News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Phantasy Star II : resurrecting Nei ?  (Read 26791 times)

tryphon

• View Profile
Re: Phantasy Star II : resurrecting Nei ?
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2014, 06:23:51 pm »
I'll certainly do something like that. What's sad is that there's not much room to add new items. I may try to do something to fix that.

To resurrect Nei via ROM hacking, you can try to put :
4E 71 4E 71 4E 71
at 0xCA58 in the ROM. It should do the trick (not much tested).

Avster

• View Profile
    • Avi Morgan dot com
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2014, 06:27:18 pm »
Will the ending be modified to include this resurrected Nei?

tryphon

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2014, 06:33:30 pm »
If I can find some good art to add in the ending pictures, why not... (shouldn't be too difficult).

etony33

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2014, 08:55:08 pm »
To resurrect Nei via ROM hacking, you can try to put :
4E 71 4E 71 4E 71
at 0xCA58 in the ROM. It should do the trick (not much tested).

What would happen after the battle with Neifirst with this hack?

January 09, 2014, 09:03:47 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
As far as not having room to add new items, it'd be great if you figured out a way. In the meantime, I just replaced items that I probably wouldn't use anyway (Scalpel, Whip, Lacodagger, Ttnm Chest, Ttnm Armor, Ttnm Cape).
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 09:03:47 pm by etony33 »

tryphon

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2014, 10:05:25 pm »
The game should go normally after the battle vs Neifirst, excepted that when you reorganize members at home, Nei is in your team, exactly like before.

It's be more difficult to make her optional, like other members (require hacking completely the menu routine, I think I'll do it later).

To add more items, I plan to hack the way an item is seen as equiped by the program (it sees if id of item is >= 128). If equipable items are well grouped, I may replace this test by something more restrictive, and get some ids back for others items.

etony33

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2014, 10:47:10 pm »
Alright, I will test it out in a couple days.

Dahl

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2014, 09:22:09 am »
You can always mimic Nei from Generation 2.

http://rpg-home.lunar-net.com/psg2-web/heroes_02.htm

Even if she's not as strong physically as the other characters, having her with healing and buffs might make her useful for the late-game (if there's room for new techniques, that is).

etony33

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2014, 02:21:15 pm »
One way to possibly do it (maybe in addition to the sidequest) is this:

If Nei beats Neifirst alone, she lives. If not, she dies.

tryphon

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2014, 02:45:30 pm »
Almost done. I have introduced a new item. If you have it when Nei dies, the scene at the clone lab just after Climatrol is different and Nei is resurrected. Then, when you go to your home to reorganize the party, she's selectable.

If you have not the item, nothing changes.

Now, I have to decide how you get this item... It should have something to do with Biosystem Lab, and I'd like it to force the player to use some uncommon characters as Hugh or Shir. I have no good idea so I'm open to suggestion.

I don't think beating Neifirst with Nei should be necessary (it's not meant to be possible, and it would just need much grinding).

Jeville

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2014, 05:45:44 pm »
Can it work to be given to you after the Neifirst fight? You'd have the choice to respect Nei's wish to die and discard it, or use it to "revive" her. For an item that serves the purpose of the hack, I'm not a fan of the possibility of it being permanently missable, at least not so easily for those who don't read the readme in advance.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 05:54:32 pm by Jeville »

etony33

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2014, 06:24:51 pm »
Hey tryphon...

I changed what you said to change, and no Nei.

I see from your screenshot that you had success, though. I am very new at this, and the possibility that I screwed something up is fairly high. I went to offset CA58 and put in 4E 71 4E 71 4E 71. It did not work. Did I do it correctly? The Game Genie code in this thread did not work, either.

EDIT: The Game Genie code DID work, once I switched from Kega Fusion to Gens. The way to get it to work is to wait until AFTER you have chosen your party (if you want, say, Rolf, Nei, Rudo, and Kain, you have to choose Rolf, someone else, Rudo, and Kain, because that someone else will be replaced from Nei in your party). When Rolf says "Let's get going!", turn the code on, and Nei will be in your party. However, you have to do this every time you change your party. I'd much rather just hack the ROM, though, than go through this process each time. It's the same as hacking the save state to insert Nei.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 07:05:53 pm by etony33 »

tryphon

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2014, 09:16:33 pm »
Copy what you have between 0xCA50 and 0xCA60.

You have to hack your ROM BEFORE going to Climatrol. Ideally, the ROM should be patched since the beginning, but AFAIK, doing this before the battle vs Neifirst should be enough. But doing it after won't work.

etony33

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2014, 10:01:44 pm »
Original was this:
CD 04 52 78 DE 58 4E 75 11 FC 00 01 C7 36 11 FC

Changed to this:
CD 04 52 78 DE 58 4E 75 4E 71 4E 71 4E 71 11 FC

I didn't try doing it prior to Climatrol. I do, however, have a save state from right before the battle with Neifirst. Let me test it out and see if it works, for future reference.

EDIT: Nope, no dice. I beat Neifirst again, and when Rolf went back to his house, Nei was neither mandatory in the party nor available to select.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 10:09:46 pm by etony33 »

tryphon

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2014, 11:14:29 pm »
Strange. Your modification is correct. You did it before Nei vs. Neifirst or Others vs. Neifirst ?

etony33

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2014, 12:10:08 am »
Nei vs. Neifirst.

tryphon

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2014, 12:23:42 am »
I tried from scratch. Indeed it doesn't work. I may have forgotten a previous modification.

I'll provide a correct hack in the days to come.

arromdee

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2014, 01:09:32 am »
That'd be wonderful...if I spoke Japanese. And the steps involved absolutely require you to know what is being said. You have to see every line of text in the game up to Climatrol.

If I understand it correctly, you don't actually have to see every line in the game, but since nobody knows exactly what lines you do have to see, the only way to guarantee that is to see every line in the game, at least until someone hacks the game enough to figure out what the real requirement is.

etony33

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2014, 08:38:55 am »
If I understand it correctly, you don't actually have to see every line in the game, but since nobody knows exactly what lines you do have to see, the only way to guarantee that is to see every line in the game, at least until someone hacks the game enough to figure out what the real requirement is.

True enough, although for all we know, you MAY have to see every line in the game.

tryphon

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2014, 09:49:48 am »
Put 4E71 4E71 4E71 at address 0xb1c6. I tried, it works.

But Nei is now mandatory. To make it optional is much harder. I'll release it when I'll have implemented a way to get the special item.

Avster

• View Profile
    • Avi Morgan dot com
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2014, 01:34:10 pm »
Imagining a new scene:

After Nei is reborn, a random event can occur when the party enters Rolf's house, during which Rudo instructs Nei on how to use large guns similar to his own. The reasoning here is that Nei is pictured wielding such weapons in some of the concept art for the game. It could be explained by the fact that Rudo lost his family, and is taking extra measures to protect her given the incident with Neifirst.

I'm willing to provide the graphical and design work for this sort of change, such as the design of the new weapons, new gunfire and burst effects, and new frames of animation for Nei.

Although I still think that losing Nei is integral to the story of PSII, if you're going to bring her back, might as well give her some more story involvement and battle usability.