News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Phantasy Star II : resurrecting Nei ?  (Read 26483 times)

tryphon

• View Profile
Phantasy Star II : resurrecting Nei ?
« on: December 31, 2013, 10:56:17 am »
Hi,

I was wondering if there exists a hack way to resurrect Nei : GameGenie or Action Replay code, or a hack ?

Has it been made ? I ask for it because if no, I'm planning to look into the asm to see how to do that.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
Re: Phantasy Star II : resurrecting Nei ?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 11:15:52 am »
I can't confirm myself, but I recall reading in a gaming magazine or something that you could revive her by using whatever items revives characters in battle.

tryphon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 11:28:05 am »
Thanks, but I can confirm it's a fake. I tried all regular ways to do that, and none works. If it's possible, it's via a code or a hack.

Dahl

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 11:52:37 am »
GameGenie

Yes, there is.

AHDS-8AAM

It's been awhile since I last used this code, but, if I remember correctly, you are supposed to enter the code after she...leaves, and then she'll magically appear in the party selection screen, among the rest of the characters.

tryphon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 01:05:38 pm »
Thank. I'll try to make a clean hack from that :)

marlin1500

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2014, 08:31:52 am »
You can also let her use slasher by changing 20 which is Anna's weapon code to 22 as Nei's code is 02 I have not tried her with knives but she has no gun animation.

etony33

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2014, 02:58:08 pm »
Thanks, but I can confirm it's a fake. I tried all regular ways to do that, and none works. If it's possible, it's via a code or a hack.

No, it's not a fake. You can use Moon Dew to revive Nei in the battle with Neifirst. Problem is, she dies right after the battle anyway.

cobaltex

• View Profile
    • anime4psp
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2014, 06:08:40 pm »
I would love to see someone make a (side-)quest to revive Nei.

tryphon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2014, 06:44:31 pm »
Problem is, she dies right after the battle anyway.

That.

Therefore, it's a fake  8)

I would love to see someone make a (side-)quest to revive Nei.

That's exactly what I planned to do (a mini side quest though, I wanted to cancel the event preventing to resurrect her, provided you have a certain item. It may be too hard to do.

Azkadellia

• Forum Moderator
  • 提交向你的情妇!
    • View Profile
    • Princess Translations
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2014, 08:55:58 pm »
You could revive her in the PS2 remake. You had to do some convoluted stuff though. Namely, New Game+, have a completed Generation 1 save, and I forget the other steps.
Current Projects: On hold indefinitely.
I do the Twitter thing now: https://twitter.com/MistressSaeko (expect lots of game streaming announcements)
Mistress of the RHDN Discord server.

etony33

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2014, 09:23:54 pm »
You could revive her in the PS2 remake. You had to do some convoluted stuff though. Namely, New Game+, have a completed Generation 1 save, and I forget the other steps.

That'd be wonderful...if I spoke Japanese. And the steps involved absolutely require you to know what is being said. You have to see every line of text in the game up to Climatrol.

tryphon

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2014, 09:55:47 pm »
I'm currently working on the translation of the remake. The English version will take some time, but the French is quite far on its way...

etony33

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2014, 10:28:51 pm »
Well, that'd be awesome.

Piotyr

• I'm useful, honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2014, 07:42:12 am »
Props bro. I can't not wait to play that!

etony33

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2014, 06:49:27 pm »
Just out of curiosity...when you go to Dezo and don't have the Mogic Hat or Magic Hat and talk to people, they just talk in gibberish (with Latin characters) in the English version...what does it look like in Japanese? Is it gibberish with Japanese characters?

tryphon

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2014, 07:04:48 pm »
Gibberish katakanas.

Well, that'd be awesome.

It will, I think  8)

Avster

• View Profile
    • Avi Morgan dot com
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2014, 04:09:37 pm »
The ability to resurrect Nei would reduce or negate the impact of losing her.

Perhaps adding a side quest to gain a mute, emotionless Neifirst or something along those lines, would allow the player to keep a palette-swapped Nei sort of NPC in the party while maintaining the loss that the main character endures by losing her.

etony33

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2014, 07:53:39 pm »
The ability to resurrect Nei would reduce or negate the impact of losing her.

