News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Phantasy Star II : resurrecting Nei ?  (Read 25827 times)

etony33

• View Profile
Re: Phantasy Star II : resurrecting Nei ?
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2014, 03:03:15 pm »
Put 4E71 4E71 4E71 at address 0xb1c6. I tried, it works.

But Nei is now mandatory. To make it optional is much harder. I'll release it when I'll have implemented a way to get the special item.

Thanks. You're a genius. And I see no reason, story-wise, why Nei SHOULDN'T still be mandatory. In fact, I see no reason, story-wise, why the Clone Labs weren't able to revive her in the first place, since they had no problem doing it up until that point.

tryphon

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2014, 03:15:37 pm »
I think I have read somewhere (maybe in this thread) that Clone Lab Grandma says in fact something like "half of the genes has been lost", and the English translation was inaccurate.

Hence the dialog I added :
Quote from: Grandma
Welcome to the Clone
Labs! Who would you like
to have returned to you?
Ahh, the one called Nei?
I see her DNA data is
incomplete and I normal-
ly can't do anything.
But I see you have
GENOME; I can try to
synthetize missing data

As for Nei carrying guns, it's likely doable but it's questionnable :
- there are already two gun users, one more would be too much
- she's not strong, and would have difficulties carrying an heavy load

But for now, my main concern is : how to bring the resurrecting item in the story ?

Avster

• View Profile
    • Avi Morgan dot com
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2014, 03:58:17 pm »
I think that a reasonable story explanation for Nei's ability to wield heavy guns would be the fact that she's not a human. Who's to say that a fearsome strength is not in her grasp? Perhaps the death of Neifirst unleashes it. Maybe it comes with maturity and practice.

I propose a Bio-Gun side quest, allowing her to obtain a projectile weapon that differs from other guns in the game. Something that uses some of her HP when fired, hits all foes, and upon impact can either cause damage, cause a status ailment, or maybe even reduce the foe's TP. Some sort of special "beam" option could allow her to use the Bio-Gun to drain some HP from a single enemy during her turn, rather than attack.

etony33

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2014, 04:01:23 pm »
But for now, my main concern is : how to bring the resurrecting item in the story ?

Perhaps talking to someone three or four times can get them to give it to you. Having it be in a chest would be too easy. Maybe that guy near the control tower in Piata (considering you'd have no reason to go there anyway prior to fighting Neifirst) could say his normal line the first few times, then "Why do you keep bothering me? What do you want?", then "Yes, I have the GENOME. It can help synthesize data if genes are ever lost in the Clone Lab, which would prevent people from being brought back to life. I don't really have any use for it, though, so I guess you can have it."

Avster

• View Profile
    • Avi Morgan dot com
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2014, 04:41:44 pm »
Would be cool to track down one of Nei's creators in order to obtain her DNA sequence. Perhaps additional NPC dialogue in various towns would point to clues or others with more knowledge, the detective work eventually revealing the identity and location of the biologist in question. He could give some kind of warning even, along the lines of "We already know how dangerous it is to tamper with creation. We don't want another biomonster outbreak, do we?"

tryphon

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2014, 07:36:05 pm »
These are some good ideas but : who has created Nei and Neifirst ?

Avster

• View Profile
    • Avi Morgan dot com
« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2014, 08:27:13 pm »
These are some good ideas but : who has created Nei and Neifirst ?

Nei split from Neifirst -- the first Biomonster -- who scientists had created at the Biosystems Lab during their experiments. Nei's travels eventually led to Paseo and she actually obtained an important vial from one of the scientists who worked on the project, and later sold it to the Clone Lab Grandma. The vial contained essential information about her DNA makeup.

Therefore I would suggest that the sidequest to resurrect Nei involve one of the following scenarios:

a) Learning about and locating the vial which Nei sold to the Clone Lab Grandma.

b) Obtaining new information from a scientist who worked on the project at the Biosystems lab, be it a new vial, a genome report, or whatever else would make sense.

etony33

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2014, 06:04:07 am »
Maybe that guy in Piata IS that scientist. And really, unless they are told to do so, how many veterans of the game are going to talk to a random guy in Piata more than twice? Make it a challenge. Say "Nei CAN be resurrected, but it's up to you to figure out how!"

Of course...you know that somewhere, maybe at PSCave, someone's going to start a thread saying "How do I resurrect Nei in tryphon's hack?", and someone will answer it.

I am personally shocked that no one has come up with a way to alter the code to have Nei stay in your party until now. Even in Numan Revolution, which was a complete makeover (and whoever did it had incredible skills), you had to input a Game Genie code.

OR, and I just thought of this, but I don't know if you can work it in or not...maybe Shir can steal it from a Clone Lab. Make it so she steals a Monomate, like, 99% of the time if she successfully steals, to make it incredibly difficult to get the Genome.
Regarding Nei and guns, I think that would decrease the difficulty level a bit too much. Having Nei and Rudo mowing down robots with Pulse Vulcans would just make it too easy. Having Nei actually INCREASES it late-game if she is mandatory. It's a bit of a trade-off. But that's just my opinion.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 11:11:49 am by etony33 »

Avster

• View Profile
    • Avi Morgan dot com
« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2014, 02:19:10 pm »
Well, the Biogun that I described would not always cause damage, would be much less powerful than Rudo's cannons, and would also drain some of Nei's HP as I described.

However, this conversation has brought my love for this title back to the surface and I'm considering doing a PSII retranslation + modification that will implement this proposed Biogun and other changes. If Nei is to be resurrected in my hack, it will be something that happens later in the game, so that the Player still feels the loss and believes her to be gone for good by the time it happens.

tryphon

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2014, 04:53:58 pm »
The hack I implemented can be set active whenever you want after Climatrol. I'll describe how it works if you're interested.

I'm currently hacking the game precisely for the needs of a translation. I have coded a way to bypass the limited dialogue length.

I'm looking for a way to enlarge the dialog window, then I'll try to implement a VWF.

Avster

• View Profile
    • Avi Morgan dot com
« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2014, 08:33:56 pm »
The game really does need and deserve a complete re- translation and other changes, like the VWF you mentioned, as well as more room for names and items in the menus and subscreens.

tryphon

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2014, 09:15:58 pm »
I'm afraid VWF is too difficult : there's almost no place in VRAM.

I'm changing the display of menu to add more space for names, items, and techniques.

Kite_AM

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 16, 2014, 12:43:36 am »
Tryphon, are you still working on this? I would like to use your hack c:

tryphon

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 16, 2014, 01:59:07 am »
It's paused for the moment : I'm busy with Phantasy Star Generations 2 translation.