News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Let's make a table file for FF5e.  (Read 4108 times)

Spooniest

• Ain't got no berf cer-fi-ti-cate on me now
    • View Profile
Let's make a table file for FF5e.
« on: January 28, 2014, 09:17:49 pm »
I realize this involves asking for some instruction, but I feel it will be a teachable opportunity for the community.

The guide to making table files is here. Notice anything about that document? Yeah. It's not wordwrapped or formatted in any way that will make it legible, and even when you do the work of deciphering it, it points you to a file on Zophar.net. I followed that link, and it led me to the translations section of Zophar.net. So the link is obsolete...

I'm trying to run this "Search Relative" program (there appear to be analogous functions in both Translhextion and Windhex), but it's command-line, and I get a headache when I try to run things in command line (go ahead and laugh  :D ).

The other guide on there may or may not be helpful, but this first one doesn't instill me with a lot of confidence. Anyway, perhaps one of you fine folks here at RHDN would care to demonstrate? Tell me how to do it, we'll have a little "town-hall"-style clinic on it. Whaddaya say?

Thanks for reading.
I never wanted to work in a pet shop, you know. I wanted to be...a lumberjack.

Almagest

• ファーストエイド
    • View Profile
    • Almagest's ROM Hacking Blog
Re: Let's make a table file for FF5e.
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 09:22:55 pm »
The guide to making table files is here. Notice anything about that document? Yeah. It's not wordwrapped or formatted in any way that will make it legible, and even when you do the work of deciphering it, it points you to a file on Zophar.net. I followed that link, and it led me to the translations section of Zophar.net. So the link is obsolete...
I downloaded the document and opened it with WordPad, and the whole text is legible.

Edit: I think I know why you said it was illegible. You opened the file with notepad, didn't you?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 09:34:26 pm by Thisguyaresick2 »

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 08:09:37 am »
I downloaded the document and opened it with WordPad, and the whole text is legible.

Edit: I think I know why you said it was illegible. You opened the file with notepad, didn't you?

Yup.

Revenant

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 11:21:23 am »
That text file uses Unix line endings which Notepad doesn't recognize (for some reason, even though Wordpad, Command Prompt, Internet Explorer, and probably some other built-in Windows programs all do). You can also view it correctly in pretty much any web browser or decent text editor.

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 12:53:13 pm »
Still doesn't solve the problem that the link in the document points to something other than what it tells you it points to...

This document is obsolete.

UPDATE: I have constructed a usable table file. I used this.

It's called yy-chr...it's a tile editor, but by finagling with it, I found out that the address where the game starts looking for the font is 11F000. By looking in yy-chr, I can see:

I simply guessed that the blank space in the upper right was the beginning of the hex data for the font.

This makes the character "Capital A" the hex digit "60."

So I open up Windhex:

And pull down the Tools menu. In it, there's a "Table Maker."

As you can see, I've already typed in "60=A," to order Windhex to begin making a table file where "Capital A" means "60" and vice versa. Once you press enter, it'll prompt you for the next hex digit. If you look in yy-chr's window, it'll show you that the Capital Letters and the Lowercase Letters are in sequence...RPGe appears to have done a clean job.

So finish out the Table. You'll have to type it manually, based on what I know. That means 61=B, 62=C, etc. It'll keep prompting you. Unfortunately, if you screw it up, you'll have to start over, as there is no backspace function. Once it's done, click the "Save Table File" option in the File menu. When you close the Table Maker, it'll prompt you to apply the new table to the rom you have open for editing.

There! A basic table file for FF5e.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 01:53:41 pm by Spooniest »

wyndcrosser

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 07:28:25 am »
You can also build your own table in notepad and then save the file as FF5.tbl

That's how I do my tables, using windhex's internal prog is okay, but TAKES FOREVER sometimes.

I have a template TABLE font document with 00 to 9F already listed and I just delete what I don't need.

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2014, 02:00:07 pm »
You can also build your own table in notepad and then save the file as FF5.tbl

I tried doing that, but for some reason Windhex won't recognize it that way. It seems like it has to be one that Windhex created...weirdness.

tryphon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2014, 07:23:08 pm »
Problems of end line characters ?

Problem of encoding ?

That could explain why Windhex recognize one file but not the other.

A piece of advice : don't use Notepad. Use Notepad++.

Vehek

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2014, 07:57:42 pm »
By the way, you didn't need to go and make a table file (unless that strange problem with notepad is hindering you). There already was one.

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2014, 11:07:51 pm »
Oh, shit. So there is. Been that kinda day, really.

Well, now I know how to make one if I need to make one, and hopefully other people do, too.

Almagest

• ファーストエイド
    • View Profile
    • Almagest's ROM Hacking Blog
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2014, 08:22:45 pm »
I have a question about making a table with notepad. Let's say that I'm including Japanese characters to the file, and then I'm going to save, but which encoding should I choose: Unicode or UTF-8? I still don't know the difference between the two. All I know is that ANSI doesn't support Japanese characters.

DougRPG

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2014, 08:45:40 pm »
Man, do you oppened a file with notepad, the word wrapping was buggy, and you still tried to read it? This is the most basic stuff someone could face. When this happens you use WordPad. Well, ok....

Now about the table. Seems that now you know how to use a program that creates a table. This is completely different from creating the table itself (the char map).

Scio

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2014, 09:23:55 pm »
I have a question about making a table with notepad. Let's say that I'm including Japanese characters to the file, and then I'm going to save, but which encoding should I choose: Unicode or UTF-8? I still don't know the difference between the two. All I know is that ANSI doesn't support Japanese characters.
Don't make a table with kana just with notepad. Use Notepad++.
I only use plain notepad when the table contains just roman characters.