Perhaps adding a side quest to gain a mute, emotionless Neifirst or something along those lines, would allow the player to keep a palette-swapped Nei sort of NPC in the party while maintaining the loss that the main character endures by losing her.

Well, unless there was some SERIOUS editing done to the game, Nei would have no lines or anything like that after Climatrol, since the game would still think she was dead. So, she would be mute and emotionless, and would have no part in the ending, etc. She'd just still be a playable character.

EDIT: Once again, making a sidequest would require some serious changes to the game's code. What I think the OP was talking about would be just a simple change where the game recognizes her as still being either mandatory or optional rather than unselectable when you go to your house to reorganize your party. There's a Game Genie code, as was mentioned in this thread, to do it...but there must be some way to actually edit the game so that it doesn't change her selectability (for lack of a better word) after Climatrol. Unless someone edited further, she'd have no lines or would not be part of the storyline in any way. The storyline would go on as it normally would have without Nei.

FURTHER EDIT: Has anyone used the code mentioned in this thread? If so, I have a couple questions about it:

A) Do you have to turn on the code every time you want to change your party, or does Nei stay in your party for the rest of the game after using it once?
and
B) If Nei dies after using the code, can you revive her at the clone lab as normal, or do you get the "it doesn't really work like that" message like you do after Climatrol, necessitating further use of the code?

FURTHER EDIT AGAIN: Even if the game were altered so that Nei had an actual part in the storyline after Climatrol, would it really lessen the impact of losing her? It's EXTREMELY unlikely that anyone except a veteran of PSII and PS in general would be seeking out this hack. Thus, anyone who would play it would know exactly what the impact of losing her was. It'd just be replaying the game from a different angle.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 08:07:50 pm by etony33 »

tryphon

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2014, 07:00:10 am »
Well, unless there was some SERIOUS editing done to the game, Nei would have no lines or anything like that after Climatrol, since the game would still think she was dead. So, she would be mute and emotionless, and would have no part in the ending, etc. She'd just still be a playable character.

EDIT: Once again, making a sidequest would require some serious changes to the game's code. What I think the OP was talking about would be just a simple change where the game recognizes her as still being either mandatory or optional rather than unselectable when you go to your house to reorganize your party. There's a Game Genie code, as was mentioned in this thread, to do it...but there must be some way to actually edit the game so that it doesn't change her selectability (for lack of a better word) after Climatrol. Unless someone edited further, she'd have no lines or would not be part of the storyline in any way. The storyline would go on as it normally would have without Nei.

I plan to add the possibility to resurrect Nei after Climatrol according to the fact you own a certain item when she dies (let's say a Genome Report). I didn't yet decide how you get this item (I'm studying the code for the moment). I plan to add her some weapon, and maybe a few line of text if she's been revived.

So, yes, there will be some heavy hacking.

etony33

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2014, 05:31:09 pm »
I plan to add her some weapon, and maybe a few line of text if she's been revived.

Without new armor, Nei will be VERY fragile by the time you even get to Gaira. Remember, her BEST armor is the Fiber Vest.

For what it's worth, in my personal hack (which Fedorajoe helped me with greatly, and I cannot stress how much I appreciate that) where Nei is brought back via Game Genie, I gave her three new weapons (FIRE BAR - +48 attack/+5 defense, LACO BAR - +56 attack/+7 defense, NEI BAR - +65 attack/+9 defense), replacing SCALPEL, WHIP, and LACODAGGER (Amy started with a Knife, Hugh with a Dagger). I gave her two new pieces of armor (CRYST VEST - +50 defense, and LACO VEST - +60 defense), one new piece of headgear (NEI RIBBON, +40 defense), and I replaced TTNM CHEST, TTNM ARMOR, and TTNM CAPE (I find these pieces of equipment redundant, as by the time you can go to Kueri, you can also go to Piata and get the upgraded, albeit slightly more expensive, Ceramic armors. I also made SHUNEBOOTS equippable by Nei, although KNIFEBOOTS might actually be the better option. It depends on the player's preference, and how the player plans to use Nei. These new pieces of equipment won't actually make the game easier, I don't think, as a Level 50 Nei with optimal equipment is probably actually weaker than a Level 35 Kain or Anna with their optimal equipment. It's just the novelty of having Nei in your party after Climatrol.