News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Final Fantasy IV Hacks - Paladin to Dark Knight in-battle!  (Read 21526 times)

Spooniest

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Ain't got no berf cer-fi-ti-cate on me now
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy IV Hacks - Visions of what's to come!
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2015, 12:18:45 pm »
Wow! You constructed a job system!

The kinds of things that are going on with FF4 these days amaze me.
I never wanted to work in a pet shop, you know. I wanted to be...a lumberjack.

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2015, 02:47:41 pm »
Way to go on  the job system! I'd say you just blew my mind, but I've said that so many times since I started messing around with FF4kster and seeing so many different awesome things being done with FF4, that "mind blowing" doesn't seem to do enough justice anymore haha.
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2015, 08:57:05 pm »
Woahhh at the jobs thing you got going on there! Are you planning on implementing that in your Combat Boost hack (Which I'm looking forward to! I hope it's going well!)

Also, can anyone get a hold of chillyfeez for me? I sent him a PM. I've been trying to demo his 'A Threat From Within' project, but can't figure out what type of rom I need to patch.

Keep up the good work everyone!

Thank you for the kind words. The plan is to implement this into Combat Boost, yes. Though I have to say Combat Boost is going through quite a bit of a makeover... which I fear is going to alienate the older crowd that had played it.

Looks awesome!

All that's left now is to change the text "Arms" to "Job".

Do you have any plot/flavor reasoning behind how the jobs work? If they're crystal shards like in FF5 you could use the crystal symbol for the job items...

Yep! The notes on how to do that is on the reference book, so I can get to that soon enough.

Well the plot is changed up a bit this time to make full use of Chillyfeez's beautiful Enemy Level Ups and Shadow Party hacks. The plan is this... you will re-acquire party members at the earliest opportunity to make full use of the Job Classes and new spells. Edward will rejoin in Troia (or I may have him do some solo-adventuring to rescue his friends in-person against the Dark Elf). The Twins can be unstoned once you get back from the Underworld with the optional sidequest to get a Supersoft (Old rumor from back in the day, referenced in FFIX I would like to include it) or they will rejoin when you're headed to the Giant. Cid, as in the original Combat Boost will stick around for longer in the subplot with the other two Dark Crystals and rejoin when you meet him before the Sealed Cave. Yang will take the longest, still requiring the Frying Pan. If not, he'll rejoin the party at the Giant.

The issue than becomes dealing with them in the plot... likely I'll throw in one of the optional characters here and there in dialogue and scenes but the plot will assume that the entire party is together at all times. There will be some exceptions though and this leads into the second thought...

Jobs will be obtained through sidequests, item drops, treasures and main plot (That's the plan, this may change). For instance when Tellah is dying he'll call Edward to his side and give him the Red Mage job and doing a sidequest in Kaipo for a young Harley will earn Edward the Scholar job. The obvious place for Cecil to regain the Dark Knight Job is with Odin, but that's too far so maybe something with Mysidia that will open up before going underground. These are all just thoughts on what to do with the Jobs, since the plot of FFIV can't really let the Crystals break

Wow! You constructed a job system!

The kinds of things that are going on with FF4 these days amaze me.

Thank you very much Spooniest, Chillyfeez put it best saying that FFIV is so bare-bones basic that there is room for this sort of experimentation whereas the games past it are a little too nuanced or expansive for these sorts of changes.

But I should clarify...

The way this will work is that each character will have three Jobs, their basic Class and two earned Jobs. Each Job has its own unique set of Commands and can learn up to eight spells that are acquired through a Job Tracker.

For example Yang...

Say Monk Yang has fought 85 Battles, this means that he has gained 4 Skills(Spells) from his Job, (Aura)Blast, Revert, Press(ure), Seal Break. If he changes to another job by equipping either the Master or Samurai Job another Job Tracker will kick into effect at the end of battle and look at those instead.

One of the main draws of this is to acquire all 24 Skills for a character (some will have less). I'm fooling around with the proper numbers but Job Mastery can't go beyond 255 Battles, which shouldn't be too much of a problem.

I am also considering some kind of Job Level bonus to stats or some such, but I need to work very hard to balance this accordingly.

