News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Games you can't believe there is no utility for  (Read 12054 times)

Ti_

• View Profile
Re: Games you can't believe there is no utility for
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2014, 03:39:22 am »
Some games which i have never seen tools for.
Bucky o hare       (the designers looked like they spent more time on bucky himself but not the levels,def one i wish had a level editor)
TMNT 3              (Another 2 player game overshadowed by tmnt 2)
I'm think with CadEditor   you can edit levels.
And for TMNT3 object positions builder exist TMNT3_levels_RIP

Drakon

• View Profile
    • 16 Bit Gamer
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2014, 08:05:45 am »
In some cases the utilities are out there people just don't know about them.  I only recently discovered the reVamp utility for castlevania 3 yet I've been hacking that game for a while now.

xander

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2014, 06:18:26 am »
you're right. I think that CadEditor has most of the nes games covered. Thanks for the TMNT3 object positions builder :)
xander

Johnvooker

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2014, 06:47:35 pm »
Would like to see a Shadowrun editor for SNES that does dialogue, levels, and items :) Maybe Snarfblam could make something like that! :D

yea that would be awesome.

Dr. Mario

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2014, 12:26:31 am »
Metal Gear: Ghost Babel on the Gameboy Color. I wouldn't even really want something to edit the main game, but it would be totally wicked if there was a tool to edit the VR Missions. Actually there's a ton of cool ideas that could be done with that if someone put in the time. I don't know if it would be possible at all, but imagine a tool that would scrape all of the data from the main story that isn't useful for the VR missions and use the space to allow for more missions. Then it spits out a rom with a title screen and nothing but the VR mission menu. You then can use the tool to create your own VR mission pack. I think that would be pretty boss.
What is a man? Baby don't hurt me, don't hurt me, no more.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2014, 11:43:21 pm »
Although there is one, I'd like to see a working Final Fantasy II (NES) editor, that also with FF3 NES as well. Some things in Neo Demiforce's translation need a slight tweaking.

MarkGrass

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2014, 02:07:41 pm »
I'd really like to see people getting more into PSone hacking.

KC's armips application is astoundingly useful, but there are hundreds of games that need utilities for specific file-types and such.

Furthermore, hacking on the PSone is especially easier, compared to cartridge ROM formats that need expansion, updated pointers, etc.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2014, 06:29:20 pm »
It was my understanding the FF3 NES title was basically stuffed to the gills with data and everything else which makes injecting new content a serious chore (likely a mapper change). Such a thing then being why you do not see so many hacks for it. That said if you have a patch then the differences between patched and clean will be the exact things you want to change.

As for PS1 hacking you may be speaking too soon, granted most of the work is in asset ripping and the occasional modification to fighting games but there are people doing good work. Granted nobody seems to talk to each other and I see people constantly reinventing the wheel. As for being easier... in some ways yet but expansion and pointers seem to become memory limits and pointers, and also direct pointers when dealing with nice raw reads.
Still the PS1 is a potential goldmine, there are lots of nice games needing tweaks and translations and the thing is emulated on basically everything these days.

Dr. Mario

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2014, 03:24:04 pm »
Bumping this up because I just realized that I can't find any kind of utilities for The Guardian Legend. I swear I would jump right back into rom hacking if I had a level editor for that. I think someone did a PC remake that has an editor, but I have no idea if it is any good or not, and I doubt that I can do any graphical changes, which I would totally want to do.
What is a man? Baby don't hurt me, don't hurt me, no more.

Lance

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2014, 02:53:43 pm »
As many hacks of the classic megaman series, especially 2, I would really like to see a fully loaded Megaman X hacking utility. The one Xeeyamo made is great, but you can only edit levels. Would be nice to edit objects too like the enemies or heart tanks/capsules/etc but may not be fully possible without editing the ASM.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2014, 05:03:56 pm »
As many hacks of the classic megaman series, especially 2, I would really like to see a fully loaded Megaman X hacking utility. The one Xeeyamo made is great, but you can only edit levels. Would be nice to edit objects too like the enemies or heart tanks/capsules/etc but may not be fully possible without editing the ASM.

I'm not sure how it is in X1, but in X2/X3 it's a bitch to do most of that.  You can easily edit the X/Y coordinates TO A POINT and what each object is, but then there comes the problem.  Each level has a 'hardcoded' table to display certain enemies, objects and events.  If you modified an enemy on the stage, you'd have to modify the hardcoded VRAM table so they'd appear properly.  And if I remember right as well, there's 'lines' that tell when an enemy should spawn if X gets near that screen.  It's very much doable but there's a ludicrous amount of work.  I'm not even sure why the game is coded like that as it just seems like it makes it difficult to edit, even for the original team.
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

locolol

• That penguin sure looks pissed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2014, 01:06:52 pm »
Bumping because i can't believe there's not a Dragon Warrior III/Dragon Quest III (NES) editor or rom hacking utility -__- ..i googled around and just found hex guides & stuff

Pingurules

• MUGENite
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2014, 11:02:51 am »
That would be the SNES Fire Emblem Judgral series, because my modules in Nightmare just don't work (Thracia 776).
And I think MOTHER, there is one, but for the NES and it is abandoned at around 10-20% through.
Also, the Advance Final Fantasy games (nothing on major hacking, save for VI, VI and more VI :( ).

I would love to see either of them come to life  :)
Pingu rules!

wolfokami321

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2014, 01:34:09 pm »
A goddamn sprite editor for chrono trigger similar to ff3usme really needs to be made.

Chrono trigger > ff6 in so many ways

Superjustinbros

• View Profile
    • Super Justin: the Blog
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2014, 07:03:29 pm »
Let's see...

*The Japan-only Eggerland games (Mystery, 2, FDS, MnF, ShT) (I know the first and last have editors, but they don't allow for making full games)
*Godzilla (GB)/Gojira-Kun
*Armadillo (NES)
*Arkanoid (Anything except NES) /Arkanoid II (Any version) (Heck you could go on and say any Breakout/Arkanoid clone in existence without an editor, such as Alleyway, Electranoid, Gigas, Goindol, Krypton Egg, Quester, and Thunder & Lightning)
*Egypt (NES)
*Pac-Man (Arcade)
*Mario's Picross/Picross 2
*Any Nazo Puyo (preferably the first or second Game Gear titles)
*Supper Gussun Oyoyo/SGO 2

tomaitheous

• View Profile
    • PC Engine Dev
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2014, 04:26:14 am »
 Bonk series for for the TG16. It's the system mascot (for the US release, anyway). SMBs for NES and SNES got level editors. Sonics got level editors.