News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Nintendo Admits Wii U Is A Flop? Interesting...  (Read 37610 times)

SargeSmash

• View Profile
Re: Nintendo Admits Wii U Is A Flop? Interesting...
« Reply #60 on: January 23, 2014, 03:59:25 pm »
Personally I was giggling in the "oh dear" manner.

That said I do consistently underestimate the position Nintendo has for quite a few people.

Oh, it was cheesy as all get-outs.  But at the same time...  yeah, Nintendo holds a lot of cachet for me.  So while I was outwardly cringing at the cheesy execution, my inner fanboy (such as it is) was happy as can be.  ;)

Isn't the d-pad on the GC controller basically the same size as the GBA one?  I'm guessing this is why I don't really have any problems with it.  I played a ton of Soul Calibur II on GC, and didn't have much trouble at all.  It's small, but it's pretty accurate, not the mushy mess that is a 360 controller, or the original XBOX controller (the Controller S was passable).
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 11:08:28 pm by SargeSmash »
For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?  -- Mark 8:36

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 23, 2014, 04:06:05 pm »
Personally the playstation controller ends up causing hand cramps for me during long sessions. The 360 and GC ones work well for me and are my 1) 2) list. SNES wise.... more than functional but nothing I really have to look back to with any great fondness. Other than the iffy c stick for the N64 Zelda ports/emulators and the lack of a left shoulder button I was very happy with the GC controller.

Sounds like one of those agree to disagree situations I reckon. I do still have to have a go with the Xbone and PS4 controller and I hear good things about both.

Back on the game overthinker and Nintendo thing... I guess this is one of the Sega meant Nintendo did not dominate in the UK and as such Nintendo is just another company. I see it no differently to the likes of Capcom and the pounding they are getting in recent times where Nintendo seem to be making many of the same mistakes and getting some minor encouraging words.

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #62 on: January 26, 2014, 04:34:12 am »
It's been many years since I've played a game with something other than my phone, a keyboard, or a joystick.

I really liked the gamecube controller though. I think Timesplitters, Monkeyball, Mario Kart, and XIII won me over on them. The main problem was ports of older games not having button layout options. Jumping with GC A and shooting with any if the other buttons was lame.

I don't much care one way or the other for ps/2/3 controllers. I liked 360 and Xbox micros or whatever. The original Xbox ones were unusable and Dreamcast was usable but uncomfortable.

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #63 on: January 26, 2014, 05:32:33 am »
you can’t rebuke the duke
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 26, 2014, 07:16:29 am »
I just saw your edit SargeSmash. My callipers and a "how spongy" test say yeah it is the same as the GBC and original GBA (SP and DS are different, no micro or DS lite here to test).

By the way you might want to test out the newer style rotatable 360 dpad, it is far from perfect but a definite improvement for a lot of things. Though if you are playing games where dpad is necessary it might be instead worth going for a fightstick or something.

SargeSmash

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 27, 2014, 12:39:34 pm »
I've definitely heard good things about the "transforming" d-pad.  I just can't bring myself to spend the money on it.  ;)  I've had like five 360 controllers for a while now, thanks to the local closeout / salvage store.  I've also got one of those Afterglow third-party controllers, and while the rest of it really isn't up to snuff (the analogs are a little looser, the triggers are also a bit sketch), the d-pad is quite excellent.
For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?  -- Mark 8:36

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #66 on: January 27, 2014, 08:57:27 pm »
I find the D-pad is not so bad for games that manage to use it as some sort of menu device, but man is that thing is fiddly :laugh:

KaioShin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #67 on: January 28, 2014, 09:57:15 am »
Aaaand, Nintendo gets it wrong again.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/27/5352004/nintendo-reportedly-making-smartphone-mini-games

That sounds so bad. Unless their definition of mini-game covers at least full blown NES ports, but considering their pricing policy on the virtual console, I doubt it.
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #68 on: January 28, 2014, 11:34:07 am »
Do you really want to play Super Mario Bros 3 with finnicky touch-screen controls? Straight-up ports/emulated versions of old Nintendo games is a terrible idea.

Avicalendriya

• View Profile
    • Avi Morgan dot com
« Reply #70 on: January 28, 2014, 12:01:38 pm »
Do you really want to play Super Mario Bros 3 with finnicky touch-screen controls? Straight-up ports/emulated versions of old Nintendo games is a terrible idea.

It was 2010 and I was sitting up on the third floor at Sega when some Genesis games for iPhone came into the department. I was assigned Ecco the Dolphin -- a game that I had never played back in the day.

The next few weeks were basically the same day repeated over and over: I'm trying to control a dolphin using "soft keys" on the touch screen, while my infamously sweaty hands result in less and less control of the device.

The difficulty of the game, my unfamiliarity with it, and my endless struggle to gain control resulted in an infuriating experience. The final level -- "Welcome to the Machine" -- pissed me off so much that I was cursing out loud and occasionally giving the desk a good punch. Total hell.

So the answer is no!

KaioShin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #71 on: January 28, 2014, 12:14:51 pm »

I was more thinking in lines of the size of the games than NES ports specifically. As in more than just a single minigame from Wario Ware taken out and released as an app.

Aerdan: I'm not responsible for writing that article, so you can unclench your butt cheeks.
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #72 on: January 28, 2014, 09:03:56 pm »
Ah, good ol’ war stories. Wish I’d graduated on time; I’d have some to share by now.

