News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: New Hacks Added to the Database  (Read 10167 times)

RHDNBot

ROM Hacks: New Hacks Added to the Database
« on: December 30, 2013, 11:53:22 am »

Update By: RHDNBot

This is an automated message generated by ROMhacking.net's RHDNBot.

The following Hacks have been submitted and approved to the database (in submitted order oldest to newest):

Relevant Link: (http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/)

Bregalad

• View Profile
Re: ROM Hacks: New Hacks Added to the Database
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 12:31:42 pm »
So I'll finally be able to beat death in Castlevania without savestates ?!

And is it reasonable to have all those 20 SMK hacks separate ?

avanze

• Default User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 12:46:59 pm »
Luigi Bros. the zip file uploaded is invalid.

Kiyoshi Aman

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Browncoat Captain
    • View Profile
    • Aerdan's Blog
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 01:22:56 pm »
Thanks for reporting the issue, it will be fixed shortly.

Plint Michigan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 08:20:52 pm »
I was playing that Rockman Claw 3 game well before this update, and I'm liking it so far. It seems to be a rare hack that tries to change Megaman without making it too unfairly hard. The levels are nice and fair, and the enemies AI has mixed changes, some enemies made harder, others made EASIER.

January 01, 2014, 07:32:39 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Still playing it, still liking it. But watch out, the bosses are tough and demand the use of weapons to beat easily. But overall, this game is pretty tough without being unfair.

...But I'm at Wily's Castle stage 2 right now, and I'm trying to figure out the name of the melody in the background. I'm used to hearing video game music in video game hacks, so I was thrown off when I heard a melody from the anime movie Macross Plus. ...But I'm trying to figure our what the melody's called.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 07:32:39 pm by Plint Michigan »

Josephine Lithius

• THE WORLD IS MINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 07:18:02 am »
You know something that really annoys me?  The fact that there seem to be so many different variations of Super NES ROMs floating around out there.  If you want to play the original game, that's great!  You can play it trained, un-trained, play a bad dump, a good dump, a perfect dump, play it with or without a header and you're set.  A lot of that is completely irrelevant to the game.  But when you want to modify your game with someone else's hack patch?  That's when things become troublesome.

For example, I found my way to this recently-uploaded "Toad's World" hack for Super Mario World.  I happen to have a copy of the "verified good dump" of the game and SNES/SFC ROM Utility.  I figure, "I'll just apply this patch to my ROM and play a whole new game!"
- Attempt #1: Patched and removed the header.  The ROM is broken.
- Attempt #2: Patched and kept the header intact.  The ROM is broken.
- Attempt #3: Expanded the ROM to 32 Mbits manually in Lunar Magic and patched the expanded ROM, removing the header.  The ROM is broken.

I'd like to think that there's something I'm doing wrong here, but no.  No...  Patching Super NES games correctly -- especially Super Metroid and Super Mario World, is one of the single-most difficult tasks I have ever had the misfortune to attempt.  I've grabbed countless hacks from SMWCentral and I'd say I was able to get about 10% of them to work properly with my headered, verified good dump.  Why is it so bloody difficult to apply patches to some Super NES games?!  I just wanna play Toad's World or Brutal Mario for Pete's sake...

snarfblam

• Submission Reviewer
  • CANT HACK METROID
    • View Profile
    • snarfblam
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, 05:47:55 pm »
It doesn't help that there are plenty of hackers out there working on bad dumps or otherwise unverified ROMs. I've done it in the past. As painful as it might be at times, I think RHDN's recent focus on verified ROMs/ROM hashes does a lot of good to help educate people on a generally understated issue that everyone should really be aware of.

That said, after verifying the header/hashes on my copy of SMW (I had to add a header), I was able to patch and play the ROM without a problem. Did you actually verify your ROM against the hashes listed on the hack's page? A utility that checks the ROM and reports it is a verified good dump isn't enough to ensure compatability.

Celice

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2014, 06:47:43 pm »
I agree that it is good overall, but practically for the players of a patch, I don't think it's very well explained what all the stuff means, nor how to find the right ROM based on that info.

