News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Nintendo Admits Wii U Is A Flop? Interesting...  (Read 44395 times)

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
Re: Nintendo Admits Wii U Is A Flop? Interesting...
« Reply #80 on: February 04, 2014, 02:57:34 pm »
Nintendo says they're open to acquisitions and mergers.
Funny how they didn’t mention who they could buy so much stock back from.

It’s not exactly an Isao Okawa act of charity here, but I doubt that the Yamauchis are ready to let the old family business go to dross if they’ve got any say in it.
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

DarkSol

• Forum Moderator
  • IRC Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 05, 2014, 09:28:22 pm »
What's up DS?!

Man... we haven't talked in 13 years!

I've been pretty good man. Turned things around after many years squandered in the Bay Area. Endless commuting and working at thankless jobs is all behind me now.

How have you been doing?

Not much, man.  Glad to hear you're doing well! :D 13 years?!  I can't believe it has been that long.  You should come to the IRC sometime.  (I "own" the RHDN chatroom, and we have a good community of regulars in there, if you're one for chatting.)

Oh, that’s not about the money; it’s about penance.

everything burns!

I didn't mean that the money they save from cutting Iwata's and other executive pay would equal out what Nintendo has lost.  My point is that Nintendo doesn't get what is causing them problems.  Cutting executive pay does not make up for the fact that the Wii U is doing horridly and that the 3DS is losing ground to smartphones and tablets.  Other executives have lost jobs at other corporations for lesser shellackings in the market place.  While I think it's cute that Nintendo apparently has faith in Iwata, I think it's misguided.
It is wrong to try to avoid the struggle against imperialism under the pretext that independence and revolution are important, but that peace is still more precious.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 05, 2014, 10:26:56 pm »
The Wii's copy protection mechanics of course utterly failed, as it's one of the most easy to pirate games on consoles in history.
Has there been any speculation as to why they didn't seem to attempt to patch LetterBomb?  I remember reading about their initial efforts to block the first Twilight Princess exploit (and how they did it badly).  I also remember reading that every single different version of the System Menu is chained together in the Wii BIOS, so were they running out of breathing room, or something?
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 06, 2014, 03:35:36 am »
No official information has come out. I personally think they just gave up.
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

Mew seeker

• What are you doing there!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 09, 2014, 09:04:55 am »
I recently saw a video talking about both the Wii U and the Virtual boy and the causes behind their failures.

What Defines A Monster?

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 09, 2014, 10:03:56 am »
I don't think it's fair to compare the Virtual Boy and the Wii U.

The Virtual Boy was a prototype- Gunpei Yokoi intended for the final version to be much lighter and use color LEDs instead of the pure red ones. But Nintendo got impatient and shoved the thing out the door before it was ready- then blamed Yokoi when the thing failed miserably.
I honestly believe that if the Nintendo had displayed the slightest amount of patience and allowed Gunpei to perfect the device he had been working on, history would be much much different, and he might even perhaps not be dead right now.

The Wii U, on the other hand, I will assert is a failure on a conceptual level, not just on a practical level. Everything about it was a misstep, from virtually every angle. Gameplay-wise the tablet alienates the older market who were initially drawn to the Wii Remote's simplicity. From a gamer standpoint, the system has far too few games and is far too weak to compete on a fair level with the PS4 and the X1 (and that goes from a developer standpoint as well). From the general consumer standpoint, as a system that wants to be a media centerpiece it fails because Nintendo has purposefully removed BC and the ability to play bluray movies.
Add to that a price point that is wholly inappropriate for a system of that caliber in 2014 and you have as a result a system that has no chance of achieving a high level of success in the marketplace, no matter what Nintendo does with it.
What sayest thou, o fool? I say that religion hath done my bidding for me- while ye pretend free will exists, ye take it away and convert by force. Such is ye, who do my work.

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 09, 2014, 10:28:42 am »
He was crossing the street when he was hit by a car. There's a possibility he'd still be alive but I kinda doubt it.

Edit: also the Wii U can play Wii games, so I dunno what you're talking about with BC. Yeah Gamecube stuff doesn't work even though it shouldn't be too much of an issue but ehhhhhhhh the GC was 11 years old when the Wii U came out.

What Defines A Monster?

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 09, 2014, 10:32:49 am »
He was crossing the street when he was hit by a car. There's a possibility he'd still be alive but I kinda doubt it.

No- he was rear ended and was inspecting the damage when he was sideswiped by another car and killed.

http://www.giantbomb.com/gunpei-yokoi/3040-45151/

Minor details of his death aside, I believe that if he had not been so unceremoniously dumped by Nintendo, he would have been in an entirely different place at that time, and thus would never have had the accident and thus never would have been sideswiped and thus would still be alive and well to this very day.

"Yeah Gamecube stuff doesn't work even though it shouldn't be too much of an issue "

Except that it does become an issue, because it means that you still have to have your Wii around, taking up space, in order to play your library of games, thus removing one of the main reasons for backwards compatibility in the first place- as well as cutting down the software library. And with such a small Wii U library in the first place, deliberately hobbling it is a very bad move.

Bear in mind that I'm not arguing that Nintendo had to have ADDED anything in order for GC Mode to work. I just believe that Nintendo shouldn't have walled it off. Determined hackers have discovered via certain means that the Wii U secretly has the means to play GameCube games- Nintendo just has disabled it.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 10:40:22 am by What Defines A Monster? »
What sayest thou, o fool? I say that religion hath done my bidding for me- while ye pretend free will exists, ye take it away and convert by force. Such is ye, who do my work.

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 09, 2014, 10:35:37 am »
Ah, I did not know that.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 10, 2014, 12:38:11 am »
I don't think it's fair to compare the Virtual Boy and the Wii U.

