News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Nintendo Admits Wii U Is A Flop? Interesting...  (Read 43857 times)

FAST6191

• View Profile
Re: Nintendo Admits Wii U Is A Flop? Interesting...
« Reply #100 on: April 12, 2014, 01:12:44 pm »
I should also note the GB/GBC used 5V where the GBA and DS were 3.3v (the GBA has a switch inside the slot). Now the DS does have a 5V battery but going purely on cart support it would have also mandated 5V handling inside the DS which is extra aggro.

I guess they could have made their own flash cart or something at this point but that is probably getting silly.

Also I am not sure if this is what Jorpho meant but the colour conversion on the GBA were also not the best for the GB/GBC, http://nocash.emubase.de/pandocs.htm#lcdcolorpalettescgbonly .
Someone once stumbled upon a good example of this but I can not recall what it was, I think it was a shmup though.

What Defines A Monster?

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 12, 2014, 01:20:31 pm »
Or just, you know-

Not take out the five cent voltage switch.
What sayest thou, o fool? I say that religion hath done my bidding for me- while ye pretend free will exists, ye take it away and convert by force. Such is ye, who do my work.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 13, 2014, 02:51:30 am »
Also I am not sure if this is what Jorpho meant but the colour conversion on the GBA were also not the best for the GB/GBC
In regards to the Game Boy Pocket – the original, early black-and-white revision of the original Game Boy – Nintendo reportedly used a slightly different version of the Z80, which was enough to cause sound effects in certain obscure games to play wrongly.  I'm just saying that it seems an inability to be scrupulously faithful to the original hardware might not have played much of a part when they were considering backwards compatibility.

(The Game Boy Player for the Gamecube does contain actual GBA hardware, doesn't it?)
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 13, 2014, 09:24:20 am »
Yes, it does. The GC is basically used as a boot loader and a video/audio output.
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #104 on: April 13, 2014, 01:54:36 pm »
In regards to the Game Boy Pocket – the original, early black-and-white revision of the original Game Boy – Nintendo reportedly used a slightly different version of the Z80, which was enough to cause sound effects in certain obscure games to play wrongly.  I'm just saying that it seems an inability to be scrupulously faithful to the original hardware might not have played much of a part when they were considering backwards compatibility.

(The Game Boy Player for the Gamecube does contain actual GBA hardware, doesn't it?)

Not reportedly, the GB does use a modified Z80 asm which they changed to 100% pure Z80 for the GBC. IIRC, the NES contained a modified 6502 ASM set as well.

Mew seeker

• What are you doing there!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 19, 2014, 10:32:25 am »
Here is another video that suggest another reason for the Wii U failure.
It might be wrong but it's an interesting theory. ^^

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 19, 2014, 11:47:36 am »
Not reportedly, the GB does use a modified Z80 asm which they changed to 100% pure Z80 for the GBC. IIRC, the NES contained a modified 6502 ASM set as well.
They couldn't have switched the CPU (and with it, the instruction set) in the GBC, or they'd have broken backwards-compatibility.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Panzer88

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • GENO means ♥♪!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 02, 2014, 03:08:29 pm »
meanwhile, the Wii is still the best selling console of last generation, while the Wii U still has more sales than Xbox One. The Xbox One must be doomed to bankrupt all of microsoft forever..... yeah.
Donate now until 24 April, from the makers of shotwell Geary: a new open-source email client

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 02, 2014, 04:44:10 pm »
Only a single wire was suppressed from an original 6502. (to disable decimal mode, which is anyway mostly useless)

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 03, 2014, 07:46:45 pm »
while the Wii U still has more sales than Xbox One.
Holy cow, really?  I hadn't heard that one before.  That's pretty terrible.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 03, 2014, 07:54:01 pm »
To be fair, the Xbone's been out for six months.

KaioShin

• View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #111 on: May 04, 2014, 02:36:33 am »
meanwhile, the Wii is still the best selling console of last generation, while the Wii U still has more sales than Xbox One. The Xbox One must be doomed to bankrupt all of microsoft forever..... yeah.