I had to search for three different kinds of ROMs for the recent Herecles patch, just as an example :/

Josephine Lithius

• THE WORLD IS MINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2014, 12:29:23 am »
That said, after verifying the header/hashes on my copy of SMW (I had to add a header), I was able to patch and play the ROM without a problem. Did you actually verify your ROM against the hashes listed on the hack's page? A utility that checks the ROM and reports it is a verified good dump isn't enough to ensure compatability.
Well, I did now.  And as you probably figured, the hashes do not match in the slightest, despite the ROM being the "verified good dump" version, according to [the website I got it from].

My Super Mario World ROM's hashes
Spoiler:
Code: [Select]
File MD5      DBE1F3C8F3A0B2DB52B7D59417891117
File SHA-1    553CF42F35ACF63028A369608742BB5B913C103F
File CRC32    A31BEAD4
ROM MD5       CDD3C8C37322978CA8669B34BC89C804
ROM SHA-1     6B47BB75D16514B6A476AA0C73A683A2A4C18765
ROM CRC32     B19ED489

The quest for a compatible ROM continues, I guess...  You'd think the "verified good dump" of the game would be good enough, but apparently not.  *grumble*

Edit: I... you...  Son of a submariner!!  All I had to do was remove the header from my ROM to get it to match the hashes!  And yet despite that, the "Toad's World" patch refuses to patch correctly.  I either get a "bad rom" that does nothing, or a "bad rom" that gives me an SPC700 stall error message in ZSNES v1.52.  I give up.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 12:50:51 am by Doc Lithius »

mrrichard999

• So Goooood! :D
    • View Profile
    • GameFAQS Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2014, 02:47:56 am »
You should get HashTab located in the utilities section of the site, real nice to pull up quick CRC values.

snarfblam

• Submission Reviewer
  • CANT HACK METROID
    • View Profile
    • snarfblam
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2014, 05:57:52 pm »
All I had to do was remove the header from my ROM to get it to match the hashes!  And yet despite that, the "Toad's World" patch refuses to patch correctly.

That tells me you had a good ROM all along. The ROM hash you listed is correct, so you have the right ROM image, and the patch expects a headered ROM. Maybe the issue is your emulator? Sometimes hacks only work with certain emulators. I played the hack with snes9x 1.53.

Unfortunately, the hashes listed on hack pages often don't specify whether they are ROM or file hashes. Some emulators will provide hashes of the ROM image. Hex editors, HashTab, or anything like that will give you a hash of the file, including things like external headers and garbage at the end of the file, and file hashes and rom hashes will not match for headered ROMs like SMC and INES.

Mirby

• The Power's in the Pins
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2014, 05:05:58 am »
I still can't get the hashes to match on Toad's World after patching. I've removed headers, added them, everything, no luck.

Lenophis

• IRC Staff
  • The return of the sombrero!
    • View Profile
    • Slick Productions
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2014, 01:38:06 pm »
The hack page says you need a header. I got it working just fine. Make sure the filesize of the rom is 4,194,816 bytes before patching.

https://ff6randomizer.codeplex.com/ - Randomize your FF6 experience!

Josephine Lithius

• THE WORLD IS MINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2014, 03:26:00 pm »
Well then, I guess the ROM hack is incompatible with ZSNES.  There's apparently a few clean dumps of unaltered games which cause this as well, such as Super Puyo Puyo.  This really sucks for me considering ZSNES is my #1 go-to emulator for all things Super NES/FamiCom.  I have absolutely no luck getting SNES9X to be any kind of stable, regardless of what version I use, and bsnes is out of the question on my laoptop due to the rather high system resources required to run it.

So I guess I was doing it right to begin with, but it's the emulator's fault. (In the specific example of Toad's World, it has to do with the additional ExGFX, apparently.)

Thanks for all your help, everyone.  I really appreciate it.  Your advice did help, but it's an emulator issue, not a ROM/patch issue.

Mirby

• View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2014, 06:09:55 pm »
See I didn't know about the expansion part. Now I have expanded it, added the header, and tested in SNES9x 1.53 and voila, it works.

Thanks for the tip about expansion, Lenophis. :3

That was a lot more work than I expected to get this to work haha

Zynk

• WIP Roll-chan: The Wily Wars
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2014, 10:44:08 pm »
For those who still having problems with Toad's World, you need a headered version. Use TUSH, its a very, very simple utility that add/remove headers.

I tested the hack on ZSNES & it works fine.

Mirby

• View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2014, 01:49:04 am »
I just opened the ROM up in Lunar Magic to add the header after I expanded it via Lunar Expander.