News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Your top 3 favorite games to hack  (Read 5754 times)

joe73ffdq

• View Profile
Your top 3 favorite games to hack
« on: January 15, 2014, 01:48:53 am »
I have been thinking about this for a while. Most of the posts on this site are specific to the current project at hand, or questions from new people like myself who need the occasional help. Why not create a topic that branches from the norm, and see what makes the games you hack so much fun.

1. Final Fantasy
What makes this game fun to pick apart is all about the numbers. Its my favorite RPG of all time, and I am having a blast with the data searching. Putting in different values for stats, hit points, prices, attack parameters, and raising caps, are just a few things that make me love this game even more.

2. Ghosts n Goblins
This is one of those games that I play several times a year, every year. I am currently able to decrease the difficulty of the original by restructuring around enemies and spawn spots. The best part though, is using Tile Layer Pro to bring the graphics close to par with the two sequels in the series.

3. Legend of Zelda
I have yet to put any real effort into this one yet, but this will be just as fun as Final Fantasy for reasons of its own, when I fully get to it.

FAST6191

• View Profile
Re: Your top 3 favorite games to hack
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 06:50:57 am »
Interesting. Mainly as I try never to do anything useful I tend not to play with high level tools and that means I switch up what I hack basically all the time. There are a few formats I like to hack and play with but even there it is the exceptions to/deviations from the known standards that interest me more.
I like games with scripting languages. As I do not tend to hack PC games these days most seem to be rendered as some form of bytecode which makes things less fun to deal with. Similarly I will also always try to make a mathematical model for the underlying systems of every game.

Still

1) Whatever version of Tetris I am playing this week. I play a lot of Tetris, it is the thing I use to keep my hands busy when watching a film or something. I have never really got into Tetris AI hacking, Tetris as understood by the big fans of it ( http://harddrop.com/wiki/Category:Interface ) or even much of controls (there are no small number of Tetris games with less than stellar controls) which looking at it now is odd. Artwork, music and menus (poke your silly extra modes, give me normal tetris and the like) are then the things I do most of.

2) If I am playing a RPG or something similar (think Summon Night Swordcraft Story) then it is a good bet that I will be cheating to lessen grind, negate pointless systems and whatever else. This does go the other way and I will add challenge into games I think need it.

3) I will tend to have a few macros for PC games and if I can be bothered some console ones as well. If I am not allowed that then possibly Dungeon Keep level editor, even if I have not touched it for years.

Gi Nattak

• View Profile
    • http://ff6hacking.com/
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 01:53:46 pm »
1) FFVI
2) Chrono Trigger
3) Secret of Mana

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 04:39:36 pm »
1. Mega Man X3
There's so much that can be done that it's just hard not to love it.

2. Chrono Trigger
This started my whole jump into ROM hacking.  I love this game to death and everything about it.  I honestly haven't dabbled much in it's ASM workings as I lumped right into Mega Man after I got a good grip, but I damn sure want to work on this more some day.

3. Tales of Phantasia
Extremely complicated to work with but god do I enjoy it.  It's a lot of fun, a lot of possibilities and just a great game.  I can't express how much I enjoy messing with this
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

isaix

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 07:00:44 pm »
I like making Super Mario World rom hacks a lot,there are so many think that can be changed.I feel like I'm learning new stuff about SMW hacking everyday.

Other then Super Mario World,I also tried to hack A Link to the past,but I didn't enjoyed it as much and I prefer to stick with only one game at the time.

Madsiur

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • FF6 hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2014, 12:07:45 am »
1. FF3us (SNES)
The most documented game hence offering many possibilities and without a doubt my favorite SNES RPG. I have an ongoing hack that will take some time to be done. I am relatively good with events, music and I can do basic ASM.

2. FF2 (SNES)
The only other game that I've done a bit of hacking with, mainly to understand the music commands and do some events. Maybe I'll try to make an extensive FF2 hack after my FF3 hack.

3. Final Fantasy VI Advance (GBA)
Well this one doesn't count directly as hacking, but I'm doing an editor for the game, so I need to do some data research and test my stuff. Drakkhen's work got me started but I plan to bring the editor further than the data he discovered.

Celice

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2014, 02:41:41 am »
I like making Super Mario World rom hacks a lot,there are so many think that can be changed.I feel like I'm learning new stuff about SMW hacking everyday.

Other then Super Mario World,I also tried to hack A Link to the past,but I didn't enjoyed it as much and I prefer to stick with only one game at the time.
Noticing your avatar, maybe you should mess around with some Fire Emblem games :p There's a lot of data collected on the games and some editors float around, but the English community is horribly fragmented, and more interest is put into egos than into actual preservation of information and projects.

Category

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2014, 05:41:44 am »
1)Super Mario World (SNES) - mainly because there are so many good tools, is quick to change something and play it. Level edits are awesome for babbys first ROM patch

2)Legend of Zelda (NES) - similar reasons to above

3)Starflight (MD) - mainly because I'm working on it at the moment! Text edits couldn't be easier for most of the game, but I am finding a lot of challenge in the graphics editing

snarfblam

• Submission Reviewer
  • CANT HACK METROID
    • View Profile
    • snarfblam
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2014, 10:35:08 am »
  • Metroid [NES]
  • Legend of Zelda [NES]
  • Everything else [NES]

I've made both hacks and editors for items 1 and 2, and I've got a much more extensive Metroid hack in the works, but lately I've been having a hard time keeping myself interested in that :/

Otherwise, I enjoy just about anything NES-related.

Jeville

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2014, 12:52:04 pm »
1. The Legend of Zelda
2. Link's Awakening DX
3. Super Mario Bros. 3

If there will be a side-scroller editor for Zelda II, along with a Windows version of menu features that Mac has, I'd dabble with it.

Mauron

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2014, 01:27:37 pm »
I haven't really focused on hacking a game other than Chrono Trigger. It's been my go-to game for most of my hacking time, and what got me into hacking in the first place.
Mauron wuz here.

ChronoMoogle

• Super Famicom all the way.
    • View Profile
    • SNESfreaks
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2014, 07:13:53 pm »
1. Chrono Trigger
2. Terranigma
3. Anything related to Satellaview...

Drakon

• View Profile
    • 16 Bit Gamer
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2014, 09:23:19 pm »
  • Metroid [NES]
  • Legend of Zelda [NES]
  • Everything else [NES]

I've made both hacks and editors for items 1 and 2, and I've got a much more extensive Metroid hack in the works, but lately I've been having a hard time keeping myself interested in that :/

Otherwise, I enjoy just about anything NES-related.

Sorry to hear you lost interest in your extensive metroid hack, I'm glad you at least fixed everything that was wrong with the original metroid.