The Virtual Boy was a prototype- Gunpei Yokoi intended for the final version to be much lighter and use color LEDs instead of the pure red ones. But Nintendo got impatient and shoved the thing out the door before it was ready- then blamed Yokoi when the thing failed miserably.
The way I heard that is...
so I hear in Japanese customs, if something fails, it has to blamed on a person, and that person has to be severely demoted (because they don't like to outright fire anyone).
So Yokoi let them blame him and resigned (probably because his almost-certainly-ingenious idea because an industry punchline by being released unfinished).
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 10, 2014, 01:46:54 am »
Except that it does become an issue, because it means that you still have to have your Wii around, taking up space, in order to play your library of games, thus removing one of the main reasons for backwards compatibility in the first place- as well as cutting down the software library. And with such a small Wii U library in the first place, deliberately hobbling it is a very bad move.

Bear in mind that I'm not arguing that Nintendo had to have ADDED anything in order for GC Mode to work. I just believe that Nintendo shouldn't have walled it off. Determined hackers have discovered via certain means that the Wii U secretly has the means to play GameCube games- Nintendo just has disabled it.
I don't know about where you are, but GameCube games are pretty hard to find hereabouts, and I bet there's a huge percentage of Wii owners out there who never owned any of them.

Besides, Nintendo would have at least needed to add GameCube controller ports, which would be an extra level of mechanical complexity.  And I'm not sure what those determined hackers are doing, but I would have thought that including BC would potentially introduce security issues and perhaps make quick and easy Wii U softmods feasible.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Malias

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 10, 2014, 02:17:41 am »
Also, Nintendo has never had a system with compatibility more than one generation back anyway.  The Wii U is exactly in line with what Nintendo has done in the past.
The great achievement is to lose one's reason for no reason, and to let my lady know that if I can do this without cause, what should I do if there were cause?
     ~Don Quixote~

What Defines A Monster?

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 10, 2014, 03:35:19 am »
" Nintendo would have at least needed to add GameCube controller ports"

I don't see why. It would be easy enough to allow the system to utilize the Classic Controller/Pro in order to support GameCube games.

Or for people that want it, just sell them this (at a tidy profit)-

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/06/you_can_now_use_your_gamecube_pad_on_your_wii_u

No need to add anything at all (especially not "mechanical complexity") to the Wii U itself.

"I'm not sure what those determined hackers are doing"

They've already cracked open the Wii U's system software and discovered that it contains a secret, locked-off GameCube mode in it. Which means the Wii U is perfectly able to play Cube games without any hardware modifications at all. You should look it up.

"Nintendo has never had a system with compatibility more than one generation back anyway"

Besides being a rather poor reason for doing anything, I should point out that until the DS, Nintendo's GB line was entirely capable of playing games from three generations (GB-GBC-GBA) of software. If Yokoi was still at the helm, I would imagine that the DS would have included the mode switch to enable GBC mode (and thus allow access to the entire line)

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 10, 2014, 10:01:20 am »
GBC on a DS would've required an extra CPU, adding a bit of cost and some complexity to the console.
I can imagine Nintendo wanted to save money on the console, especially when that was one area they knew Sony was going to have to take a hit on when they launched the PSP. (though as I recall the DS still launched at $150, well above the GB line's typical price around $90)
Then again Nintendo did include the Metroid Prime Hunters demo card with early consoles, perhaps negating some cost savings from the extra CPU. :P

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 11, 2014, 01:29:03 am »
GBC on a DS would've required an extra CPU, adding a bit of cost and some complexity to the console.
But emulation of Game Boy games can be done in software – either with Goomba in GBA mode, or Lameboy in DS mode.  Granted, neither of those options are perfect, but then the Game Boy Pocket wasn't strictly compatible with original GB games either.

MrBing

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 11, 2014, 05:14:53 pm »
Nintendo has pushed the same titles for years. At the same time (with the exception of Zelda and Fire Emblem), their storytelling has been consistently behind the times. At times I wonder if people really like the games Nintendo is making, or if they just think they do because the series themselves are so old. Because with a few exceptions their games don't stack up well with the competition.

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 11, 2014, 11:15:10 pm »
Super Mario Galaxy 2, at least, was the most fun I've had in a long time.

What exactly is "Storytelling" these days?  Sitting through a few hours of cutscenes?

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 12, 2014, 08:20:10 am »
Storytelling is an insanely complex subject with no one right approach to it.

Like, there's the Deus Ex: Human Revolution approach, there's the Fallout New Vegas approach, there's the Final Fantasy 13 approach, there's the Portal 2 approach, there's the Borderlands 2 approach, etc etc etc etc etc.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 12, 2014, 12:22:06 pm »
But emulation of Game Boy games can be done in software – either with Goomba in GBA mode, or Lameboy in DS mode.  Granted, neither of those options are perfect, but then the Game Boy Pocket wasn't strictly compatible with original GB games either.
Then Nintendo would have to write an emulator, which might require more effort than they wanted (especially if it was designed before they had Virtual Console in mind. Even then, they were skimping out on features that should've been simple like SGB colors/borders, BUTTON MAPPING, option to boot games in GB or GBC mode. They also left out Game Link support, though I hear the GL is actually harder to emulate than it sounds?).

What Defines A Monster?

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 12, 2014, 12:37:56 pm »
"Then Nintendo would have to write an emulator"

Except of course that Nintendo has already had a functioning GB/GBC/Z80 emulator since at least as early as 1999. They wouldn't need to make an entirely new one- reworking it for the DS would be a simple matter. Even just using the Z80 portion of it would suffice, since the system contains everything needed EXCEPT a Z80.

I guess it's a matter of arguing whether Nintendo might think paying a coder for a weeks worth of recompilation work would be worth it.