News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Castlevania 3j Alucard Romhack  (Read 3586 times)

Drakon

• View Profile
    • 16 Bit Gamer
Castlevania 3j Alucard Romhack
« on: January 25, 2014, 10:03:00 am »

http://www.mediafire.com/download/a9ta3uda5t3u57w/Castlevania+3j+Alucard.zip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnJdJ33figw&feature=youtu.be

This is a modified version of the Japanese release of castlevania 3.  For the sypha route I changed what music track plays on what stage.  I weakened some of the later boss attacks.  I made the main character Alucard, starting with the level 3 attack and the sypha freeze attack.  If you die you don't lose your freeze attack or weapon strength.  If you walk through a door and you picked up the time weapon you revert back to your freeze attack.  You can still pick up side characters including Alucard.  You start with 5 extra lives.  The ending will always be the Alucard ending.  I got tired of the belmonts always getting the spotlight, Alucard is a much more fun character to use anyway.

I would have posted this in my mini-hacks thread but this is a bit too big to be considered a mini-hack, it uses changes I made in my mini-hacks.

It should be noted I've only tested the sypha and most of the alucard route (alucard route was mostly to see if it would crash).  Please let me know of any bugs / issues in other routes.  I'm aware the graphics go nutbar for a few seconds when you pick up alucard as a side character, I find this amusing.  I have tested this hack on real hardware (a vrc6 devcart) so it gets my seal of quality.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 09:10:32 pm by Drakon »

Bregalad

• View Profile
Re: Castlevania 3j Alucard Romhack
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 10:34:44 am »
Haha, fun hack, the only problem is that Alucard's weapon is still horrible, and you're completely defenseless in the stairs.
If only he had a sword like in SOTN  ::)

PS : Also he magically turns into Trevor when you join with Sypha.

Drakon

• View Profile
    • 16 Bit Gamer
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 10:57:19 am »
Haha, fun hack, the only problem is that Alucard's weapon is still horrible, and you're completely defenseless in the stairs.
If only he had a sword like in SOTN  ::)

PS : Also he magically turns into Trevor when you join with Sypha.

Yeah I know.  He doesn't have hand shaking graphics heh.  Take the alucard route and pickup another alucard for an even bigger glitch.  I also had to reprogram the code for the between stage walking cutscenes otherwise I was presented with a walking sypha next to a walking chunk of offset sypha tiles.  His weapon is weak but it has a huge range, but that's also why I made some of the later bosses have weaker attacks so he's actually usable.  You can do two things when on the stairs, you can shoot the freeze attack (couldn't do this before) or turn into a bat, so you're only mostly useless.  The best thing is if you miss a jump or get pushed off a ledge you can turn into a bat midair and fly back to the ledge instead of having to die and replay a chunk of the stage.  Also I could make alucard's weapon stronger but I felt with the range it has that would take away too much of the challenge and kill some of the fun.  This is still a more powerful alucard than default, having the freeze weapon + constant level 3 attack and some weakened bosses.

My favourite thing with alucard is now it's easy to fully explore the game maps and look for secrets.  As well as no more B.S. "oops my jump was a little off" or "I was pushed off a ledge" deaths thanks to turning into a bat and flying to safety.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 11:07:13 am by Drakon »

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 03:57:02 pm »
Haha, 2 alucards in the same party, that's awesome.

But I still don't like Alucard's weapon. First it's actually random if there is 1, 2 or 3 shots going on. Segond, it's extremely slow. Third the damage dealt by the shorts seems random as well. At the start of stage 3, there is those owls, sometimes you can kill them in one hit, sometimes you can't. At least with simon's whip you could always kill them in one hit and there was no random in the process.

I would say it's nice you were able to change the music, but it wasn't a too good idea to change the music for the intro, bosses and stage selection screen. I don't know why - I just don't like this change. It's your hack anyways, I'm just giving my opinon.

And yeah if Alucard got a sword, it would be.... AMAZING.

I also appreciate to be able to fully explore the levels on the 1st quest. There is a 7k money bag in Stage 1 and in stage 4-A (ship), and a shorcut on Stage 3 (just after the part with the owls) that can only be reached with Alucard, and are normally only accessible on 2nd quest.
However, there is also many places acessibles with Alucard only where there is absolutely nothing, no breakable wall, no 1-UP, nothing. Also 7k poits is not that usefull, it's just a small step towards a 1-UP (each 50k points I think), for a hidden secret, that's quite lame, if you ask me. I'm not blaming you of course, but Konami ^^

Drakon

• View Profile
    • 16 Bit Gamer
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 09:07:03 pm »
There's always 3 shots.  There's a bug because of the freeze attack causing it to sometimes not draw all three but the ones it doesn't draw are still there and do damage.  To make it draw all three I do the freeze attack again and that eventually fixes it.  The damage isn't random it's based on how many of the three shots hit the enemy.  The idea with alucard is the closer you are when you attack the more damage it does because of how many of the three shots hit.

You keep talking like the idea of giving him a sword is as easy as clapping your hands together.  I think it makes more sense that a vampire uses some sort of magic attack instead of a sword.  If his attack bothered me (which it doesn't) I would have just made it more powerful.

As for the music changes that's just preference.

I definitely noticed I get many more point based one-ups playing with this hack probably due to collecting all these extra secrets.

I added a play through video to the first post but here it is again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnJdJ33figw&feature=youtu.be
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 09:15:45 pm by Drakon »

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2014, 05:24:54 am »
Haha, don't worry I know changing his weapon to a sword is far to be a trivial hack, I just told this because I'd really like to see this, but well that's your hack. You can always says I'm free to do my own hack to change his weapon to a sword, and it'd be true.