(When a part-time instructor mentioned in passing that he was around when they worked on a tie-in for a certain movie, I let slip a “My God, I’m sorry!”

Yeah, I don’t think I won any brownie points there.)

DarkSol

• Forum Moderator
  • IRC Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 01, 2014, 07:01:10 pm »
It was 2010 and I was sitting up on the third floor at Sega when some Genesis games for iPhone came into the department. I was assigned Ecco the Dolphin -- a game that I had never played back in the day.

The next few weeks were basically the same day repeated over and over: I'm trying to control a dolphin using "soft keys" on the touch screen, while my infamously sweaty hands result in less and less control of the device.

The difficulty of the game, my unfamiliarity with it, and my endless struggle to gain control resulted in an infuriating experience. The final level -- "Welcome to the Machine" -- pissed me off so much that I was cursing out loud and occasionally giving the desk a good punch. Total hell.

So the answer is no!

Avi!  I haven't seen you around since ICQ, and that was AGES ago.  How the hell are you?

Also, Nintendo just doesn't get why they fucked up, hence why they are cutting Iwata and others executives' pay.  And it's only temporary.  How the hell does that make up for the loss in revenue due to the Wii U?  Hint: It doesn't.
It is wrong to try to avoid the struggle against imperialism under the pretext that independence and revolution are important, but that peace is still more precious.

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #74 on: February 01, 2014, 07:34:21 pm »
Oh, that’s not about the money; it’s about penance.

everything burns!

SargeSmash

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 02, 2014, 02:17:23 pm »
That was my thinking as well.  It's not so much the money, it's showing that, yes, we're taking this very seriously, and our own personal honor is at stake.

Avicalendriya

• View Profile
    • Avi Morgan dot com
« Reply #76 on: February 02, 2014, 08:17:53 pm »
Avi!  I haven't seen you around since ICQ, and that was AGES ago.  How the hell are you?

What's up DS?!

Man... we haven't talked in 13 years!

I've been pretty good man. Turned things around after many years squandered in the Bay Area. Endless commuting and working at thankless jobs is all behind me now.

How have you been doing?

What Defines A Monster?

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 04, 2014, 04:30:26 am »
It's a shame that the Wii U is a flop, but, in all honesty, it's really just a continuation of everything that Nintendo's been doing for the past THIRTY YEARS or so.

The company is absolutely hardwired into the mindset of "We Shall Do What We Do And Damn The World Around Us", unable to shift and change in a fluid and rapid manner. When they DO appear to be adjusting to shifting tides, they do it in such a Nintendian way that it leaves people scratching their heads in confusion.

When the world began to adjust to standardized optical media -and it was plainly obvious that the CD was the way things were going- Nintendo made a cartridge based system, and then a puzzling proprietary magneto-optical... thing... and promptly lost massive amounts of third party support.

When the DVD became the heir-apparent format, Nintendo had the option of "one upping" Sony's PS2... but instead chose that weird minidisc format, again isolating it from the third parties who LIKED having more than 1GB of storage space- and eliminating Nintendo's console as one that people just might choose as a DVD player (one reason many people believe the PS2 took off so quickly was that dual functionality).

And onward and upward- Nintendo does what it does, seemingly in a vacuous bubble away from the influence of the people that actually buy its products.
What sayest thou, o fool? I say that religion hath done my bidding for me- while ye pretend free will exists, ye take it away and convert by force. Such is ye, who do my work.

Azkadellia

• Forum Moderator
  • 提交向你的情妇!
    • View Profile
    • Princess Translations
Current Projects: On hold indefinitely.
I do the Twitter thing now: https://twitter.com/MistressSaeko (expect lots of game streaming announcements)
Mistress of the RHDN Discord server.

I.S.T.

• Ten years, still no avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 04, 2014, 11:47:40 am »
It's a shame that the Wii U is a flop, but, in all honesty, it's really just a continuation of everything that Nintendo's been doing for the past THIRTY YEARS or so.

The company is absolutely hardwired into the mindset of "We Shall Do What We Do And Damn The World Around Us", unable to shift and change in a fluid and rapid manner. When they DO appear to be adjusting to shifting tides, they do it in such a Nintendian way that it leaves people scratching their heads in confusion.

When the world began to adjust to standardized optical media -and it was plainly obvious that the CD was the way things were going- Nintendo made a cartridge based system, and then a puzzling proprietary magneto-optical... thing... and promptly lost massive amounts of third party support.

When the DVD became the heir-apparent format, Nintendo had the option of "one upping" Sony's PS2... but instead chose that weird minidisc format, again isolating it from the third parties who LIKED having more than 1GB of storage space- and eliminating Nintendo's console as one that people just might choose as a DVD player (one reason many people believe the PS2 took off so quickly was that dual functionality).

And onward and upward- Nintendo does what it does, seemingly in a vacuous bubble away from the influence of the people that actually buy its products.

Starting with the GC, they've basically used modified DVDs(or in the case of the Wii U, Blu-Rays) as their formats. The GC used Mini-DVD with a different copy protection scheme(Incidentally, it holds about 1.5 gigs), the Wii uses single and dual layer DVDs with a different copy protection scheme, and the Wii U uses Blu-Rays with a different copy protection scheme.

The Wii's copy protection mechanics of course utterly failed, as it's one of the most easy to pirate games on consoles in history. Only the PSP is easier.
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016