Way to go on  the job system! I'd say you just blew my mind, but I've said that so many times since I started messing around with FF4kster and seeing so many different awesome things being done with FF4, that "mind blowing" doesn't seem to do enough justice anymore haha.

Thank you Bahamut ZERO. I thought it the only proper way to make proper use of the 73 New Spells was with an extended Job System.

JCE3000GT

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2015, 09:32:35 pm »
As I mentioned on another forum, this is some great stuff right here. :)

pinkpuff

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2015, 08:49:36 am »
The Twins can be unstoned once you get back from the Underworld with the optional sidequest to get a Supersoft (Old rumor from back in the day, referenced in FFIX I would like to include it)

Ha! I remember that old rumor! Though when I heard it, they called it the "Basilisk's Eye", though thinking about it now, I'm not sure how they would have fit something like that into an item name. Then along came the discovery of some very revealing game genie codes such as the "Gunslinger Code" which allowed you to cycle through every item in the game, and that basically put a stop to that rumor ^_^
Let's dance!

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2015, 09:41:00 pm »
Well even then there was the dummied Soft which you could use on the Twins which displayed another "D" message, which kept the rumor a bit alive with the idea that "the event was taken out of the American Version completely ala the Programmer's Room". That was a little more difficult to swallow though.

And a new update! I've been working the past couple of days on something rather special...

Nothing remarkable here, Porom can equip only a Staff...

But with the Onion Knight Job equipped she can equip nearly anything! (Exceptions being unique weapons such as the Dark Swords, Light Swords, and character's final weapons)

The same applies to the Samurai Job, when Yang is equipped with the Samurai Job he will be able to equip Armor, Shields, Katanas, Dark Swords, and Dark Armor.

There may be one more job to have additional Equipment allowed through it, if it is it will likely be Edward and allow him to equip Medium Armor, Swords, and certain Shields in his Red Mage class. I can also add in an exception for Cecil's Dark Knight Job to allow him to re-quip those items. (Perhaps a reason to make one or two new Dark Swords/Armor?)

Duke2go

• View Profile
    • Final Fantasy Reconstructed
Thanks Thanatos-Zero! I love FFV as well and have been wondering how difficult it would be to hack that game (the documentation I put into FFIV has been absolutely immense from every spell routine to every command routine including several bug fixes, I have been around that system a fair amount), but for the moment my interest lies with FFIV.

I see why you and I have gotten along so fantastically. FFIV was the last of the great originally inspired Final Fantasy games. It is still my favorite, and I'd play USII a lot even after I had USIII. Personally though, I FRICKIN HATE FFV... (Although not as much as FF++) That was the game where I felt like they started to make the games more gimmicky rather than sticking to the old tried and true formula. Plus, I didn't play an english version until I was much older. FFIV's story was SOOO much better than V's (I'm definitely in the IV camp). I just think its funny how many FFV sprites have wound up in FF1 hacks. I actually edited out the Ninja sprites in FF++ and put my Ninja in place of "Feris" uuuugggghhhh. If I used 5 for anything it would be to do a SUPER updated version of FF1 in the SNES style. That would be cool though. FF1 with all those job classes.
Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly, the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence...

http://www.ffreconstructed.com/
https://www.facebook.com/finalfantasyreconstructed/

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
I see why you and I have gotten along so fantastically. FFIV was the last of the great originally inspired Final Fantasy games. It is still my favorite, and I'd play USII a lot even after I had USIII. Personally though, I FRICKIN HATE FFV... (Although not as much as FF++) That was the game where I felt like they started to make the games more gimmicky rather than sticking to the old tried and true formula. Plus, I didn't play an english version until I was much older. FFIV's story was SOOO much better than V's (I'm definitely in the IV camp). I just think its funny how many FFV sprites have wound up in FF1 hacks. I actually edited out the Ninja sprites in FF++ and put my Ninja in place of "Feris" uuuugggghhhh. If I used 5 for anything it would be to do a SUPER updated version of FF1 in the SNES style. That would be cool though. FF1 with all those job classes.