The Wii U is now as old as the Dreamcast was in the US when it was cancelled by Sega. And at that point the DC sold much more than the Wii U has sold so far... That seems like a much better comparison considering the XBone was just released...
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

Spooniest

• Ain't got no berf cer-fi-ti-cate on me now
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 04, 2014, 01:19:36 pm »
Somewhat shocking that a Nintendo console could utterly flop like that. All it takes is one bad decision, I guess.
I never wanted to work in a pet shop, you know. I wanted to be...a lumberjack.

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 04, 2014, 04:03:54 pm »
Well, the gamecube apparently sold 21.74 million systems... So it's not impossible. The GC did make a profit, but it had cheaper hardware(I still don't get how the Wii U is being sold for a loss. My guess is Nintendo did not make very good manufacturing deals).

vincent_vincent

• View Profile

What Defines A Monster?

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 07, 2014, 09:53:21 am »
I can't be the only one who saw this coming.

I mean, seriously.

Nintendo releases a console a decade out of date, with no GameCube backwards compatibility, barely any first party titles, almost no third party support (or even an attempt at it) and then tries to charge an exorbitant price for it?

And their strategy, when consumers aren't biting, is to punish 3DS owners by putting GBA games (which logically should be on a handheld and NOT on a console) onto the Wii U Virtual Console.
What sayest thou, o fool? I say that religion hath done my bidding for me- while ye pretend free will exists, ye take it away and convert by force. Such is ye, who do my work.

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 07, 2014, 03:45:43 pm »
I highly doubt GC backwards compatibility is a major part of why it's selling so bad. It has Wii backwards compatibility, which for most people is much more worthwhile.

The main issue is Nintendo tried to make a Wii 2. they tried to sell it based solely off of the controller again(Despite their PR statements saying otherwise), and that was not enough.

Spooniest

• Ain't got no berf cer-fi-ti-cate on me now
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 07, 2014, 05:03:31 pm »
So what? Do they make another console now and try to cater to their fanbase some more? Is this the end of Nintendo? I highly doubt it. Nintendo hasn't been a major player in consoles for the last 30 years for nothing.
I never wanted to work in a pet shop, you know. I wanted to be...a lumberjack.

KaioShin

• View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #118 on: May 07, 2014, 05:15:08 pm »
So what? Do they make another console now and try to cater to their fanbase some more?

If only.

They'll do fitness accessoires to make some more money on the side. And maybe they'll throw another Mario game on the market every two years to shut up the fanboys.

What I don't understand is how Nintendo can make a loss that big at all. The Wii U is being sold at a loss or so I heard, but not that much. One or two games sold for the system and they are even again. Their games aren't 100 million budgets like GTA or CoD. Donkey Kong Country certainly didn't cost 100 million. Where do they lose all that money? What are they spending it on?
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

What Defines A Monster?

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 07, 2014, 08:33:56 pm »
"which for most people is much more worthwhile."

Perhaps.

However-

It's a matter of bits and pieces, each one of which creates an incentive/disincentive to purchase the console. On my end, if I buy something that wants to replace the Wii, I want it to do EVERYTHING that my Wii does so I don't have to shove another unit into my gaming cabinet, and I have far more GameCube games than I do Wii games. Titles like Twin Snakes, Eternal Darkness, Second Sight, Smash Bros Melee, StarFox Assault, Crystal Chronicles,  REMake 0, ReMake 1, MegaMan AC, GC Twilight Princess, the Zelda AC and the original Wind Waker still look great to me and get regular play on my system.
By removing GameCube BC, it's a chip in a long list of cracks the Wii U possesses that create a disincentive for purchase.

Do I enjoy the few Wii-specific games I have? Of course. I own XenoBlade, Last Story, RE4: Wii Edition, Silent Hill Shattered Memories and the Prime Trilogy Collectors Edition.  But that small list of Wii titles pales in comparison to the full library of games existent in my gaming cabinet. The list of Wii U specific titles that are worth buying is so much smaller still, that to be perfectly honest buying the console would be in essence paying $300 for a less capable console than I have now.

You can say to yourself "Well, I don't use this, so it doesn't matter"- but if there's one example of someone who isn't buying the system for any particular reason, it stands to reason that there are many, many more.