News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Update: New Italian word is freaking me out!  (Read 2375 times)

Cargodin

• View Profile
    • Doushiuh☆oh翻訳
Update: New Italian word is freaking me out!
« on: January 30, 2014, 06:24:33 am »
Hi there! I'm just translating the prologue of a game for funsies and I'm at this phrase where, for context's sake, a character chants in an exorcism spell.
The trouble-maker is in bold:
我が (I will)
命をささげ (dedicate)
ナンジの (my life)
御魂を (to calm)
鎮めん (thy soul!)

ダーム! (Pronounced, "Da-a-mu".  Dang/Dharm/Dan/Don= ?????)

トゥー!    (Tu = Earth?)
シェン!  (Shen = Spirit?)
Some of the characters like to spout Chinese when executing a particular ultimate move they happen to have. I just have no experience with Chinese, so when it's in Katakana, I'm totally led astray.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--------------------------------------
UPDATE:
I felt like it wasn't worth it to start a new thread, so I thought I'd just put it here.

So I translated a song last night from Antiphona no Seikahime. (( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wx3je8Q5oQE ))
The chant in the very beginning is:

ネ・レーザ・ラ・ザーイ・ア・ベロ・ラ・フィオレ
ララーイ・ヤ・ナナーイ・ヤ・モフ・マ・ヴィータ
ネ・レーザ・ラ・ザーイ・ア・ベロ・ラ・フィオレ
ララーイ・ヤ・ナナーイ・ヤ・モフ・マ・ヴィータ

Neh Reza La-zai, ah! Bello, la Fiore.
Lalai yah Na-nai yah, mofu ma Vita.
Neh Reza La-zai, ah! Bero la Fiore.
Lalai yah na-nai ya moph maw Vita.**
La-zai!

The bolded parts are throwing me off. Italian was thrown in there this time (and oddly enough, not French for a Nippon Ichi game). I just have no idea what "mofu ma" would even remotely sound like in Japanese when I'm pretty confident that is what they are saying. Any clarifications on some random vocabulary word or grammar function would be appreciated, since I don't have any Italian under my belt besides, "It'sa me, Mario!"
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 02:01:20 am by Cargodin »

w7n

• View Profile
Re: Chinese (I think?) One word of trouble.
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 08:26:44 am »
Probably more info is better.
Since Mandarin Chinese characters never end in an 'm' consonant, the word 'daamu' or 'daam' is probably a dialect(if it is indeed Chinese).
If the dialect is Cantonese, the equivalent reading in mandarin is likely 'dan'.

As a native Chinese speaker I can't deduce the answer.

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 02:04:53 pm »
I looked up the game.

Frankly, he was listing off Chinese dynasties (with obfuscated pronunciation) moments before. Even if there is a correct translation, I’d have written this one off as nonsense magic words.
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

Cargodin

• View Profile
    • Doushiuh☆oh翻訳
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 06:19:16 pm »
Thank you guys for the feedback, and so quickly too!   ;)

I planned on writing them out as a transliterated incantation anyhow, just for stylistic reasons. I just wasn't sure how to write out "Dan" or "Dharm" or what have you. For a different character, they're actually written out in the english alphabet and not the katakana mischief we see here.

Thank you very much! I really appreciate the feedback from both of you!

azidahaka

• View Profile
Re: Update: New Italian word is freaking me out!
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2015, 04:31:39 am »
It's late i know but may be useful i hope!

Neh Reza La-zai, ah! Bello, la Fiore. /beautiful, the flower (la is wrong should be IL. common mistake made by chinese people in italy)
Lalai yah Na-nai yah, mofu ma Vita. ?mofu?, but life (mofu might be MUOVU -> sound like "moving"
Neh Reza La-zai, ah! Bero la Fiore. /this may be VERO, la fiore (true, the flower same "LA -IL" mistake
Lalai yah na-nai ya moph maw Vita. /again life but that maw? before seems senseless.

I'll see if it is some kind of old poetry.

First time italian is of help here :D

EDIT: I tried listening to that song and the italian is dreadful, but to me sounds like "Danza del Fiore" That means "Dance Of the Flower" some" eyo ya" around to follow the song :D Not sure it may make any sense in the game or context at all.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 06:09:49 am by azidahaka »