Heh, that could possibly be it, but I bear no ill will towards FFV. I see it for what it is, FFIII+ with actual characters and a variety of different job possibilities that the older games lacked. FFV also has one of my favorite FF characters in Galuf. I enjoy FF games with epic storylines like FFII, FFIV, FFVI, etc. But I also enjoy the "traveler's tales" I'll call them that stumble upon saving the world such as FFI, III, V. I honestly feel that VII is when things changed, mostly for the worse creating the  basic "futuristic" storyline that FFVI had used sparingly and with much restraint, but VII, VIII, and X made this a centerpiece. It wasn't until FFIX where they again appealed to the old crowd in the classical "epic storyline" whereas XII falls into the "traveler's tales" series, but I have no preference for one or the other, it all depends what is tickling my fancy at that moment.

As for gimmicky... I don't think you can find anything more gimmicky than what I'm trying with FFIV now, haha. Putting a job system into the game and including over 30 new commands along with over 72 new spells it will definitely be looked at in a less than kind light by those who prefer simplicity. Not to think of what those who had played the original version of Combat Boost may receive it...

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy IV Hacks - Paladin to Dark Knight in-battle!
« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2015, 11:35:55 am »
This isn't yet a patch. It was made for Bahamut ZERO's FFIV Mod and it is a bit too bulky to see use in any of my own projects. But here it is all the same

Allowing Cecil to turn back into a Dark Knight and turning the Dark Knight into Paladin Cecil on Command in-battle!

Now about this project, I love Dissidia, a fantastic game which showed a neat way to change between Dark Knight and Paladin Cecil and it was always a wonder that FFIV never incorporated such a thing into their own story that Darkness is not inherently evil (after all King Baron was a Dark Knight) and the Light is not inherently good (Loose, but Zeromus resists Holy and it's a Dark Crystal which forces him to change to his true form). So Bahamut ZERO asked about a command that would let the Paladin change into Dark Knight Cecil. At first I thought he was referring to just appearance wise, so I delved into the code, found how the game changes the sprites used for things like Pig Status and branched from there. I made a work-in-progress than he told me that he wanted a Full transformation, not just sprite based, but to literally take Dark Knight Cecil, his stats and equipment, and place him over the Paladin and when the Dark Knight uses the Command vice-versa.

So I used up the majority of the Unused SRAM and managed to put a copy of a fresh Dark Knight Cecil in there that would be accessed and placed over the Paladin's data and the Paladin would be transferred to the Unused SRAM in turn.

It worked out quite well! Here are the results...

How this works...

At the start of the game custom code is ran to put a fresh Character 1 into Unused SRAM along with predetermined statistics that would come from the bonuses of the items equipped (or else the first battle in which the Character is Morphed  would not have these.)

Secondly the "Crash the Game" Command (An unused Command for Cid that was never finished) was changed into the Morph Command. This Command changes the graphic of the animation and the event flag to tell whether Paladin Cecil or Dark Knight Cecil are currently in use. There is also a portion of this command that looks to see if a Certain Event Flag has been triggered yet, if it has not a message is displayed and that's it (to prevent the player from starting the game and transforming into the Paladin right away)

Thirdly, and the largest part, the splice from the Pig Code into the Morph Code.

First the game checks to see if the character is actually under Pig status, then it checks to see if the Morph Command has been used and finally checks to see if a bit in Unused RAM has been triggered (which the Morph command does) if all of this succeeds it will systematically start to change the character's sprite, palette, commands, equipment, and shift the entire character data from one place to the other presenting a full-on transformation. The only difference is that their commands when first Morphed in a battle are different than their normal command set because Magic Menus never refreshes in the way that other menus do so instead the Dark Knight and Paladin are given some "Freshly Transformed" abilities that they only have access to in this initial battle of being Morphed. It's not ideal, but it works well enough.

Well, that's what I've accomplished lately, now back to getting those new 72 spells and 44 new Commands to have proper routines...

Maeson

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy IV Hacks - Paladin to Dark Knight in-battle!
« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2015, 12:26:33 pm »
The Crash The Game command is badass enough, but...

That.
Looks.
AWESOME.

Really Really cool feature. By using Morph then, you stay as Dark Knight after the battle and play normally or change whenever you want through a fight?

The limitation in commands doesn't seem much of a problem, it can be seen as a gameplay effect for not abusing morphing, even.
I'm off for some time. If for some weird, strange, and important reason, you need to talk to me, just send me a PM and probably I'll read it whenever I come back.