimenting with a MMC3->MMC5 mapper hack to address the very small amount of free ROM space in the game as it is (and the complete lack of unused CHR-ROM banks); if I can get that working without any issues I may either build it in to the editor or add support for ROMs that are patched with it separately or something.

J^P

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2014, 01:16:06 pm »
Well I have found glitch, and yes, Im using 0.82 while this occurred, though I started with 0.80 when it was released.

Ever since I started to work on 1-2, I started to use more larger rooms(vertically or horizontally, or both), and then randomly sprites swaps their location randomly, for example if I have three sprites in 1-2-3 order, after I save and test area/level in emulator, they are in 2-3-X order. And by X I mean:

I never placed upside-down switch anywhere in my hack but for whatever reason blipper(1D) changed into that, and yet when I look at editor, its still blipper(1D) and not that switch(FF), resaving doesn't solve this and only way to fix it is to close KALE, reload rom and then it shows what emulator does(wrong order and that random switch), and I have manually to change them where and what they should be.

So basically it does save sprite locations correctly, but sometimes their order changes randomly and one of then changes into ceiling switch(FF), so far this has happend twice, in levels 032 and 033, but then some of levels which I also made larger or didnt change in terms of size(for example 02B, 02C, 02F) didnt have this problem, so Im not what causes this to happen :huh: .

Revenant

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2014, 01:27:59 pm »
That's strange. Would you mind sending me an IPS patch or something so I can check it out?

Like I found out before releasing v0.81, it may be caused by some stupid detail of the way the game handles sprite data that's currently being overlooked. Hopefully it should be easy to fix once I can actually see it happening.

Revenant

• View Profile
Re: KALE (Kirby\'s Adventure Level Editor) version 0.82
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2014, 05:16:17 pm »
Tile and palette editing are still in progress, since I haven't had a lot of free time to work on this in the past week or so, but here is a mostly-bugfix release which also adds to the exit editor (which can be used in case something got messed up by the bug that this release fixes; see the changes for details)

v0.83 [2014-04-18]
- fixed the limit on # of exits being too high, easily leading to corruption
  (due to some incorrect info on datacrystal)
  this was capable of affecting boss battle info (for the "next world" doors) which
  can now be edited as part of the normal exit data, as well as part of the tileset
  data, which the editor will now repair automatically until the actual tileset editor
  is added (soon, hopefully.)
- added the ability to change boss battle locations when editing a door with type 0x1F
  (the "next" overworld doors)
- fixed a bug where the music track and "no return on death" settings in the level
  properties dialog didn't take effect unless other settings were also changed
  (thanks J^P)
- new "edit exits" and "level properties" menu/window icons (made by Reimu)

(Also, I looked into the issue that J^P posted about above, and it turned out to be more or less some kind of unreplicatable weirdness that happened when saving the ROM to disk; it hasn't happened again since or to anyone else as far as I know.)

April 20, 2014, 12:11:39 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
In my haste to release the v0.83 bug fix, I broke something else. Please forgive my idiocy and enjoy v0.83b.

v0.83b [2014-04-19]
- only write some tileset info for ingame tilesets, not every single one.
  this was causing crashes as of v0.83 (thanks again J^P)
  once again, this update will automatically repair any ROM damage caused by v0.83
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 12:11:39 am by Revenant »

Revenant

• View Profile
Re: KALE (Kirby's Adventure Level Editor) version 0.90
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2014, 01:31:00 am »
I got lazy for a few weeks, then I suddenly got productive for some reason after that. Then this happened.

Almost everything I wanted to be in this editor is now done. There are a few things left (mostly UI polish) but this is quite nearly a finished product now until someone finds some crazy showstopping bugs or whatever. Have fun!

v0.90 [2014-06-12]
- new HTML documentation
- full tileset, BG palette, and sprite palette editing
- editing of "stage clear" and star switch reveal areas on overworlds
- some text changes ("level" replaced with "room" or "stage" when appropriate)
- allow pasting beyond 64 tiles in either direction; this was a limitation that managed
  to survive being copied from KDCEditor without being updated for the real maximum
  height/width of Kirby's Adventure maps (thanks DarkMatt)
- more new icons (by Reimu)
- sprites and exits outside of level bounds are no longer shown, saved, or editable
- tile edit window displays tile numbers in hex
- opening non-Kirby's Adventure ROMs now displays an error instead of continuing

Revenant

• View Profile
Re: KALE (Kirby's Adventure Level Editor) version 0.91
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2014, 02:28:53 am »
0.91 is out, and adds some helpful pointers to the sprite select window for a few of the more touchy (but important) sprites. I'll probably add more helpful stuff later on as well.

Also, fixed two bugs; one is mine and an even bigger one was HAL's. Now a room can be the maximum size possible without the entire last screen (and a small part of the next-to-last-screen) having no tile-collision detection at all. This fix will be applied to the ROM automatically on saving.

v0.91 [2014-07-18]
- added usage info to some sprites on the sprite editor
  (currently only for warp stars, cannons, and switches; maybe more in the future)
- fixed two minor UI bugs with the tileset editor
  (subtract from tile # box works correctly now)
- removed a limitation in the game where all of screen 15 (and part of screen 14)
  had no collision due to the tile collison detection code refusing to read that far
  into the currently loaded map data for some reason
  (thanks to CornetTheory for finding this issue)